PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn Tagalog...any advice?

nigel
6th July 2009, 22:00
Have any Brit guys successfully learned Tagalog? I want to learn it fluently..:Erm:

The only thing I can say is "Ako ay pangit panot!":icon_lol:

A few other things aswell maybe but...

Is there a recommended way of learning?:rolleyes:

Salamat in advance..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs.JMajor
6th July 2009, 22:03
Simple, ask your wife, oh god :doh no cost of money tagalog version : SIMPLE, TANONGIN MO ASAWA MO, WALA KA PANG GASTOS LOL

Ana_may365
6th July 2009, 22:09
i give u an example british knows how to speak tagalog fluently,like TAWI2:D:D
my hubby know also 1 word in tagalog,and its 'MAHAL KITA'which is i love it to hear:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D:D:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Alan
6th July 2009, 22:10
Learn French instead!

Al.:)

P.S. Lessons given!:D

Mrs.JMajor
6th July 2009, 22:11
Nigel, my hubby doesnt want to learn tagalog at all, he said he is not gonna earn money by speaking tagalog, but English yes, lol

joebloggs
6th July 2009, 22:20
don't bother(watch football or tennis or goto the pub), do what i did, give the misses an Oxford dictionary for her birthday :xxgrinning--00xx3: but make sure its the concise version so it doesn't hurt so much when she throws it at you :cwm3:

nigel
6th July 2009, 22:21
Learn French instead!

Al.:)

P.S. Lessons given!:DWhat? And sound like Inspector Clueso?:icon_lol: "And do something about your filthy monkey!"

nigel
6th July 2009, 22:25
Salamat/Thanks for your replies guys and girls but I was hoping someone could recommend a dvd or something?:rolleyes:

I have CD-ROM that is helpful and an audio CD already..but it's still not doing it for me..:Erm: Does nobody know of any classes I can go to?:rolleyes:

joebloggs
6th July 2009, 22:36
Salamat/Thanks for your replies guys and girls but I was hoping someone could recommend a dvd or something?:rolleyes:

I have CD-ROM that is helpful and an audio CD already..but it's still not doing it for me..:Erm: Does nobody know of any classes I can go to?:rolleyes:

probably the best teaching s/w is Rosetta stone, try b4 u buy :D find it on your favourite torrent site :rolleyes:

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-tagalog

smiler78
6th July 2009, 22:37
Try the website BYKI . com , http://www.byki.com/ they have free programs to download for lots of languages including tagalog, seems really good so far just need to find more time for it.

Good luck!!

Sophie
6th July 2009, 22:52

you can try an English-Filipino dictionary so you can get the tagalog/filipino translation of every english word you're interested to know....

Arthur Little
6th July 2009, 23:33
i give u an example british knows how to speak tagalog fluently,like TAWI2:D:D

:gp: ... Oddly enough Ana_may, Tawi2 was the first person that sprang to MY mind, too!! Alas he's gone 'AWOL', and quite a number of us have, within the past hour or two, been trying hard to locate the guy's present whereabouts ...

GaryFifer
6th July 2009, 23:58
Two books i would recommend Nigel.

1 Basic Tagalog for Foreigners and Non-Tagalogs by Paraluman S. Aspillera.
2 Tagalog-English English Tagalog (Pilipino) Dictionary by Carl R. Galvez Rubino

The Basic tagalog is great and see if you can get it with the CD. I hear it has editions with the CD but i never got one!

Vowels are pronounced like:

a as in ask, grass, alms, far
e as in end, carpet
i as in eve, mete
o as in obey, tobacco
u as in food, moon

This is hard to master unless you practice with your mahal

Then Consonants Ba Ka Da Ga Ha La Ma Na NGa Pa Ra Sa Ta Wa Ya

Ng reminds me of monty python for some reason...the knights who ni. maybe thats just my strange sense of humour.

The Dictionary is big and fully comprehensive and uses more advanced things than the basics.

Ana_may365
7th July 2009, 06:56
:gp: ... Oddly enough Ana_may, Tawi2 was the first person that sprang to MY mind, too!! Alas he's gone 'AWOL', and quite a number of us have, within the past hour or two, been trying hard to locate the guy's present whereabouts ...

dont worry arthur,i think hes in honeymoon:Erm::Erm:maybe somebody out there who catch his :cwm38: already:omg::icon_lol:
hes comeback one day:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

vbkelly
7th July 2009, 10:25
my husband knows tagalog and visayan and he's very proud to speaks our language but sometime we argue a lot if i teach him bcoz our form of sentences is back to front hehe

charlwill
7th July 2009, 10:45
I never have taught my husband how to speak tagalog or even my own native language which is Ilonggo. But sometimes I've got shocked when he tries to ask me for "a cup of tea" because he said it in tagalog correctly and perfectly and no accent at all. I asked him when and how did he learn tagalog and he simply reply I have "Rosetta Stone" tagalog audio book in my iPOD. So, he learn it by listening to that. He knows now, if I'm angry cause Im counting him from 1 to 10 but the sad factor is I will starting in 1 and he will finish the counting until he reach 10.

