PDA

View Full Version : Now Married

kiwiflyer57
2nd June 2009, 12:27
There are so many people in this forum that have so much more experience than I, that I thought I would ask a couple of questions on the rules in the UK.

I am now married to my Filipino wife.

In fact, we found it so very simple to get married in New Zealand while we were there.

Now we are going back to England again, my wife has already been 4 times before we got married.

I am retired and have a Pension,
Does anyone know if I can now claim for my wife as well even though she is a Filipino?

Also, will I be able to get her sighned up with my Doctor for free Subscriptions?

I do not normally ask for all the free stuff, but I worked 7 days a week (not all the time) until I got to 73, so think I should be entitled to a few free things as I have paid such a lot into the system

Even at 73, I am still fit and hardly ever visit my doctor, still fly an aeroplane and walk 30 minutes a day and even go Paragliding and sailing.

What beats me, when I read the posts in this forum is everyone seems to have such a hard time going through all the ever increasing complications and form filling just to get a simple visa.

When the truth is, that nearly all Filipinos, are well known to be so hard working, friendly, and an asset to any country they go to.

A lot of the guys in here are retired like me, have worked hard and paid taxes all their working lives.
All we are asking is that we can take our partners into the country that we were born in, without all the hassle these pen pushers are giving us.

What happened to OUR human rights,

Thanks..

John

IainBusby
2nd June 2009, 15:06
There are so many people in this forum that have so much more experience than I, that I thought I would ask a couple of questions on the rules in the UK.

In fact, we found it so very simple to get married in New Zealand while we were there.

Now we are going back to England again, my wife has already been 4 times before we got married.

Does anyone know if I can now claim for my wife as well even though she is a Filipino?

Also, will I be able to get her sighned up with my Doctor for free Subscriptions?

I do not normally ask for all the free stuff, but I worked 7 days a week (not all the time) until I got to 73, so think I should be entitled to a few free things as I have paid such a lot into the system

Even at 73, I am still fit and hardly ever visit my doctor, still fly an aeroplane and walk 30 minutes a day and even go Paragliding and sailing.

What beats me, when I read the posts in this forum is everyone seems to have such a hard time going through all the ever increasing complications and form filling just to get a simple visa.

When the truth is, that nearly all Filipinos, are well known to be so hard working, friendly, and an asset to any country they go to.

A lot of the guys in here are retired like me, have worked hard and paid taxes all their working lives.
All we are asking is that we can take our partners into the country that we were born in, without all the hassle these pen pushers are giving us.

Thanks..

John

Hi John,
Congratulations to both your new wife and yourself on getting hitched. With regard to your questions, no you won't be able to claim anything with regard to your wife, in fact you will have to prove that you can support her financially and house her adequately just to qualifly for a settlement visa, but as long as she holds a settlement visa you will be able to register her with a doctor and she will be eligible for free healthcare and free prescriptions.

Cheers,
Iain.

eagles
2nd June 2009, 15:06
Congrats... Enjoy the wedded bliss.........

kiwiflyer57
2nd June 2009, 15:32
Hi John,
Congratulations to both your new wife and yourself on getting hitched. With regard to your questions, no you won't be able to claim anything with regard to your wife, in fact you will have to prove that you can support her financially and house her adequately just to qualifly for a settlement visa, but as long as she holds a settlement visa you will be able to register her with a doctor and she will be eligible for free healthcare and free prescriptions.

Cheers,
Iain.

Many thanks Ian,

At this moment in time we did not request a settlement visa as it takes too long, maybe we an apply for one when we get back to UK.

Thanks again.
John

Arthur Little
2nd June 2009, 17:58
she will be eligible for free healthcare and free prescriptions.

Free healthcare ... :xxgrinning--00xx3: YES, Iain ... but free prescriptions? ... I guess that will depend on whether or not she's already 60 years of age or older.:rolleyes:

aug06_2006
2nd June 2009, 22:00
Congrats!

Tawi2
2nd June 2009, 22:11
Kiwi,I hope I have as much kick as you if I reach your age,its my ambition to get my PPL,good man :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs.JMajor
2nd June 2009, 22:29
Hi, belated congratz, thanks for the nice words for us filipinos

kiwiflyer57
3rd June 2009, 02:36
Kiwi,I hope I have as much kick as you if I reach your age,its my ambition to get my PPL,good man :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2

Thanks.

I found it far too expensive in England, so went to New Zealand, where it only costs about £35 for dual instruction including the Instructor !!!

