PDA

View Full Version : How Come ...

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 01:54
... faded statesmen like our erstwhile Prime Minister can justify collecting a £200,000 fee for simply agreeing to give a 30-minute talk to university students in Manila? But not content with THAT, he then went on to address a delegation of business people and pocketed a further two hundred grand. Not bad for a day's "work" ... !! And all this paid for from the coffers of a nation - rich in natural resources, yet struggling to survive economically [witness the number of citizens and their *children ... *some barely of school age, and *others whose parents cannot afford the "luxury" of having them attend classes ... begging in city streets] - where political corruption is rife.

:furious3: It makes my 'blood boil'! What I cannot accept is, WHY - given the level of poverty that exists in countries like the Philippines - couldn't Tony Blair have 'done the decent thing' and waived these payments???

aromulus
24th April 2009, 06:10

:furious3: It makes my 'blood boil'! What I cannot accept is, WHY - given the level of poverty that exists in countries like the Philippines - couldn't Tony Blair have 'done the decent thing' and waived these payments???

Are you kidding...?:Erm:

And then, where would "brand" Blair be...??:NoNo:

joebloggs
24th April 2009, 06:26
he's got big mortgages to pay off :D

don't you recall from a few years ago, the papers were asking how he could afford the houses he bought on his wage :rolleyes:

bornatbirth
24th April 2009, 09:44
he's got big mortgages to pay off :D

don't you recall from a few years ago, the papers were asking how he could afford the houses he bought on his wage :rolleyes:

but is wife can,so can he now :icon_lol:

but all these people cash in somehow,as for poverty look around the world in blairs world it doesnt exist even going to manila he will never see what its really like there.

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 12:44
but is wife can,so can he now :icon_lol:

but all these people cash in somehow,as for poverty look around the world in blairs world it doesnt exist even going to manila he will never see what its really like there.

S'pose you're right. Could hardly expect Cherie and Tony to adopt the moral stance and visit the impoverished parts!! :NoNo:

Tawi2
24th April 2009, 12:47
I am sure if Gordy Brown follows in Blaires footsteps a few years hence he will justify his fee of 200,000(pesos) :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 12:52
I am sure if Gordy Brown follows in Blaires footsteps a few years hence he will justify his fee of 200,000(pesos) :icon_lol:

:Erm: Perhaps ... but what about inflation?

Tawi2
24th April 2009, 12:59
Under Gordy we are more liekly to have deflation :omg:

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 13:00
:Erm: Perhaps ... but what about inflation?

On second thoughts ... the way our OWN economy is heading right now, 200,000 PESOS might be worth more than the corresponding amount in pounds sterling by then!! :doh

Arthur Little
24th April 2009, 13:03
Under Gordy we are more liekly to have deflation :omg:

Very true!!

aromulus
24th April 2009, 17:45
I don't think that paying 50 pence in the pound, higher bracket tax, will apply to Tony and co.:cwm23: