PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide ATM Problem

aposhark
15th December 2008, 08:55
Hello,

I paid £100 into my Nationwide account in the UK on the 6th Dec and phoned my wife up immediately to let her know.
She went to the Metro Bank in Bogo, Cebu on the 08th Dec and could not get the funds.
She asked the security guard in the bank what the problem was.

I checked with Nationwide and £98+ was taken out on the 08th, when my wife said she could not get the money :cwm23:

My dear wife is the only one who has the card and the pin number.

Any idea which way to go now.

Thanks

mavid
15th December 2008, 09:05
Sometimes it does happen, If she kept the ATM receipt... she can probably go back to that MetroBank Branch, show them a proof ( maybe ur online bank statement showing that a withdrawal was made that day).

KeithD
15th December 2008, 10:18
Why would she have a receipt? :Erm:

Plenty of ways of withdrawing without a card, you only need the account number off it.....for more details ask Joe....being a Manc he knows all the fiddles :D

Mrs.JMajor
15th December 2008, 11:21
Oh no,:doh Ok all she have to do is ..........if she had the receipt and no money come out,immediately go inside the bank,and report it to the staff or if there is no receipt come out,she can verify to the bank personnel when?where? did the last withdrawal has done,the bank personnel can monitor the transaction ...:NoNo:

What did the guard said then.........
Dec 08 was monday,so she can speak to any bank personnel ,not the security guard i suppose

PeterB
15th December 2008, 11:52
It's not unusual for people here (many of whom are unfamiliar with atms) to rely on the next person in the queue to assist them with their transaction! Sometimes the 'assistant' tells them that the machine is unable to dispense cash. However, they later find that funds have 'mysteriously' vanished from the account!

jta
15th December 2008, 12:10
i experienced it b4, your wife must talk to officer of that metrobank and show the receipt that she was not able to get the money..while using the machine, did she wait a little while to sure that no money dispensed? i have another experienced with ATM machine..my cousin wants to withdraw and asked me to teach her how to use ATM card. when we entered her pin for 2 times it was invalid so i told her that we need to read the instructions attached given from a certain company ( it was ATM given by a company where they can get their commission) so we give chance to other users and we sitdown and read, more or less 5 minutes pass we go back to same machine and when i about to insert the card i heard the sound of money dispensing so i wait and shock to see that there is really money so i get it, me and my cousin turning round if somebody using the machine b4 us but seems no 1, even guard, so i inserted her card back but still invalid pin.. so we presumed that there was a user b4 us who didnt wait until sure that no money dispense. sometimes machine will hang up and don't give receipts as well...

Mrs Daddy
15th December 2008, 12:15
wat did u do with the money:D

aposhark
15th December 2008, 12:27
My wife did not get a receipt.

aposhark
15th December 2008, 12:28

I wish it was as simple as that :yikes:

Mrs Daddy
15th December 2008, 12:34
no aposhark that question is meant for jta

Mrs Daddy
15th December 2008, 12:36
I wish it was as simple as that :yikes:

we go back to same machine and when i about to insert the card i heard the sound of money dispensing so i wait and shock to see that there is really money so i get it, me and my cousin turning round if somebody using the machine b4 us but seems no 1, even guard, so i inserted her card back but still invalid pin.. so we presumed that there was a user b4 us who didnt wait until sure that no money dispense. sometimes machine will hang up and don't give receipts as well...

question meant for jta aposhark

jta
15th December 2008, 12:38

:D it happen outside the mall, so we get inside the mall and go shopping, it was a blessing money hehehe...:Erm:

Mrs.JMajor
15th December 2008, 13:46

Ask the transaction history to where she opened an account,where ? and when? the withdrawal happens,i wish shes just nearby here so i can help her w/ no monkey business goin on,i remembered the story from western union b4,about her and his uncle :doh but the thing there is no one holding the atm and the pin except her :Erm:

simplelife
15th December 2008, 13:51
Ask the transaction history to where she opened an account,where ? and when? the withdrawal happens,i wish shes just nearby here so i can help her w/ no monkey business goin on,i remembered the story from western union b4,about her and his uncle :doh but the thing there is no one holding the atm and the pin except her :Erm:

