PDA

View Full Version : Fiancee visa - the purpose?

paulgee
11th December 2008, 21:16
I wonder if someone could explain the Fiancee visa (please). Is the purpose of this visa solely to allow a foreign national into Britain to get married to a British national?

I am planning to marry my fiancee in the Philippines, but would like her first to meet my elderly parents and family in the UK, as they would not be able to travel to the wedding.

We have, thanks to this Forum, all the necessary documentation for a hopefully, successful fiancee visa application. My question is: if we are not planning to get married in the UK during the 6 month period of the fiancee visa is the application likely to succeed? We want to get married soon after returning to the Philippines, but I am a little confused as to whether an application on this basis is acceptable.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Paul

ginapeterb
11th December 2008, 21:43
Paul,

I am sure what is obvious to most here on the forum, may not be so obvious to you, a fiancee visa is in fact the wrong term, commonly called a fiancee visa, its actually a marriage visa and nothing else but a marriage visa.

Marriage visa's are issued to fiancee's/fiance's of British nationals, who are presently settled and living in the UK.

You cannot bring your fiancee to UK on a marriage visa, unless you intend to marry within 6 months of arrival in the UK.

Should you wish to marry in the Philippines, and then bring your wife back to the UK, you would require a settlement visa for your wife.

Should you wish your fiancee to come to the UK and meet your ageing parents, your fiancee would need to apply for a tourist visa, however, this route, whilst not always a risk, is a 90 per cent risky operation, and could result in a refusal to issue a visa, however, truth is the best policy, if you can ensure that you make it very clear on the tourist visa application, that the applicant does know you in the UK, and they are in a relationship with you, at least you have furnished the Embassy with the full facts.

Failure to disclose all pertinent facts, and to not give truthful answers to all questions, could lead to a refusal to issue, and a 10 year ban on your fiancee applying to enter the United Kingdom.

Certainly if you wish to marry in the Philippines, your fiancee may not apply for a fiancee visa, if she did so, the application would be unsuccessful, I hope that makes the position clear, please beware of professional visa applicants, they often give poor advice, and the outcome is a heartache, when the answers they give are the ones you want to hear.

This forum has a tradition of very good advice, and its generally 100 per cent on the ball, best wishes, and I hope you get the visa you need.

simplelife
11th December 2008, 22:12
Hi Paul,
I agreed to what Moderator Pete said. If you intended to get married in the Philippines its best to apply for a tourist visa. Some members here been to the UK on a tourist visa to meet their boyfriend`s or Finace`s family and had their visa application successful. Yes, the risk of refusal is bigger than applying for a Fiancee visa, but you will just taking a bigger risk if your Fiancee will come to UK on a Fiancee visa and you will not get married in the UK. You must have a valid reason why then you did not marry within the 6 months validity of Fiancee visa.

LEAHnew
12th December 2008, 05:49
I wonder if someone could explain the Fiancee visa (please). Is the purpose of this visa solely to allow a foreign national into Britain to get married to a British national?

I am planning to marry my fiancee in the Philippines, but would like her first to meet my elderly parents and family in the UK, as they would not be able to travel to the wedding.

Hi Paul I understand your sentiments:cwm34:
but imo why not marry first in UK then after a year here in Philippines:Erm: it may sounds a bit expensive :doh but i guess everyone will be happy both sides:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Goodluck!

Leah & Chris:)

keithAngel
12th December 2008, 10:16
On the plusside its much cheaper to apply for a Visitors Visa

paulgee
12th December 2008, 10:43
Thanks for those replies folks, which clarify the position for us. Obviously I should have done some more heavy reading of the Forum, but at least we now know the exact situation.

Cheers Paul

joebloggs
12th December 2008, 12:07
On the plusside its much cheaper to apply for a Visitors Visa

on the negative side, it will probably be refused :doh

simplelife
12th December 2008, 12:12
Thanks for those replies folks, which clarify the position for us. Obviously I should have done some more heavy reading of the Forum, but at least we now know the exact situation.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul and Shirley,

In addition to my reply I just wanted to share my experienced when I first apply for tourist visa.

After the second visit of my Fiance here in the Philippines, he invited me to go to England to see his country and meet his parents and also to see if we will get on well.
We at first, worried that I might have unsuccessful application, but we thought that we have met all the requirements and have enough evidence that our intension is genuine.
So I lodge my application then after 4 weeks, the Embassy called me for a personal interview.
On my interview, the ECO asked me, what was exactly my relationship with my sponsor, so I told him that my sponsor is my boyfriend and that
we`ve been on for nearly two years. (that time).
I also told the ECO that I love my boyfriend so much and we just wanted to have more time together and get to know each other then after that then we will decide if we will get married to be together permanently.

Then the ECO asked me, " How would you convince me that you will be back here at the end of your visa and that you will not going to seek employment.?"

I answered,
" I have been to several countries here in Asia, I have a good Immigration records that I did not violate any rules here in my country as well as to other countries, I understood that I am not allowed to seek employment while I`m in the UK, my sponsor is capable to support me and that is proven on his financial statements. I and my boyfriend are so much in-loved to each other and therefore I will not do anything that will jeopardise my future application if after my visit we decided to live together permanently."
Then the ECO told me to wait to be call again, then about 3pm they returned my passport with my first UK tourist visa on it.

I know some people here who have unsuccessful tourist visa application, but I believe it is case to case basis.
Best wishes to both of you.

PeterB
12th December 2008, 12:57
If your fiancee meets some (or all) of the criteria used when assessing visit visa applicatioins, then you should be okay. Ruby received her VV just one week after submitting the application (probably because she had a flawless travel history - including Australia).

After her stay in UK we than came back here to marry and settle.

aug06_2006
12th December 2008, 16:10
Hi Paul I understand your sentiments:cwm34:
but imo why not marry first in UK then after a year here in Philippines:Erm: it may sounds a bit expensive :doh but i guess everyone will be happy both sides:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Goodluck!

Leah & Chris:)

You r right Leah..thats what we did hehe!...but we were so lucky bcoz my aunt in USA they celebrated also their 25th renewal vow at the same church,day n time of our church wedding so we didn't spent lot of money...

LEAHnew
13th December 2008, 05:28
You r right Leah..thats what we did hehe!...but we were so lucky bcoz my aunt in USA they celebrated also their 25th renewal vow at the same church,day n time of our church wedding so we didn't spent lot of money...

:Hellooo::Hellooo:

Great :xxgrinning--00xx3: