PDA

View Full Version : Dual Citizenships

nparvus1202
5th February 2009, 11:00
Hi guys, I just want to get some info on dual citizenships. If you got your British citizenship now, is your Philippine citizenship still valid? Or you need to re-apply? What was the law on that. Because according to UK website, if your current country accepts dual citizenships and you did your UK ceremony you might still be a citizen of your old country.

rusty
5th February 2009, 12:01
According to the website for the Philippine embassy in London www.philemb.org.uk

"Filipino citizens who have acquired foreign citizenship can retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance before a consul at the Philippine Embassy."

darren-b
5th February 2009, 13:00
when my wife became british last year she went to the embassy so that she could retain her philippines citizenship. I've wondered though how a country would know if you became a citizen of another country.

jimeve
5th February 2009, 13:29
According to the website for the Philippine embassy in London www.philemb.org.uk

"Filipino citizens who have acquired foreign citizenship can retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance before a consul at the Philippine Embassy."

do you need to make an appointment to take " oath of allegiance"
or can one go on the day without an appointment.

ginapeterb
5th February 2009, 13:30
[QUOTE] I've wondered though how a country would know if you became a citizen of another country./QUOTE]

Good point D ! we often discuss this point, how can they know ? unless Home Office informs them, what's the chances of that ?

We are in no hurry at present to re-affirm, I'm sure it will get done at some stage, perhaps in a couple of months or so.

jimeve
5th February 2009, 13:47
Hi guys, I just want to get some info on dual citizenships. If you got your British citizenship now, is your Philippine citizenship still valid?
As far as i know, your Philippine citizenship's not valid if you acquired British
citizenship. you can apply for Dual citizenship.

rusty
5th February 2009, 14:11
do you need to make an appointment to take " oath of allegiance"
or can one go on the day without an appointment.

Look at the website for fee and requirement details

"Oath-taking ceremonies take place from Monday to Friday, 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Applicants should submit their application (with all the requirements) at least one (1) hour before the scheduled oath taking."

nparvus1202
5th February 2009, 14:44
I was thinking also why you have to reaffirm when you did not renounce your citizenship. You just added one, and Philippine law allows dual. Strange. Money making?

jimeve
5th February 2009, 16:04
Look at the website for fee and requirement details

"Oath-taking ceremonies take place from Monday to Friday, 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Applicants should submit their application (with all the requirements) at least one (1) hour before the scheduled oath taking."

Thanks for your reply rusty, so no need to book an appointment.

Just make sure to submit all requirements one hour before oath taking.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Bluebirdjones
5th February 2009, 16:15
Dual nationality does sometimes have its drawbacks...

My son (who lives in London), and who has dual nationality, received his
"call-up" papers from the Bulgarian Army when he turned 18 yrs old.
After explaining & proving that he's a full-time student he's exempt... but
he finishes University this year and either has to report for his military
training or renounce his citizenship.

Unlikely in the case of the Philippines, but never say never.

darren-b
5th February 2009, 18:05
Thanks for your reply rusty, so no need to book an appointment.

Just make sure to submit all requirements one hour before oath taking.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also be prepared to be in there a while, my wife's oath taking was closer to 4pm then 3pm....

jimeve
5th February 2009, 18:10
Also be prepared to be in there a while, my wife's oath taking was closer to 4pm then 3pm....

Going to make a holiday that Friday till Sunday.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nparvus1202
7th February 2009, 20:26
Here is another information I got from older people who became citizens way way back about taking Oath of Allegiance and Pledge. Oath of allegiance is not taking away your other citizenship, means if you took Oath over Pledge, then you are still a citizen of the Philippines, but if you took Pledge then you renounced your other citizenship and need to apply for dual.

Geraldine
7th February 2009, 20:50
:Erm:Really? I am now confused, there's two kinds in the ceremony -Oath and Affirmation but both included a Pledge. I took my Oath of Alligiance including the Pledge since we were all asked to say it and that was just last month so does it mean I lost my Filipino citizenship?

