PDA

View Full Version : An American woman has been fined nearly $2 million dollars for illegally downloading

nigel
20th June 2009, 10:12
Check this story out!!!!:yikes:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090619/twl-mum-fined-2m-for-illegal-music-file-3fd0ae9.html

I think art immitates life anyway...:Erm:

But cripes, I'm quite angry at what they've done to that poor woman!:cwm23:

KeithD
20th June 2009, 10:33
More to the story than that, she was sharing the music, the industry doesn't go after those that just download.

If you do download anything, DO NOT leave it in the download folder as you are probably sharing it. Move it straight away to a non-shared folder.

Not sure how they come to the amounts though, the industry, like TV, radio, etc, only pay about 4p per song.

Alan
20th June 2009, 10:35
A totally OUTRAGEOUS amount to fine her!!!!

It should have been $5 million. :D

Al.:)

Tawi2
20th June 2009, 10:41
Yeah,its only 2 mill,pocket change to pirating buckaneers such as her :icon_lol: Arrrrrrr,pieces of eight,15 men on a dead mans chest and other piratical,nautically themed sayings :icon_lol:

Tawi2
20th June 2009, 10:44
She actually got off with it quite lightly,I thought punishment for piracy was cat'o'nine tails,walking the plank,and keelhauling????:Erm:

Fitzy
21st June 2009, 17:12
I know what I'm talking about, so please all be warned, and take my advice!

Kazaa, emule, etc etc......

They all use a sharing technology called peer to peer = computer to computer, therefore, there is no file server in the middle, so that is why it's free!
Kazaa, and the like, provide the client software, for free, well almost, if you like spyware on your computer!
OK! While you are downloading files from other computers, you are simultaneously uploading them. That is where the music companies get you, for UPLOADING copy writed material, as well as downloading!!!!!
Be warned, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
In the download clients settings, you can choose to disable this feature, but is set to upward sharing by default.

Answer =

Get a rapidshare account, because is direct download via their servers, and for a very modest monthly sum indeed.
I swear by it, not to mention, is many, many times faster, the link is encrypted, so virtually no chance of getting caught out!!

I for one, would prefer to spend 3 quid a month for my access, opposed to a rather heafty fine!

Don't get me wrong, some of the hosting sites for rapidshare files contain viruses, trojans, rootkit viruses etc....

Is always good to have an up to date antivirus client. I use Avast professional, because it has a nifty script blocker as well:)

I didn't say that I nicked it from RS lol:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anybody please feel free to comment, as well as PM me for any advice that I may offer.

Be careful out there please!!!!!!!

Fitzy
21st June 2009, 17:26
Hi Fitzy,I use bit torrent/mininova. could you tell me are these free? or not.!

Yes they are dear friend, but please don't do it.
Pls read my post again, coz I edited it.
Is usafe, the record companies snoopers CAN see you, is slow, infected, and unrecommended by ppl like myself!!

www.rapidshare.com

Advice to all!

Download it, and enjoy the blistering speed(dependant on ur connection), and sleep well knowing that you won't get done.

After you have done this go to

www.filehippo.com

then download a download manager. I use flashget

PM me peeps if you need help.

DON'T be a donkey using Emule/Kazaa etc, just coz is free.

My friendly advice:)

P.s

I don't work for rapidshare heheheheehheeh

Am but a humble Airport Radio Engineer Lol

somebody
21st June 2009, 17:37
So whats happens if Record companies or what not cotton on and post the content?

Would be worth their effort.

No way is totaly safe

Plus as mates and family have found out never rely on downloaded av or other pc security alone.

If they have cracked the security who is to say they have not added a nice surprise for you?

nigel
21st June 2009, 17:41
I'm a bit nervous about downloading..especially after what you've said fitzy. I've got something called Freecorder now and I'm getting my music from simply recording youtube. (Freecorder is just an audio recorder thingy that sits on your toolbar.) I find Freecorder only works half the time though...:Erm:

Some of the music I like is Thai dance/pop music and I can't find it anywhere else other than youtube, so Freecorder is very good for that!:)

joebloggs
21st June 2009, 17:51
with torrents, only use private trackers , not public ones. reduce your risk of getting caught.

you can disable uploads, but you can't on most if not all p2p programs disable uploading to others the file your currently downloading.

rapidshare :D not get caught :icon_lol: they have logs of everything you downloaded :doh, also rapidshare has lost a few court cases, so it will not be long before they have to hand over all the logs of everything you ever downloaded to a court.

but password protected zip files on rapidshare or similar is the :xxgrinning--00xx3: to go, as scouser keith has said your not distributing the warez.

the lady in the court case, was offered a deal before she went to court to pay i think it was $3000-$4000 usd but she refused, single mother so fine her $4000 or $4,000,000 she hasn;t the money to pay :doh

joebloggs
21st June 2009, 17:57
So whats happens if Record companies or what not cotton on and post the content?

Would be worth their effort.

No way is totaly safe

Plus as mates and family have found out never rely on downloaded av or other pc security alone.