I remember that story, too.

joebloggs
15th December 2008, 14:32
can she print a mini statment from the atm ,as you can in the uk ?

did she try and take all the money out in one go? maybe refused because she tried to withdraw more than was in the account ?.. but where is the money then :Erm:

gemini63
15th December 2008, 20:41

from what card she withdrawn the money? is it an atm card from metro bank or she is using your debit card from nationwide?If it is an atm card from metro bank, she should approach the officer or any employees and report what have happened..just for a record, so if in case of tracing the transaction record will show if that machines dispatched cash on that transaction.Bank will know from transactions made on that machine.Usually bank will just take info about it and let you come back or call them for result.Sometimes they will give toll free numbers to call..like the atm center and somebody will take info too..then they will give with in 10 days for the result.If it turns that no money dispatch on that machine,they will credit back to the owners account the amount withdrawn.It happened to me before
i got it after 10 days credited back to my account.

gemini63
15th December 2008, 20:49
It is important that your wife will remember what date and time it happened.What and where is the machine located. If it your debit card she used..try to get copy from nationwide that funds have been debited or withdrawn that day. and fax or send copy to your wife so she will show to metrobank where she complained.so that metrobank will now trace what happen to that transaction in that machine.

gemini63
15th December 2008, 20:55

did she try and take all the money out in one go? maybe refused because she tried to withdraw more than was in the account ?.. but where is the money then :Erm:

If it is her account in phil. she can ask a printed record from the branch she have the account with.Even if it is any form of account with atm card.She can ask transaction record anytime.

gemini63
15th December 2008, 21:00

She can withdraw the money in one go,coz metrobank machines maximum per withdrawal is 10 thousand pesos,Unlike other machines only 4 thousand pesos maximum per withdrawal..

joebloggs
16th December 2008, 00:28
She can withdraw the money in one go,coz metrobank machines maximum per withdrawal is 10 thousand pesos,Unlike other machines only 4 thousand pesos maximum per withdrawal..

:Erm:, i cannot remember if it was from the metrobank, but it was only from certain atms in the malls in makati, that i could take 10k out of, but outside the malls it was only 4k.

aposhark
16th December 2008, 09:20
is it an atm card from metro bank or she is using your debit card from nationwide?

Thanks for your reply.
Yes it was my Nationwide ATM card that she uses over there. :cwm3:

aposhark
16th December 2008, 09:24

Hi Joe,
I will ask her if she can print a mini statement.
The ATM machine told her it was "unavailable". :cwm3:

aromulus
16th December 2008, 09:29
Thanks for your reply.
Yes it was my Nationwide ATM card that she uses over there. :cwm3:

As somebody else mentioned on one of the above posts.....

She picked up the card from the ATM and waited for the cash, maybe after a few monutes the money wasn't forthcoming, she panicked and moved.....:NoNo:

A few minutes later some lucky bugger must have seen the dosh spewing out, picked it up and scarpered with it....:doh

I had an experience in Cebu Waterfront Hotel, ATM located by the Duty Free outlet. It took nearly 5 minutes for the money to be dispensed. :doh
Luckily I didn't move, but sent Jet to look for assistance.
I was too busy kicking the dastardly thing.:Brick:

gemini63
16th December 2008, 09:51
Hi Joe,
I will ask her if she can print a mini statement.
The ATM machine told her it was "unavailable". :cwm3:

I think she cannot ask anything,like a mini statement you have said coz its not her atm card or not a bank in phil.that she is using..Unless at the time she did the transaction it gives receipt.I think you should be the one to get record from nationwide to show to phil bank whom the machine belongs to that theres a withdrawal tjhat have been pushed through on that time and date and its there machine used during that time, so can trace the history of that machine on that time and date..Usually your nationwide record will show there what bank and area she did it..So its a proof and bank in the phil will entertain her...