I wasn't worried about this before bec I thought all along that even if I take this British citizenship ceremony that I will still retain my Filipino Citizenship.

:Erm:

nparvus1202
7th February 2009, 21:12
Maybe it's not the Pledge but the Affirmation. They can't tell me exactly which one. One has God the other has none. But also is has to do with UK law. None has written that it is taking away your other nationality nor renouncing it before taking the Pledge or Oath.

PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATIONS: New rules on dual citizenship:Under the law, Filipinos who became, or are intending to become naturalized citizens of other countries, have not lost their Philippine citizenship. According to Mr. Fernandez, a Filipino who presents a foreign passport shall only be given an indefinite stay in the country if he or she can show a valid Philippine passport or a certificate from the BI as proof of dual citizenship.

charlwill
7th February 2009, 22:38
:Erm:Really? I am now confused, there's two kinds in the ceremony -Oath and Affirmation but both included a Pledge. I took my Oath of Alligiance including the Pledge since we were all asked to say it and that was just last month so does it mean I lost my Filipino citizenship?

I wasn't worried about this before bec I thought all along that even if I take this British citizenship ceremony that I will still retain my Filipino Citizenship.

:Erm:

Four years ago, before I applied for my naturalisation ( British Citizenship). I remember phoning the Phils. Embassy and asked some of my questions.
I.e
Am I still a filipino citizen if I attended a Ceremony for my Naturalisation? and I remembered what the Embassy told me. Automatically you're no longer a Filipino Citizen but you can obtain it again by means of dual citizenship and you have to apply for Retention and Reacquisition (which I did after 3 months).
My Next question then was, Can I travel with my Philippines after I attended my ceremony for my naturalisation? No, you're not allowed to travel with your Philippines Passport after you attended for your naturalisation ceremony even if your Phils passport is not expire.

nparvus1202
8th February 2009, 00:46
Four years ago, before I applied for my naturalisation ( British Citizenship). I remember phoning the Phils. Embassy and asked some of my questions.
I.e
Am I still a filipino citizen if I attended a Ceremony for my Naturalisation? and I remembered what the Embassy told me. Automatically you're no longer a Filipino Citizen but you can obtain it again by means of dual citizenship and you have to apply for Retention and Reacquisition (which I did after 3 months).
My Next question then was, Can I travel with my Philippines after I attended my ceremony for my naturalisation? No, you're not allowed to travel with your Philippines Passport after you attended for your naturalisation ceremony even if your Phils passport is not expire.

You phoned 4 years ago, the new rules was updated april 2007. Here is the complete guidelines ...

"New Rules on Dual Citizenship

PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATIONS: New rules on dual citizenship: Filipinos with dual citizenships can now enter end leave the country, trouble free, as long as they present both their Philippine and foreign passports to immigration officers at the time of arrival or departure, according to immigrations Commissioner Alipio Fernandez Jr.

This developed after bureau of immigration came out with new rules for arriving and departing passengers who availed themselves of the dual citizenship law passed by Congress last year.

Under the law, Filipinos who became, or are intending to become naturalized citizens of other countries, have not lost their Philippine citizenship. According to Mr. Fernandez, a Filipino who presents a foreign passport shall only be given an indefinite stay in the country if he or she can show a valid Philippine passport or a certificate from the BI as proof of dual citizenship.

The immigration officer then makes the appropriate stamp on both the foreign and Philippine passports of the passenger. Immigration executive director Roy Almoro said the new rules were issued in the wake of reports of misunderstanding between immigration officers and passengers with dual citizenship.

Airport immigration head of supervisors Ferdinand Sampol said dual citizens who entered the country using foreign passports will be cleared for departure provided they present a valid Philippine passport and bureau of immigration certificate.