So you could have a great holiday and learn to fly at the same time, for less money.

John :BouncyHappy:

kiwiflyer57
3rd June 2009, 03:04
Hi, belated congratz, thanks for the nice words for us filipinos

Mrs.J Major

Hi Mrs M,

You are most welcome.

We recently did a 3 day tour in Cebu on a special promotion organised by the Governer herself, called Suroy Suroy

She gives her time freely to help to promote all her local towns and Barangays.

Not only is she such a lovely charming lady; everywhere we went, the people in every single town were so genuine and really pleased to welcome us visitors.

Right from the Mayor to the delightful school children, everyone was so happy and gave their time and their hospitality with love.

I have never seen this kind of welcome and warmth in any other country.

So, very happy to be here.:ARsurrender:

IainBusby
3rd June 2009, 14:48
Free healthcare ... :xxgrinning--00xx3: YES, Iain ... but free prescriptions? ... I guess that will depend on whether or not she's already 60 years of age or older.:rolleyes:

I stand corrected, subsidised prescriptions.

IainBusby
3rd June 2009, 14:50
Many thanks Ian,

At this moment in time we did not request a settlement visa as it takes too long, maybe we an apply for one when we get back to UK.

Thanks again.
John

I take it from what you have said that your wife already has some sort of a visa to enter the UK, can I enquire what type of visa she holds? The reason I ask is that in some circumstances she might have to return to the Philippines and apply for a settlement vias there.
Iain.

kiwiflyer57
3rd June 2009, 15:24
I take it from what you have said that your wife already has some sort of a visa to enter the UK, can I enquire what type of visa she holds? The reason I ask is that in some circumstances she might have to return to the Philippines and apply for a settlement vias there.
Iain.

Hi Ian,,

Emilie has already been to England 4 times before we were recently married.

She came in with a visitor's visa, which gave her a maximum 6 months stay.

We got married in New Zealand a few weeks ago, then returned to Manila.

As soon as we arrived we started getting the papers ready for her uk visa.

It would take far too long to get her passport changed from her previous
name, so we are just using her old passport and will renew it when we return to Manila in September.

Even to get a partner or wife's visa, I imagine would take months plus all the paperwork, so it seemed easier to just apply for a visitors visa.

As she is 60, do you think she could still get free prescriptions in England or will she have to get a settlement visa first?

Thanks.

john

Sim11UK
3rd June 2009, 15:34
I'm a little bit confused about your visa situation? :Erm:

So your wife only has a visitor visa?...If you both plan to live in the UK, she will need a spouse visa.

As for presciptions, I wouldn't have thought she would be elegible, until you had the proper visa....I might be wrong?

Before I forget, congratulations! to you both. :)

IainBusby
3rd June 2009, 22:32
I don't think she will be eligible for free healthcare on a visit visa as far as I am aware. I thought that vistors were supposed to have medical insurance to cover their stay in the UK, whereas wives or fiancees who hold settlement visas do qualify for free healthcare.
Iain.

Mrs.JMajor
3rd June 2009, 23:37
And even you will get visit visa you will still to prepare the documents as well its the same thing, still you'll gonna spend time to gather documents for her v.v. so if I were you, have bit of patience, apply spouse visa instead

If you have the MC original, evidence of living together I dont think you will take months to prepare, Good luck

kiwiflyer57
4th June 2009, 01:21
Many thanks to everyone for your answers.

I'm afraid we are not planning to SETTLE in England any more, it is not the same country that I was brought up in.
Well the country is still great, but the people that run it are useless.
We will be far better off living in the Philippines or may be New Zealand.

Only reason I asked about free prescriptions was , I have been paying in to the system for 55 years, so thought it was time to get some back if it was available.

Asylum seekers get everything for nothing !!

Anyway, no problems we will only be there for a few months and going back and fore now is getting very expensive.

Thanks.

John

kiwiflyer57
5th June 2009, 08:21
I'm a little bit confused about your visa situation? :Erm:

So your wife only has a visitor visa?...If you both plan to live in the UK, she will need a spouse visa.

As for presciptions, I wouldn't have thought she would be elegible, until you had the proper visa....I might be wrong?

Before I forget, congratulations! to you both. :)

Many thanks Sim11

We got the new 6 month visa today< so no problems,

We can now stay till about October< then come back to Manila when we will have more time to change Emilie's passport etc.

As we don't need to work in the UK anymore we can spend a ot more time in the Philippines
However not too good at the moment as we have a typhoon running through and a bit wet !!!

istranghero3000
5th June 2009, 16:29
Congratulation John!!!!
Welcome to the Country of England.

