PDA

View Full Version : Joanna Lumley

KeithD
21st May 2009, 13:58
Well done girl :Hellooo: A woman with balls :omg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8060607.stm

Hope she stands for election, and Ester Rantzen, and any other celebrity, as you'll all win :D .....including Freddie Star as Minister for Alcohol :cwm24:

aromulus
21st May 2009, 18:56
Well done girl :Hellooo: A woman with balls :omg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8060607.stm

Hope she stands for election, and Ester Rantzen, and any other celebrity, as you'll all win :D .....including Freddie Star as Minister for Alcohol :cwm24:

Seen his love for maggots and hamsters, I would have thought he'd be better suited to Fisheries and Wildlife.....:icon_lol:

lordfortesque
21st May 2009, 21:02
she is a great lady

Fitzy
30th May 2009, 22:59
Yep!!

I second that motion!!

These people served Queen, and Country, and deserve nothing less.

Well done Joanna.

I liked her in Sapphire, and steel, my childhood babe:D

joebloggs
30th May 2009, 23:27
but their all jumping on the band wagon :doh

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/David-Van-Day-Former-Dollar-Singer-And-Im-A-Celebrity-Star-May-Stand-As-MP-Against-Nadine-Dorries/Article/200905415288327?lpos=Politics_Article_Related_Content_Region_9&lid=ARTICLE_15288327_David_Van_Day%2C_Former_Dollar_Singer_And_Im_A_Celebrity_Star%2C_May_Stand_As_MP_Against_Nadine_Dorries

:NoNo: :ARsurrender:

future=dreams
31st May 2009, 04:18
Has to be Billy Connelly with John Cleese as foreighn secretary

Fitzy
31st May 2009, 06:08
Has to be Billy Connelly with John Cleese as foreighn secretary

Not the Minister of silly walks??:D:D

Sim11UK
31st May 2009, 08:19
Not the Minister of silly walks??:D:D

John Cleese...was just thinking the same thing :D

Fitzy
31st May 2009, 08:33
John Cleese...was just thinking the same thing :D
:D:D:D:D:D

Prefer the meaning of life, and how can we forget The life Of Brian:D:D:D:D

KeithD
31st May 2009, 08:37
but their all jumping on the band wagon
Look at most other countries, USA, Philippines, India, etc, all got TV/Film people running the country at one time or another, Italy is run by the guy who own the TV!!! At least these people have real life experience, and that is what we need in politics, regardless of who they are.

Freddie Starr can be Chancellor, with his secretary Ken Dodd. That'll sort the taxes, and beer prices out :icon_lol:

We are going to have more independents than ever in the next election, and it would be nice to see a 'Common Sense' party emerge.

Fitzy
31st May 2009, 08:47
Look at most other countries, USA, Philippines, India, etc, all got TV/Film people running the country at one time or another, Italy is run by the guy who own the TV!!! At least these people have real life experience, and that is what we need in politics, regardless of who they are.

Freddie Starr can be Chancellor, with his secretary Ken Dodd. That'll sort the taxes, and beer prices out :icon_lol:

We are going to have more independents than ever in the next election, and it would be nice to see a 'Common Sense' party emerge.

What about the Diddy men??
Pls don't forget them:D:D:D:D:D
They deserve a part in it too:Hellooo:

aromulus
31st May 2009, 08:49

From poachers to gamekeepers......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yup......:icon_lol:

johncar54
31st May 2009, 09:29
The problem of electing someone unknown or unknown in the field of politics is what will they do and what is their past?

Esther R, some years ago came to Spain to promote Save the Children. I was told by a journalist that she was charging a fee of £50 per interview of which she was honest enough to say £10 would go the charity and she would get £20. So who is squeaky clean?

Other well known British celebrities also come to Spain to appear 'for free' on fund raising events. Many assume they are giving their services for free. However, most, maybe all, get at least business class travel, a good hotel, entertainment and expenses. These 'charges' never seem to appear in any financial reports when the organisers claim how much has been raised. Maybe I am wrong in hoping that most people do kind things for free!

KeithD
31st May 2009, 09:54
The problem of electing someone unknown or unknown in the field of politics is what will they do and what is their past?

And of course we know everything about our MP's before we elect them!!! And they have the best experience on running the country than anyone!! :doh

Esther R, some years ago came to Spain to promote Save the Children. I was told by a journalist that she was charging a fee of £50 per interview of which she was honest enough to say £10 would go the charity and she would get £20. So who is squeaky clean?

Other well known British celebrities also come to Spain to appear 'for free' on fund raising events. Many assume they are giving their services for free. However, most, maybe all, get at least business class travel, a good hotel, entertainment and expenses. These 'charges' never seem to appear in any financial reports when the organisers claim how much has been raised. Maybe I am wrong in hoping that most people do kind things for free!
I don't see anything wrong with this, you can't expect them to do something for 'free' and end up paying out of their own pocket, as I have done for many years with this forum.

johncar54
31st May 2009, 10:04
I don't see anything wrong with this, you can't expect them to do something for 'free' and end up paying out of their own pocket, as I have done for many years with this forum.

Guess I am naive: For over 15 years I have been giving my time free as a voluntary translator assisting people who cannot speak Spanish when they go the police station. When I had 80 volunteers whom I had recruited, trained and then supported, it cost me a quite a bit but I saw it as a voluntary service which I was providing. I even refused the odd offer of a drink and said give it to a person who really needs it.

The same as when my (first) wife was involved with a local charity in UK raising money for mentally handicapped kids, we not only took no expenses, but paid to attend the functions we organised and, after a couple of the committee had won on the raffle we used to take out the counterfoil when we bought tickets so that we could not win and leave some people thinking maybe we we on the fiddle,

But as I said, I guess I am naive! (And I guess you are more public spirited than you may like sometimes to appear!!!)

KeithD
31st May 2009, 10:23
If you are doing voluntary work for a charity, etc, it should not cost you anything, if you are doing it for a church, etc, then any expenses would have to come out of your own pocket. (Unless you put 50p in the collection plate & take £1 out :rolleyes:)