PDA

View Full Version : What kinda visa?

pennybarry
28th February 2009, 10:15
I have 2 Thai friends and 1 filipina friend married to British National. Thay are staying here for 5 years + but they didn't take Life in the UK test nor ESOL. Before I took my Life in the UK test, they asked me why I want to take the exam as I can stay here more years, can also claim benefits like them. I asked them what visa they have and they said they have residency visa.
I am quite puzzle what is the difference between having an ILR and their residency visa. :Erm:

Can anybody explain me about this please?

After I passed my test, I was happily told my friend in Aussie that I passed the test and can apply for British Citizenship. But she said, SO YOU ARE NOW A POHM!:omg: I asked my hubby what is a POHM, he said I am not a POHM:NoNo:

darren-b
28th February 2009, 10:55
When did they actually arrive here? As having to take the life in the UK test to apply for ILR is fairly recent - only since April 2007.

BTW the word is Pom (or Pommy/Pommie)

pennybarry
28th February 2009, 11:06
When did they actually arrive here? As having to take the life in the UK test to apply for ILR is fairly recent - only since April 2007.

BTW the word is Pom (or Pommy/Pommie)

Thanks Darren. I think they arrived year 2004-2005. So they are lucky as they were not covered in ILR application. :yikes:

darren-b
28th February 2009, 11:12
Thanks Darren. I think they arrived year 2004-2005. So they are lucky as they were not covered in ILR application. :yikes:

That's not the main reason that they were lucky. The cost of ILR went up from £335 to £750 at the same time.