PDA

View Full Version : waiting time for citizenship

john sergison
28th January 2009, 20:24
hi everyone

a friend of mine has asked me a question about how long she needs to wait before she can apply for citizenship.

she came to UK on student nurse visa and UK entry was november 2004.

she completed her nurse adaptation course and was given her nurses pin number in april 2005

once she received her pin number her student nurse visa was changed to a work permit.

her work permit is valid from july 2005 until july 2010.

does her waiting time to apply for ILTR and citizenship start from her entry on student nurse visa or from work permit issue.

i have told her that i would think it is from the date of her entry to the UK but i would see what the consensus of opinion was from the forum.

thanks in advance
john

darren-b
28th January 2009, 20:36
Unfortunately I don't believe the time here on a student visa counts, it has to be 5 years on a Work Permit to get ILR. Then once you've had ILR for a year you can apply for British citizenship.

I suspect though by July 2010 the rules would have changed.

lizaphil
28th January 2009, 22:00
hi everyone

a friend of mine has asked me a question about how long she needs to wait before she can apply for citizenship.

she came to UK on student nurse visa and UK entry was november 2004.

she completed her nurse adaptation course and was given her nurses pin number in april 2005

once she received her pin number her student nurse visa was changed to a work permit.

her work permit is valid from july 2005 until july 2010.

does her waiting time to apply for ILTR and citizenship start from her entry on student nurse visa or from work permit issue.

i have told her that i would think it is from the date of her entry to the UK but i would see what the consensus of opinion was from the forum.

thanks in advance
john

hello,
go here
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/