PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting

ANDRES25
22nd April 2009, 16:11
It's so depressing, I have been here for exactly 2 months now and still no luck in getting a job. I feel so useless because I am not contributing financially to my husband. He's paying all the bills alone and still trying to pay off credit card debts that he used to get me here. It's just so difficult if you can't drive and get nowhere. Unlike in the Philippines, if you have the address of the company, you can just take a taxi and directly go there or ride a bus, jeepney, tricycle or MRT/ LRT. So many forms of transportation but here, it's so hard!!! unless you can drive and have your own transportation. I have been learning how to drive, I used to learn twice a week but now,only doing once a week bcoz of financial constraint..To all Filipina wives here, I am just wondering how long did it take you before you got a job?

chris40
22nd April 2009, 17:00
my wife has been here since 1st of march, and has just got a cleaning job at a hotel . its an early start at 5.30am and only for 1.5 hrs but at least its getting her a work record here and she can get a better job in the future

Tonet
22nd April 2009, 17:16
I got my first job 2 days after i got my FLR. cleaning in hotel. Now i got a new job because that hotel was cutting back hours.
Its harder to find job nowadays because of credit crunch. But dont give up keep looking and you'll eventually get one. Just dont be too picky:)

adam&chryss
22nd April 2009, 17:36
It's so depressing, I have been here for exactly 2 months now and still no luck in getting a job. I feel so useless because I am not contributing financially to my husband. He's paying all the bills alone and still trying to pay off credit card debts that he used to get me here. It's just so difficult if you can't drive and get nowhere. Unlike in the Philippines, if you have the address of the company, you can just take a taxi and directly go there or ride a bus, jeepney, tricycle or MRT/ LRT. So many forms of transportation but here, it's so hard!!! unless you can drive and have your own transportation. I have been learning how to drive, I used to learn twice a week but now,only doing once a week bcoz of financial constraint..To all Filipina wives here, I am just wondering how long did it take you before you got a job?

Here you can get a taxi too!
Don`t feel useless, its not the holy land here. Its hard for everybody.
Dont set your sights too high and i`m sure you`ll be able to find something.
My wife,Chryss, hasnt looked for work yet as shes just given birth to our son so I cant answer that question.
Good luck and dont get disheartened!

Geraldine
22nd April 2009, 18:02
Dont worry just keep on looking and at times like these where its hard to get a job...dont be choosy, Im sure there are a few jobs out there..it might not be your liking but we need to sacrifice alittle until UK economy improves. Good luck!

joebloggs
22nd April 2009, 18:08
it took my misses more than 6 months to find a good job working in the nhs,

you can get a bus(es) to most places and you might be able to buy a monthly bus pass

use this to see if you can easily get a bus/train etc to where the job is..

http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm

just keep applying, bad time to be looking for a job now, but you'll find one soon :rolleyes:

kimmi
22nd April 2009, 18:13

sorry to hear that, oh well we really do have lots of adjustments..:NoNo::NoNo:

have u tried going to ur nearest job center?or searching thru ur local newspaper?sometimes they do post local jobs in there.

like some have said here, as long as ur choosy we're sure u can find a job.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Goodluck..

tiN
22nd April 2009, 22:45

Its really hard to get a job here, 5 months after i got my FLR thats when i started working.

Goodluck Andres:)

tiN
22nd April 2009, 22:46

have u tried going to ur nearest job center?or searching thru ur local newspaper?sometimes they do post local jobs in there.

like some have said here, as long as ur choosy we're sure u can find a job.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Goodluck..

you miss the word "not" sis :):D:D:D

ANDRES25
22nd April 2009, 22:56
Here you can get a taxi too!
Don`t feel useless, its not the holy land here. Its hard for everybody.
Dont set your sights too high and i`m sure you`ll be able to find something.
My wife,Chryss, hasnt looked for work yet as shes just given birth to our son so I cant answer that question.
Good luck and dont get disheartened!

Yes I'm sure you can get a taxi here in some places but not in my place. And even if there are taxis around won't be able to afford it anyway... Congrats to your son! Bet he's a cutie!

edelacruz
22nd April 2009, 22:59

it is hard finding a job this time :( ive just finished my maternity and been trying to get a job at the nhs but still no response from them. :( :( relying on the jsa and tax credits money are not enough! :S

ANDRES25
22nd April 2009, 23:00

Goodluck..