The passenger is no longer required to present a certificate, exit permit or proof of payment of immigration fees. "

This was out to public 13 April 2007.

charlwill
8th February 2009, 00:53
You phoned 4 years ago, the new rules was updated april 2007.

Very true but not much difference during my time. I am still updated. I am always visited the Phils Embassy website. In fact all the requirements are still the same.

nparvus1202
8th February 2009, 01:09
If one did not lose their citizenship then what are those requirements are for?

charlwill
8th February 2009, 01:35
If one did not lose their citizenship then what are those requirements are for?

Yes,filipino citizen will not lose their citizenship if they applied for the Retention/Reacquisition. But you're no longer a citizen of the Philippines if you never applied for it. Same rules during my time and even at this time.

Retention/Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship
Filipino citizens who have acquired foreign citizenship can retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance before a consul at the Philippine Embassy.
Following are the documentary requirements:
1. Two (2) completed Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition application form (Note: The applicant should sign his/her name as appearing in his/her foreign naturalization certificate or foreign passport. In case of change of name, the applicant should state the name appearing in the birth certificate or the old Philippine passport.)

2. Two (2) copies each of the following documents :

a. birth certificate

b. marriage certificate (for married female applicants)

c. data page of old Philippine passport

d. naturalization paper

e. data page of foreign passport
3. Five (5) recent passport size (4.5cm x 3.5cm) Photographs (front view) of the applicant

4. Fee of GBP 36.00

*For dependent minors (below 18 years of age) of applicant/s:
a. fee of GBP 18.00
b. two (2) photocopies of the minor's birth certificate, and two (2) photocopies of the date page of the minor's foreign passport
c. One (1) passport size photograph of the childIn case of change of name/discrepancy in name, the applicant should submit an affidavit explaining the difference with at least two (2) supporting documents showing his/her correct name.

If the applicant secured a correction of entry of his/her birth certificate with the appropriate Local Civil Registrar Office or the Court, the Order and Identification Certificate, if any, shall state the name of the applicant as reflected in the annotated birth certificate.

The Philippine Embassy may request additional documentary evidence from the applicants.

Note: Oath-taking ceremonies take place from Monday to Friday, 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Applicants should submit their application (with all the requirements) at least one (1) hour before the scheduled oath taking.
Further Note: On the day of the oath taking, applicants may submit their application for a new passport, for which a separate fee of GBP 36.00 will be charged, along with the submission of other requirements.

charlwill
8th February 2009, 01:49
Oh, by the way nparvus1202, I have a very good example in here just happen recently. My filipina friend went to the Philippines to spend christmas with her family.She's a naturalised British citizen. Never applied for retention/reacquisition for her filipino citizen. She used her Phils passport, she entered the country without trouble at all. But during her return in this country she was been stopped by immigration officer in NAIA and was been told that she's not a filipino anymore because she is a naturalised citizen of UK. So, the immigration officer discussed the meaning of life to her and she was been told to apply for retention/reacquisition if she wants to used her Phils. passport.

nparvus1202
8th February 2009, 02:01
So if you took an oath to UK, you need to take an oath again to Philippines? And if you did that you will take an oath again to UK? and agin to Philippines, and again to .... caramba.

Did she chalenge it using the rule of Commissioner Fernandez? Did she also say that if she took an Oath of Allegiance to Philippines she might lose her UK citizenship? I am not saying she will, because if you will lose it in Philippines why not in UK or any other country.

charlwill
8th February 2009, 02:10
So if you took an oath to UK, you need to take an oath again to Philippines? And if you did that you will take an oath again to UK? and agin to Philippines, and again to .... caramba.
Did she chalenge t using the rule of Commissioner Fernandez? Did she also say that if she took an Oath of Allegiance to Philippines she might lose her UK citizenship?
She did told everything but never won in the immigration because she was in the wrong position. She never applied to reagain her citizenship in the Philippines. I dont think she will lose her citizenship in this country if she never commit criminal offense.

darren-b
8th February 2009, 09:03

Did she chalenge it using the rule of Commissioner Fernandez? Did she also say that if she took an Oath of Allegiance to Philippines she might lose her UK citizenship? I am not saying she will, because if you will lose it in Philippines why not in UK or any other country.

