PDA

View Full Version : driving in the Phils

gingxrick
30th July 2006, 22:24
can anyone give advice on driving in the Phils,... can I drive on my uk licence????:Help1:

walesrob
30th July 2006, 22:32
can anyone give advice on driving in the Phils,... can I drive on my uk licence????:Help1:

:yikes: You want to drive in the Philippines?

Why not take a taxi? Its cheap, friendly and, er, efficent :icon_lol:

scotsfiancee
30th July 2006, 22:40
I think you can drive if you have an international driver's license:Erm: And Rob is right:xxgrinning--00xx3: better take a taxi than to drive with your own.:Hellooo:

KeithD
31st July 2006, 09:32
If you're thinking of your own travelling, I'd hire a motorbike, it's quicker.

mrsfrivolity
31st July 2006, 09:47
I've said this in the other forum and I'm saying it here again...don't be such a nini, you guys!!! :icon_lol: :D

We always hire a car when we're in the PI. I don't drive, Bill does. It's only in the city that driving is a challenge but who wants to spend all their time in the city anyway? As soon as you leave Metro, you're fine. Yes, Pinoy drivers all seem to be on a death-wish when they're on the road so defensive driving is the only way to deal with it.

No, you don't need an international driver's license. Your UK license will do. I find that it's a lot cheaper to hire a car for a whole week than to hire a car just for a day-trip! A whole week would cost 7grand but you have the car at your disposal. A taxi for 1 thou a day will only take you to one place!

It's just so much nicer to have your own vehicle. You can go anywhere you want and when you want too. Imagine all the non-shopping mall places you can go to when you have a car! There are a lot of scenic spots in and around Manila that you can only get through by private transport. Get a map! That's how we've always done it.

Bill and I have driven through little farming villages in Bataan. Just sight-seeing. We stopped along the road so I could take a picture of him in a sugarcane field. Very exciting for farmer boy Bill :Rasp:

scotsfiancee
31st July 2006, 12:12
It's just so much nicer to have your own vehicle. You can go anywhere you want and when you want too. Imagine all the non-shopping mall places you can go to when you have a car!
Better drive Motorbyke:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

fred
31st July 2006, 17:56
Its easy enough to get an RP licence but you will need to show them your British licence..When I did it ,it cost me about 50 Pesos.

russ01539
31st July 2006, 21:16
Apparently the Phil.license involves proving you can start the car, drive about 200 yards and stop. Maybe you can enlighten us Fred.

I hired a car for a day, and found as long as you steer clear of city centres your ok. Just blast your horn if your going past someone, and flash your lights when your overtaking and you'll be ok. It only cost me 10 quid to hire a ford focus type car for the day, and juice is/was about 30 pence a litre !!!

gingxrick
31st July 2006, 22:34
[Thank for the info bill lets hope I dont do any damage to other cars :BouncyHappy:

OTE=mrsfrivolity]I've said this in the other forum and I'm saying it here again...don't be such a nini, you guys!!! :icon_lol: :D

We always hire a car when we're in the PI. I don't drive, Bill does. It's only in the city that driving is a challenge but who wants to spend all their time in the city anyway? As soon as you leave Metro, you're fine. Yes, Pinoy drivers all seem to be on a death-wish when they're on the road so defensive driving is the only way to deal with it.

No, you don't need an international driver's license. Your UK license will do. I find that it's a lot cheaper to hire a car for a whole week than to hire a car just for a day-trip! A whole week would cost 7grand but you have the car at your disposal. A taxi for 1 thou a day will only take you to one place!

It's just so much nicer to have your own vehicle. You can go anywhere you want and when you want too. Imagine all the non-shopping mall places you can go to when you have a car! There are a lot of scenic spots in and around Manila that you can only get through by private transport. Get a map! That's how we've always done it.