meandwifey
7th July 2009, 12:36
i cant wait to learn tagalog , anne will teach me when she arrives here , as we both want to teach our children to speak both english and tagalog

as for now i have learnt a little and this is enough to make any filipina happy

mahal kita = i love you

mahal din kita = i love you too

mahal n mahal kita = i love you so much

mahal kita asawa ko = i love you my wife

ko = my ( but as you have noticed it is placed after wife instead of before like u would expect in english , using this knowledge u will find it easy to construct a sentence in tagalog :)

NtoN
7th July 2009, 16:35
[QUOTE=charlwill;150019]I never have taught my husband how to speak tagalog or even my own native language which is Ilonggo.

Hi Charlwill! Firstly, my apologies to Nigel for posting this message here. I'm just happy knowing about your dialect which is Ilonggo as I myself can speak it with fluency. I have worked in Iloilo for 2yrs back in 2005-2007. Halong! Salamat gid! (Take care & ThankU) :Hellooo:

lavander
7th July 2009, 17:21
Is there a recommended way of learning?:rolleyes:

Salamat in advance..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

How about get a tip from Tawi2x????

...peace tawi ...its just not normal not having u around....
gising na po... :D

joebloggs
7th July 2009, 17:59
i cant wait to learn tagalog , anne will teach me when she arrives here , as we both want to teach our children to speak both english and tagalog

as for now i have learnt a little and this is enough to make any filipina happy

mahal kita = i love you

mahal din kita = i love you too

mahal n mahal kita = i love you so much

mahal kita asawa ko = i love you my wife

ko = my ( but as you have noticed it is placed after wife instead of before like u would expect in english , using this knowledge u will find it easy to construct a sentence in tagalog :)

the only tag word you need to know and fear is 'pera' :cwm24:

meandwifey
7th July 2009, 18:19
the only tag word you need to know and fear is 'pera' :cwm24:

nooooooo!

i dont want to hear it :NoNo:

bornatbirth
7th July 2009, 18:57
too late for me,my wife as already spent it!

nigel
7th July 2009, 19:38
:Erm: What is pera? :Erm:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 19:41

money money :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bornatbirth
7th July 2009, 19:41

nigel,you did marry a filipina didnt you? then ask her :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ask her what bolbol is too! :D

jimcarie
7th July 2009, 19:48

:REGamblMoney01HL1:

joebloggs
7th July 2009, 19:52
:REGamblMoney01HL1:

maybe the only tag word a brit guy learns, and never forgets :doh

i've learn't to my cost, don't go the same way :cwm24:

:icon_lol:

meandwifey
7th July 2009, 20:16

is this another word we need to fear ? :D

Sophie
7th July 2009, 20:50
is this another word we need to fear ? :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

jimeve
7th July 2009, 21:01

pubic hair, thats bisaya aswell:Rasp:

nigel
7th July 2009, 21:06
Hahahahahaha I thought "pera" might have something to do with virginity or criminal record or something...:icon_lol:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 21:16
Hahahahahaha I thought "pera" might have something to do with virginity or criminal record or something...:icon_lol:

so does this mean you are more scared of this 2?:Erm::Erm::Erm::omg::omg::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

meandwifey
8th July 2009, 06:18

anne speaking now!

bastos!! hahahahahaha you really make me laugh:cwm12:

fred
8th July 2009, 09:37

Thats why I try to memorize whole sentences instead of individual words.
Still dont really know that much but can go to any sari sari in the land and ask for cold SMB with words in correct order...
Im really proud of myself!

meandwifey
8th July 2009, 09:59

hmmmmm :NoNo:

virginity and criminal record in the same sentence nigel ? is there something your not telling us ? :yikes: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

meandwifey
8th July 2009, 10:02
Still dont really know that much but can go to any sari sari in the land and ask for cold SMB with words in correct order...
Im really proud of myself!

me too ... "one san miguel please" :icon_lol:

fred
8th July 2009, 10:03
me too ... "one san miguel please" :icon_lol:

Ano????

meandwifey
8th July 2009, 10:15
Ano????

anne speaking here...

SMB mean san Miguel beer... hehehe everyones favorite drink! hahahahaha i hope there's an SMB there, so we can all meet and have a drink! hahahaha

meandwifey
8th July 2009, 10:27
anne speaking here...

SMB mean san Miguel beer... hehehe everyones favorite drink! hahahahaha i hope there's an SMB there, so we can all meet and have a drink! hahahaha

i think he already knows that baby , haha , i think the humour was lost on both of you :P