PDA

View Full Version : help! about username and password

gemini63
14th September 2008, 18:16
I bought a second hand laptop computer from a carboot.Its so cheap thats why i got it, thinking i can bring it to phil as present to anybody.When i tried it at home its working, but asking username and password to continue.Pls advise how will i do it,coz i hvnt got the contact number of the seller to ask.Is there any way to know, or change it?

trina
14th September 2008, 18:18
Reformat it...I think

KeithD
14th September 2008, 18:54
If it is XP do CTRL+ALD+DEL twice, depending how it is setup that can take you into the Admin.

joebloggs
14th September 2008, 18:58
is it a power on password ? soon as you turn the computer on it ask you ?

if it is, then you can try going into the bios, sometimes says when you power it on, press del or f10 etc to enter setup, you can see if you can disable it there, but unlikely you will, probably will need a cmos battery taking out or a jumper on the motherboard, or you might not be able to do it at all, may need some sort of dongle

what make and model is it ?

or does it start to load windows, and ask you for a user name/password ?

if it does you can go into safe mode, and download a program off the net that will reset the windows admin password :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gemini63
14th September 2008, 19:02
If it is XP do CTRL+ALD+DEL twice, depending how it is setup that can take you into the Admin.

tnx boss...Ive tried it just now and it goes to admin but still asking password..What will i do now? sorry for dsturbing.It is xp. box of admin and the username was there both on screen but asking password so i can proceed.

gemini63
14th September 2008, 19:08
is it a power on password ? soon as you turn the computer on it ask you ?

if it is, then you can try going into the bios, sometimes says when you power it on, press del or f10 etc to enter setup, you can see if you can disable it there, but unlikely you will, probably will need a cmos battery taking out or a jumper on the motherboard, or you might not be able to do it at all, may need some sort of dongle

what make and model is it ?

or does it start to load windows, and ask you for a user name/password ?

if it does you can go into safe mode, and download a program off the net that will reset the windows admin password :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Already starts to load windows and ask for username and password....how to download a program off the net?Im very sorry for dsturbing.I really hv no so much know how in computer.

KeithD
14th September 2008, 19:13
Joe will tell you what program to download....you then need to copy it to the new PC....and run it in Safe Mode..

gemini63
14th September 2008, 19:18
Joe will tell you what program to download....you then need to copy it to the new PC....and run it in Safe Mode..

tnx again boss.Il wait joe for his advise what to download and i will try it...Hope i can make it this time.

joebloggs
14th September 2008, 19:37
oh thanks scouser keith, but i can't help you there, as you would need to purchase the s/w :icon_lol:

but a good util cd is hirens boot cd :D

i cannot tell you where to get it from, as i think much of the s/w is copyrighted :Erm:, and i don't know

but i'm sure if you goggled something like 'rapidshare hirens boot cd'

that might help you :D

if you do manage to find it, you need to unzip the file, burn it to a cd, i hope your pc has a cd or dvd if not i'm wasting your time :D

and you might need to set the bios in your computer so it boots from cd first, then turn the portable on, and hopefully it will boot to hirens menu..

oh i'll tell you which menu and program it is on the cd if you get this far :doh

aromulus
14th September 2008, 19:46
tnx boss...Ive tried it just now and it goes to admin but still asking password..What will i do now? sorry for dsturbing.It is xp. box of admin and the username was there both on screen but asking password so i can proceed.

It wasn't by any chance a scouser that sold it to you... was it....????:rolleyes:

gemini63
14th September 2008, 20:01
oh thanks scouser keith, but i can't help you there, as you would need to purchase the s/w :icon_lol:

but a good util cd is hirens boot cd :D

i cannot tell you where to get it from, as i think much of the s/w is copyrighted :Erm:, and i don't know

but i'm sure if you goggled something like 'rapidshare hirens boot cd'

that might help you :D

if you do manage to find it, you need to unzip the file, burn it to a cd, i hope your pc has a cd or dvd if not i'm wasting your time :D

and you might need to set the bios in your computer so it boots from cd first, then turn the portable on, and hopefully it will boot to hirens menu..

oh i'll tell you which menu and program it is on the cd if you get this far :doh

Tnx joe.Il try to understand how to do what u mean...He..he..il try to study how..Il just come back later wtever...

gemini63
14th September 2008, 20:07
It wasn't by any chance a scouser that sold it to you... was it....????:rolleyes:

he..he.. i dont think so.Only i just take a chance to buy it coz of so low price, coz in my mind if it doesnt work, il just hv it aside.

joebloggs
14th September 2008, 20:07
do you know how to unzip a file
burn a cd
if not ask a friend :D

or like someone has said already you could reinstall windows, but it might take you a while to find some of the drivers if they are not already included in windows xp or what ever your going to install.

gemini63
14th September 2008, 20:17
do you know how to unzip a file
burn a cd
if not ask a friend :D

or like someone has said already you could reinstall windows, but it might take you a while to find some of the drivers if they are not already included in windows xp or what ever your going to install.

Can i reinstall? what will i do? I hv here a driver... window xp. Can i install direct without any other move to make or erasing?It seems easier maybe to re install. than unzip coz seems dont really know it yet, and nobody here near me to ask...Im sorry again he..he..But il try my best.

joebloggs
14th September 2008, 20:23
if you have a xp cd and a license number for it, then might be better if you reinstalled it :D

IainBusby
15th September 2008, 09:26
If you know anyone who works in IT who can lend you a copy of Winternals ERD commander, this will boot into a Windows XP shell and allow you to re-set the password for any account on the machine using an inbuilt utility called Locksmith. There are other programs around which you can download and I have one at work somewhere, but I'm at home today and I can't remember what it's called right now.
Iain.

KeithD
15th September 2008, 09:50
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305