Well as long as you can satisfy them that you can support your wife
without help from public funds i can assure you that she might get spouse visa, then where you can register her to GP, if she grant a visa when you come over here england, and get all the Priviledge that you get from NHS.exactly the same as yours as long as she is your spouse.

your case is slightly different. cause you get marreid in New Zealand and that is take time to process for your M.C.

All you need to do first for your M.C. need to be registered with NSO from phil. since you get married abroad that will take time unless you get married in embassy in N.Z. where they process M.C. straight away, then if not if you get married on church in N.Z. or attorneys Office and you hold a copy of you M. C. then register it to the embassy of N.Z. so they can forward relevant governing bodies like NSO so thats gona resolve the problem with M.C.

then there is another more might be a problem when you applying the spouse visa since you are retired! how you gona support her here in england unless you got some evidence that you convince them that you can live here in england??? thats e.g. House or other sort of income stocks etc.

I hope that help mate.

regards,

al

Arthur Little
5th June 2009, 16:33

Hi John,

:) Welcome to the forum, and congratulations to you and Emilie. My name is Arthur and, like yourself, I'm married to a Filipina. Her name is Myrna, and she was a schoolteacher in her homeland for 22 years prior to coming to the UK on a settlement visa last March ... 3 months after our wedding in Tagum City.

Arthur Little
5th June 2009, 16:57

I'm also retired with an occupational pension. However, it seems that even though I've remarried, I'll still only be entitled to receive the basic amount payable to a SINGLE person when I reach the official State Pension age this coming September. Meaning, I shall need to wait until July 2011 - when Myrna applies for ILR - before I become eligible for a married man's pension.:bigcry:

Arthur Little
5th June 2009, 17:03
Asylum seekers get everything for nothing !!

I know ... you're telling me! But what can we do ...? :doh

Arthur Little
5th June 2009, 17:19

Being one of these older guys myself, I totally endorse :xxgrinning--00xx3: every word you're saying here.

Arthur Little
5th June 2009, 17:30

Precisely! In fact, those are the very words used by the agent who handled our visa application.

Arthur Little
5th June 2009, 17:50
What happened to OUR human rights

That's what I'D like to know as well! :rolleyes: And, despite the ever-increasing number of seemingly nonsensical injunctions being passed by the European Court Of [so-called] Human Rights, there still remains far too many BASIC rights that are being totally ignored - both here and in Brussels.

Bet you're glad you intend eventually returning to New Zealand, eh?

kiwiflyer57
6th June 2009, 02:25
Congratulation John!!!!
Welcome to the Country of England.

Well as long as you can satisfy them that you can support your wife
without help from public funds i can assure you that she might get spouse visa, then where you can register her to GP, if she grant a visa when you come over here england, and get all the Priviledge that you get from NHS.exactly the same as yours as long as she is your spouse.

your case is slightly different. cause you get marreid in New Zealand and that is take time to process for your M.C.

All you need to do first for your M.C. need to be registered with NSO from phil. since you get married abroad that will take time unless you get married in embassy in N.Z. where they process M.C. straight away, then if not if you get married on church in N.Z. or attorneys Office and you hold a copy of you M. C. then register it to the embassy of N.Z. so they can forward relevant governing bodies like NSO so thats gona resolve the problem with M.C.

then there is another more might be a problem when you applying the spouse visa since you are retired! how you gona support her here in england unless you got some evidence that you convince them that you can live here in england??? thats e.g. House or other sort of income stocks etc.

I hope that help mate.

regards,

al

Hi Al,

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post and offering your help.

Re the New Zealand marriage, we got married and picked up the Certificate a few weeks later after we had a tour round the country, so not a problem with that.

Now the only thing we are having to decide is where we are going to live on a more or less permanent basis.
as I don't have a house in England any more, there are no mortgage ties there.
Emilie does have a house in Manila, but Manila is far too polluted and crowded , so we will be looking at a few other places, where we can get more space.

I asked originaly about the free health care in England because , I know I get prescriptions free, and I thought it worth asking if Emilie could also get free prescriptions as here in manila they tend to be quite expensive.

Anyway, as other friends have already said, the free stuff is out.

Regarding the income now I am retired.
Well I am so lucky now that I was invited to join an Investment programme last December, which has been fantastic and pays me just over 5% per week and compounds up every week, so no problems there.

So things are looking ok at the moment, and are looking even better as I am getting to know people on this forum and hopw we continue to make some friends on here.

