PDA

View Full Version : new passport?

whiteraven
16th November 2008, 13:20
hi good folks.
im flying out to davao this week to marry my filipina lady and hoping to apply for a spousal visa in the future. she currently has a passport that is only a few months old and i was wondering if were better to apply for a new one once we were married.

aromulus
16th November 2008, 13:44
hi good folks.
im flying out to davao this week to marry my filipina lady and hoping to apply for a spousal visa in the future. she currently has a passport that is only a few months old and i was wondering if were better to apply for a new one once we were married.

All it is needed, is to change to married name, very quick and easy to do.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

whiteraven
16th November 2008, 13:57
thanks for the advice:xxgrinning--00xx3:

DianaKevy
16th November 2008, 14:12
hi good folks.

yes she has to renew her passport and at the same ammend it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

whiteraven
16th November 2008, 15:17
thanks all, im glad i joined all of you good people on here as i have been able to find out far more and easier on here than any official website

menchkin
16th November 2008, 21:32
yes she has to renew her passport and at the same ammend it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

processing time for passport ammendment is 10 working days. you have to submit the NSO marriage certificate together with the old passport of your wife-to-be to DFA.

DianaKevy
16th November 2008, 22:22
processing time for passport ammendment is 10 working days. you have to submit the NSO marriage certificate together with the old passport of your wife-to-be to DFA.

that's how it goes. if you are renewing the passport it will will take a month so might as well do the ammendments too.

whiteraven
16th November 2008, 23:01
all good advice and noted for the future, thx again.

vbkelly
16th November 2008, 23:07
my philippine passport is still my maiden name untill now i've never changed it

empott
16th November 2008, 23:25
One of the requirements for passport renewal or amendment is CFO certificate. One must attend the guidance and counseling program if you are a spouse of a foreign national.

themuffins
17th November 2008, 03:42
Hi. Based on my experience, I didn't have to have the CFO certificate when I applied for a new passport and amended my last name. You just need the NSO copy of your marriage certificate and the old passport.

whiteraven
17th November 2008, 10:23
same as everything else,there doesnt seem to be any consistency in the beuracratic system in phil :Brick:

reginacarlson
17th November 2008, 12:10
It depends on the person who receives the application, I didn't have my CFO certificate with me when I renewed my passport to adopt my husband's surname. The DFA staff was asking for it but I argued with her and told her it wasn't written on any of the list of requirements for renewal, so she had no choice but to accept it, but arguing might not work for everyone so better bring the CFO certificate just to be on the safe side.

whiteraven
17th November 2008, 12:36
i think i will wait till we have the certificate,good for you for putting up a fight!!!

menchkin
17th November 2008, 15:23
Hi. Based on my experience, I didn't have to have the CFO certificate when I applied for a new passport and amended my last name. You just need the NSO copy of your marriage certificate and the old passport.

Yes, same with my experience. I just submitted the NSO MC during my passport ammendment application. No need for the CFO certificate.

PeterB
17th November 2008, 15:47
if you are renewing the passport it will will take a month

We renewed Ruby's passport in 3 days when VFS pointed out that it had been mutilated - that did involve fairly substantial 'rush' fees, though!

DianaKevy
17th November 2008, 16:10
We renewed Ruby's passport in 3 days when VFS pointed out that it had been mutilated - that did involve fairly substantial 'rush' fees, though!

when was that? coz i had my passport renewed just this year, february to be exact and its the new passport with the different color already and its better compared to the old ones. ive waited for a month probably at that time the system just changed and the passport as well so everything were slow.

empott
18th November 2008, 02:13
When I was trying to renew my passport, they asked my CFO certificate upon seeing my surname. They said i need it bcoz I am married to a foreign national. I argued with them, i even talked to the higher ranking officer there. I told them that i've been married for almost 2 years (at that time) and I even showed them their guidelines i printed from a DFA website, stating that u don't need CFO if u've been married at least six months prior to the application. But they told me to disregard it.

So i attended the CFO counseling last June and when i went back to DFA, they were so nice. They didn't even make me wait or schedule me for the application. After 15 days, I finally had my passport last Sept. Good thing I got delayed renewing it for a year bcoz at least now, I have the machine-readable passport. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

PeterB
18th November 2008, 06:08
when was that? coz i had my passport renewed just this year, february to be exact and its the new passport with the different color already and its better compared to the old ones. ive waited for a month probably at that time the system just changed and the passport as well so everything were slow.

That was July 2007 - before the new biometric passport.

The plan had been to fly to Manila on Monday, go to VFS to submit the visa application on Tuesday, do a little sightseeing, then fly back to Mindanao on Wednesday. As it was, we had to rearrange our flights and spend Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday and Thursday chasing the replacement passport. Part of the problem was that the original passport was issued in Davao and, because it had been tampered with, we had to get documents faxed up from DFA in Davao. Things would have been just a little easier if we had been able to visit the DFA office which issued the original.

Anyway, we then returned to VFS on Friday, and caught a flight back on Friday afternoon. However, we did get some time for sightseeing.

Of course it was all worthwhile because Ruby's passport, with visa attached, turned up in Tagum just 7 days later (after I had already returned to UK).

whiteraven
18th November 2008, 09:52
why does dfa make things so difficult for some. anyway thanks for the info im off to the airport will be in manila tomorrow with my sweety then davao the next day.

aromulus
18th November 2008, 10:01
why does dfa make things so difficult for some. anyway thanks for the info im off to the airport will be in manila tomorrow with my sweety then davao the next day.

Not just "for some".....:omg:

But for any Tom, Dick or Harriet....:D

DianaKevy
18th November 2008, 13:38
That was July 2007 - before the new biometric passport.

The plan had been to fly to Manila on Monday, go to VFS to submit the visa application on Tuesday, do a little sightseeing, then fly back to Mindanao on Wednesday. As it was, we had to rearrange our flights and spend Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday and Thursday chasing the replacement passport. Part of the problem was that the original passport was issued in Davao and, because it had been tampered with, we had to get documents faxed up from DFA in Davao. Things would have been just a little easier if we had been able to visit the DFA office which issued the original.

Anyway, we then returned to VFS on Friday, and caught a flight back on Friday afternoon. However, we did get some time for sightseeing.

Of course it was all worthwhile because Ruby's passport, with visa attached, turned up in Tagum just 7 days later (after I had already returned to UK).

Well atleast while waiting for it, you were able to go sightseeing. there's no time wasted ;)

Renewing the old passports then was just very quick but now with the biometric passport it takes a long time even if its a rush it take a month to get it. That's was then when i had it done. I don't know lately if they are getting faster....

menchkin
18th November 2008, 16:04
Well atleast while waiting for it, you were able to go sightseeing. there's no time wasted ;)

Renewing the old passports then was just very quick but now with the biometric passport it takes a long time even if its a rush it take a month to get it. That's was then when i had it done. I don't know lately if they are getting faster....

Expedite of passport ammendment takes 10 working days. I had my passport ammended June this year thru an agent (to free myself from falling in line). The only time i went to DFA was for personal appearance and it only took 10 minutes.

DianaKevy
18th November 2008, 16:40
Expedite of passport ammendment takes 10 working days. I had my passport ammended June this year thru an agent (to free myself from falling in line). The only time i went to DFA was for personal appearance and it only took 10 minutes.

I did expedite at that time, its just that that time it was newly implemented so everything were slow. Maybe your time they were already get used with the new system. Coz i remember in my time many people were complaining because its so slow,in fact they were bombarded by the press about it coz of the complains. lucky you got it for 10 days as for me it was a month..i did use an agent as well.