Bill and I have driven through little farming villages in Bataan. Just sight-seeing. We stopped along the road so I could take a picture of him in a sugarcane field. Very exciting for farmer boy Bill :Rasp:[/QUOTE]

scotsfiancee
31st July 2006, 23:14
Its easy enough to get an RP licence but you will need to show them your British licence..When I did it ,it cost me about 50 Pesos.
Driver's License in PI it cost like 1,500 pesos, never heard 50 pesos seems like your getting a police clearance:cwm34: :cwm24:
Pinoys really drives crazy, and always blow there horn in the street, like having a party:Help1: ..You will get annoyed sometimes:cwm24: :cwm24: :rolleyes:

fred
1st August 2006, 07:22
Driver's License in PI it cost like 1,500 pesos, never heard 50 pesos seems like your getting a police clearance

Im going back about 7/8 years now when I needed to drive a mate`s Owner jeep from angeles to baguio..His wife took me to an office somewhere,she asked me for P50.00 and 2 week later I had a licence..
P1500 now?:yikes:

fred
1st August 2006, 07:25
Last year I saw about 10 of these wrangler surplus 4x4 jeeps in Cavite..They sell for P300,000 cash P350,000 credit..
Thinking of getting one next year..Anyone seen or driven one?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/12975jeep1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/12975jeep2.jpg

scotsfiancee
1st August 2006, 09:31
Im going back about 7/8 years now when I needed to drive a mate`s Owner jeep from angeles to baguio..His wife took me to an office somewhere,she asked me for P50.00 and 2 week later I had a licence..

Yes Fred it change now, Pi needs alot of money to pay for debt:Brick:

KeithD
1st August 2006, 09:41
.....Pi needs alot of money:Brick:

Sorry, when DID that change?? :laugher:

scotsfiancee
1st August 2006, 09:43
:D :D :Erm:

IMONNA
2nd August 2006, 13:01

I think you can but then on second thought its better if youn hire a driver if you guys have your own car.Why?? some police and traffic officers are likely to find some violation which you didn't commit and you'll find yourself paying for fines . they do this to Filipinos and i think they will likely do it to foreigners . It's safer too. Onething more you'll probably have the shock of your life with the way they drive here:D . But then if you want some unforgettable adventure while here ..:xxgrinning--00xx3: why not??

Pauldo
3rd August 2006, 04:30

I got my first Philippines license over ten years ago, cost over 500 pesos back then. It also took nine months to process, and needed renewing every third year, on my birthday. I'd guess you got a fake one, for 50 p.

fred
3rd August 2006, 06:22
You know,I think I may have missed out a zero!:Erm:
When I call my mate next,Ill ask him..If he remembers!!
He`s 15 years older than me so Im not expecting much:NoNo:

francesca
23rd August 2006, 00:11
we took an fx for 25 pesos each trip to go to malls. FX are everywhere. When u go down, u dont worry about parking. 25pesos fare is all u worry, if that is a worry, hehe. Gong home is another 25 pesos fare.

To have a car in Phils, and the roads are bumpy, u will spend twice the amount to the maintenance.
Thats my ops only. Ohterwise, one can do what they like to do...

easygoingman
23rd August 2006, 11:10
we took an fx for 25 pesos each trip to go to malls. FX are everywhere. When u go down, u dont worry about parking. 25pesos fare is all u worry, if that is a worry, hehe. Gong home is another 25 pesos fare.

To have a car in Phils, and the roads are bumpy, u will spend twice the amount to the maintenance.
Thats my ops only. Ohterwise, one can do what they like to do...

Hiya Francesca otherwise known as 'Mrs Bargain Hunter!' :Rasp:

I might be marrying on the sunny island of Mindanao but it's OK because my finacee says we will hire a car with dark windows so no one can see how pale I am:D

but seriously I don't fancy driving in the Phils, it's a holiday/marriage I want to relax!

dave65
9th October 2006, 14:08
I tried a bit of driving whilst i was out in Leyte my brother in law has a bike out there and took me for a spin then realising i also ride bikes let me have a go i soon twigged the safest way to go was to drive like the locals (if you match the speed of the jeepneys they dont over take you and cut you up) by the time we got home Ron had gone a bit pale (not easy for a fillipno) and was shaking when my wife asked what was wrong he said english drivers are so fast...i know i can be a bit...spirited when i ride but that seemed a bit rich to me (coming from someone who rides a bike with no lights horn or front brake) it seems to be a case of being positive and standing your ground but not actually driving agressively