PDA

View Full Version : Probationary citizenship for 5 years

flomike
8th December 2008, 14:48
I just read this news on BIA website. Is it going to be passed this Jan 2009? I am going to submit my application for citizenship this coming Jan 2009I am just wondering if this new bill or law will affect me at all?

For what I understand is people need to wait up to 10 years to get a British passport or are they going to scrap ILR and called it probationary citizenship? And to be British you need to do voluntary service. Im not sure if this 5 or 10 years rule applied to spouse of Brits?

Any idea?

jimeve
8th December 2008, 15:18
I just read this news on BIA website. Is it going to be passed this Jan 2009? I am going to submit my application for citizenship this coming Jan 2009I am just wondering if this new bill or law will affect me at all?

Any idea?

Don't know mate, but Jan 20091 a looong time off.:Erm:

darren-b
8th December 2008, 18:59

For what I understand is people need to wait up to 10 years to get a British passport or are they going to scrap ILR and called it probationary citizenship? And to be British you need to do voluntary service. Im not sure if this 5 or 10 years rule applied to spouse of Brits?

Any idea?

The Bill is going to be presented to Parliament in January, but it's going to be a while (at least a few months, maybe longer) before the new rules are approved, so it won't affect you. The proposed rules aren't as bad as you suggest, but even so it's much better to apply as soon as possible. The only problem is there seems to be lots of people applying so don't expect to get your application processed that quickly.

Ann07
8th December 2008, 19:25
The Bill is going to be presented to Parliament in January, but it's going to be a while (at least a few months, maybe longer) before the new rules are approved, so it won't affect you. The proposed rules aren't as bad as you suggest, but even so it's much better to apply as soon as possible. The only problem is there seems to be lots of people applying so don't expect to get your application processed that quickly.

Ive read that in the paper. I think they will implement it for the newcomers as i understood it. Correct me if im wrong:)

joebloggs
8th December 2008, 19:56
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092784/Immigrants-wait-10-years-claim-council-housing-massive-benefits-clampdown.html

jim2376
8th December 2008, 21:42
Hi, I found this from the Guardian Newspaper Online in February -

"Changes will apply to new arrivals after the new laws are passed, and not to foreigners already living in the UK, so reforms are only likely to affect migrants arriving in 2010."

We are applying for ILR in January, I'd been wondering about this new legislation too as we will apply for Citizenship in August 09.

Jim

darren-b
8th December 2008, 21:59
Hi, I found this from the Guardian Newspaper Online in February -

"Changes will apply to new arrivals after the new laws are passed, and not to foreigners already living in the UK, so reforms are only likely to affect migrants arriving in 2010."

We are applying for ILR in January, I'd been wondering about this new legislation too as we will apply for Citizenship in August 09.

Jim

There's not been any official indications yet of how it will affect non-British citizens already living in the UK. Though my personal opinion would be that anyone who hasn't got ILR when the Bill is implemented will be affected and be forced to take the new path (ILR will no longer exist in it's current form).

cheesewiz
8th December 2008, 22:15
I just read that news as well, but I don't mind doing voluntary job to earn a citizenship. Though, what I understand it, i think it will applies to all the immigrants already in UK and coming to UK who wants to settle here. All immigration changes usually applies to everybody IMO.

joebloggs
9th December 2008, 11:57
changes will not effect europeans in the UK and i'm pretty sure it will not effect their spouses or families :doh

:icon_lol:

:action-smiley-081: to the EU :ARsurrender:

Ann07
11th December 2008, 14:08
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: