PDA

View Full Version : Manila to mindanao

jimeve
15th February 2009, 20:03
Documentary on bbc2 tonight at 9.20, 15/2/2009.

Manila to Mindanao. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ann07
15th February 2009, 20:05
Documentary on bbc2 tonight at 9.20, 15/2/2009.

Manila to Mindanao. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for the reminder jimeve:xxgrinning--00xx3:
My husband cannot wait to see it. Hope its more of the good side about PI:)

alicat
15th February 2009, 20:07
thanks for the information.

kimmi
15th February 2009, 20:10
thanks Jim, I hope they will give fair outlook of the Philippines..:)

charlwill
15th February 2009, 20:36
Thanks for the info.

somebody
15th February 2009, 22:24
Its now on

LadyJ
15th February 2009, 22:28
Just read this post and I quickly turned on my telly. Im watching it now.

Thanks

gemini63
15th February 2009, 23:30
just finished watching it. It doesnt give any good outlook about phil. It even gave worst imagination to those who hvnt gone to phil. yet. It affects tourism promotion about phil..the more loads of tourist will be afraid to go phil. I feel bad watching it as a filipino.Its hurts...

georyz
15th February 2009, 23:37
my wife and I feel bad about it too as not all places in mindanao is in trouble just like Davao :(

Rob & Anne
15th February 2009, 23:41
they just featured the bad side...they didnt show the wonderful things in the phils...

jackmac452
15th February 2009, 23:54
Was fascinated with the gap of Mrs. Marcos's wealth and the rest of the country..Maybe if they took it all off her.. they could build more houses and hospitals..but again,Religion attempts to keep the ordinary person under it's control..Common sense not to have such big families, didn't agree with the Churches stance on contraception.. Loved the bit about the little big eared creatures that they were trying to conserve...Enjoyed the program..

deckard97f
16th February 2009, 09:44
My wife and myself watched it and where really looking forward to it, i wanted to see those beautiful Islands in Cebu that i miss so much, the rainforests Lake Taal etc etc.

We where both very dissappointed in that it painted a really bad picture of the country.

I even got a text from my sister in Ireland asking me if my wife came from those areas (slums), i said no she lived with Imelda - i wish :)

Have to say a tiny part of me is happy coz it will keep the British lout tourists away, they generally choose Thailand rather than Phillippines anway.
I bet you the tourist board is really pissed and they should complain to the BBC as this type of TV is damaging.

:angry:

KeithD
16th February 2009, 09:59
they just featured the bad side...they didnt show the wonderful things in the phils...
:Erm: From a Western point of view......they would be what exactly?

chris40
16th February 2009, 10:20
the population boom in manila, the poverty and the fact of the philippines being a christian country was well worth covering.i also found the stark contrast of the residents in the graveyard to this country fascinating.
but there was many missed opertunitys in the hour long show.
i would have emphasised the coulerful jeeepneys, the renowned hospitality of the people there,the hard working nature and the love to have fun attitude.and of course the terrible singing .
the palawan section of the show could have shown the bats and the largest underground river but unfortunately a bunch of filthy plastic bags took centre stage.
to sumarise, if i had not visited the philippines for myself and knew any better that show would not make me want to visit the place.

KeithD
16th February 2009, 10:40
.....that show would not make me want to visit the place.
I've been myself and wouldn't really like to go back......and nor would my wife....and I guess 1,000's of filipina's in the West would like not to go back as well.......so why do they? Family.......it is not for the love of the country.

the_ONE
16th February 2009, 11:51
I thought the programme was well made and quite interesting, but if you have seen the other shows in the series it is clear that this programme is basically an issues-based show looking at the environmental, political and social issues facing parts of the world that are not on the usual tourist trail. It is definitely not a travel show, and so I think people should have been aware of what to expect really. That said, they mentioned Palawan as a growing ecotourism hotspot, but didn’t really show why, so the story of the sea gypsies wasn’t shown its proper context. We were supposed to feel sorry for them because their homes might be cleared for some civic improvements, destroying their way of life, but personally I think that’s what happens in the name of progress and I think people need to adapt to survive. I thought the issues surrounding the church’s attitude to family planning were particularly poignant, let’s hope the government become slightly more enlightened or at least more realistic. Some of the other stuff in the show like the cemetery was pretty grisly but quite eye-opening, and also I thought the presenter looked quite embarrassed at how shameless Imelda was.

fred
16th February 2009, 12:17
Have to say a tiny part of me is happy coz it will keep the British lout tourists away, they generally choose Thailand rather than Phillippines anway.
I bet you the tourist board is really pissed and they should complain to the BBC as this type of TV is damaging.

This is very true..I have said the same myself on many occasion..
I was a bit worried that the protests in the Thai airports would drive more tourism here but thank God that hasn`t happened.

chris40
16th February 2009, 14:38
one mans food is anothers poison.
personaly i loved my 2 trips to the philippines but i know some people who would not too.
for example my mother would moan for great britain over there.
first she would complain about the length of the flight, then the heat, then the sanitary conditions ,then the cramped public transport ,then the pollution etc etc.
but personaly i am looking forward to my next visit
especialy as the next time i go it will be with my wife who arives in this country on the 1st of march !!