KeithD
16th December 2008, 10:36
If it only your name on the card, and a 3rd party is using it, then you'll find in the T&C you cannot make a claim against the bank, unless you can prove it was you in the Phil at that time.

fred
16th December 2008, 11:54
Happened to us when using a PNB machine a few weeks ago..(10,000 with no reciept)The screen froze and took about 3 mins for the card to come out.
We went in and withdrew the cash from the counter and the balance showed that we were 10k down.
Long story short,we filled in a complaint form bla bla..
Had a drink in my local and a Brit tells me it happens all the time and assured me the money will show up in a week or 2 on my balance..
Sure enough,it did.

keithAngel
16th December 2008, 17:17
Hello,

I paid £100 into my Nationwide account in the UK on the 6th Dec and phoned my wife up immediately to let her know.
She went to the Metro Bank in Bogo, Cebu on the 08th Dec and could not get the funds.

I checked with Nationwide and £98+ was taken out on the 08th, when my wife said she could not get the money :cwm23:

My dear wife is the only one who has the card and the pin number.

Any idea which way to go now.

Thanks

Hi Apo having read all need an amplified version of" and could not get the funds." What exactly happened from her point of veiw:Erm:

baboyako
16th December 2008, 21:22
you need to wait a bit longer... say 7 days

if its not refunded to the account, phone up the indian callcentre :rolleyes: and spend 30minutes waiting for them to track it down.

they should be able to then adjust your account.

there is no point phoning them now cuz they have to wait for the transaction to rollback in the ATM which takes a few days :CompBuster:

cheesewiz
16th December 2008, 23:07
I had a one or two experienced like that and you have to depend your self as much as you can to the bank personnel that you didn't get any money at all but most of the time they are not very helpful:NoNo::cwm23: but for some good reason after a few weeks good news happened as the money back to my account after the investigations etc

another thing is ATM machine in the Phils has the reputation of eating your card and that's it no card for a while bec it takes time b4 you can get it back unfortunately, that's why the last time i went home i didn't use my debit card at all as some of the ATM machine in the phils usually never return you card at one point then ask the bank personnel about it and to give you a comfort that no need to worry about it but you have to wait a week or two to get it back:cwm23:

somebody
16th December 2008, 23:45
Also the time you make the withdrawl affects it i have found.

in the Uk the same ATM's and card readers in shops in the Uk take varying times.

Remeber its dialing the UK ( the shops are a tad busy this time of the year) Dont forget now with online shopping/banking and the use for debit cards for various things these lines are busier all round the clock more and more.

So of course it will take time and a lot longer than it does for a local bank card.

Stood there for three mintues once sweating just a tad.

The guard and others around may not realise and think something is up as they dont realise this phill is using a non phill card.

johncar54
30th December 2008, 11:11
I suggest if you have an account with Nationwide, you contact them, as its your money which was fraudulently withdrawn. Demand a refund. The CEO'e email is Graham.Beale@nationwide.co.uk, I always start at the top !

Good luck. John

somebody
30th December 2008, 21:06
I suggest if you have an account with Nationwide, you contact them, as its your money which was fraudulently withdrawn. Demand a refund. The CEO'e email is Graham.Beale@nationwide.co.uk, I always start at the top !

Good luck. John

But double check nationwides t and c before putting your head in the lions mouth.

Ie the fact the user is a non uk resident and if the card is in their name.

The nationwide card is a good deal but like Mr admin says need to be wary of situations like this.

aposhark
31st December 2008, 22:44
Hi Apo having read all need an amplified version of" and could not get the funds." What exactly happened from her point of veiw:Erm:

Sorry for this late reply Keith, I have been having modem problems....

I have sent an email to the Metrobank and am waiting for a reply.

My wife went to the ATM machine to withdraw money.
She did not receive any money from the machine and she saw the message that it was unavailable.
She did not get a receipt or any money.
She was understandably very concerned and reported what happened to the security guard.

I have asked the bank to tell me what happened to the money?

I will be back in the Philippines in a few weeks and will investigate, but I think Aromulus's idea about her not waiting long enough to be most likely, and I may have to chalk it down to her inexperience :rolleyes:

aposhark
31st December 2008, 22:49

Good luck. John

Hi johncar54 :)

I am going down the route of contacting the branch in the Phils first.
I think the Nationwide will fob me off if they know my wife is using my card :rolleyes:
Maybe some good news will come from there.

aposhark
31st December 2008, 22:51
But double check nationwides t and c before putting your head in the lions mouth.

Ie the fact the user is a non uk resident and if the card is in their name.