Thanks KIMMI, yes I always check JOB CENTRE plus online and always buy a paper on a wednesday becoz that's a job day here in Ipswich but no luck...

Arthur Little
22nd April 2009, 23:58
My wife has been here for more than 6 weeks now and, to be honest, at the moment I'm in no great hurry for her to find a job as we are both relishing that special feeling called TOGETHERNESS. But I daresay the day will come when needs must ... and all that. Is there really any truth in the saying "two can live as cheaply as one"? Or am I living in 'Cloud :Cuckoo: Land'?

pennybarry
23rd April 2009, 06:33

I didn't apply for a job when I arrived here for 2 months as hubby wants to join me in his truck to see the countryside from England to Scotland. After 2 months of sight seing, I started to apply a job. I was not choosy like others. I tried to knock the door of a Caravan site just walking distance to our home and I got the housekeeping job:xxgrinning--00xx3:. If there's small business close to your house, don't be ashame to ask if there's available job for you.

Mrs.JMajor
23rd April 2009, 08:43
My wife has been here for more than 6 weeks now and, to be honest, at the moment I'm in no great hurry for her to find a job as we are both relishing that special feeling called TOGETHERNESS. But I daresay the day will come when needs must ... and all that. Is there really any truth in the saying "two can live as cheaply as one"? Or am I living in 'Cloud :Cuckoo: Land'?

you funny little arthur :icon_lol::icon_lol:,I guess its the bore who kill us.....IMO

adam&chryss
23rd April 2009, 09:32
Thanks KIMMI, yes I always check JOB CENTRE plus online and always buy a paper on a wednesday becoz that's a job day here in Ipswich but no luck...

Ah good old Ipswich jobcentre. We were there on tuesday and hated every minute of it!
I guess you dont live in Ipswich though cos there are plenty of buses there taking you to all places.
I don`t know what your skills are but if I remember rightly, walk up to the centre of town from the jobcentre and there are a couple of agencies there.
I`ll get Chryss to PM you and maybe we could meet up us we arn`t far from you.

tiN
23rd April 2009, 11:07
you funny little arthur :icon_lol::icon_lol:,I guess its the bore who kill us.....IMO

Thanks ate Juliet..:D:):)

porky
23rd April 2009, 14:22
What about offering your services free for a couple weeks so you can prove your skills or try internet shop on ebay

Tawi2
23rd April 2009, 14:45
Give it time Andres,I know a lady living in Oxford,she has been in UK a year,when she first came she was bored as her husband worked night and slept days,now she has three jobs,kadiyot lang na siya:xxgrinning--00xx3:

islander
23rd April 2009, 15:06

I know you how you feel, I think all filipina wives have experienced that... Fortunately, I have finally got my job after 1 1/2 months since my arrival.

Just don't lose hope, continue hunting for jobs, for sure you'll soon find one which suits you best.

Good Luck!

ANDRES25
23rd April 2009, 15:34
I didn't apply for a job when I arrived here for 2 months as hubby wants to join me in his truck to see the countryside from England to Scotland. After 2 months of sight seing, I started to apply a job. I was not choosy like others. I tried to knock the door of a Caravan site just walking distance to our home and I got the housekeeping job:xxgrinning--00xx3:. If there's small business close to your house, don't be ashame to ask if there's available job for you.

Hi Penny,
Thanks for the words of encouragement, that's one thing I haven't done yet. Knocking on doors and going to shops, I've been meaning to do that for the past weeks but just didn't have the courage to do so. Guess it's about time I go knocking and asking for vacancies just like u did... I don't know but it feels like I've lost all the confidence I used to have when I got here...

ANDRES25
23rd April 2009, 15:39
Ah good old Ipswich jobcentre. We were there on tuesday and hated every minute of it!
I guess you dont live in Ipswich though cos there are plenty of buses there taking you to all places.
I don`t know what your skills are but if I remember rightly, walk up to the centre of town from the jobcentre and there are a couple of agencies there.
I`ll get Chryss to PM you and maybe we could meet up us we arn`t far from you.

