PDA

View Full Version : Residence Visa for Spain / Schengen Area

johncar54
10th April 2009, 12:51
Hi, has anyone heard of a ‘Residence Visa’ for Spain, or Schengen Area countries?

Until at least very recently, the visa issued by the Spanish Consulate (and I guess other Schengen Area Countries) was a 90 day 'C' type tourist visa.

A problem recently arose when a spouse travelling from Cebu to Spain was stopped by BI (Immigration Bureau) as she did not have a return ticket.

I have since been in touch with BI and they have sent me a copy of the regulations which show that holders of Tourist Visas MUST have a return ticket. This did not apply previously to spouses coming to Spain to join husbands. (My wife had a tourist visa and no problems).

Someone suggested that the Tourist Visa may he been replaced with a Residence Visa, but with the exception of a web page referring to Chicago, I cannot find any mention about such a change.

Does anyone have up to the minute info? I know the requirements for UK are different.

Thanks John

johncar54
14th April 2009, 15:48
No suggestions yet !

Come on guys I bet someone here knows !!!!!

keithAngel
15th April 2009, 02:30
The way it worked in Portugal and Germany was that you as an EEC national could apply for residence status an ID card for 5 years this is normaly attached to employment in so far as I saw it John, it depends where you are treated as a resident for fiscal purposes whats your status in Spain?:xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
15th April 2009, 09:32
KeithAngel, thanks but maybe I did not explain clearly.

I understand that the Spanish Consulate MAYBE issuing a new type of visa for the re-unification of families. Hitherto they issued a 90 day tourist visa.

However, I know of a recent instance where a Filipina wife was refused permission to fly from Cebu to Spain because she did not have a return ticket. Under Phil law when a Filipino has a tourist visa they MUST have a return ticket. (I jave an email from the Immigration Service)

I assume the immigration previously understood the difference between a normal tourist visa and one which had been issued in order that the person could apply for Residencia status.

A friend of ours is due to fly to Spain in early May. She is waiting for her visa to be issued, but we wanted to avoid any problem re the type of flight ticket which might result in immigration refusing permission to fly.

Thus, was asking if any knew for certain if there had been a change in the type of visa issued in the case of Schengen Area applications.

Thanks John