The nationwide card is a good deal but like Mr admin says need to be wary of situations like this.

Hi somebody :)

I agree with you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
31st December 2008, 22:54
It is important that your wife will remember what date and time it happened.What and where is the machine located. If it your debit card she used..try to get copy from nationwide that funds have been debited or withdrawn that day. and fax or send copy to your wife so she will show to metrobank where she complained.so that metrobank will now trace what happen to that transaction in that machine.

Hi gemini63,

Thanks for your comments.
I will see what the branch in the Phils comes up with.
I am not optimistic about the outcome though :rolleyes:

aposhark
31st December 2008, 22:58
Hi aromulus

She picked up the card from the ATM and waited for the cash, maybe after a few monutes the money wasn't forthcoming, she panicked and moved.....:NoNo:

A few minutes later some lucky bugger must have seen the dosh spewing out, picked it up and scarpered with it....:doh

Think you may be right :rolleyes:

johncar54
1st January 2009, 08:50
Sorry to be boring by repeating myself.

Last year I was in Penang. I failed to get the cash from an ATM which did not 'pay out.'

I contacted Nationwide and they immediately refunded the amount. As I was 'abroad' at the time they did even require the formal complaints form but accepted a faxed letter setting out details.

I don't see why you should make any claim on the bank where the ATM was. You are a customer of Nationwide, the money was 'lost' from that account not from an account with the ATM bank. As a Nationwide customer they have a duty to protect you.

Good luck.

johncar54
1st January 2009, 09:33
Ie the fact the user is a non UK resident and if the card is in their name.

I am not UK resident, for the past 20years. My registered address with the bank is in Spain. The resident in UK thing only applies to opening a new account, although, by writing to the CEO, I got a new credit card account last last as 'a special favour to a special customer' so it can be done.

I suggest you never lie to your bank, hide facts etc. If they find out you have, then you have destroyed your reputation.

aposhark
1st January 2009, 10:07
Sorry to be boring by repeating myself.

Last year I was in Penang. I failed to get the cash from an ATM which did not 'pay out.'

I contacted Nationwide and they immediately refunded the amount. As I was 'abroad' at the time they did even require the formal complaints form but accepted a faxed letter setting out details.

I don't see why you should make any claim on the bank where the ATM was. You are a customer of Nationwide, the money was 'lost' from that account not from an account with the ATM bank. As a Nationwide customer they have a duty to protect you.

Good luck.

Hi John,
I understand what you have typed, thanks, BUT the main difference is that my wife was using MY card.
I will contact the Nationwide if I don't get any success with the Phils bank.

Thanks again, you are never boring.
If any of us has problems, it is reassuring that other folk take the time to try to offer advice :)
That is why a forum like this is so valuable to all of us.
The phrase "I am not an island" is apt.

johncar54
1st January 2009, 10:14
Aposhark. Thanks for your comments.

One of my cards is with my wife's cousin in Phil. If he had a similar problem I would still contact Nationwide.

In passing I have told Nationwide that one of my cards is being so used and they did not question it. Mind you it was not the subject of the conversation and maybe the person to whom I was speaking was not fully aware.

Why don't you try contacting Nationwide, saying you are a potential customer and ask what would be their take on you giving a card to another trusted family member ?

somebody
1st January 2009, 14:00
Ie the fact the user is a non UK resident and if the card is in their name.

I am not UK resident, for the past 20years. My registered address with the bank is in Spain. The resident in UK thing only applies to opening a new account, although, by writing to the CEO, I got a new credit card account last last as 'a special favour to a special customer' so it can be done.

I suggest you never lie to your bank, hide facts etc. If they find out you have, then you have destroyed your reputation.

Very true about never lying to Banks.

No i dont mean you have to be resident in the UK. Im guessing your still either a british citzen or resident? I know British people sometimes when abroad get classfied as non uk resident but possibly still keep their british citzenship?
Bit of a grey area to me.

Although it has change recently some banks, insurance comapnies and the like, simply state you must be a british resident or citzen. Which I belive is different to being resident in the UK?

Its a tricky situation with people on Spouse and Finace Visas and the like in the UK.