The UK doesn't care if you become a citizen of another country so that is not an issue.

Commissioner Fernandez doesn't decide what the law is - if you read the act that was passed in 2003 (which is still valid) it states that you have to take the oath to retain (or re-aquire) your philippines citizenship.

nparvus1202
8th February 2009, 10:42
So Republic Act No. 9225 is actually reacquiring Philippine citizenship. Whether you lose it before 2003 or after 2003. Because you are taking the same oath, paying an amount. Fernanzez should have made it clear,..will not lose citizenship...if you took an oath.

charlwill
8th February 2009, 11:38
So Republic Act No. 9225 is actually reacquiring Philippine citizenship. Whether you lose it before 2003 or after 2003. Because you are taking the same oath, paying an amount. Fernanzez should have made it clear,..will not lose citizenship...if you took an oath.
Yes, filipino citizen will not lose their citizenship if they take an oath but if not by law they're no longer a citizen. It is very clear in the website Filipino citizens who have acquired foreign citizenship can retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance before a consul at the Philippine Embassy.So, meaning if you will never apply and take the oath you are no longer a filipino citizen

fred
8th February 2009, 12:55
So, meaning if you will never apply and take the oath you are no longer a filipino citizen

The funny thing was that being a "former Filipino" gave them quite a few of their old rights..Purchase of land being one..
A lot of them had both passports regardless of them being British..They simply applied for a new passport in P.I...
Yehey!!! Filipino again!

Geraldine
10th February 2009, 22:01
Was thinking now should I bother re-acquiring my Philippine citizenship at the Phil Embassy or could I just do it like in 5yrs or so? Dont know if it will make any difference its just that right now with my present condition-due to give birth on May and will be busy with 3 little boys - I just can't be bothered to go to London and besides I got no plans of going back to Phil until all my children are abit older and easier to travel with them along. No plans of doing any business nor buying properties as well..so I just dont see any importance in getting a dual citizenship at this stage.

I havent reported my marriage and all my sons birth to the Philippine Embassy as well...is that alright? I know I just have to pay a penalty fee for late filing but what else is the damage?

darren-b
10th February 2009, 22:09
Was thinking now should I bother re-acquiring my Philippine citizenship at the Phil Embassy or could I just do it like in 5yrs or so? Dont know if it will make any difference its just that right now with my present condition-due to give birth on May and will be busy with 3 little boys - I just can't be bothered to go to London and besides I got no plans of going back to Phil until all my children are abit older and easier to travel with them along. No plans of doing any business nor buying properties as well..so I just dont see any importance in getting a dual citizenship at this stage.

I havent reported my marriage and all my sons birth to the Philippine Embassy as well...is that alright? I know I just have to pay a penalty fee for late filing but what else is the damage?

In some ways you are better off not becoming Filipino again as I don't think the British government can take your British citizenship away from you as you would become stateless.

LadyJ
10th February 2009, 22:12

You will need it in the future.

ie. if you want to retire in the Phils or buy land/property.

also a good benefit for your childrens but dont wait them to reach 18 yrs old.

Reporting marriage =you'll force to do it when you need to renew your Phils passport.
Report of birth =can do it later but I suggest not to leave it for long.

Geraldine
10th February 2009, 22:37
Thanks for the quick replies! :)

I plan to get dual citizenship and report my marriage/birth to the embassy its just my hands are full right now and can't find time to do it...just want to be reassured that it can wait.

wynna
11th February 2009, 21:40

Why do you make it so difficult? It's a choice for you to make, If you're not happy pledging one way or the other then don't, just wait till you experience yourself (wife) what will happen next.