PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Marriage Seminar

DaveUK
16th June 2009, 12:38
Well, been back in the UK for a couple of days now after 2 amazing weeks in Phils with my lady!

While I was there, we did the pre-marriage thing in preparation for getting married at the end of the year. And all I can say is, that was 7 and a half hours of my life I will never get back!! :doh

7 and a half hours where 99% of what was said was in Cebuano! It was only the fact that the posters used in the seminar were in English meant I knew even if it was all spoken in English, I probably still would have been just as uninterested.

Thanks to the heat and the boredom, I did find myself nodding off a few times near the end of the day. A couple of times when I did, I noticed a very evil stare coming back at me from the woman doing her bit for the day! :)

The only entertaining point for me in the whole experience was when Yam wrote my address in the register and then had to explain to the woman that my home address was very real and the Isle of Man did actually exist! :)

Anyway, ultimately it now means we're one step closer to getting married and I now how a slightly amusing experience to recount to friends! :)

vbkelly
16th June 2009, 12:52
Well, been back in the UK for a couple of days now after 2 amazing weeks in Phils with my lady!

While I was there, we did the pre-marriage thing in preparation for getting married at the end of the year. And all I can say is, that was 7 and a half hours of my life I will never get back!! :doh

7 and a half hours where 99% of what was said was in Cebuano! It was only the fact that the posters used in the seminar were in English meant I knew even if it was all spoken in English, I probably still would have been just as uninterested.

Thanks to the heat and the boredom, I did find myself nodding off a few times near the end of the day. A couple of times when I did, I noticed a very evil stare coming back at me from the woman doing her bit for the day! :)

The only entertaining point for me in the whole experience was when Yam wrote my address in the register and then had to explain to the woman that my home address was very real and the Isle of Man did actually exist! :)

Anyway, ultimately it now means we're one step closer to getting married and I now how a slightly amusing experience to recount to friends! :)

hi dave same with my husband 8am till 5pm sitting in the hard seats and he didn't had a clue what they talking about bcoz all speakers are spoke visayan huhu ashame, anyway goodluck to your up coming wedding

DaveUK
16th June 2009, 12:54
hi dave same with my husband 8am till 5pm sitting in the hard seats and he didn't had a clue what they talking about bcoz all speakers are spoke visayan huhu ashame, anyway goodluck to your up coming wedding

Cheers :)

Was definitely an experience :)

Mrs.JMajor
16th June 2009, 13:10
Well hehe, you can avoid not to attend on that thou....cant pay them for "no appearance" style ?
Anyhow, Good luck Dave at least you forgot everything in the past already, because of beautiful Yam

DaveUK
16th June 2009, 13:12
Well hehe, you can avoid not to attend on that thou....cant pay them for "no appearance" style ?
Anyhow, Good luck Dave at least you forgot everything in the past already, because of beautiful Yam

I've got no option to forget. She causes me that much hassle, I don't have time to think about anything else! :D

IainBusby
16th June 2009, 13:15
That's bad luck Simon, when we had the pre-marital seminar it was all over in about 15 minutes. I think you must have found yourselves a real jobs-worth counselor.
Iain.

DaveUK
16th June 2009, 13:18
That's bad luck Simon, when we had the pre-marital seminar it was all over in about 15 minutes. I think you must have found yourselves a real jobs-worth counselor.
Iain.

I actually found 3 fella on the day! I was just that lucky! :doh

Arthur Little
16th June 2009, 13:19
While I was there, we did the pre-marriage thing in preparation for getting married at the end of the year.

:laugher: I can almost picture the woman's face! Evidently she'd read the 'Isle of Man' in its "literal" context ... as an island inhabited solely by the MALE gender ... and there was Yam, indicating where she'd be living after her marriage.

adam&chryss
16th June 2009, 13:20
Iain.

same with us.. or maybe less :)

we had our pre-cana seminar too, it took an hour for that.

Tawi2
16th June 2009, 13:24
:laugher: I can almost picture the woman's face! Evidently she'd read the 'Isle of Man' in its "literal" context ... as an island inhabited solely by the MALE gender ... and there was Yam, indicating where she'd be living after her marriage.

I remember when I lived on the isle of dogs:icon_lol: I wondered how they would have translated that?And someone once asked me what the middle-sex was :icon_lol:

Ji&Ma
16th June 2009, 13:50
I remember when I lived on the isle of dogs:icon_lol: I wondered how they would have translated that?And someone once asked me what the middle-sex was :icon_lol:
That reminds me of that old joke:
"If Tetley put the T in BriTain, who the hell put the c:censored:t in Scunthorpe???":Erm::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Alan
16th June 2009, 13:58
Iain.

