PDA

View Full Version : Wester Union Charges

mdelg55
3rd August 2008, 09:21
:cwm23:WE recently sent via Western Union money remittance to my wife's mother and for the first time ever she was asked to pay Pesos 1.50 centavo a per each 1000.00 Pesos..When I was told this I realLy get upset. We pay already the charges here so why we should pay again? I told to my mother in law that next time if they ask again to go to onother western union office to get her money.What this people think ? We do not make money easy here and we have to work hard to earn the cash...SOMETHING should be done about .....This people ripping off and making illegal money for their fat stomach.......
Is tis happen to anybody else???????

aromulus
3rd August 2008, 09:29
:cwm23:WE recently sent via Western Union money remittance to my wife's mother and for the first time ever she was asked to pay Pesos 1.50 centavo a per each 1000.00 Pesos..When I was told this I realLy get upset. We pay already the charges here so why we should pay again? I told to my mother in law that next time if they ask again to go to onother western union office to get her money.What this people think ? We do not make money easy here and we have to work hard to earn the cash...SOMETHING should be done about .....This people ripping off and making illegal money for their fat stomach.......

I strongly recommend www.xoom.com (http://www.xoom.com)

You can have the cash delivered by courier directly in her hands, or paid into a bank account.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Working time normally 3/4 days.
Maybe not as quick, but cheaper than WU and more convenient.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jencha8569
3rd August 2008, 12:09
sad to say but western union now charging documentary stomp tax to every receiver.
its mandatory on every branch.

David House
3rd August 2008, 12:55
I also strongly recommend Xoom. You can do it online and as well as a door to door delivery, or bank transfer you can arrange a branch pick up, just like WU, with the money available a couple of hours after your deposit. Their charges are signifcantly lower so a better deal all round.
However I would also recommend using one of the remittance forwarders. Once you have set up an account it is quick and easy, the rates much better and the charges much lower. All methods of collection are availaable and the one we use has the money in our relatives hands the next day. Costs £6 per transaction with an exchange rate pretty well on the current button.

WU are a waste of space and should only be used in a dire emergency.

kimmi
3rd August 2008, 18:30
sad to say but western union now charging documentary stomp tax to every receiver.

:omg::omg::omg::omg::Brick::Brick::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

oh no, glad we stopped using it..:bigcry::CompBuster::CompBuster::doh

amyburple
4th August 2008, 08:31
Yea expereinced it last saturday I sdaid why there's a charge where as my hubby paid that duuuuuu... I'm telling my hubby to use xoom but he said he can't use it because it's in dollar.. I guess he can't understand the procedure...

Mrs Daddy
4th August 2008, 09:46
how dare they...I mean I have sent money in western union for about nearly a year now but as far as I know my family never been charged extra for anything.I just happened to transfer money now thru PNB using my hubby`s debit card coz western union doubled their commission now.which is a big NO NO NO

keithAngel
4th August 2008, 11:11

So on 20,000 thats 25p outrageous :omg:

A_flyer
4th August 2008, 11:26
Western Union is lowering the exchange rates by around 3.5%, then you have the fee for sending money thru them and now they are getting another fee for getting the money.

They are very good for getting money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them.

The only advantage now is that they are quick, the sending can be done from home thru internet and the money can be collected within the minute. I did it several times, just by texting the code when the person is already in the pawn shop.

But to be used only in case of emergency, it's really too expensive!

aug06_2006
4th August 2008, 13:28
we using also xoom.com

amyburple
4th August 2008, 13:35
Yes your right... Last weekend I got the money that my hubby sent but before I went there I check what is the exchange rate to pound to peso and it's 87 somethings and the WESTERN U rate is only 85 something awwwww.... It's very depressing coz my hubby used it for 2 years already and then now they're doing this. They already charge the sender at the same time if you gathered the money they gonna charge you too.... that's bullocks^^, :doh:cwm23::yikes::omg::Brick::furious3::NoNo::rolleyes::Erm:

