PDA

View Full Version : Can someone on a student visa get married?

Pepe n Pilar
4th March 2009, 18:08
Not sure if these were already asked here sorry but i want to clarify. Thanks for the replies...

1)Are those on a student visa allowed to get married here?

For sure visa should be converted into spouse visa in the Phils but is it allowed?

2)Which of these two visas are allowed to marry here in the UK in 2004?
a) work visa
b) visit visa

She arrived here in 2004 as a nanny of the filipinos who migrated here in UK. NOt sure what visa she has but either of the two visas which is most possible she has with her? After 4 mos she met a Brit and got married. Was this allowed in 2004?

Thanks...:)

nparvus1202
4th March 2009, 18:26
Ah, student visa and works as a nanny? And is already married? Why was it not allowed? They are married, living together, then a spouse visa is more needed. Visa has nothing to do if you want to get married.

5olidsnake
4th March 2009, 18:52
i think, but not sure
you can marry on a student visa or work visa (subject to immigration control) if you obtain "certificate of approval (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingtheuk/gettingmarried/certificateofapproval/)"

regards martin

dondi
4th March 2009, 19:28
I was on a student visa when I met my partner.

Snake is right, you have to apply for a certificate of approval (COA) from the Home Office. You must have at least 3 mos left in your current visa to qualify.

Once you get the COA, you must get married before your visa expires, then apply for a spouse visa which will entitle you another 2 years limited leave to remain visa.

darren-b
4th March 2009, 20:11
The requirement for a COA wasn't introduced until 1st February 2005. So back in 2004 they could just get married, even I believe just with a visit visa.

joebloggs
4th March 2009, 20:49
COA i think was rule illegal by the courts, but does the gov care :action-smiley-081: nope

i don't think you do need a COA to get married, the problem is finding someone who will marry you if you haven't got one :D

nanny i dont think you can change to any other type of visa, i nanny you must stay :D

Pepe n Pilar
4th March 2009, 21:49
I'm referring to two different persons here:

One came here last year and on a student visa and got married last Feb. and the other one came here as a visit/work visa in 2004 as a nanny and got married also.

Thanks for your replies. Well appreciated.
Cheers:)

gemini63
4th March 2009, 22:06
Not sure if these were already asked here sorry but i want to clarify. Thanks for the replies...

1)Are those on a student visa allowed to get married here?

For sure visa should be converted into spouse visa in the Phils but is it allowed?

2)Which of these two visas are allowed to marry here in the UK in 2004?
a) work visa
b) visit visa

She arrived here in 2004 as a nanny of the filipinos who migrated here in UK. NOt sure what visa she has but either of the two visas which is most possible she has with her? After 4 mos she met a Brit and got married. Was this allowed in 2004?

Thanks...:)

What ive heard, 3 or 4 yrs ago its easy to marry here.Just go to registrars office and tell them that you want to marry, then they will interview the applicants.One of the questions"If both hvnt married yet to other 3rd party".After interview they will ask the applicants to come back after 3 weeks to get married.Simple as that. Her marriage that yr is accepted and valid.Using it as proof, she can apply for spouse visa already, but i think she should go back to phil. to apply for one.

Pepe n Pilar
4th March 2009, 22:10
thanks Gemini so even if she got married here she still has to go back to the home country to apply for a spouse visa?I'm referring to the lady who got married last FEb. 2009.

darren-b
4th March 2009, 22:49
thanks Gemini so even if she got married here she still has to go back to the home country to apply for a spouse visa?I'm referring to the lady who got married last FEb. 2009.

I believe a student who married a British citizen can apply for FLR without leaving the UK. Might be a bit harder if they married in a register office without COA.

Jay&Zobel
5th March 2009, 00:24
I believe a student who married a British citizen can apply for FLR without leaving the UK. Might be a bit harder if they married in a register office without COA.

I think this is also one way to protect British Citizens whether or not the marriage (to a Student/Visitor/Work visa holder) is genuine or not.

Pepe n Pilar
5th March 2009, 10:38
Thank you very much indeed for all your replies.
Thanks darren-b
Cheers!:)