Same for Hanna and I - no more than 15 mins. I actually told the lady that I was a teacher in England and she said, "Well Sir, I don't think I need to keep you here for very long then!" This is the truth!!

Al.:)

trader dave
16th June 2009, 14:44
:D:D HA HA i was spared that exciting day the reverent who conducted our wedding gave me a form to sign i think 100php changed hands :yikes::icon_lol: we did no running around signing or collecting forms the reverent sorted everything :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::BouncyHappy:

Arthur Little
16th June 2009, 16:43
I remember when I lived on the isle of dogs:icon_lol: I wondered how they would have translated that?

:lol2: Nice one, Del! ... probably, they'd find themselves "barking up the wrong tree" :thorsten_rammler: in their efforts ...

Arthur Little
16th June 2009, 16:51
And someone once asked me what the middle-sex was :icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Even better ... maybe he/she "drove" both ways!! :doh

Arthur Little
16th June 2009, 17:05
:D:D HA HA i was spared that exciting day.

So were WE, funnily enough! In fact, looking back now :rolleyes: - strange as it may seem - neither of US :NoNo: attended ANY kind of pre-marital seminar, whatsoever. :Erm: ... From the Church's perspective, does this mean we're "living in sin" ...? :cwm24:

Arthur Little
16th June 2009, 17:25
That reminds me of that old joke:
"If Tetley put the T in BriTain, *who the hell put the c:censored:t in Scunthorpe???":Erm::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

*Go(o)d Question, Jiri & Maricel ... Answer: :omg: ... [WHO ELSE?] "Pun" INtended ... but no offence meant!

Sconnie
16th June 2009, 17:34
Good luck Dave and Yam.
We missed this seminar also, I think on a form we put we had been advised by parents and that was that..

Arthur Little
16th June 2009, 18:12
Good luck Dave and Yam.
We missed this seminar also, I think on a form we put we had been advised by parents and that was that..

Yes, all the best to you, Dave and Yam! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

To add to what I've already mentioned in my earlier post an hour or so ago, Myrna and I were married by a Municipal Court Judge in a Civil Ceremony held at the house of one of Myrna's relatives ... the principal reason being to expedite her ensuing spousal visa application ... because we'd heard that the Catholic Church [of which Myrna was/is a staunch communicant] tended to be rather dilatory in releasing marriage certificates for compulsory NSO verification.

:Erm: I must also make it absolutely clear that NO "under the table monetary favours" changed hands at ANY stage throughout the entire process!

aposhark
16th June 2009, 20:28
So were WE, funnily enough! In fact, looking back now :rolleyes: - strange as it may seem - neither of US :NoNo: attended ANY kind of pre-marital seminar, whatsoever. :Erm: ... From the Church's perspective, does this mean we're "living in sin" ...? :cwm24:

Hmmmmmmmmm.....................................:NoNo:

Do you want an answer to your question Arthur Little ??????

DaveUK
16th June 2009, 21:28
Good luck Dave and Yam.

Yes, all the best to you, Dave and Yam! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cheers guys!

Starting to feel a little jealous no-one else seems to have done the full stretch now! :)

Mrs.JMajor
16th June 2009, 21:30
Hmmmmmmmmm.....................................:NoNo:

Do you want an answer to your question Arthur Little ??????
:laugher: Oh no Mike, dont start here hahaha

somebody
16th June 2009, 23:52
Missed that one as well, I think we had a survey we had to fill in and contribution to give.

7 hours did you have breaks?

aromulus
17th June 2009, 06:06
Iain.

We didn't have a pre-marriage thingy seminar.:D

The clerk waived it for us ....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
17th June 2009, 10:15
We didn't have a pre-marriage thingy seminar.:D

The clerk waived it for us ....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Same for Rochelyn and me.
We were both pleased that the lady gave us a piece of paper indicating we had done it, especially when she told us it was going to be in Cebuano.

DaveUK
17th June 2009, 12:05
Missed that one as well, I think we had a survey we had to fill in and contribution to give.

7 hours did you have breaks?

They kindly allowed us an hour for lunch! :) It was only because I knew we needed the certificate that persuaded me to go back, otherwise I would have hidden!