Pepe n Pilar
16th February 2009, 16:35
Hubby recorded it for me last night. I was surprised bec they just featured the slums, the narrow streets where you can find 11 children in one family living in a shanty, rubbish dumped in the sea, the long time clash between MNLF and the gov't, the negative aspects of living in that country. For someone who had never been to the Phils they won't be encouraged visiting the Phils. As i was watching that portion where Imelda was in her condominium in Taguig, i thought the City of Taguig will also be shown. That area has posh villages and condominiums and streets are really clean and has landscaped gardens. New and modern buildings and class A hotels and restaurants are all around the area. There are posh villages in Manila which were not shown. I was expecting for these things to be shown: When you arrive at Manila Int'l Airport a group of filipinos in the arrival area are singing tagalog songs (which is a sign of hospitality), smiling and friendly filipinos, the business districts, Intramuros, the 16th century walled city, historical sites in some provinces, the beautiful beaches in different parts of the country( just to name a few.) I was thinking it will be fair they should have done a balanced documentary film of the beautiful archipelago, "The Philippines".

benb
16th February 2009, 16:42

Its human nature, we like to see the bad stuff so that we can bring out the good we have. :doh:doh

Really disappointing program and poorly edited too.:NoNo:

PeterB
18th February 2009, 16:48
...my mother would moan for great britain over there.
first she would complain about the length of the flight, then the heat, then the sanitary conditions ,then the cramped public transport ,then the pollution etc etc.

That sounds very much like my ex-wife ....

pennybarry
19th February 2009, 07:42
My mouse took me here because my thread was closed:cwm23:. After 2 days I have not been online, I didn't know what happened:doh
Who requested to close it???????:CompBuster:Can u PM me why?

KeithD
19th February 2009, 09:52
My mouse took me here because my thread was closed:cwm23:. After 2 days I have not been online, I didn't know what happened:doh
Who requested to close it???????:CompBuster:Can u PM me why?
I think Rob had one of his Welsh moments! :rolleyes:

Pepe n Pilar
19th February 2009, 09:57
Hi Pennybarry,

I think it was because some posted out of topic but, your thread is interesting. Cheers!:)

walesrob
19th February 2009, 10:11

So define a scouse moment? Don't tell me.....stealing a car radio. :rolleyes:

pennybarry
20th February 2009, 07:11
Hi Pennybarry,

I think it was because some posted out of topic but, your thread is interesting. Cheers!:)

Thanks Yeh,
I'll try to sort things tomorrow:D

pennybarry
20th February 2009, 07:21

OK I understand, he's in the position to do such. In other words :
POWER :butthead::icon_lol:
Just kidding Rob. Girls girls and girls are like cats and dogs:action-smiley-081:

jimeve
20th February 2009, 14:17
So define a scouse moment? Don't tell me.....stealing a car radio. :rolleyes:

Suppose this threads changed too, :rolleyes:

somebody
21st February 2009, 21:16
Hubby recorded it for me last night. I was surprised bec they just featured the slums, the narrow streets where you can find 11 children in one family living in a shanty, rubbish dumped in the sea, the long time clash between MNLF and the gov't, the negative aspects of living in that country. For someone who had never been to the Phils they won't be encouraged visiting the Phils. As i was watching that portion where Imelda was in her condominium in Taguig, i thought the City of Taguig will also be shown. That area has posh villages and condominiums and streets are really clean and has landscaped gardens. New and modern buildings and class A hotels and restaurants are all around the area. There are posh villages in Manila which were not shown. I was expecting for these things to be shown: When you arrive at Manila Int'l Airport a group of filipinos in the arrival area are singing tagalog songs (which is a sign of hospitality), smiling and friendly filipinos, the business districts, Intramuros, the 16th century walled city, historical sites in some provinces, the beautiful beaches in different parts of the country( just to name a few.) I was thinking it will be fair they should have done a balanced documentary film of the beautiful archipelago, "The Philippines".

Seen some travelogues of the UK, us and Europe which show the less beuatiful side of the country or plain blimey is that what they think is worth showing of that particular country?

I agree plenty of natural beauty in the country to be seen and would be worth a show but this was not that sort of show.

But i think the inteligent tourist who wants to be off the beaten track would see the beauty (and see more when researching the country) but also be intrested in what really happens good and bad.

As we know as many Aprils to be proud of as Imeldas to be ashamed of

KeithD
21st February 2009, 21:19
The UK Version

Glasgow to Brighton:

Glasgow: I've been beaten up! :Cuckoo:
Newcastle: Foreign talking :furious3:
Leeds: I've been mugged :yikes:
Manchester: I've been robbed :omg:
Birmingham: Wrong turn, I think it's Talibanland :Erm:
London: :ARsurrender: It's full of Southerners
Brighton: :action-smiley-081: :cwm24: