PDA

View Full Version : EU v Microsoft

KeithD
23rd June 2009, 20:13
For years the EU fought with Microsoft over it's supposed monopoly....I prefer the word 'success'!! :doh

They have fined them £100's Millions, and now Microsoft have caved in over the browser issue and it will not be installed with new computers installed with Windows 7 when it is released in October.

So the EU have won :xxgrinning--00xx3: Sorted that mega-successful company out good style :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I do notice a ssssssslight problem with this wonderful victory.....when folk get a new computer with no browser installed.....how do they download one? :Erm: :doh Stupid EU!!!

MarBell379
23rd June 2009, 20:42
There will also be a slew of smaller companies starting to charge for software now they can actually 'compete'. Watch this space for Mozilla to find a way to charge for Firefox.
Its going to make things more expensive in the long run. :(

KeithD
23rd June 2009, 20:54
Linux
Not for the general population though is it? Companies have tried selling it pre-installed, only to fail. You need to be a bit of a techie head to use it, I run it on 2 servers and it makes MS & Apple OS look like childs play.

This is in answer to the post below :Erm:

jimeve
23rd June 2009, 20:54
For years the EU fought with Microsoft over it's supposed monopoly....I prefer the word 'success'!! :doh

They have fined them £100's Millions, and now Microsoft have caved in over the browser issue and it will not be installed with new computers installed with Windows 7 when it is released in October.

So the EU have won :xxgrinning--00xx3: Sorted that mega-successful company out good style :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I do notice a ssssssslight problem with this wonderful victory.....when folk get a new computer with no browser installed.....how do they download one? :Erm: :doh Stupid EU!!!

Linux :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
23rd June 2009, 21:51
your very smart boss! :D

replying to post before they get posted......your not related to him are you????? :Erm:

Mrs.JMajor
23rd June 2009, 22:35

replying to post before they get posted......your not related to him are you????? :Erm:

:icon_lol: I notice too :Erm: How the hell he manage to think of that :Erm:

Lol I know, alright I am just kidding:doh, I will explain to you, pm me

Alan
24th June 2009, 00:45
It's the Twilight Zone!

Al.:)

Sophie
24th June 2009, 01:18

IT APPEARED TO THE BOSS IN A VISION :xxgrinning--00xx3::D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

pennybarry
24th June 2009, 15:33
Linux :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have some friends in Pinas who are using Linux and showed us how to use it.

Sounds good :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
24th June 2009, 16:24
I have some friends in Pinas who are using Linux and showed us how to use it.

Sounds good :xxgrinning--00xx3:
It's not for newbies though.

somebody
24th June 2009, 20:22
Not for the general population though is it? Companies have tried selling it pre-installed, only to fail. You need to be a bit of a techie head to use it, I run it on 2 servers and it makes MS & Apple OS look like childs play.

This is in answer to the post below :Erm:

Mac os is now linux based, dell sell ubuntu laptops and many web books are some brand of linux.

I know many non techy people who use it some form of linux a virtual os once they shown how.

Those who have it seem to have no more problems than Windows users.

I thought it funny that many pc's will not have IE as default.

Course they will, from what i read is Microsoft cant put on. But Im sure major pc makers
will put it on otherwise there laptop is not WEB ready.

Most people just wanna plug in the pc boot up and surf the web. Plenty of people still
think of the ie icon as the internet button.

ukgangster
25th June 2009, 09:37
I think what will happen is that IE will be included, but not installed by default or it will be installed but you will have the option to uninstall it or at least hide it, a bit like what happened to Windows Media Player vs Real Player a few years back. M$ can put whatever they like in W7 as do PC manufacturers who add all kinds of rubbish like Norton AV and Google stuff.

My new laptop came with Norton, that was the first to go, followed by Google Desktop search and 4 other Google apps.

KeithD
25th June 2009, 10:29
My new laptop came with Norton, that was the first to go, followed by Google Desktop search and 4 other Google apps.
:Erm: You should have just bought a ZX80 then! :D

ukgangster
25th June 2009, 11:28
Eset NOD32 is far superior to Norton when it comes to AV :xxgrinning--00xx3:
It might be more expensive, but its well worth the money IMHO.

KeithD
25th June 2009, 11:34
Outpost Security beats them both :)

somebody
28th June 2009, 18:17
:Erm: You should have just bought a ZX80 then! :D
Was that the one which needed a milk carton balanced on top of it to keep it cool?

KeithD
28th June 2009, 19:18
Was that the one which needed a milk carton balanced on top of it to keep it cool?
You had milk cartons?? How posh :D

somebody
28th June 2009, 20:13
You had milk cartons?? How posh :D

We never had a ZX80 in our household, but more than one person mentioned they had to that, must have smelt lovely:D

We had Unigate deliver milk bottles and wait for it Orange juice in a pint bottle oh la de da:D

joebloggs
28th June 2009, 20:28
We never had a ZX80 in our household, but more than one person mentioned they had to that, must have smelt lovely:D

i've still got one :D, just b4 my time thou, but i bought a zx81 kit you had to assemble yourself :yikes:, mine didn't work, til i realised they sent me 2 roms instead of a rom and z80 processor, after a freebie from sinclair i was amazed it worked :yikes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:, still got it now :xxgrinning--00xx3:, thou for me commodores were much better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
28th June 2009, 20:54
i've still got one :D, just b4 my time thou, but i bought a zx81 kit you had to assemble yourself :yikes:, mine didn't work, til i realised they sent me 2 roms instead of a rom and z80 processor, after a freebie from sinclair i was amazed it worked :yikes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:, still got it now :xxgrinning--00xx3:, thou for me commodores were much better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My Dad bought a zx81 and then a spectrum, he toyed with the idea of getting a DIY one as cheaper but went for the easy option.

Glad to see you bought British:rolleyes::D