I live in Claydon Ipswich, yes I've been there too, I also hated it there, it's useless, so I just check jobcentreplus online everyday. Yes would be nice to meet up sometime.

sarahlee
24th April 2009, 19:36

dont be depressed coz its credit crunch at this time,its really hard to find a job even my husband he is english man but almost three months had no job,but me i had my job after two months i arrived here as a kitchen assistant in home, through the help of my husband tooxxxxxxx

porky
26th April 2009, 17:40
stay positive,if you are eager to work you will get a job eventually,I know there is many who dont want to work,just stay home and claim the state and intentionally fail interviews.
Take time to prepare good CV,there is many sites for example http://www.officechat.co.uk/jobhunting/jobcvcreating.htm

somebody
26th April 2009, 17:49
Hi Penny,
Thanks for the words of encouragement, that's one thing I haven't done yet. Knocking on doors and going to shops, I've been meaning to do that for the past weeks but just didn't have the courage to do so. Guess it's about time I go knocking and asking for vacancies just like u did... I don't know but it feels like I've lost all the confidence I used to have when I got here...

Thats how My Wife got her first Job walking around Local town Centre with CV with a basic cover letter.

Also make sure you know what Hours days you can work. Practise basic interview questions. If you need help on this ask on here, we will all help you:)

NotYou
26th April 2009, 19:47
Blimey, my wife never wanted a job, or looked for one. Why should she? I kept her in handbags and shoes. The faster she spent it the quicker she'd get more (well that was her theory).

My first post and it's a gem!

porky
26th April 2009, 20:04
lol thats like my x too
but it esculated, the last thing i bought her was new car,now i no money and she got the house hehehe

NotYou
26th April 2009, 20:18
Looking forward to stop the racial stereotyping here!

Before I got married my Mum thought all Filipinas were loving, hardworking, good mothers, grateful, simple souls.

What a shock for her! My dear wife, laziest person I ever met!

Mrs.JMajor
26th April 2009, 20:26

Before I got married my Mum thought all Filipinas were loving, hardworking, good mothers, grateful, simple souls.

Watch out your words,would you kind enough to introduce yourself :NoNo: follow your post,you didnt go for first step,introduce yourself section
So why you didnt know her first then before marry her :NoNo:

Jay&Zobel
26th April 2009, 20:50
stay positive,if you are eager to work you will get a job eventually,I know there is many who dont want to work,just stay home and claim the state and intentionally fail interviews.
Take time to prepare good CV,there is many sites for example http://www.officechat.co.uk/jobhunting/jobcvcreating.htm

LINKS AND NEWBIES...:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

tiger@tigress
26th April 2009, 20:55

It took me four months after i got my FLR... Don't loose hope you will get the perfect job for you soon....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ANDRES25
26th April 2009, 20:59

I guess that's your fault, you didn't take time to carefully know your wife before you married her and guess you've spoilt her.

ANDRES25
26th April 2009, 21:01
thats how my wife got her first job walking around local town centre with cv with a basic cover letter.

Also make sure you know what hours days you can work. Practise basic interview questions. If you need help on this ask on here, we will all help you:)

thanks somebody!!!

NotYou
28th April 2009, 15:53
So sorry I did not introduce myself, I think the little panel in the top right of the post says most of what needs to be said. Wrong forum? I do apologise.

It's clear now, it's my fault my dear wife is lazy. I wonder if it would be her fault if I were more understanding and sympathetic? Spoil her or endure a month of silence, tantrums, accusations and eventually outright lies. Now let me consider which course should I choose...

Now, why did I marry her? Well perhaps she spun me such a magnificent yarn, invested some time in playing me like a fish and I fell for it. Sucker. "Courting" is one thing, once hooked the mask slips and all is revealed over a period of time. Joy.

I enjoy with wry amusement some of the posts on this forum that automatically confer deity status on filipinas, by simple virtue of where they were born.

And before you guess and/or comment, we are actually content with our married lives (she gets to travel around the world and I get someone to irritate me) we now tend to accept each other's outrageous shortcomings. Mine, of course, are considerably worse than hers, as I am British after all.

adam&chryss
28th April 2009, 17:42
Oh dear,are you implying bad things about Filipinas or The Philippines?
tut tut!
Don`t you know its only ok to say bad things about the UK?
A country that most of us live in or have spent a great deal of time/money to come to.
Seems to me like your a breath of reality :xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
28th April 2009, 17:47

I can only speak as I find and in my experience most Filipina's who come here can't wait to find a job and start work. That certainly was the case with my wife even though she had no need to financially.
Iain.

NotYou
28th April 2009, 17:57
Thank you Adam&Chryss,

A balanced view. Let's hear it for reality, I can get fantasy elsewhere.

