PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay in Bohol?

Fitzy
21st October 2008, 19:55
Hi guys.

As some of you may know, I am traveling to Cebu in Jan, and would like to stay in Bohol with my future Fiancee.
The Internet is a bit of a minefield with lots of choices/prices.
Can anybody please share their recent experiences with me please with regard to decent places to stay/good prices.
Am looking to visit the chocolate hills, and other main places of touristic interest.

A great many thanks in advance.

Philip....:)

Sim11UK
21st October 2008, 21:39
Hi Fitzy my gf & I, spent a few days on Bohol, a couple of weeks ago.
We went to Panglao Island & stayed at Alona Tropical Beach Resort.

In my usual fashion, we just turned up there & found somewhere to stay.

On arrival, we went to the Tourist Office, but have to say we didn't have much luck there. Just right by the Office, was a little booth. The woman in it, was an agent. With a bit of ringing around, she found us the Alona Tropical Beach resort...I have to say, this woman was very helpful & friendly. She helped us, with trips around the Island & with a car, when we had to leave.

Alona Tropical Beach resort, is literally just off the beach, set in nice gardens, with a swimming pool. (Better to swim in the sea, it's free.) We had a nice comfortable room, not luxurious, but perfectly fine.
There is a Restaurant there too. (It was handy to eat there one night, as we legged it from our room, in pouring rain.)

Prices are reasonable, we didn't pay the price they advertised, but bear in mind, the whole Island is expensive. I think prices probably vary throughout the year. I'd recomend it though.

There are many resorts there, ranging from the bottom end, right up to sheer luxury, with prices to match.

Plenty of places, to eat on the beach... At night, they put tables & chairs, right down to the shore, with candles...great for a bit of wooing!

As for the Chocolate Hills, there are plenty of trips there. Just hire a van or car, for the day with a driver. He'll take you to various places. Loboc River, the Tarsiers etc. The lady in the booth helped us with this one again.

It's a really nice place, to go for a few days & relax...enjoy.

P.S. reading another of your posts, I see your gf comes from Cagayan de Oro City. "The City of Golden Friendship"...Mine does too. I really like it there...Feels like a 2nd home. :)

keithAngel
22nd October 2008, 03:00
Hi guys.

As some of you may know, I am traveling to Cebu in Jan, and would like to stay in Bohol with my future Fiancee.
Can anybody please share their recent experiences with me please with regard to decent places to stay/good prices.
Am looking to visit the chocolate hills, and other main places of touristic interest.

Hi Philip I dont know exactly what you have in mind but Nuts Huts on the Loboc river caught my eye its on page 271 of the lonely planet philipines guide and run by a Belgian couple

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294259-d616778-Reviews-Nuts_Huts_Resort-Bohol_Visayas.html

http://www.nutshuts.com/

fred
22nd October 2008, 03:48
Ive been here about 8 months and the descriptions above are far better than I could supply!
We had some friends from UK come to visit and after a long search along alona we found a small hotel which had some really nice rooms and we managed to get them promo prices..1,900 I think.. Dont ask me the name as I cant remember. (I was blotto at the time) Its about halfway down the beach and it has a concrete ramp up to 1st floor.
Theres another place that I cant remember the name of..
When you go down the road that leads to the beach turn right..Keep going till you get to a guarded barrier..Behind the barrier is a newish place owned by a Yank..Nice clean rooms at around P2500 a night.
.There are other places but if I try to describe how to get there will probably take you to somewhere like the local cemetery.
We went up to the Choco hills(again!!) and on the way stopped off at the butterfly farm..Not many people know about the place but they have cottages for around 400P a night that are set in the butterfly gardens.(Guides are excellent)
If you want a good laugh on your way back from Loboc arrange for the driver to stop at the Python place..(He`ll know) I wont spoil the surprise by telling you why its a laugh BTW!! (clue.. Starts with a B ends with a T.)
Other places to check out are left of Bohol beach club (Public beach) Bohol bee farm which is just down the road..
Or is it up??

Regards Fred..
(Your resident noob)

Sim11UK
22nd October 2008, 08:36
Hi Philip I dont know exactly what you have in mind but Nuts Huts on the Loboc river caught my eye its on page 271 of the lonely planet philipines guide and run by a Belgian couple

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294259-d616778-Reviews-Nuts_Huts_Resort-Bohol_Visayas.html

http://www.nutshuts.com/

Yes, we saw Nuts Huts, when we took a little trip on the river, to see the waterfall. Also stopped on a raft, where some kids, were singing, dancing & playing ukelele's. Had our photos taken. They were really good...Didn't try the floating restaurants though. :)

Fitzy
22nd October 2008, 21:08
Is it the muts nuts?:D:D:D hehehehe
Guys, I must say you have been so fantastic, and am following up your recommendations:)

I will keep you informed as to our final choices, and indeed write a nice thread after our three weeks together.
This will be our 2nd meeting, and am so very excited for January '09

Thanks again.

