PDA

View Full Version : what documents for civil marriage in Phils?

pacificelectric
28th April 2009, 06:19
Hi,

Can someone tell me what are the documents a foreigner needs to provide for a civil marriage in the Phils? I was wondering in particular if they would need a certificate of baptism, even if the state and church are separated? I am divorced and I was wondering if they needed something specific about it?

And a bit more tricky, when you have some documentation in a foreign language (French) do you need to have them translated in your country of origin or in the Phils??

Thanks for your input!

aromulus
28th April 2009, 07:53
Hi,

Can someone tell me what are the documents a foreigner needs to provide for a civil marriage in the Phils? I was wondering in particular if they would need a certificate of baptism, even if the state and church are separated? I am divorced and I was wondering if they needed something specific about it?

And a bit more tricky, when you have some documentation in a foreign language (French) do you need to have them translated in your country of origin or in the Phils??

Thanks for your input!

A translation to English for all documents is necessary, and if you can get it done in France it may work to your advantage, as you will make sure that all paper work is present and correct, before departure.

Happy days.

sysop
28th April 2009, 08:37
I used my certificate of baptism. I just went to my church and asked for an english version and he printed one out.

You'll also need divorce papers and as aromulus say, all papers need to be translated to english.

Florge
28th April 2009, 09:33
First of all, foreigners who wish to marry in the Philippines are required to obtain a certificate of legal capacity to marry issued by diplomatic or consular representatives of their country. This is in accordance with the first paragraph of Article 21 of the Family Code of the Philippines, which states:

“When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.”

So, a UK citizen wishing to marry in the Philippines, must appear personally before a consular officer, at the UK Embassy in Manila and procure a certificate of legal capacity to marry. Once the certificate has been received, the application for a marriage license can be made at the office of the local Philippine Civil Registrar of the town or city where the Filipino fiancee is a resident. The foreigner will need to present the certificate, passport, and documentation regarding parental consent or advice if applicable. There is also a need to present a divorce decree if the foreigner has been previously married and a death certificate if a widow or widower.

For the Filipino applicant the following shall be needed for purposes of the marriage license application:

1. Birth Certificate or Baptismal Certificate. If widow or widower Death Certificate of late spouse (certified true copy).
2. Community Tax Certificate
3. ID picture of both applicants
4. Certificate of Family Planning and Marriage Counselling (the couple are required to attend a Counselling Seminar before the certificate is issued).

Marriage applicants who are aged 18 to 21 must have parental consent in writing, those aged 21 to 25 must have written parental advice (a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple’s intent to marry). There is a ten-day waiting period before the marriage license is issued by the registrar’s office. This period is prescribed by law to inform the public about the pending license application and to give the local civil registrar an opportunity to entertain any objections to the upcoming marriage.

The marriage license, once issued, is valid in any part of the Philippines for 120 days. If it has not been used during this 120-day period it will then automatically expire.

The marriage ceremony must be solemnized by an individual with the legal authority to perform such a ceremony. Among these are a priest, imam, or any incumbent member of the judiciary within the court’sjurisdiction (See Article 7 of the Family Code of the Philippines). Upon the completion of the ceremony all participants (the presiding official, the witnesses, and the husband and wife) must sign the marriage certificate.

Following the signing of the marriage certificate by all parties involved, the marriage certificate must be sent to the city hall or the municipality in which the Philippine national habitually resides. It will then be registered by the local civil register. You can get certified true copies of the marriage contract from the local civil registrar or the National Statistics Office.

DaveUK
28th April 2009, 12:50
While waiting for the marriage license to be issued, do both parties need to be around to pick up the marriage license once it is granted? ie if I was to apply for the marriage license when i visit the Phils in June, but left before the 10 days had passed, would my other half be able to pick it up?

IainBusby
28th April 2009, 13:29
While waiting for the marriage license to be issued, do both parties need to be around to pick up the marriage license once it is granted? ie if I was to apply for the marriage license when i visit the Phils in June, but left before the 10 days had passed, would my other half be able to pick it up?

Hi Simon,
I have just checked online and the marriage licence in the Philippines, once issued, is only valid for 120 days for from the date of issue. If your going to get a CNI to get the marriage licence when you visit in June and the marriage licence expires before the new year, then you would probably have to get another CNI because the CNI is only valid for 3 months.

Iain.

DaveUK
28th April 2009, 13:33
Hi Simon,
I have just checked online and the marriage licence in the Philippines, once issued, is only valid for 120 days for from the date of issue. If your going to get a CNI to get the marriage licence when you visit in June and the marriage licence expires before the new year, then you would probably have to get another CNI because the CNI is only valid for 3 months.