Is there any way to send money that is cheaper aside xoom or bank to bank. Coz bank to bank is bit expensive

tomoboyle2000
4th August 2008, 13:48
mdelg55 you should get yourself a PNB online remitance account, good rates of exchange and cheap to use, have a look at the site www.pnbeurope.com/HOME.htm

amyburple
4th August 2008, 14:20
Is there pnb branch at Scotland esp in Eligin? :Help1::Help1::Help1:

tomoboyle2000
4th August 2008, 14:36
Its all done online for remittance account, just follow the link instructions
The PNB is in London
Queen Victoria Street - Main Office
128 Queen Victoria Street
The City, London EC4V 4BJ
Phone: 02073971340
Fax: 0207 653 1403
Email: remit@pnbeurope.co.uk
Banking Days: Monday-Friday
Banking Hours: 9:30am - 3pm

www.pnbeurope.com/HOME.htm

joebloggs
4th August 2008, 14:56

:D but no :cwm24:

only 2 branches in the uk, both in london :doh

but worth doing, good exchange rate, reliable, handling fee only £5 for sending upto £1000.

you can phone and pay by debit/credit card or online, and if you phone they should have the money in the phils the next day :xxgrinning--00xx3:

only been using pnb for many years :D

amyburple
4th August 2008, 15:18
I only have a switch debit card and not a credit card...can I use it on xoom to send money to my wife to be?or am I better using PNB???..THANK YOU (From Amys BF)

amyburple
4th August 2008, 15:36
Its all done online for remittance account, just follow the link instructions
The PNB is in London
Queen Victoria Street - Main Office
128 Queen Victoria Street
The City, London EC4V 4BJ
Phone: 02073971340
Fax: 0207 653 1403
Email: remit@pnbeurope.co.uk
Banking Days: Monday-Friday
Banking Hours: 9:30am - 3pm

www.pnbeurope.com/HOME.htm

Thanks for the HELP. It helps a lot. My husband to be will do that!
:xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo::Rasp:

benb
4th August 2008, 15:48
For PNB, after registration online (with my debit account details), they sent me an email the following day requesting for a certified copy of my passport and proof of address. What a waste of time and £££!!!!. It seems primitive and they cannot even verify my card details let alone trust them to keep the details safe.

I was really annoyed and told them off on the phone. They should make the procedures clear on the website before taking my account details. I also told PNB to delete all my details.

So be warned, it will take some time to setup your PNB.

Western union is still very quick and reliable. 1.50 peso is so small anyway. It is only 1.7 pence!!

Cheers,

GaryFifer
4th August 2008, 16:10
Yes, but they have to ask for certified copy by law.I would criticise their website as it can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but you perserve to save cash.

joebloggs
4th August 2008, 16:53
Yes, but they have to ask for certified copy by law.I would criticise their website as it can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but you perserve to save cash.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: your right, it's not pnb but the law, when i set my account up, i just needed proof of address, and i sent them a bank statement, but that was back in 2003, things have changed since then :doh

its worth doing, in the old days i had to use rbs royworld express and it cost me upto £40 to send money :yikes:

A_flyer
4th August 2008, 17:32
Coz bank to bank is bit expensive
Get an account at PNB Europe. My wife has there an account in Pesos based in Cebu. She have also an account on a French bank where she get her salary. The transfert from her French Bank to PNB Paris is free of charge (fee = 0€), and the fee for the money to arrive on her account in Cebu is 12€ till 2000€ with an exchange rate usually over P2 the rate at PNB Philippines (that's 3% more... for us) so it's very interresting and less expensive than a direct French bank to PNB Philippines (was 16€ till 1500€). So our gain at each transfert is 4€ + 3% of the amount sent in pesos. Not bad!

The only difficulty we had to open the account is that she had to go in Paris as they need personal appearance and copy of her residency card and passport (they can't open an account for illegal immigrants, they were authorized to reopen in Paris at this condition only).