Philip..:):):D:D

Fitzy
22nd October 2008, 21:16
Hi Fitzy my gf & I, spent a few days on Bohol, a couple of weeks ago.
We went to Panglao Island & stayed at Alona Tropical Beach Resort.

In my usual fashion, we just turned up there & found somewhere to stay.

On arrival, we went to the Tourist Office, but have to say we didn't have much luck there. Just right by the Office, was a little booth. The woman in it, was an agent. With a bit of ringing around, she found us the Alona Tropical Beach resort...I have to say, this woman was very helpful & friendly. She helped us, with trips around the Island & with a car, when we had to leave.

Alona Tropical Beach resort, is literally just off the beach, set in nice gardens, with a swimming pool. (Better to swim in the sea, it's free.) We had a nice comfortable room, not luxurious, but perfectly fine.
There is a Restaurant there too. (It was handy to eat there one night, as we legged it from our room, in pouring rain.)

Prices are reasonable, we didn't pay the price they advertised, but bear in mind, the whole Island is expensive. I think prices probably vary throughout the year. I'd recomend it though.

There are many resorts there, ranging from the bottom end, right up to sheer luxury, with prices to match.

Plenty of places, to eat on the beach... At night, they put tables & chairs, right down to the shore, with candles...great for a bit of wooing!

As for the Chocolate Hills, there are plenty of trips there. Just hire a van or car, for the day with a driver. He'll take you to various places. Loboc River, the Tarsiers etc. The lady in the booth helped us with this one again.

It's a really nice place, to go for a few days & relax...enjoy.

P.S. reading another of your posts, I see your gf comes from Cagayan de Oro City. "The City of Golden Friendship"...Mine does too. I really like it there...Feels like a 2nd home. :)

That's really nice Sim, I speak Spanish, but there was no translation for Cagayan lol
Thank you for that:D
Pls read ur PM mate.

Phil..

keithAngel
23rd October 2008, 00:41
Phillip if you are staying in Cebu for a night or two I would also recommend the Diplomat Hotel on F Rama I hunted around after I arrived and was impressed by their "deluxe" rooms in the old wing promo price 1360peso for 39 sq mt ,air con, room safe, two beds hot and cold shower totally safe internet is a bit pricey but wi-fi for 80p an hour but on the north side room 304 I could often get a poor signal free from bigfoot ok for emails.

Its within walking distance of Robinsons Mall and the Fuente Osmena Circle Metro bank next door up to 20000 a day on the same card from their ATM, a couple off good travel agents for ferry bookings and best of all a five Minuit walk to Casa Verde a pleasant restaurant with very good ribs and steak 155 - 200peso

Fitzy
23rd October 2008, 21:05
Phillip if you are staying in Cebu for a night or two I would also recommend the Diplomat Hotel on F Rama I hunted around after I arrived and was impressed by their "deluxe" rooms in the old wing promo price 1360peso for 39 sq mt ,air con, room safe, two beds hot and cold shower totally safe internet is a bit pricey but wi-fi for 80p an hour but on the north side room 304 I could often get a poor signal free from bigfoot ok for emails.

Its within walking distance of Robinsons Mall and the Fuente Osmena Circle Metro bank next door up to 20000 a day on the same card from their ATM, a couple off good travel agents for ferry bookings and best of all a five Minuit walk to Casa Verde a pleasant restaurant with very good ribs and steak 155 - 200peso

Thanks keith, but will be staying at the Cebu North winds Hotel, pretty much the same as you described, and around Php1,200 per night.
You mentioned Bigfoot. Is this a free public wi-fi service??

Cheers.

Phil

keithAngel
24th October 2008, 05:05
Thanks keith, but will be staying at the Cebu North winds Hotel, pretty much the same as you described, and around Php1,200 per night.
You mentioned Bigfoot. Is this a free public wi-fi service??

Cheers.

Phil

Its an unprotected one:xxgrinning--00xx3: the Hotels tend to take the pŁ%^&ss with internet

miayela
24th October 2008, 09:44
Hi guys.