Thanks for your advice.

John..

Emilie's visa was delivered by courier yesterday, so we will be arriving back in UK next week and will probably stay till October.

kiwiflyer57
6th June 2009, 02:42
Hi John,

:) Welcome to the forum, and congratulations to you and Emilie. My name is Arthur and, like yourself, I'm married to a Filipina. Her name is Myrna, and she was a schoolteacher in her homeland for 22 years prior to coming to the UK on a settlement visa last March ... 3 months after our wedding in Tagum City.

Hello Arthur and Myrna,

Loved your post, you think the same as I do :BouncyHappy:

I like this forum as there seems so many nice helpful people on here willing to offer advice freely.

We now have Emilie's UK visitors visa for 6 months, which came yesterday, so we will be getting back to UK next week and stay for about 5 months.

As i don't have to work anymore we will take some time to travel around without rushing as we have a Caravan and car already there.

then we will decide where to live, maybe here in the Philippines (Most likely), but still go to new zealand for a few months in their summer,

Ha ha we have a motor caravan there as well, so we are really independant. Thanks so much for your great post, Regards.

John:cwm12:

neallie
12th July 2009, 09:48
Hi everyone this is our first posting. we have been reading many of the members posting and we thought we should join.:BouncyHappy:

We have a question about visitor's visa. I am British and my wife to be is a filipina. We met in Cyprus while she was working there and live together in cyprus for 7 months before making the decision to come and live in the philippines. Weve now been here in Dumaguete for 3 months and getting married on the 1st of August. After getting married I have to return to the uk for 2-3months in connection with my business, we understand the time scale and cost involve in getting a spouse visa and we dont think it is worth the expense when we are not planning on staying in the uk. We have been told to apply for a visitor's visa for my new wife for her to come to the uk with me. What documentation do we have to supply and will she be able to work on a visitor's visa while we're there as she will be my wife?
Thanks

Mrs.JMajor
12th July 2009, 20:22
Hi everyone this is our first posting. we have been reading many of the members posting and we thought we should join.:BouncyHappy:

We have a question about visitor's visa. I am British and my wife to be is a filipina. We met in Cyprus while she was working there and live together in cyprus for 7 months before making the decision to come and live in the philippines. Weve now been here in Dumaguete for 3 months and getting married on the 1st of August. After getting married I have to return to the uk for 2-3months in connection with my business, we understand the time scale and cost involve in getting a spouse visa and we dont think it is worth the expense when we are not planning on staying in the uk. We have been told to apply for a visitor's visa for my new wife for her to come to the uk with me. What documentation do we have to supply and will she be able to work on a visitor's visa while we're there as she will be my wife?
Thanks

First- Welcome to the forum, I saw its your first post
Second- Start a thread of your own
Third- There is no way that she can work in visit visa, no way
as for the documentation your asking to apply for visit visa for your wife here have some time to read it http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx

But just notice your question here, you said "we are not planning on staying in the uk". But why your asking if she will be able to work in the UK? visit visa is a visit visa, against the law to work if she is on v.v.

joebloggs
12th July 2009, 20:37
Many thanks Sim11

We got the new 6 month visa today< so no problems,

We can now stay till about October< then come back to Manila when we will have more time to change Emilie's passport etc.

not sure if this applies to you, but on a visit visa your not allowed to stay more than 6 months in any one trip, also your not suppose to spend more than 6 months in the uk in any one year (thou this is not stated in immigration law, it is in the guidance/policy notes used by ECO's.

trader dave
13th July 2009, 00:19
I'm also retired with an occupational pension. However, it seems that even though I've remarried, I'll still only be entitled to receive the basic amount payable to a SINGLE person when I reach the official State Pension age this coming September. Meaning, I shall need to wait until July 2011 - when Myrna applies for ILR - before I become eligible for a married man's pension.:bigcry:

i may be wrong here but i have an old pal lives in cebu he is over state pension age he married in cebu to a local girl she has never set foot in the uk but he claims and gets a married mans state pension ?????? mind you i have not spoke to him for a few years ---- have the rules changed????

charlwill
13th July 2009, 01:14
I don't have enough knowledge about Scottish law. I believe you have your own law.
My ex- husband was getting an additional pension for me which is called wife's allowance. As I remembered it right, his claimed started when I was still in the Phils. and I am not an ILR holder. I think is worth trying Arthur before it's too late. Try to go DWP and ask about it. Come to think of it, it's not your wife's claim but your claim.