PDA

View Full Version : ILR -the steps in applying in person

jbt
7th September 2008, 13:09
hi guys,

me and hubby would like to recommend the ILR application in person for those who will be willing to pay extra for the fast track service and they called it premium in the application and get the result the same day(they aim to decide 90% w/in24 hours - as mentioned in the application). Also, applications w/c are not atraight forward and/or w/c require further enquiries take longer to decide.

after collecting all the supporting documents and letters we did the following procedure.

1) we called the home office to inquire when it is valid for us to submit our application in person, you must have all the details w/ you while talking to the home office staff (i.e. the date your visa was granted, the day you entered the country and what type of visa do you have). they will work out the earliest and the latest day when you can apply in person. Then you can choose and confirm an appointment. they will ask for your full name and date of birth and at the end they will give you a reference confirmation number.

also, i asked if we need to reconfirm the appointment and she said that there is no need and that they will just send a text message to remind of the application (in our case, we recieved the text message from them the day before our application date) .

2) our appointment is at 10 am and the home office staff asked us to come 30minutes in advance because there will be security checks.

3) after the security checks, there will be someone to direct you on which qeue you will proceed based on the type of your application. Then you will be interviewed briefly by someone to confirm that your dates(i.e. the date your visa was granted, the day you entered the country and what type of visa do you have)and documents are ok, if everything is in order, the staff will then give you a paper w/your reference number on it and direct you to the next step.

4) W/c is paying the fee to the cashier and you will then be directed to go to the waiting area for your reference number to be called.

5) When your reference number is called you will be asked to go to a certain window and there you will be submitting your papers, she did not asked us many questions(but this is based on our case as all our paper works were in order).although they had dropped the required doc. to 6 letters we still submitted as many as we could as evidence. the home office staff will go through the documents and decide w/c letters will be shown to their supervisor for appproval.

6) after waiting for 5 to 10 minutes she came back and told us that our application was approved and i was granted an indefinite leave to remain. The home office staff then asked us that it will take more or less 2 hours to update the passport, you can either leave the building and come back or just wait there for your reference number to be called to get your updated passport.

7) in our case, we just waited there and after an hour and a half, they called us and finally got my updated passport.

**Please make sure that all your documents are segregated based on the year and in order for that year.
**Please note that all the above procedures were based on our case and experience and we are hoping that the same will be applied to yours.

The home office staff were all friendly and helpful and will make you feel comfortable while in there.

PS , my hubby said that this is the best £950 we had ever spent, as the headache that i will give him for 14 weeks of waiting if we applied by post. :Cuckoo:

Goodluck to all who will apply for their visa :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

Geraldine
7th September 2008, 13:21
Hi! I applied ILR by post last July and got it after 4wks...not bad really. :)

joebloggs
7th September 2008, 15:11
PS , my hubby said that this is the best £950 we had ever spent, as the headache that i will give him for 14 weeks of waiting if we applied by post. :Cuckoo:

your hubby must have too much money :D, i wouldn't give the gov £950 for doing something that should be free :NoNo:

no heartache using the post, ILR will all most certainly be granted if you have provided the evidence they ask for. the hard work was done when you applied for your spouse visa, thats why they can grant you ILR almost instantly. its a con :censored:

but at least you don't need to worry about it now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
7th September 2008, 16:31
Great guide to going in person, exactly how I remeber it.

I know it does seem crazy but for many the lack of worrying and what have you does make a big difference. Which is worth the 200 pounds, although it would be nicer if not so much or free.
others have to have their Passport in Hand quicker and several other reasons.

walesrob
7th September 2008, 16:43
And then it happens all over again when it comes to getting a British Passport, but judging by the application form for British Citizenship, its even more money for less work. Elsa was very lucky as she applied for the Spouse Visa and then ILR before all these huge price rises and the introduction of the Life in the UK test. However, now that she's eligible for UK Citizenship, we can't blinkin well afford it. /rant over
:cwm34:

joebloggs
7th September 2008, 17:31
And then it happens all over again when it comes to getting a British Passport, but judging by the application form for British Citizenship, its even more money for less work. Elsa was very lucky as she applied for the Spouse Visa and then ILR before all these huge price rises and the introduction of the Life in the UK test. However, now that she's eligible for UK Citizenship, we can't blinkin well afford it. /rant over
:cwm34:

i can't afford it either, but i'll shove it on my credit card rob, because i cannot afford not to, i'm sure it will cost more next year or you'll have to wait longer (probationary citizenship :action-smiley-081: shes lived here nearly 3 1/2yrs, worked for the nhs more than 2 yrs, and shes not good enougth to be a citizen, want her to do community service ? :censored:), i'm not prepared to be :censored: by the gov again. last thing i'll have to pay for, then they can't do :censored: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
7th September 2008, 18:21
i can't afford it either, but i'll shove it on my credit card rob, because i cannot afford not to, i'm sure it will cost more next year or you'll have to wait longer (probationary citizenship :action-smiley-081: shes lived here nearly 3 1/2yrs, worked for the nhs more than 2 yrs, and shes not good enougth to be a citizen, want her to do community service ? :censored:), i'm not prepared to be :censored: by the gov again. last thing i'll have to pay for, then they can't do :censored: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'd laugh if the phills brought in the same policy for all you sit under the tree types:D

Ana_may365
7th September 2008, 20:28
just asking if the ILR is same with residence permit?;);)

benb
7th September 2008, 21:40
your hubby must have too much money :D, i wouldn't give the gov £950 for doing something that should be free :NoNo:

no heartache using the post, ILR will all most certainly be granted if you have provided the evidence they ask for. the hard work was done when you applied for your spouse visa, thats why they can grant you ILR almost instantly. its a con :censored:

but at least you don't need to worry about it now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree too!

The outcome is still the same for in person and by post. The good reason for in person application would be if you need to travel urgently etc. Two of my friends did the ILR in person, one even paid a lawyer to do the application which costs £2000 in total I think. Its nuts! :yikes:

Best Wishes,

andypaul
7th September 2008, 23:18
I agree too!

The outcome is still the same for in person and by post. The good reason for in person application would be if you need to travel urgently etc. Two of my friends did the ILR in person, one even paid a lawyer to do the application which costs £2000 in total I think. Its nuts! :yikes:

Best Wishes,

Same outcome as long as you dont have all your paperwork lost/mislaid/pinched by a staff member by either the royal mail or peo:D

benb
7th September 2008, 23:47
Same outcome as long as you dont have all your paperwork lost/mislaid/pinched by a staff member by either the royal mail or peo:D

Actually that was the same reason my friends told me too. They were too worried about the postal services. Oh well, accidents can happen to anything and anyone.

Best Wishes,