A_flyer
4th August 2008, 17:40
Western union is still very quick and reliable. 1.50 peso is so small anyway. It is only 1.7 pence!!
Quick ... but expensive, if you check carefully all the fees (including lower exchange rate) you will see that 15 to 25% of what you send goes in Western Union pockets.

amyburple
4th August 2008, 18:53
We will try this PNB, well see if it will work fine! NO harm in trying! Western is quick but now a days there's a big big change:NoNo:

amyburple
4th August 2008, 18:54
Get an account at PNB Europe. My wife has there an account in Pesos based in Cebu. She have also an account on a French bank where she get her salary. The transfert from her French Bank to PNB Paris is free of charge (fee = 0€), and the fee for the money to arrive on her account in Cebu is 12€ till 2000€ with an exchange rate usually over P2 the rate at PNB Philippines (that's 3% more... for us) so it's very interresting and less expensive than a direct French bank to PNB Philippines (was 16€ till 1500€). So our gain at each transfert is 4€ + 3% of the amount sent in pesos. Not bad!

The only difficulty we had to open the account is that she had to go in Paris as they need personal appearance and copy of her residency card and passport (they can't open an account for illegal immigrants, they were authorized to reopen in Paris at this condition only).
Thanks for this details. I will let my hubby read this one so that he will know! God bless

benb
4th August 2008, 21:24
Quick ... but expensive, if you check carefully all the fees (including lower exchange rate) you will see that 15 to 25% of what you send goes in Western Union pockets.

Not really true mate! :Rasp:

Even using the 2 days service (36 hours actually), at an agent (plenty around), works out to be less than 7% overall charge/loss. Assuming £600 transfer cash!

http://www2.ukmoneytransfer.com/PriceIt.asp?Action=SubmitPage

No point sending very small amounts, obviously. The premium service is in minutes, no where near 25% you are claiming unless you are sending a tiny amount.

Check out the link above. My friend and I have used the 2 day service before, no hassle! Still pretty quick compare to most other service

However, I agree that western union is not cheap for bank to bank transfer.

Cheers

andypaul
4th August 2008, 21:30
If you do use Western union the missus still uses it sometimes ie in londona a wu agent open 24-7 somewhere nearby and its there asap.
Make sure you get the wu discount card i know it makes a big diffrence to the fees and she gets points (she doesn't use it often enough to really make much on that scheme)

tomoboyle2000
4th August 2008, 21:36
WU Amount to send : £ 1000.00 GBP Money transfer charge : £ 47.00

PNB Amount to send : £ 1000.00 GBP Money transfer charge : £ 5.00
Thats a big charge diference, they also gain on the exchange rate:Brick:

benb
4th August 2008, 21:52
WU Amount to send : £ 1000.00 GBP Money transfer charge : £ 47.00

PNB Amount to send : £ 1000.00 GBP Money transfer charge : £ 5.00
Thats a big charge diference, they also gain on the exchange rate:Brick:

Yes, PNB is the cheapest so far! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tomoboyle2000
4th August 2008, 22:33
The PNB exchange rate today is Sterling £ to Peso 87.3500
84.83 from Weston U.

A_flyer
5th August 2008, 10:52
Not really true mate! :Rasp:

Even using the 2 days service (36 hours actually), at an agent (plenty around), works out to be less than 7% overall charge/loss. Assuming £600 transfer cash!
Sorry but your 7% do not take in account all their fees.... Like for a loan, what is interresting is what you really pay (including the hidden fees).

On this you have to add their lower exchange rate (my personal calculation taht worked on all my transferts when I used it). They take 3.27% more on this and you have to add now P1.5/P1000 so 0.15%.

7% + 3.27% + 0.15% = 10.42%

So in your example you give 10.42% of what you send to Western Union (so 62.52£).

For the same amount using PNB Europe, it's 5£ (0.83%) on which you add around 0.75% for the exchange rate (I'm always referring on the Interbank rate in both case).