As some organsations will happily sign you up and take your money but technically they have written in to their t&c's passages about being at least a UK resident.

On a spouse visa for example everyday Travel Insurance from most companies would be if the company chooses invalid as they are not a UK resident. But with some their own defintion would allow it

When i asked a few insurance companies about this they gave me various answers the person at least had to have ILR, others said you had to be in the uK for at least six months, some 183 days. Another Our policies are only available to UK residents who we define as: "a person who has their main home in the United Kingdom and who is registered with a medical practitioner in the United Kingdom".

The United Kingdom is - England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

But this was just the customer services people not their legal team.
So any company you deal with you need to find out what they consider as a UK resident in writing. Of course if your a good long term customer they may wavier any rules. Then im sure its different for a person who resides in the EU as opposed the rest of the world.

Banks were the same some would accept just a passport with a visa with permission to be in the UK and proof of address others wanted the person to be a uk resident and when i asked they said the person should be on the Electoral register!
My Wife was offered a Credit card with her account when not a UK resident but others have told me that was technically impossible. So maybe if she had an issue where it was in the Banks favour to invalidate her claim they would have suddenly noticed this?

Also I noticed over the years many competions state the person must be a UK resident and some resident of the UK. Again very vague.

So bit of a grey area for me and if anyone knows for sure it would be intresting to know.
I noticed while reading up on the matter the different departments of the British goverment have different understandings of the term even!!

David House
1st January 2009, 14:21
We have had a few problems with ATMs and Nationwide cards recently. My wife's card was retained because they had issued a faulty new card just before we left the UK and the re-issued card was, of course, sent to our UK address. We had it couriered here (great service 2 days for £20 for a well stuffed A4 size letter) and sorted that out. Then my card was blocked twice. I phoned them and got it cleared. It was caused by the high level of activity. We have been withdrawing 20,000 pesos a day recently as our niece is seriously ill and has to have a second brain operation. The hospitals only accept cash! I have found machines which will give 20,000 in one hit, whilst most will now give 10,000. With Nationwide that is not an issue because they make no charge per withdrawal.
By the way I use Skype to call the UK and have found it most useful. I can call any UK landline for an unlimited time for a charge of around £4.50 per month. This enable me to call my business every day, stay in touch with family and sort out problems such as the Nationwide one. The line is super clear. I have even found a website on which you can convert 0891 type numbers to regular ones so can call them too. Finally some credit to Nationwide. They claim a 24 hour, 365 days a year service. I called them at 5.30 am UK time on Christmas day and was answered promptly and efficiently by a bright young lady who was not at all miffed at working such a rotten shift.

joebloggs
1st January 2009, 17:37
Finally some credit to Nationwide. They claim a 24 hour, 365 days a year service. I called them at 5.30 am UK time on Christmas day and was answered promptly and efficiently by a bright young lady who was not at all miffed at working such a rotten shift.

that's nothing, i phoned a NHS help line number a couple of years ago, looking for advice about my misses taking exams, expecting just to get a recorded message, that's why i phoned 3am in the morning :D (after being up til that time chatting to the misses) only for the phone to be answered by a happy sounding and helpful Scottish lady :yikes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
1st January 2009, 17:49
only for the phone to be answered by a happy sounding and helpful Scottish lady :yikes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So they should be, after all some of our tax money is going north of the border.... And we get naff all for that.... :NoNo:

somebody
1st January 2009, 18:17
So they should be, after all some of our tax money is going north of the border.... And we get naff all for that.... :NoNo:

The rest goes to Wales doesn't it:rolleyes:

aromulus
2nd January 2009, 08:48
The rest goes to Wales doesn't it:rolleyes:

I wouldn't see anything wrong with that if it did get here....:omg:

Plonker
3rd January 2009, 03:37
Usually when that happens the funds will bounce back into your account, the atm might have no cash in it or is simply unable to proceed with the transaction. I've had that here in the UK as well as in Manila.

I'm with HSBC and I found out by accident that I had to notify my bank 24 hours prior to going to Manila, so that my bank could put a travel marker on my debit and visa card, the travel marker unlocks the cards so it can be used in Manila or any international destination. Its one of these new security things, maybe your bank has already implimented it. So that might be the reason why she cant get money from the atm.

