PDA

View Full Version : After we are married??

AJS
31st August 2008, 18:47
hi, further to my post the other day about asking advice for the fiance visa, i still need help if anyone has any tips, i am interested in finding out about what happens after we are married with regards to applying for the settlement visa and changing her name on the passport.

We want to know which way it works, because looking on various websites, it appears it can take up to 6 weeks to get her name changed in the passport, then we have to apply for the settlement visa, or are we supposed to do the visa first then change her passport. Apparantly the philippine embassy have new technology which means we can not amend a passport, but have to renew it, which is why it takes so long. has anybody had recent experience of this or can anybody give us guidannce on this.

many thanks

ajs

Geraldine
31st August 2008, 20:40
Hi!

I already got my ILR and still hasn't changed my Phil passport. Anyway its still valid until next yr and it doesnt matter if its in my maiden name. However I will apply for Brit passport soon using my married name.

After marriage, apply for spouse visa...if she is already here in UK then she just needs to apply for ILR after 2 yrs. You dont have to worry just yet about renewing her passport unless it has expired.

Hope that helps.:)

AJS
31st August 2008, 20:52
yer thats great thanks,

you may be also able to help with another query, i have no savings but my gf has some, would that be ok or do i need to wait a few months to show evidence of my ability to save?

vbkelly
1st September 2008, 10:12
saving is doesn't matter as long as you can look after her and got stable job and your banks account is not empty

Geraldine
1st September 2008, 10:21
Hi ajs,

Its better if you can BOTH show you got savings in your bank accounts. You will need to provide last 3months of bank statements as evidence of finances.

:)

AJS
1st September 2008, 21:19
thanks for your help, i think we are going to wait a few extra months so i can save a little so we both have savings and by doing that i will be able to show evidence i have spare income to support my fiancee.

Andy :)

Piamed
1st September 2008, 21:35
My understanding based on what i have seen here over the past few months is that disposable income is probably the most important thing. I.e. that you have a couple of hundred pounds left over each month to meet the needs of your wife as required.

Sure savings will help alot but I think disposable income is more important. Many on here do not have significant savings following the weddings costs, etc and I imgaine that the ECOs are aware of this too.

Just my thoughts!

AJS
1st September 2008, 22:02
yer thats what im thinking to, and i can get a statement from my dad saying he will support us if we ever suffered financial difficulties. i have also read though having an overdraft is bad news i have one. but i still have disposable income of about 500 a month. im confused as to if this will be ok or not.

AJS