Hi Philip my in-laws arrived here january just this year and we went to Panglao Island in Bohol its a nice beach resort and theres a lot of hotels you can choose where to stay but me and my in-laws with my husband and daughter stayed in Alona beach resort the price of the hotel is of good value and nice hotel..

Then we went also to check out chocolate hills, floating restaurant, the tarsier to make our stay more worth it we just rented a van just ask the hotel staff cause they can provide you assistance if you want to check out those places in just one day..

Enjoy your stay with your fiancee in Philippines soon ...

Eljohno
28th October 2008, 13:21
Hi guys.

I have had the pleasure of staying at Panglao beach 4 times and at different resorts.

Crystal Coast has just had a lot of money spent at it and has a good swimming pool and nice accom. It is at the end of the beach(up a few steps) and although it was the 1st place i stayed at i visited it on my last trip and was very impressed and would go there next time. I suggest you look at their website and if you decide to stay there as to stay at the new buildings.

Lost Horizon i have stayed here 3 times and find the staff very nice. They have a small pool and nice food. I would suggest you stay at their new building a pay the extra for the rooms nearest the beach with the best rooms. I also found that if you ask they will give you some discount. This resort is at the other end of Alona beach but as the beach is not huge you are still close to everything. Also check out their website.

J

vbkelly
28th October 2008, 13:40
Hi guys.

check this website www.bohol.ph

Hammer
28th October 2008, 14:30
Went there with gf in August. Stayed at Pangalo Island at Lost Horizon. Nice room around Php 2000 per night. Nice outside bar over looking beach. Good for a couple / few days but unless you are diving that will proabbly do it.

Can hire a car and driver to take you Chocolate Hills and tariser. About 2500 Php if my memory serves me correct.

Worth a short visit.

Then went and stayed a night in the city. Tagilarian, please excuse my spelling. Was a little out of town at Korfe appatments I think it was called. Php 1500 per night with breakfast.

David House
28th October 2008, 16:07
Connie comes from Tagbilaran so I have been to Alona many times. There is a wide choice of accomodation there and unless you are going at a particularly busy time I would recommend just arriving and doing a small tour to select something you like. What is "best" for someone else is not always right for you. One firm recommendation though is Oops Bar for a few drinks or a meal. It's always fun in there with banter at the bar. We often stay at the Lost Horizon and are greeted as old friends there by their staff. Their bar can also be a fun place to hang out. The "standard" sightseeing trip is very easy to arrange, you will receive offers of help the moment you arrive. Do eat on the floating restaurants, its worth it. Another worthwhile day out is to leave early to see the Dolphins then get the boat to take you over to Balicasig(spelling?) island for some snorkling over the inshore reef which is a protected area. The reef is very shallow and safe for poor swimmers and the fish plentiful and very beautiful. Then lunch on the island before back to Alona. The boats will cost around 2000 pesos and can take maybe 6 people and you will receive many offers as soon as you stroll along the sand. I also recommend snorkling on the house reef at Alona which is only about 100 metres offshore and you can walk halfway at low tide. The diving there is also very good and it's easy, and fairly cheap to learn if you are a newcomer. If though your reason for being there is just romance your lady might not appreciate it as it takes 3 days, not all day but a good piece of it!

Fitzy
2nd November 2008, 17:17
Wow, so many responses:D
Thank you all so much for this, and helping me plan my visit more easy:)
After a week in Bohol, we will be off to Camiguin Island.
Have started another thread reference this.

Thanks again:)

fred
3rd November 2008, 03:31
The diving there is also very good and it's easy, and fairly cheap to learn if you are a newcomer.My son did his open water at Scuba world (alona). 9 dives, 16,000 Pesos.
You can get far cheaper deals but some of these instructors expect you to qualify with only 3 dives to your name which is crazy IMO..
You certainly get what you pay for.
If you want a less touristy bar than Oops,give Trendi`s a go..All day happy hour and P25.00 for an SMB..
We got lucky at Bohol beach club a few weeks back..No entrance,and P200.00 drink all you can!!
Needless to say..

Fitzy
3rd November 2008, 21:25
My son did his open water at Scuba world (alona). 9 dives, 16,000 Pesos.
You can get far cheaper deals but some of these instructors expect you to qualify with only 3 dives to your name which is crazy IMO..
You certainly get what you pay for.
If you want a less touristy bar than Oops,give Trendi`s a go..All day happy hour and P25.00 for an SMB..
We got lucky at Bohol beach club a few weeks back..No entrance,and P200.00 drink all you can!!
Needless to say..

Ohhhhhhh hehehheeh
Better avoid that place, coz for 200 i know i'll get pretty ****ed up pretty quick:D