Iain.

Aye. Reason I was asking about whether I had to be there was if I don't, we could always apply just before I leave which means we'd have until January 10th or thereabouts to get married. As we are planning on New Year's Day, that should see us.

As it stands though, I've just done the numbers, and I just miss out on having enough time to get the certificate from the UK before I leave. On the off-chance it's slightly less time in the IOM, I'm trying to get hold of the registrar here to check. Not holding my breath though!

IainBusby
28th April 2009, 13:45
Aye. Reason I was asking about whether I had to be there was if I don't, we could always apply just before I leave which means we'd have until January 10th or thereabouts to get married. As we are planning on New Year's Day, that should see us.

As it stands though, I've just done the numbers, and I just miss out on having enough time to get the certificate from the UK before I leave. On the off-chance it's slightly less time in the IOM, I'm trying to get hold of the registrar here to check. Not holding my breath though!

Your cutting it a bit fine even if they do issue the CNI sooner there in IOM, I had to wait three and a half weeks just for an appointment and nearly missed out on getting mine in time.

DaveUK
28th April 2009, 13:48
Your cutting it a bit fine even if they do issue the CNI sooner there in IOM, I had to wait three and a half weeks just for an appointment and nearly missed out on getting mine in time.

Can't imagine the IOM is that busy! But then the office is properly only managed by one person once a month or something! :)

Trying to get through now on the phone, but of course it's lunchtime so no-one's answering!

DaveUK
28th April 2009, 14:20
Just got through to the registrar on the island. Seems like it only takes 3 days to get the certificate! Now just need to track down my birth certificate or get one asap so I can apply at the registrar here!

So does anyone know if as well as being there to make the application for the marriage license in Phils, do I have to be there to pick it up as well once it's granted?

sysop
28th April 2009, 16:13
So does anyone know if as well as being there to make the application for the marriage license in Phils, do I have to be there to pick it up as well once it's granted?

Don't know what their rules are (law & rules in the phil seem to be random sometimes :Erm:), but my wife picked up the marriage certificate herself, as I had to fly back the day before. So don't think that's a problem.

Mrs.JMajor
28th April 2009, 16:16
Dont ever ever dare to forget the CNI

DaveUK
28th April 2009, 17:20
Don't know what their rules are (law & rules in the phil seem to be random sometimes :Erm:), but my wife picked up the marriage certificate herself, as I had to fly back the day before. So don't think that's a problem.

Cool. Cheers fella. Think I'll get the missus to pop into the registrar and confirm with them herself to make doubly sure.

Bit scared at the minute though. Just went looking for my birth certificate after not seeing it for over 11 years, and I found it where I expected! That NEVER happens!! :yikes:

trader dave
28th April 2009, 18:09
have just got my certificate of no impediment it was quite painless had to wait intill i got my decree absolute first :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i phoned registry office the lady said you can have an oppointment in 6 weeks time:omg::omg::omg: cant i get one before then i asked :Erm::Erm: she said ok 11 am tomorrow :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: fantastic i had to take --------

passport

birth certiicate

decree absolute [not nisi]

proof of address utility bill ect

and the fee of £30.00

also my fiancee name address dob and the town name where we intend to get married

so i just went she just checked all the documents paid the £30.00 and she said it will be with me after the 21 days in arrived in 23 days job done:xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
28th April 2009, 18:54
have just got my certificate of no impediment it was quite painless had to wait intill i got my decree absolute first :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i phoned registry office the lady said you can have an oppointment in 6 weeks time:omg::omg::omg: cant i get one before then i asked :Erm::Erm: she said ok 11 am tomorrow :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: fantastic i had to take --------

passport

birth certiicate

decree absolute [not nisi]

proof of address utility bill ect

and the fee of £30.00

also my fiancee name address dob and the town name where we intend to get married

so i just went she just checked all the documents paid the £30.00 and she said it will be with me after the 21 days in arrived in 23 days job done:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I nearly got caught out with some of the information they asked for and that was one of them. I did of course have her address, but at home. They also asked for her father's full name and the actual place where we would marry.
Luckily I managed to get through to my other half on the phone while I was in the registry office and get the information I needed.
Iain.

DaveUK
28th April 2009, 22:38
Thanks for detailing what they needed trader dave. When I spoke to the guy at the registrar, he just mentioned my birth certificate and passport. Didn't mention any other information I may need! Better make sure I have it now! :)