PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Filipino's Smile So Much? :-)

nigel
3rd July 2009, 22:47
As a Brit guy I can tell you that the Filipino smile is really something to witness, you haven't lived if you haven't seen the Filipino smile!:) But why do Filipino's smile so much? :rolleyes:

I've noticed that children are incredibly well behaved in Philippines, I think maybe the way Filipina's smile at their children may have something to do with it? :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

eagles
3rd July 2009, 23:04
Filipina smile comes from within the heart..Its rooted in our culture , taught by parents to greet at first by a "smile" . That's why we have this ' Filipino Hospitality"

maria_and_matt
3rd July 2009, 23:09
i smile a lot coz i have nothing else better to do:icon_lol::icon_lol:

estherboaz
3rd July 2009, 23:13
because smile makes you young..actually there is a social meaning in Filipino smile.

...it keeps us from giving up, makes us prevail.

... smile is an expression of strength in the face of frustrations and hopelessness. But it’s not just muscles flexed in the mouth. And not necessarily an expression of happiness. But it could mean to say that, jointly with the one you’re smiling at, you’d bear it out with him.

A smile could mean, “It’s all right, don’t worry.”

Or “I’m so sorry….” in an apology. (Smile)

Or “Gosh!” shyly. (Smile)

Mrs.JMajor
4th July 2009, 00:06
Because we are friendly , happy people :rolleyes: or maybe I just dont have so much problem aside from missing Jed soooooooooooooo much :bigcry:

NtoN
4th July 2009, 06:42
Smiling is an important form of social grace for us Filipinos. Being generally friendly and hospitable are the traits that we were born with...and most importantly, we've got irresistible and killer smiles. cant help that! LOL :)

nigel
4th July 2009, 08:58
Filipina smile comes from within the heart..Its rooted in our culture , taught by parents to greet at first by a "smile" . That's why we have this ' Filipino Hospitality" I found Filipino's are very warm accomodating people when I was out there, it's quite something to have an exotic Filipina smile at you!:D

nigel
4th July 2009, 08:59
i smile a lot coz i have nothing else better to do:icon_lol::icon_lol:Eh? Nothing better to do? :icon_lol:

Ana_may365
4th July 2009, 09:11
just want to say 'SMILE IS THE BEST MEDICINE':D:D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:it makes u younger:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

nigel
4th July 2009, 09:19
because smile makes you young..actually there is a social meaning in Filipino smile.

... smile is an expression of strength in the face of frustrations and hopelessness. But it’s not just muscles flexed in the mouth. And not necessarily an expression of happiness. But it could mean to say that, jointly with the one you’re smiling at, you’d bear it out with him.

Or “Gosh!” shyly. (Smile) I agree!:xxgrinning--00xx3: I also think that a smile is an important thing for bonding with people, to keep a good, close relationship...it shows we are friendly, we are cooperating, we mean no harm.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

A thing that interests me very much is that Filipina's are very good at raising children, they seem to know something we don't! :rolleyes:

I think children or babies might need a lot of reassurance, a feeling that they are in a safe environment in order for them to grow into balanced people.

What could be more reassuring than have your mother smile at you?:rolleyes:

Have I stumbled upon something fascinating? :Erm: Or am I just being daft?:icon_lol:

nigel
4th July 2009, 09:34
Because we are friendly , happy people :rolleyes: or maybe I just dont have so much problem aside from missing Jed soooooooooooooo much :bigcry:I agree of course, but why are Filipino's so happy? What am I missing? :Erm:

I can only guess that the Filipino happiness comes from having close relationships, and a strong faith in God also? But this is only me guessing of course!:rolleyes:

pennybarry
4th July 2009, 09:48
When I was in my primary grades, I always read mottos at the upper side of the chart. SMILE AND THE WORLD WILL SMILE AT YOU.:) I even learned that smile can makes you feel looks younger and feel younger and thats 100% true. I grew up always smiling and I'm sure it came from the bottom of my heart with sincerity. If I laugh/crackles, the neighbors will surely hears me:D. :icon_lol:

Suprano and Alto cracklings with accent:icon_lol: Ahahahha, ehehehhe, hakhakhak, and bwahahah.

As a whole, Filipinas smile:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sunstar-essay-filipino-smile :Rasp:

nigel
4th July 2009, 09:50
Smiling is an important form of social grace for us Filipinos. Being generally friendly and hospitable are the traits that we were born with...and most importantly, we've got irresistible and killer smiles. cant help that! LOL :) I agree, so when you are brought up, you are actually taught to smile, smiling is a Filipino etiquette? :Erm: I think maybe the Philippines flag should have a smiley :) in the middle of it!:icon_lol:

Mrs Daddy
4th July 2009, 09:51
we smile because we like showing off our teeth that we brushed twice or three times a day.:D:D:D

Mrs Daddy
4th July 2009, 09:51
I agree, so when you are brought up, you are actually taught to smile, smiling is a Filipino etiquette? :Erm: I think maybe the Philippines flag should have a smiley :) in the middle of it!:icon_lol:

with colgate toothpaste in it!:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol:

nigel
4th July 2009, 09:55
just want to say 'SMILE IS THE BEST MEDICINE':D:D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:it makes u younger:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:I also believe that happiness and laughter can heal anything!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

mommyhere
4th July 2009, 09:56
maybe its not nly being a filipino, maybe it has something to do with hte genes..:Erm:

People here, despite of poverty, living in shanties, in time of disaster :) even those people in the streets, theyre not afford only to smile. but more so to laugh from time to time:icon_lol:

Can't explain why, but the only thing definite with Filipinos having this awesome or amazing attitude, we don't get depressed so easily, so no suicidal attempt in our minds in a split second of life's challenges.

I guess I would say that we're that shallow..for we don't dwell so much on material things..more for the family instead..

So whether we don't enjoy luxury in life so much as long as family is intact, we're still happy.

we starve together, we laugh together.."humm..kinda"

nigel
4th July 2009, 10:07
When I was in my primary grades, I always read mottos at the upper side of the chart. SMILE AND THE WORLD WILL SMILE AT YOU.:) I even learned that smile can makes you feel looks younger and feel younger and thats 100% true. I grew up always smiling and I'm sure it came from the bottom of my heart with sincerity. If I laugh/crackles, the neighbors will surely hears me:D. :icon_lol:

Suprano and Alto cracklings with accent:icon_lol: Ahahahha, ehehehhe, hakhakhak, and bwahahah.

As a whole, Filipinas smile:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sunstar-essay-filipino-smile :Rasp:Hahahahaha you made me laugh so much with what you said there :icon_lol: especially I like that hakhakhak thing, I sometimes laugh like that :icon_lol: and sometimes I laugh like a monkey when I laugh so hard "ooh ooh ooh he he hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!" My neighbours are thinking "Have they got a chimpanzee next door or something?":doh

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

pennybarry
4th July 2009, 10:16
Hahahahaha you made me laugh so much with what you said there :icon_lol: especially I like that hakhakhak thing, I sometimes laugh like that :icon_lol: and sometimes I laugh like a monkey when I laugh so hard "ooh ooh ooh he he hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!" My neighbours are thinking "Have they got a chimpanzee next door or something?":doh

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I know you have good sense of humor Nigel. Who knows someday I hear someone cracklings out there:
"ooh ooh ooh he he hee hee hoo hoo haa haa!" So I will ask , Is that you Nigel if you said yes, I will crackles for sure. HAKHAKHAKHAK:icon_lol::icon_lol:

aHAHAHhahha ahakhakhak

nigel
4th July 2009, 10:21
maybe its not nly being a filipino, maybe it has something to do with hte genes..:Erm:

People here, despite of poverty, living in shanties, in time of disaster :) even those people in the streets, theyre not afford only to smile. but more so to laugh from time to time:icon_lol:

Can't explain why, but the only thing definite with Filipinos having this awesome or amazing attitude, we don't get depressed so easily, so no suicidal attempt in our minds in a split second of life's challenges.

I guess I would say that we're that shallow..for we don't dwell so much on material things..more for the family instead..

So whether we don't enjoy luxury in life so much as long as family is intact, we're still happy.

we starve together, we laugh together.."humm..kinda"I have thought that the Filipino smile has maybe got something to do with genetics...because the ability for Filipino's to smile through it all is so magnificent...it's a most astonishing thing for me...

Filipino's often express that family is important, when it comes to caring for children and the elderly, maybe Filipino's are the experts!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
4th July 2009, 10:28
we smile because we like showing off our teeth that we brushed twice or three times a day.:D:D:D
:icon_lol::icon_lol:When I asked my Vimvie why Filipino's smile so much, she said "So you can see we don't need a dentist!" :icon_lol:

:Erm: Hey that's not really why! :icon_lol:

Ana_may365
4th July 2009, 11:15
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:I also believe that happiness and laughter can heal anything!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

why aye!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Mrs Daddy
4th July 2009, 12:50
why aye!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

yep so they say laughter is the best medicine:xxgrinning--00xx3:

rayofLight
4th July 2009, 14:07
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Or “Gosh!” shyly. (Smile)

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
4th July 2009, 15:01
As a Brit guy I can tell you that the Filipino smile is really something to witness, you haven't lived if you haven't seen the Filipino smile!:) But why do Filipino's smile so much?
Thoughts?

I suppose it is something inherent to filipinas.....the culture and family values may have something or a lot to do with it, as we are brought up that way....
And it's part of the filipino custom and norm to be friendly, polite, warm and hospitable people......
And initially, a smile is an essential part to achieve all that.......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

after all, a smile is always contageous, you smile to other people and you get a smile back
and what better way to start and end your day than with a smile :):):xxgrinning--00xx3:

A smile can also be a manifestation of strength, that even in the midst of hardships, filipinos can still put on a smile.....it's a positive coping mechanism...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
4th July 2009, 19:45
I suppose it is something inherent to filipinas.....the culture and family values may have something or a lot to do with it, as we are brought up that way....
And it's part of the filipino custom and norm to be friendly, polite, warm and hospitable people......
And initially, a smile is an essential part to achieve all that.......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

after all, a smile is always contageous, you smile to other people and you get a smile back
and what better way to start and end your day than with a smile :):):xxgrinning--00xx3:

A smile can also be a manifestation of strength, that even in the midst of hardships, filipinos can still put on a smile.....it's a positive coping mechanism...:xxgrinning--00xx3::) I read on a website somewhere that Filipino's smile at you almost all of the time, when they are disapointed they will smile at you, when they are angry they will smile at you, it seems to me that all this smiling is maybe the reason that children are so well behaved in Philippines...:rolleyes:

Sophie
4th July 2009, 20:25
:) I read on a website somewhere that Filipino's smile at you almost all of the time, when they are disapointed they will smile at you, when they are angry they will smile at you, it seems to me that all this smiling is maybe the reason that children are so well behaved in Philippines...:rolleyes:

Yeah, i agree nigel, smile is practically a filipino's way of life, both in good and unpleasant times.....
Besides, frowning doesn't make any bad situation better, oftentimes it makes the situation worst...
So indeed, it's the best coping mechanism :xxgrinning--00xx3:

As with children, yeah most kids there are well behaved, wait till you meet a grumpy and naughty one, lol....:D:D:icon_lol:

Jay&Zobel
4th July 2009, 20:28
S M I L E!!!! Filipinos just L0VE to smile a lot. When you're in the Philippines and you smile at someone, he would smile back at you.

That's what Filipinos are....smiling:smileybigtmouth:

Reasons:
They are courteous and respectful.
They love life.
They laugh at their mistakes, on silly things or even misfortunes.
They are just genuinely happy people.
:):):xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

ca143
4th July 2009, 20:53
all i can say FILIPINO born being happy.

bornatbirth
4th July 2009, 21:00
nigel,can you make your signature any bigger? :icon_lol:

my wife smiles because she as my wallet and gives me pocket money :cwm23: :D

eagles
4th July 2009, 22:11
As a parent, we taught our children to smile, to laugh .. We get worried when the baby starts to cry and we try any means to make the baby happy... so at the very start of child development, a parent brings out the smile, laughter and happinness from a child. The bigger challenge afterwards is to nurture that " happy feeling of a child " towards adulthood.

Not all people's smiles are natural- others are "fake" simply to appease the other person. A true smile radiates in the face, in the eyes of a person........ Have you a seen a person smiling Yet the EYES looks so sad?

nigel
4th July 2009, 22:30
S M I L E!!!! Filipinos just L0VE to smile a lot. When you're in the Philippines and you smile at someone, he would smile back at you.

