PDA

View Full Version : Average age of expats

subseastu
23rd September 2008, 15:55
I'm seriously thinking about making the permenent move to the phils soon. I thought about this when I first met my wife in Olongopo City. The biggest problem I had was the age groups / type of the expats there.

They seem to fall into two groups. Young middle aged (my group) who are there to get as drunk as possible and to enjoy as many of the girls as possible, if you get my meaning.

The other group seems to consist of 60 odd yr old retirees. Nothing wrong in that but its difficult to find alot in common with a 65 yr old bloke from Oz.

So I'm wondering if there are any middle aged chaps who have settled out in the phils who lead a relatively normal life that doesn't revolve around the next san mig in the next go-go bar and prove me wrong about young brits on the lash.

PeterB
23rd September 2008, 16:42
Well, I'm not quite a 60 odd y/o retiree .... yet. However, I guess that I'm a little beyond your definition of 'middle aged'!

I'm not even sure what a 'san mig' is, and I've certainly never been in a go-go bar.

However, if you're not ready to retire, you may find it difficult to obtain gainful employment out here.

Ana_may365
23rd September 2008, 18:43
hiya!PeterB,san mig means 'san miguel light'.and smb means 'san miguel beer :NoNo: :D

GaryFifer
23rd September 2008, 18:53
I stumbled across Bob Martin site:

http://liveinthephilippines.com/

(I hope admin does not mind me pointing you to his site) when i was looking for Philippines shops to send flowers, gifts and shopping in general. Bob Martin is a USA guy who has retired out in the Phils. So he point you in the right direction. Good luck, from what I read, its not as easy as you think.Money will not prepare you for the many challenges. Hope you do well with some ventures.

fred
24th September 2008, 07:23
So I'm wondering if there are any middle aged chaps who have settled out in the phils who lead a relatively normal life that doesn't revolve around the next san mig in the next go-go barLots of places to live or retire to here that have no "go go bars"
Where I live for example those type of establishments are totally prohibited.
In regards the San mig comment with the "relatively normal" snip..
The answer is probably not. I hear theres a Norwegian chap here somewhere that sips on buku juice all day but then he lives way up there on the bukid thicket..
He`s must be quite mad in my view so there goes your "relatively normal" requirement..
Sorry ... But just cant help...
Im 26 BTW.