0.83% + 0.75% = 1.58%

So for your example it's only 9.50£ for 600£ sent!

Your gain is 53,02£

I did my choice a long time ago... PNB Europe!!!!

I wrote a table some years ago with this full calculation with Western Union transfers (from 10 to 2000€), and the real fees were really going at 25% is some cases...

benb
5th August 2008, 11:12
Completely wrong again mate! Pls read my post carefully and click on the link!

The 7% already includes all the charges, that is I have already added the 3.5% and 1.5 peso/1000
charge. this is the same £600 example. You have not looked at the link and assumed incorrect charges. Sorry, but your math is completely wrong yet again!

However, I already have agreed that PNB is cheaper. But western union is not as bad as you think.

Cheers

A_flyer
5th August 2008, 11:24
Completely wrong again mate! Pls read my post carefully and click on the link!
Sorry but it's you who is wrong. The 7% is the indicated fee you pay (on their site) and do not include the reduced exchange rate. Nor the new one they add when retrieving the money...

Do the calculation from a real case (the amount you paid and the amount the recipient get) and not from the info they gave on their site. They never tell you in advance that they reduce the exchange rate...

benb
5th August 2008, 11:34
For goodness sake, its ok to make mistakes mate!

Its £15 charge for £600.
Its the 36 hour service I mentioned! That is 2.5%! (15/600 x 100). Than add about 3.5% commission loss, another 0.15% receiving loss. So overall is 7%. Do you understand now? You need a course on math! Sorry

I have already done this with the western union agent and have done a few transfers before including friends!

Get it mate?

A_flyer
5th August 2008, 11:48
On Western Union UK site, they indicate 42£ for sending 600£

with the following remark:
In addition to the transfer fees applicable to each transaction, Western Union will apply a currency exchange rate to convert your funds into foreign currency. Any difference between the currency exchange rate given offered to customers and the currency exchange rate received by Western Union will be kept by Western Union (and, in some instances, its agents) in addition to the transfer.

benb
5th August 2008, 11:58
You have not used western union for a long time I guess, SO you don't know!

Ring them!i've already given you the link to prove the calculations.

The 36 hours service is only available at any agent, plenty around too.

My colleague transferred it a couple of days ago. I used it a couple of times too.

For long term, regular transfers, PNB is the cheapest!

Wu is not that bad.

keithAngel
5th August 2008, 12:27
just looked at there web site and the example they gave was debit card or cash £42 charge to send £600

credit card £51.50ish thats nearly 9% wow money for old rope fx 84p-pound and yes it did eventualy let me put the 2 day option and that was £15.00

xoom seems to want about $50 for that amount by paypal or visa but i guess there are other associated cost to the sender then

alicat
5th August 2008, 13:18
i use western union for nearly 3 years now,
i sent money twice a mounth but as far as i know
my family never been charged for anything.

A_flyer
5th August 2008, 17:20
You have not used western union for a long time I guess, SO you don't know!
Well I avoid tu use it as much as possible to save my money. I prefer to use it for other things that to put it directly in their pockets.
Last time I used it was some months ago anyway...

Ring them!i've already given you the link to prove the calculations.
No need to do expense in phone calls, all is indicated on their web site. I explain again, I seems not to be clear enough:
I go there: www.westernunion.co.uk (http://www.westernunion.co.uk)
I choose "Price Online Services" (middle left of the screen)
Country "Philippines"
Currency "United Kingdom Pound"
Amount 600£

Result on next page:
Money transfer fee* £ 42.00 (so exactly 7% of the 600£ to send)
Estimated exchange rate 1 United Kingdom Pound = 84.1756653 Philippine Peso
Estimated local currency pay out = 50505.40 Philippine Peso

The problem I'm trying to explain here is the rate WU is using, it's too low. It's roughly 3.27% lower than interbank rate (the one I always use is the one here from www.oanda.com/convert/classic (http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic) ).
If I look today, I can see that the OANDA interbank rate is P87.00624 for 1 GBP
So if you remove 3.27% of 87.00624 you find a rate of 84.116 which is not far from the rate they use...
Meaning these 3.27% of the exchange rate is going directly from your pocket to Western Union pocket.