If they have cracked the security who is to say they have not added a nice surprise for you?

they do it all the time, but many of the uploads get checked and put in the trash bin,i think the pirate bay boasted many times they had deleted fake torrents uploaded by copy write groups

Fitzy
21st June 2009, 18:50
with torrents, only use private trackers , not public ones. reduce your risk of getting caught.

you can disable uploads, but you can't on most if not all p2p programs disable uploading to others the file your currently downloading.

rapidshare :D not get caught :icon_lol: they have logs of everything you downloaded :doh, also rapidshare has lost a few court cases, so it will not be long before they have to hand over all the logs of everything you ever downloaded to a court.

but password protected zip files on rapidshare or similar is the :xxgrinning--00xx3: to go, as scouser keith has said your not distributing the warez.

the lady in the court case, was offered a deal before she went to court to pay i think it was $3000-$4000 usd but she refused, single mother so fine her $4000 or $4,000,000 she hasn;t the money to pay :doh

Indeed sir I agree, pwd protected zips are better!
Surely RS has gotta be more secure than p2p as I stated?????
Pls tell me, to your knowledge, has anybody been prosecuted for RS downloads???
Am not trying to defend myself here, but just going on common sense, and experience:)

Just trying to help the uneducated from ending up being stuffed, that's all!

Fitzy
21st June 2009, 18:54
I'm a bit nervous about downloading..especially after what you've said fitzy. I've got something called Freecorder now and I'm getting my music from simply recording youtube. (Freecorder is just an audio recorder thingy that sits on your toolbar.) I find Freecorder only works half the time though...:Erm:

Some of the music I like is Thai dance/pop music and I can't find it anywhere else other than youtube, so Freecorder is very good for that!:)

Hmmmmmm

Not sure about Freecorder?????

Never heard of anyone getting done using it, so I wd not lose sleep over it:)

somebody
21st June 2009, 19:24
they do it all the time, but many of the uploads get checked and put in the trash bin,i think the pirate bay boasted many times they had deleted fake torrents uploaded by copy write groups

How would they know:Erm:

The intresting thing was what the priate bay blokes were nicked for and if i was the board of rapidshare would be looking over my shoulder. Which is im sure like youtube which had a policy change i belive a while back due to pressures. No board memeber worries about fines if they can take them in their stride but prison time is not very handy if you want to be a director..

The Stockholm district court in Sweden found the defendants guilty not of hosting materially illegally, but of "providing a website with sophisticated search functions, simple download and storage capabilities, and a tracker linked to the website [that helped users commit copyright violations]."

ie sort of aiding and abetting, ie they cant go after every downloader so will most likely cut of the supply far easier.

somebody
21st June 2009, 19:27

I thought you said they wouldn't do that:Erm:

Witrh all the cheap skilled labour and the chance to pass on the costs I would expect sooner rather than later

joebloggs
21st June 2009, 19:44
well many people use google to find the warez their looking for, no need for warez sites.

well someone leaked phone calls and internal emails from media defender, and if i remember correctly they had tried to put fake torrents on pirate bay a few times but they all were deleted by the admins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaDefender

joebloggs
21st June 2009, 19:52
I thought you said they wouldn't do that:Erm:

Witrh all the cheap skilled labour and the chance to pass on the costs I would expect sooner rather than later

where did i say that ? rapidshare only have a six people checking the billions of files on their servers :D, but then there are ways to help them, any file thats been downloaded x number of times could be blocked until someone has checked it at rapidshare.

but people who upload them only have to name the files as random letters and put a password on the zip file, and their :censored:. who knows what the file is or the contents are :rolleyes:

and all they're have is a log of meaningless file names ! and you think they have the time or server power to use brute force to crack each of the passwords ?

darren-b
21st June 2009, 20:03
Am not trying to defend myself here, but just going on common sense, and experience:)

Rapidshare have allegedly handed over information which has led to raids on at least one user's home. As a downloader you are less likely to be tracked regardless of the method used, though if Rapidshare are willing to co-operate you are just as vulnerable as p2p users, if not more so as they have logs from a centralised location to confirm you downloaded the whole file and they potentially have more details about you as you actually paid money.

somebody
21st June 2009, 20:38
where did i say that ? rapidshare only have a six people checking the billions of files on their servers :D, but then there are ways to help them, any file thats been downloaded x number of times could be blocked until someone has checked it at rapidshare.

but people who upload them only have to name the files as random letters and put a password on the zip file, and their :censored:. who knows what the file is or the contents are :rolleyes:

and all they're have is a log of meaningless file names ! and you think they have the time or server power to use brute force to crack each of the passwords ?

A few months:D back of course most people wil never get a knock on the door.

But a few test cases i.e the copyright people download files for themsleves obtain the records for that file.

Then make avaiable there own "ilegal" files let them be downloaded when making it known they contain warez.

Like you say Rapidshare will end up in the dock and as i said the mintue jail gets mentioned the suits will not wanna lose there directorship and freedom. How they stop it i dont know.
Shame as the free file sharing services are real handy.

joebloggs
21st June 2009, 20:56

rapidshare have been taken to court a number of times over the years, and i think they lost all the court cases, but their still going :rolleyes:

rapishare must be more secure than P2p because i don't know of any court case where a rapidshare user has been prosecuted.

most if not all court cases involve those who distribute warez, and then the prosecution/court come up with the crazy numbers of other users who downloaded it from you and bingo millions of $ in fines and court costs :doh

Fitzy
22nd June 2009, 19:26
rapidshare have been taken to court a number of times over the years, and i think they lost all the court cases, but their still going :rolleyes:

rapishare must be more secure than P2p because i don't know of any court case where a rapidshare user has been prosecuted.

most if not all court cases involve those who distribute warez, and then the prosecution/court come up with the crazy numbers of other users who downloaded it from you and bingo millions of $ in fines and court costs :doh

Nice response my friend.

So really, it's a lottery!!!!
More chance of winning it, than getting done, or on a par methinks:D