I love visiting the Philippines, been there so many times. My kids love it too. They know Malate better than their "home" town. I love it when filipinos try to scam me in Manila. Hilariously inept, comically old scams. "I am working at your hotel, sir." "Really, I am staying at my Aunt's house." "My sister is going to be a nurse in the UK near your town, could you come home and let her practise English?" "What's the name of the hospital?" "Er, er Queen Elizabeth's" Good try, as I walk off laughing my socks off. My favourite ever, "Would you like to hire my cock, sir?" Obviously referring to cock-fighting, but still quite funny for a simple soul like me. Looking forward to my next visit (as long as this flu thing doesn't stop international travel!)

Ann07
28th April 2009, 18:10
I can only speak as I find and in my experience most Filipina's who come here can't wait to find a job and start work. That certainly was the case with my wife even though she had no need to financially.
Iain.

Most of my filipina friends here as well cant wait to find a job too:)
In my case while waiting for my flr i started sending cv to different comapanies etc... when i got my flr few weeks after i landed a job:)

Goodluck to your job hunting:)

lizaphil
28th April 2009, 18:14
Watch out your words,would you kind enough to introduce yourself :NoNo: follow your post,you didnt go for first step,introduce yourself section
So why you didnt know her first then before marry her :NoNo:

yes you are right mrs.JMAJOR,not all filipina are Lizzy, i have two kind of job at the moment and i am injoyed it.

lizaphil
28th April 2009, 18:20

not all filipina is lazzy have two job at the moment,and i am injoy it,:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

NotYou
28th April 2009, 19:18
So lucky, my dear wife sometimes talks about getting a job. Talk no action. I sometimes tell her that if she gets a job I will look forward to her giving me money to spend on shoes and manbags. She soon forgets about job hunting. Hehe.

Sophie
28th April 2009, 19:30
[QUOTE=NotYou;131454]I sometimes tell her that if she gets a job I will look forward to her giving me money to spend on shoes and manbags.

You wish :D:icon_lol: Not in this lifetime :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

NotYou
28th April 2009, 19:39
Oh dear do I expect too much? After keeping her in shoes and handbags for so long is it unfair to ask her to do the same for me? So inconsiderate.

Sophie
28th April 2009, 19:45
Oh dear do I expect too much? After keeping her in shoes and handbags for so long is it unfair to ask her to do the same for me? So inconsiderate.

Maybe if she starts earning money on her own, then you won't have to buy her shoes and handbags anymore, coz she sure can afford to buy those herself already. isn't that a relief? :icon_lol::D Fair enough? :D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

NotYou
28th April 2009, 20:04
A relief indeed. But of course I just adore giving her money to spend on shoes and handbags so she can keep them in the wardrobe and never wear/use. Really worthwhile.

Ann07
28th April 2009, 20:06
A relief indeed. But of course I just adore giving her money to spend on shoes and handbags so she can keep them in the wardrobe and never wear/use. Really worthwhile.

investment????:icon_lol::omg::omg::icon_lol:

NotYou
28th April 2009, 20:11
Great investment, selling secondhand shoes, out of fashion. The handbags though, the queen of all is the Louis V. Apparently that is appreciating in value.

Mr Moderator I want to access my profile, how long to have to be a newbie?

I've got to confess I lied about my age, I am not 44 I am 45.:ARsurrender: Does that make me a bad British man? I've not been feeling myself tonight.

Sophie
28th April 2009, 20:11

Oh what a waste :NoNo: Don't give her something she will just bury in the wardrobe :D:)

NotYou
28th April 2009, 20:20
May I refer the forum to the Savoy Havana Band (1924) - I'm Gonna Bring A Watermelon To My Girl Tonight

When I brought an apple she let me hold her hand
When I brought an orange we kissed beneath the band
When I brought bananas she hugged me all her might
I'm gonna bring a watermelon to my girl tonight

Sophie I like Poole, Sandbanks Hotel (been there 3 times). Okay hotel, nice location.

Now about that job....Looking for one myself actually...

Sophie
28th April 2009, 21:23
Sophie I like Poole, Sandbanks Hotel (been there 3 times). Okay hotel, nice location.

Yep, sandbanks is really nice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Now about that job....Looking for one myself actually...

Well, goodluck in your job search. I'm just about to look one myself :):)