My calculation was and is still accurate: 7%+3.27%+0.15%=10.42%

So you pay £642 and the recipient get P49748 (real exchange rate is 49748/642 = P77.49/GBP).

Same case with PNB (see my calculation is a preceding post):
You pay £605 and the recipient get P51365 (real exchange rate is 51365/605 = P84.90/GBP).

You pay less: you save £37, and the recipient get more money: P1617 more.

I hope my explanation to be clear enough now.

Wu is not that bad.
I don't say they are good or bad, I just say they are expensive. Their only advantage is that the transfert is immediate (within a minute) and the person can immediatly get the money with the code.

joebloggs
5th August 2008, 18:20
never used WU, never will

misses family can wait a day, i'm not wasting £40-£50 just to transfer money, did that many years ago, £5 is all i pay now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

good old pnb :xxgrinning--00xx3:

benb
5th August 2008, 20:04
Well I avoid tu use it as much as possible to save my money. I prefer to use it for other things that to put it directly in their pockets.
Last time I used it was some months ago anyway...

No need to do expense in phone calls, all is indicated on their web site. I explain again, I seems not to be clear enough:
I go there: www.westernunion.co.uk (http://www.westernunion.co.uk)
I choose "Price Online Services" (middle left of the screen)
Country "Philippines"
Currency "United Kingdom Pound"
Amount 600£

Result on next page:
Money transfer fee* £ 42.00 (so exactly 7% of the 600£ to send)
Estimated exchange rate 1 United Kingdom Pound = 84.1756653 Philippine Peso
Estimated local currency pay out = 50505.40 Philippine Peso

The problem I'm trying to explain here is the rate WU is using, it's too low. It's roughly 3.27% lower than interbank rate (the one I always use is the one here from www.oanda.com/convert/classic (http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic) ).
If I look today, I can see that the OANDA interbank rate is P87.00624 for 1 GBP
So if you remove 3.27% of 87.00624 you find a rate of 84.116 which is not far from the rate they use...
Meaning these 3.27% of the exchange rate is going directly from your pocket to Western Union pocket.

My calculation was and is still accurate: 7%+3.27%+0.15%=10.42%

So you pay £642 and the recipient get P49748 (real exchange rate is 49748/642 = P77.49/GBP).

Same case with PNB (see my calculation is a preceding post):
You pay £605 and the recipient get P51365 (real exchange rate is 51365/605 = P84.90/GBP).

You pay less: you save £37, and the recipient get more money: P1617 more.

I hope my explanation to be clear enough now.

I don't say they are good or bad, I just say they are expensive. Their only advantage is that the transfert is immediate (within a minute) and the person can immediatly get the money with the code.

Its the 36 hours service from the start of my post! which is £15 charge for £600! Not the premium service you are talking about which is £42 - i know that, everyone knows that.

So overall its about 7% only for the 36hours service.

PLEASE READ MY POST earlier again and again.

Again, its only available at the agent, cash only.

Why are you so afraid to call them? Man, you are stubborn.:NoNo:

I've used it and available on the link I gave you.

Man, some people just cannot accept defeat! :doh

benb
5th August 2008, 20:11
Please read post 25 of this thread, the start of all this. Get it now?

Please someone, help this bloke. Wrong is wrong. everyone including me makes mistakes.

benb
5th August 2008, 20:19
A_Flyer,

Use this to find your local agent, ring the local number. Its not expensive to call local.
https://wumt.westernunion.com/info/agentLocator.asp?country=global

keithAngel
5th August 2008, 20:28
Please read post 25 of this thread, the start of all this. Get it now?

Please someone, help this bloke. Wrong is wrong. everyone including me makes mistakes.

