PDA

View Full Version : Document checking for Visa

clearlight_mind
3rd November 2008, 13:10
My wife wants to settle with me in the UK but I have just lost my job. I have a letter from my ex-employer saying I have a job and I can send bank statement showing my salary up to the end of September. Based on the documents alone we should be succesful but what if they check UK governemnt databases and find that I am receiving public funds (unemployment benefit). Does anyone know? Do they only check the documents or do they dig deeper?

menchkin
3rd November 2008, 15:14
I think there will be a problem there because one of the things that you have to prove to the embassy is that you will be able to support your wife without recourse to public funds. if the embassy finds out that you are receiving public funds then it may affect the visa application result of your wife.

clearlight_mind
3rd November 2008, 15:56
I know. But how could they find out?

PeterB
3rd November 2008, 15:57
One thing which you can learn from other members of this forum is that it doesn't pay to withhold information in the application. It usually comes back to haunt you!

menchkin
3rd November 2008, 15:59

they will know because they will do investigation on your financial standing here in uk and if you're currently employed or not. since you're no longer employed, they will eventually check if you're gettinng public funds.

clearlight_mind
3rd November 2008, 16:27
I have a letter that says Im employed and my bank statements show I have received pay up to the first week in October. If they go by the docs I have sent all should be ok but do they actually check government databases or not? You say they check but do you know for sure and how do they check?

menchkin
3rd November 2008, 16:31
I have a letter that says Im employed and my bank statements show I have received pay up to the first week in October. If they go by the docs I have sent all should be ok but do they actually check government databases or not? You say they check but do you know for sure and how do they check?

they do check government database because the embassy does thorough investigation and you cannot hide anything from them. and the bottom line here is can you support your wife once she's there with the savings you have excluding the money you get from public funds? the embassy does not want you to recourse to public funds just to support your wife. if they find out that this is what you will do long term then they will not issue visa to your wife.

Ana_may365
3rd November 2008, 18:55
its absolutely correct!

Fountainhead
3rd November 2008, 19:01
If I was you I would wait until I found a new job and then apply for the visa. If you answer on the application form that you are working when you are not there is a very good chance they would find out and not only would they refuse this visa application but it could seriously adversely effect any future applications. Much better to have to wait a few months while you sort out your situation there than lie and risk destroying your chances of a future together.

Ady
3rd November 2008, 19:30
Fountainhead says it 100% correct.

OK, they may not find out, you get the visa granted, and congratulations from all. Your gamble to be together sooner rather than later paid off.

However, if they investigated, checked your NI contributions for the next 2 months and found you were not working. You will not only be refused, but they will review any subsequent application with suspicion.

I know you want to get this done sooner rather than later, but you are gambling by telling lies. Better to either apply stating the truth (that you are currently unemployed), or wait until you have a new job.

Just my opinion.

clearlight_mind
3rd November 2008, 20:03
Ok we have decided to wait and do things properly. Thanks for all the advice. I have never had to go long between work but I'm just a little nervous given the present economic climate but my motto has always been 'Honesty is the best Policy'. Cheers all.

Fountainhead
3rd November 2008, 21:19
Good luck clearlight.

empott
4th November 2008, 04:55
I got this from other visa site:

" "...For the purposes of these Rules, a person is not to be regard as having (or potentially having) recourse to public funds merely because he is (or will be) reliant in whole or in part on public funds provided to his sponsor, unless, as a result of his presence in the United Kingdom, the sponsor is (or would be) entitled to increased or additional public funds..."

This is taken to mean that the UK sponsor can be in receipt of public funds, but must show that the applicant will not cause the sponsor to receive additional public funds."

But ... maybe its better to wait till there's a new job. Better to be honest and don't withhold informations cause it might lead to worse situation.

vbkelly
4th November 2008, 09:35
its depend i think bcoz my friend husband is disabled he relying in his pension and gov.support and he live in the city council house but the HO granted her a visa

joebloggs
4th November 2008, 19:55
the embassy will want your latest pay slips and bank statements, sept is no good :NoNo:

i would wait til you get a job. not worth you risking your visa fee.

thou some people have been successful getting a spouse visa while on benefits, but again it's not worth the risk :NoNo:

Mrs.JMajor
6th November 2008, 10:24
Ok we have decided to wait and do things properly. Thanks for all the advice. I have never had to go long between work but I'm just a little nervous given the present economic climate but my motto has always been 'Honesty is the best Policy'. Cheers all.

You made the right decision :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Best of luck on the future :Hellooo:

benb
6th November 2008, 10:52

Easy! All they have to do is to check your name against the benefits database, if they want to. Just a phone call is all they need even if they don't have direct access to the database.

So, don't take the risk!

Cheers

haiku
13th November 2008, 10:45
Hi. I am also going through the preparation for my spouse visa. Then I've just noticed, my husband's birth place as stated in our marriage certificate (NSO copy) was different from the one stated in his birth certificate wihich was the same stated in his passport. Will this cause us any problem? Coz I'm thinking, it's my documents that will be checked more, not his, right? So the issue on his birth place won't pose us any problems?
In the Philippines, such inconsistencies are major paper work.. I hope not in this case. please advise...

aposhark
13th November 2008, 10:58
I agree with what people have said here.

Better to wait x amount of months to find employment, than get her banned from entering because you lied :NoNo:

I know it's easy for me to say, but any work to keep the continuity of work is better to allow your wife to join you.

I would go on the bins and do a dirty job if it meant my wife would come over here as soon as possible :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Best of luck :)

It is a lonely business, but the benefit of finally seeing her is worth waiting for. :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
14th November 2008, 15:24
C'mon guys, gies a break! The man's already lost his job ... possibly even stands to lose his wife too if the 'bods' turn down his application! It seems grossly unfair that, at the end of the day, their decisions "hinge" on applicants' financial resources (or lack of them, as in this particular case). They would refute this, of course, but their denial would be hypocritical, as to do so would be tantamount to their being less than truthful themselves. (Double standards and all that!!)

I have always tried to adhere to the principle that 'honesty is the best policy' but I mean, who in their right mind is going to set out to "cut his or her own throat" by divulging information that might not even be requested ... ? After all he's submitting payslips for the past 6 months [up to the end of September - recent enough surely!] Yes, I agree the authorities are quite likely to carry out a spot check on his work record; so my advice to him would be to seek an interview with the British Consulate in the first instance and explain his position. I believe they would be genuinely sympathetic towards his predicament - especially in circumstances where his marriage may be at stake.