That's what Filipinos are....smiling:smileybigtmouth:

Reasons:
They are courteous and respectful.
They love life.
They laugh at their mistakes, on silly things or even misfortunes.
They are just genuinely happy people.
:):):xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:What about the way Filipino's are feeling that family is important...and what about the Filipino's firm belief in God? Because I'm on the outside looking in, it makes me think this might be a factor in Filipino happiness...no?:Erm:

nigel
4th July 2009, 22:31
all i can say FILIPINO born being happy.
hehe born with a smile on their face..hehe:icon_lol:

nigel
4th July 2009, 22:35
nigel,can you make your signature any bigger? :icon_lol:

my wife smiles because she as my wallet and gives me pocket money :cwm23: :DI let my Vimvie have my cards sometimes...she's like wow! I can't believe that..! (Well she was first time I think..)

I have gone into my signature editing thingy, and I've clicked on stuff and adjusted this and moved that etc...is it better?:rolleyes:

nigel
4th July 2009, 22:47
As a parent, we taught our children to smile, to laugh .. We get worried when the baby starts to cry and we try any means to make the baby happy... so at the very start of child development, a parent brings out the smile, laughter and happinness from a child. The bigger challenge afterwards is to nurture that " happy feeling of a child " towards adulthood.

Not all people's smiles are natural- others are "fake" simply to appease the other person. A true smile radiates in the face, in the eyes of a person........ Have you a seen a person smiling Yet the EYES looks so sad?

Yes I think you are right, I watched a documentary by Desmond Morris that featured something about the genuine smile and the fake smile, a genuine smile will also have "smiling eyes" he said.

It was a fascinating BBC documentary called "The Human Animal" he pointed out that when a person is lying to you, they will blink a bit more than they usually do, they also have a tendency to cover their mouth with their hand as if to "hide" their lying mouth.

There was also a poker game featured on the documentary, and they pointed out that when a card player has a losing set of cards, he will put his chips down with a flourish..(for those who might not know the word flourish...it means to put the chips down with a kind of "Bah! Whats the use?" attitude..)

:rolleyes:

Hey I think I found the start of that documentary on youtube..http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=channel_page&v=x85T7DR4opA

Jay&Zobel
4th July 2009, 23:12
What about the way Filipino's are feeling that family is important...and what about the Filipino's firm belief in God? Because I'm on the outside looking in, it makes me think this might be a factor in Filipino happiness...no?:Erm:

Yep!!
God, Family & Friends make a Filipino so so happy! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I really think it's the attitude, the optimism about life!!!

somebody
5th July 2009, 00:06
To check if their braces are still in place some of my wifes mates seemed to wear them for years and years and years

tiN
5th July 2009, 00:13
It is indeed the best medicine :D:D

pennybarry
5th July 2009, 08:33
What about the way Filipino's are feeling that family is important...and what about the Filipino's firm belief in God? Because I'm on the outside looking in, it makes me think this might be a factor in Filipino happiness...no?:Erm:

Family is not just important but most important to us. That's why it was heartbreaking when I moved to UK and leave my family. Now I'm here, little by little, I can get on with my new life.

My Mom is not a churh-goer but believer and goes to church occassionally. Every year, Mom and her 2 best friends goes to Antipolo and Black Nazarene. At night before she goes to bed, I used to hear her loudly prayers. :icon_lol:
One time I heard her talking to God and said, Lord give me a chance to win a lottery so there's no need my children to work abroad and stay with me here in Pinas.:omg: I laughed lol:icon_lol:. But made me cry in her next line of prayer. I missed them terribly and couldn't sleep of worries. Please guide them for me. Sometimes she's really funny:icon_lol:She makes me laugh and cry in minutes:doh:icon_lol::D

KeithD
5th July 2009, 08:35
But why do Filipino's smile so much? :rolleyes:
They all wear these..... http://www.wickedtickles.co.uk/onlineshop/Vibrating-knickers-with-remote-control-pr-990.html

nigel
5th July 2009, 10:45
They all wear these..... http://www.wickedtickles.co.uk/onlineshop/Vibrating-knickers-with-remote-control-pr-990.html
Them TV presenters Richard and Judy...I think she's wearing a pair of them!:icon_lol: Either that or he leaves her on charge every night next to his electric toothebrush!:yikes:

:icon_lol:

aposhark
5th July 2009, 12:46
Once we went into Robinson's department store in Cebu City to buy some things.
We selected about 5 items of clothes, shoes, bags etc., but there was only one cashier open.
There were about 15 people queued up (in line) waiting patiently.
There were at least 30 sales staff walking about always trying to get people to buy.
I gave up after waiting 10 minutes and went to ask the people who worked in the shop why we all had to wait for so long.
They all just smiled at me.
I wish they hadn't all smiled, but acted serious and fixed the problem.