David House
3rd January 2009, 04:22
Nationwide do not restrict their cards for international travel. Read their website, there is no need to advise them of your travel plans although other banks do ask that you do so. Heavy use may trigger a security block requiring a call to release it, hence my use of Skype to enable easy UK calling.

joebloggs
3rd January 2009, 04:31
Heavy use may trigger a security block requiring a call to release it, hence my use of Skype to enable easy UK calling.

doesn't even have to be heavy usage, any thing unusual maybe trigger a block on the card, my Barclay card was blocked after a couple of small transactions for a couple of £ each, used to make a call from china and buy something from inside china:yikes:.

Barclay card fraud told me, it looks like they were trying the card number out, to see if it was valid/active by making small purchases, but Barclaycard locked the card just in case they tired to more expensive purchases, they told me if the first purchases were more expensive they probably would have allowed them :yikes:

somebody
3rd January 2009, 15:57
Nationwide do not restrict their cards for international travel. Read their website, there is no need to advise them of your travel plans although other banks do ask that you do so. Heavy use may trigger a security block requiring a call to release it, hence my use of Skype to enable easy UK calling.

I have noticed very few debit or credit cards we have used are restricted for international use. I think most companies dont really want you wasting their time as its delaying them dealing with other customers. Some pay post in on their website but many travel and never bother and never notice.

But i do know when people have either found out that there was an issue with their card being cloned. That or had them blocked when they are or have been abroad is done for totally random events. Like Joe says.

I have had a credit card company ring me up for two uses of my card in quick sucession and then used my credit card in three contients in less than a day and nothing happen.

I do know from experience if say a company delays processing a payment form your debit card (some uk based shops in the past have not gone though for a couple of weeks in my experience) this may with some software if you then use it in phill or wherever abroad confuse them as the same card is used 8000 miles apart at the same time.

I know of people who have had this happen, a quick phone call sorts it out. But thats not always easy when in the middle of no where and unsure why its blocked or not working.

Credit card use in phill is rapidly changing i remeber only mastercard being accepted in many places in 04 by 05 visa was everywhere. But most from memory dont use chip and pin which is a good on the point of the bank covering any losses but not so good as its so easy to have someone misuse it.

PeterB
3rd January 2009, 16:03

Hmm... I made a couple of ATM withdrawals and my card was then blocked. It was even blocked a second time, after I had already notified them of my permanent address in Phils. Imagine that conversation:

"Yes sir, we blocked your card because there had been some withdrawals in Philippines"

"Have you looked at my address? Where do you expect me to make withdrawals?"

PeterB
3rd January 2009, 16:07
Credit card use in phill is rapidly changing i remeber only mastercard being accepted in many places in 04 by 05 visa was everywhere. But most from memory dont use chip and pin which is a good on the point of the bank covering any losses but not so good as its so easy to have someone misuse it.

Most stores do, now, have 'chip and pin', although it confuses the cashier when the machine requests pin entry. Even when a chip and pin system is used, most cashiers still ask you to sign the slip!

johncar54
3rd January 2009, 16:20
Most stores do, now, have 'chip and pin', although it confuses the cashier when the machine requests pin entry. Even when a chip and pin system is used, most cashiers still ask you to sign the slip!

Just after the pin and chip came in I used to have arguments with shops in Glorieta in Makati when they wanted the pin, plus a signature plus ID.

Incidentially. When I use my card, which is on a Spanish bank, in Spain (its restricted to Spain) I get an instant text message and a request to notify the bank if it was not my transaction.

trends5squared
5th January 2009, 23:58

no you cant print mini statements. What you can do is ask your wife to talk to the general manager of that bank. They can trace the transactions of that account in their system. If it shows that the money was already cleared, then you have the guard (duty on that day) to verify and make an affidavit that that there was no money taken out.

somebody
6th January 2009, 20:00

Wow major changes in the last 5 years then with regards the use of cards in the shops. No wonder the sales assitants are finding it complicated.

No wonder the bank atms are getting slower the amount of data going back and forth if chip and pin is implemented. We all have been in that situation when on a busy saturday in the UK the chip and pin or atm in the uk take for ever or sometimes times out and they have to restart the request.