PDA

View Full Version : local district registry

PAT
3rd December 2008, 06:53
My fiance soon to get provisional booking for our wedding at the local registry office in Stornoway, Scotland,I read an informative post by ginapeterb about a new rules starting Feb.1,2005 saying that " intention to marry cannot now be made in local district registry, does this mean that not all local registry office in UK are recognize by the Home office- immigration?

For those who are applying fiance visa, will you please tell us (me and my fiance ) on how did you get your provisional booking for the wedding? how many days will it take before you can able to get it? Pls enlighten us about this matter, any response is greatly appreciated.

LEAHnew
3rd December 2008, 07:34
Hi Pat, I am applying fiancee visa as well but plan to submit on 1st week of January coz i intended to leave on April :doh just to finished my daughter's grad. and bday as well:) Thanks to Haiku for her informative post about scheduling appointment:xxgrinning--00xx3:
In regards to provisional booking there's a good thread posted by Ady here:
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=12001&highlight=provisional

When my fiance booked our wedding at Wallsal the Officer who approved the booking can't decide yet to give us a Provisional Letter she need to coordinate to her Boss, so we're waiting for the feedback still :doh.
Goodluck to us:xxgrinning--00xx3:

PAT
3rd December 2008, 07:46
Thanks kukurokuk, i will check the link now, we are doing our best to complete our documents this month or early January.Good luck to both of us and to other applicants.Thank you once again.Good day

Fountainhead
3rd December 2008, 08:28
I had no problem making a provisional booking at my local registry office and they sent written confirmation within 7 days. Making a provisional booking for the wedding ceremony and giving notice of intent to marry are two different things. Giving notice of intent is a legal preliminary you need to do before you get married but is something you have to do together after you arrive in this country. The ECO at the embassy who will deal with your application will be aware of this and will know there is no way you could have done that yet so they will just look for other evidence that there are genuine plans to marry, wedding booking, caterers, reception, flowers etc.

Mrs.JMajor
3rd December 2008, 09:03
Hi Pat, He booked our wedding on his local registry office with no problem at all in Norfolk, He just get the "magic paper"(provisional booking) on the same day,

PAT
3rd December 2008, 10:19
Thanks Fountainhead and you Mrs.JMajor, I will tell my fiance about all these things so we can discuss about it. Glad to be always guided by your advices and experiences....ingatz you both.

Ady
4th December 2008, 10:50
Hi Pat,

In our case, I was not able to get a provisional booking.

I was told by 2 superintendents in my region that a booking was not possible until my fiancee has been in the UK for 8 days. The ECO will be aware of this... their guidance notes state

"The Entry Clearance Office (ECO) needs to be satisfied that it is intended that a marriage in the UK will take place. Any evidence that may be available that wedding arrangements are in hand may help in this respect. Failing that, the ECO can reasonably expect you to have made some tentative plans for the wedding. The ECO will, however, be aware from our published procedures that "the law relating to marriage in England and Wales does not allow for any arrangements to be made with a Registrar until the foreign national has arrived in the UK"

In our case, I have made a provisional booking for a wedding reception, with a given date. I also stated in the cover note that I had spoken to superintendents who advised me that provisional bookings are not possible. Given the above, I am now of the opinion that ECO's could look sceptically upon any such documentation anyhow (after all, the laws of the land state this is not possible). I am not dismissing what others have done, because it still serves the purpose that wedding arrangements are in hand. Trying to get this document delayed us somewhat, and in the end we had to go without it. I just hope that the wedding reception booking will suffice.

Good luck with the application.

PAT
4th December 2008, 11:49
Hi Pat,

I was told by 2 superintendents in my region that a booking was not possible until my fiancee has been in the UK for 8 days. The ECO will be aware of this... their guidance notes state

"The Entry Clearance Office (ECO) needs to be satisfied that it is intended that a marriage in the UK will take place. Any evidence that may be available that wedding arrangements are in hand may help in this respect. Failing that, the ECO can reasonably expect you to have made some tentative plans for the wedding. The ECO will, however, be aware from our published procedures that "the law relating to marriage in England and Wales does not allow for any arrangements to be made with a Registrar until the foreign national has arrived in the UK"

In our case, I have made a provisional booking for a wedding reception, with a given date. I also stated in the cover note that I had spoken to superintendents who advised me that provisional bookings are not possible. Given the above, I am now of the opinion that ECO's could look sceptically upon any such documentation anyhow (after all, the laws of the land state this is not possible). I am not dismissing what others have done, because it still serves the purpose that wedding arrangements are in hand. Trying to get this document delayed us somewhat, and in the end we had to go without it. I just hope that the wedding reception booking will suffice.

Thank you so much for sharing that matter Ady, like you we will probably do what you did. " Booked what we can book" for additional proof that we're really intend to marry with in 6 months and are committed to live together as husband and wife. I always appreciated your responses in my query and so with other members here.:):):)

IainBusby
4th December 2008, 12:42
Hi Pat,

It seems there is no consistency from one county to another when dealing with requests for provisional bookings. I think that if they refuse to make a provisional booking you should request that they put that in writing so that you could use that as evidence along with provisional booking for the reception.
Iain.

Ady
4th December 2008, 12:53
Iain,

I agree with that, and requested that it was shown in writing. What I was told was that they (the Border Agency) know the rules - and both superintendents refused to give me anything. In fact, the one refused to talk to me at all, leaving her receptionist to deal with it by running to and fro.

I have no doubt there are friendlier, more accommodating people out there that have helped others in this situation. Going on the ECO guidance notes, it would be unreasonable to be rejected on this ground in my opinion. I have stated it in our covering letter that we contacted registry offices, and I made a point of outlining the reason why this was not achieved.

PAT
4th December 2008, 12:57
It seems there is no consistency from one county to another when dealing with requests for provisional bookings. I think that if they refuse to make a provisional booking you should request that they put that in writing so that you could use that as evidence along with provisional booking for the reception.
Iain.

I think thats good idea Ianbusby:xxgrinning--00xx3: thank you so much for that :) i will send your reply to my fiance. :):):)