PDA

View Full Version : advise about parents

erlmd1012
31st December 2008, 19:56
Hello everybody, i just need an advise about something. My mum is a widow, she's currently 64 years old. I'm planning to bring her here for a visit in the middle of 2009, with a view to apply for a dependant visa in the future. She'll be 65 just before her visitor visa expires. My question is, can I apply for a dependant visa while she is still in the uk on a visitors visa? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

simplelife
31st December 2008, 20:04
Hello everybody, i just need an advise about something. My mum is a widow, she's currently 64 years old. I'm planning to bring her here for a visit in the middle of 2009, with a view to apply for a dependant visa in the future. She'll be 65 just before her visitor visa expires. My question is, can I apply for a dependant visa while she is still in the uk on a visitors visa? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Hello erlmd1012,

I dont think a visitor visa holder in the UK can apply for a dependant visa, as stated on the rules from the UKvisas website that:

Visiting family, friends or as a tourist

If you want to visit family or friends in the UK or to come as a tourist you should apply as a general visitor. To visit the UK in this capacity you must be able to show that:

you intend to visit the UK for no more than six months;
you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit, and
you have enough money to support yourself and live in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds.

winner
31st December 2008, 20:15
you can not apply for any other visa when she in uk has to go back home and apply again

joebloggs
31st December 2008, 21:00
that's right, no upgrade path from a visitor visa.

also if your thinking of getting a dependant visa for her, then i think it could be difficult, but not impossible

The rules are very strict on dependent s and she has virtually, has to be destitute and out on the street in their home country. Also no immediate relatives in her home country of any kind.
One other rule is that she would have to prove she was wholly or mainly reliant on funding from whoever she is to settle with in the UK, but some people have managed to get their parents here !

and

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/retiredpersonsroute

Mrs.JMajor
1st January 2009, 03:07
Joe,what visa should be use getting kids aged 4 and 14, is it the normal "settlement visa"?

joebloggs
1st January 2009, 03:47
Joe,what visa should be use getting kids aged 4 and 14, is it the normal "settlement visa"?

i take it their your kids, and your husbands step kids ?

same form as you, VAF4 if i remember correctly ..

all the info is below that you need to know :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/chapter14/

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf6familymembers

and wishing you a great 2009, you've helped many members on the forum with advice Mrs.JMajor :xxgrinning--00xx3: keep up the good work :D

Mrs.JMajor
1st January 2009, 12:54
and wishing you a great 2009, you've helped many members on the forum with advice Mrs.JMajor :xxgrinning--00xx3: keep up the good work :D

Aww,sweet ! Thanks for that Joe, I really appreciate your words ,thanks:Hellooo::BouncyHappy:

pennybarry
1st January 2009, 14:04

If I were you, I will let my Mum to visit UK first and see if she will like to settle here. I have met lot of Mums who granted visit visa in the UK, Holland and Canada, but they feel bored and cold and they didn't finish their visa to stay longer.

IainBusby
1st January 2009, 14:53

If I were you I'd just concentrate on applying for the visit visa first before you even think about the more complicated dependant visa bit. Because you don't even know yet if your going to be one of the very few winners on the visit visa lottery.
Iain.

somebody
1st January 2009, 19:11
If I were you, I will let my Mum to visit UK first and see if she will like to settle here. I have met lot of Mums who granted visit visa in the UK, Holland and Canada, but they feel bored and cold and they didn't finish their visa to stay longer.

Wise words.

I have met a few phill hubbys of Nurses and carers who hate it here. Nothing to do and hard to meet people from the same background.

Must be even worse for those older who feel the cold more generally.

simplelife
2nd January 2009, 01:42
If I were you, I will let my Mum to visit UK first and see if she will like to settle here.

Thats a good idea Pennyberry:xxgrinning--00xx3:

pennybarry
2nd January 2009, 14:52
Thats a good idea Pennyberry:xxgrinning--00xx3:

My hubby's name is Barry not Berry so it's pennybarry:xxgrinning--00xx3: :icon_lol: but I love berries too!!! :BouncyHappy: so it's ok! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

simplelife
2nd January 2009, 14:57
My hubby's name is Barry not Berry so it's pennybarry:xxgrinning--00xx3: :icon_lol: but I love berries too!!! :BouncyHappy: so it's ok! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol: Oh O oh dear... Im glad I made you laugh. Happy New Year Penny. I love berries, too thats why maybe I typed berries instead barry :icon_lol:

What a good start of the year 2009. Let`s all keep laughing.
As the saying goes " Bawal ang nakasimangot" :icon_lol::icon_lol:

pennybarry
2nd January 2009, 15:54
:icon_lol::icon_lol: Oh O oh dear... Im glad I made you laugh. Happy New Year Penny. I love berries, too thats why maybe I typed berries instead barry :icon_lol:

What a good start of the year 2009. Let`s all keep laughing.
As the saying goes " Bawal ang nakasimangot" :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Eheheh ahahhahah hakhakhak keeps smiling lols:icon_lol:

simplelife
2nd January 2009, 16:27
Eheheh ahahhahah hakhakhak keeps smiling lols:icon_lol:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::Hellooo:

joss36
2nd January 2009, 17:10
My parents been here in the UK once for my 8 years here. They have a six months visa but unfortunately they didn't last for 2months:NoNo: although its summer when they got here still they are cold what worst is they are home sick. I feel a bit annoyed as I spend loads of money getting them here so I can spend time with them for atleast for 6 months bec we can't go home morethan 4 weeks in every two years and at the same time they can be with their granchildren for a bit as they are totally strangers with them.

That's the story before wasting money you have to think about your parents wants not what you want like me.