Yes that may be true (except for the Boss) but not everyone is so keen on victory benb this is mostly a co-operative forum ...with banter....and a bit of tail twisting in good sport......when i looked at the link earlier it didnt show the option you correctly state at the begining but only later when I had twiddled a bit..:ARsurrender::kngt:

benb
5th August 2008, 20:28
never used WU, never will

misses family can wait a day, i'm not wasting £40-£50 just to transfer money, did that many years ago, £5 is all i pay now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

good old pnb :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree! £5 is still the best deal.

I'm looking into the nationwide card for my friend, which is exchange rate fee free overseas. It might beat PNB. But the card owner issue might be a issue. Hmm..??

Cheers

benb
5th August 2008, 20:34
Yes that may be true (except for the Boss) but not everyone is so keen on victory benb this is mostly a co-operative forum ...with banter....and a bit of tail twisting in good sport......when i looked at the link earlier it didnt show the option you correctly state at the begining but only later when I had twiddled a bit..:ARsurrender::kngt:

I don't mean to be rude to anyone. Its a fantastic forum. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've been wrong many times before, and i admit it, but I'll stick to my guns when I'm correct, unless proven wrong.

Best Wishes!

joebloggs
6th August 2008, 20:16
I agree! £5 is still the best deal.

I'm looking into the nationwide card for my friend, which is exchange rate fee free overseas. It might beat PNB. But the card owner issue might be a issue. Hmm..??

Cheers

it depends on what exchange rate nationwide give you, not much is free these's days, especially from a bank :D

andypaul
6th August 2008, 20:49
Dont use Joe but some i asked on here said it was what the fx exchange was saying wich is there or about what PNB have.

Like you say about not much free from a bank and it seems PNB skimp on making life easy for the customer sometimes.

LEAHnew
7th August 2008, 09:40

Yes we experience that as well:NoNo::NoNo:, They've been charging Documentary Stamp Tax, I noticed the letter from WU window,implemented last July 1st but I don't see
further explanation for the said DST:yikes::doh

:xxgrinning--00xx3:Thanks sis for confirmation.

Western Union is lowering the exchange rates by around 3.5%, then you have the fee for sending money thru them and now they are getting another fee for getting the money.

They are very good for getting money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them.

The only advantage now is that they are quick, the sending can be done from home thru internet and the money can be collected within the minute. I did it several times, just by texting the code when the person is already in the pawn shop.

But to be used only in case of emergency, it's really too expensive!

Yes you're right Yves:cwm34:, but in a bright side leaving in a rural area WU is convenient for me, considering its just a step away from my shop:)so safer to collect money:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anyway PNB account will consider in near future:xxgrinning--00xx3:

PeterB
7th August 2008, 20:56
it depends on what exchange rate nationwide give you, not much is free these's days, especially from a bank :D
The exchange rate on using a N/W debit card in Phils is very good - usually better than the PNB rate for the day.

However, I have a problem with N/W ... my card expired at the end of July - I received a new PIN and waited, patiently to receive tha card. In the end I called N/W only to be told that they will not send the card to Phils ... I have to visit a branch (only in the UK?) to collect my card! :cwm23:

benb
7th August 2008, 22:18
The exchange rate on using a N/W debit card in Phils is very good - usually better than the PNB rate for the day.

However, I have a problem with N/W ... my card expired at the end of July - I received a new PIN and waited, patiently to receive tha card. In the end I called N/W only to be told that they will not send the card to Phils ... I have to visit a branch (only in the UK?) to collect my card! :cwm23:

Thanks Peter. My colleagues told me the same too, but the rate changes everyday and follows the bank's exchange rates which are really good.
I'm going to give it a try for my next holiday. I suspect that its better than PNB too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cheers

nomorericepleas
8th August 2008, 09:59
no sense in using western union. in xoom the charges are less and i can send more online. if i try using WU they have a lower limit that i can send. so on both counts XOOM beats western union, no argument.