PDA

View Full Version : Scotland £

amam62
20th March 2009, 16:49
Is it true that scotland £ isn't widely acceptable in the Philippines money changer?

Any tips on what should i do?

IainBusby
20th March 2009, 16:53
Is it true that scotland £ isn't widely acceptable in the Philippines money changer?

Any tips on what should i do?

I wouldn't be surprised, there are many places in England that refuse to accept them. :cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:

Iain.

Mrs.JMajor
20th March 2009, 17:00
Huh !!!! :Erm:

pinky
20th March 2009, 17:05
hello there!!!
yes, it's true...and if they would change it to PHP, the exchange rate is lesser than the GBP.
i would suggest u to change ur Scotland Pounds to GBP....
hope this will help!!!!

Ann07
20th March 2009, 17:08
True, even in ths shop where i work :Erm: We are situated between scotland and england. When the costumer pays they would always ask for a bank of england notes:Erm::Erm:

I tried that in the PI too dunno why just the same value here:doh:D:omg::icon_lol:

Ji&Ma
20th March 2009, 17:10
I really doubt they will be accepted in there, as Ian mentioned in his post - got problems with them in England and never mind Europe. Once - couple years ago - in Czech I even had to go over the border to Germany to get them exchanged:doh
Best to go to the bank or post office and order exchange for Bank of England notes. If you are in some bigger town or city they might exchange them straight away (not sure about it), but in remote areas you will have to order them couple of days ahead. Bank will keep them for you to pick them up in exchange for Scottish notes. Good luck... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

james999
20th March 2009, 17:32
the Scottish pound wont be accepted in the Philippines , i usually order as many English £50 notes as i need a couple of weeks before going there from the bank and just spend my Scottish notes at the airport

tiN
20th March 2009, 18:06
They do accept it but it is lesser value than the English Pounds,:NoNo::NoNo:

Which is I think loads of rubbish:cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:

IainBusby
20th March 2009, 18:18
True, even in ths shop where i work :Erm: We are situated between scotland and england. When the costumer pays they would always ask for a bank of england notes:Erm::Erm:

I tried that in the PI too dunno why just the same value here:doh:D:omg::icon_lol:

I'm afraid it's always been like this. My family moved down to England in 1960 and it was even worse then. There were lots of Scottish people in Coventry even way back then and many of them used to bring Scottish notes back down with them when they had been back to Scotland on holidays etc, but it was always the way, some shops would accept them and others would not and I for one think this is disgraceful. :cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:
Iain.

Mrs.JMajor
20th March 2009, 18:21
So hows the scottish accept it :Erm:? just accept ?:NoNo: because cant do anything:CompBuster: Is it???

KeithD
20th March 2009, 18:21
I wouldn't be surprised, there are many places in England that refuse to accept them. :cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:

Iain.
Not surprised with the present 3 Haggis to the £ exchange rate :rolleyes:

tiN
20th March 2009, 18:26
I'm afraid it's always been like this. My family moved down to England in 1960 and it was even worse then. There were lots of Scottish people in Coventry even way back then and many of them used to bring Scottish notes back down with them when they had been back to Scotland on holidays etc, but it was always the way, some shops would accept them and others would not and I for one think this is disgraceful. :cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:
Iain.

Well I think it is tottally unfair :NoNo::NoNo:

We used to live in Oxford and experience to question when we tried to pay Scottish pounds, that is my first time to saw it. And i am absolutely:furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3:

Well I will be visiting my friend down in Cumbria next week lets see if someone will question me. I will say something definitely:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

IainBusby
20th March 2009, 18:40
:D
Not surprised with the present 3 Haggis to the £ exchange rate :rolleyes:

It's gone up while you were mid-Atlantic, it's 3 and a half haggis now. :D Getting change for half a haggis don't half make a mess.

Ann07
20th March 2009, 18:44

true:xxgrinning--00xx3:

amam62
21st March 2009, 00:17
WoW thank you so much to all of you for this very nice information...

Fortunately I'm here in Dunfermline and near the high street too. :)

So i have to rush to the post office to change them to English notes? There are a number of RBS here too. Will they exchange it 1£ to a £ too?

Arthur Little
21st March 2009, 01:45
Like many of my fellow Scots, I've experienced examples of English 'traders' and others of that ilk being either reluctant to, or point-blank refusing to accept Scottish banknotes, and I think it's utterly diabolical! So now, whenever I have occasion to venture south of the border, I always ensure I swap my notes for Bank of England ones beforehand ... just in case.

In European countries like Belgium, for example, I have been met with the same response - yet they are willing to accept the ENGLISH version, even though they normally deal in Euros there nowadays.

Believe me, I would not like to see my country disengage itself completely from its "next-door" neighbour, but I can fully sympathise with the anger felt by my own countrymen over anomalies like the ones discussed above.

That said, I very much doubt if a Scot would have a cat's chance in hell of exchanging his or her hard-earned cash in the Phils. :NoNo:

johncar54
21st March 2009, 09:16
The below quote is from the internet: I have copied only the first part as its really boring !!!!!!

The final paragraph did say, there was no good practical reason why the notes of each part of the UK should not be accepted in all parts. But, of course that does not mean that all notes should/must or may be accepted in any other country, thus the problem in Phil and the lower rate.

( As I now live in Euroland I can't see any reason whatsoever why there should not be just one note for the 'little off shore islands' of the UK !!!!!! Of course that applies to Gibraltar too where they have their own notes, where although the English pound is accepted it is not vice versa)

EXTRACT:

NORTHERN IRELAND ASSEMBLY
RESEARCH AND LIBRARY

SERVICES
BRIEFING NOTE 122/08
THE STATUS OF SCOTTISH AND NORTHERN IRISH BANKNOTES
The Bank of England provides the following answer to the question of whether or not Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are legal tender:

“In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

somebody
21st March 2009, 13:51
WoW thank you so much to all of you for this very nice information...

Fortunately I'm here in Dunfermline and near the high street too. :)

So i have to rush to the post office to change them to English notes? There are a number of RBS here too. Will they exchange it 1£ to a £ too?

They have to as there are the same currency just with a scot design.

As a shopkeeper my Wife asked if he would accept scotish pound note she ended up with. If it has sterling on it i'll take it:D