===========================================
I find queuing up a big problem in the Philippines.
Nobody seems to mind and everyone can waste hours a day standing up waiting to pay.

I also saw a queue in the supermarket of Robinson's with at least 30 people in line...............

Sophie
5th July 2009, 13:17
I find queuing up a big problem in the Philippines.
Nobody seems to mind and everyone can waste hours a day standing up waiting to pay.

I also saw a queue in the supermarket of Robinson's with at least 30 people in line...............

Lol, very true aposhark, this is one major problem in pinas specially in metro malls and supermarkets and unless a customer retaliates, that's where they normally speed up.....
And i'm quite amazed here in uk as everything is fast and quick, saves you a lot of time and practically no queuing up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
5th July 2009, 13:34
I've banned my wife from meeting folk off the forum....they keep giving her dried fish :bigcry:

Sophie
5th July 2009, 13:41
I've banned my wife from meeting folk off the forum....they keep giving her dried fish :bigcry:

LOL, i miss dried fish so much :D:D:D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

nigel
5th July 2009, 13:56
Lol, very true aposhark, this is one major problem in pinas specially in metro malls and supermarkets and unless a customer retaliates, that's where they normally speed up.....
And i'm quite amazed here in uk as everything is fast and quick, saves you a lot of time and practically no queuing up :xxgrinning--00xx3:Quickest place I've been shopping is a chinese supermarket in Croydon called Wing Yip! When you take your shopping to the cashier in there, they have three girls, one does the till, the other two bag up your shopping...I've never seen a que in there...when you pay it takes just 20 seconds and it's all bagged up and your ready to go! They are so quick it's as if they can't wait to kick you out the door!:icon_lol: But would I rather wait three hours?:Erm: Well of course not!:icon_lol:

Sophie
5th July 2009, 14:03
Quickest place I've been shopping is a chinese supermarket in Croydon called Wing Yip! When you take your shopping to the cashier in there, they have three girls, one does the till, the other two bag up your shopping...I've never seen a que in there...when you pay it takes just 20 seconds and it's all bagged up and your ready to go! They are so quick it's as if they can't wait to kick you out the door!:icon_lol: But would I rather wait three hours?:Erm: Well of course not!:icon_lol:

I thought you won't mind waiting, specially if the 3 girls at the till were chinese hotties, lol just kidding nigel :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

nigel
5th July 2009, 14:07
I thought you won't mind waiting, specially if the 3 girls at the till were chinese hotties, lol just kidding nigel :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Hehehe you are right really, last week I gave my Vimvies friends a lift home...so I had phwoar Filipina's...I mean four Filipina's in my car! They said "Are you ok taking us home?" And Vimvie said "Don't worry it's a dream come true for him!" :cwm34:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
5th July 2009, 14:10
Hehehe you are right really, last week I gave my Vimvies friends a lift home...so I had phwoar Filipina's...I mean four Filipina's in my car! They said "Are you ok taking us home?" And Vimvie said "Don't worry it's a dream come true for him!" :cwm34:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

hahahahaha, your vimvie got a nice sense of humor huh :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
and obvioulsy she knows you too well already specially your "asian beauties" fettish, lol :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

nigel
5th July 2009, 14:25
hahahahaha, your vimvie got a nice sense of humor huh :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
and obvioulsy she knows you too well already specially your "asian beauties" fettish, lol :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:Yep, she knows what I'm like!:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

angel1231
5th July 2009, 16:19
its because anti wrinkles are very expensive ....so we rather smile often and take the wrinkles away and make you happy too........:):):):)

great to be back here at the forum :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

tomm
5th July 2009, 23:22
Simple answer... wind :rolleyes:

Fitzy
8th July 2009, 07:14
Filipina smile comes from within the heart..Its rooted in our culture , taught by parents to greet at first by a "smile" . That's why we have this ' Filipino Hospitality"

I agree with you mostly, as I have been there twice, however was not the case with my EX mother in law to be, lol
I am returning in August for a fresh start, and the future looks pretty good for me.
As you say, I find nearl all Filipino people most accomodating and helpful, and I always arrive there with a smile, in the knowledge that I will be warmly greeted.:)