PDA

View Full Version : BBC in Filipno racist Gaffe

cebured
6th July 2009, 22:50
Did anyone see the Torchwood prgramme tonight?
One of the actresses referred to "adopting a filipino boy to clean the chimneys"

I immediately complained to the BBC. This is racism at worst & poor taste stereotyping at best - there was no need for it.

Come on guys- look at it on I-player & get your complaints in now.

joebloggs
6th July 2009, 22:54
why Filipino ? what's the Philippines got to do with chimney sweeps :Erm:, cheap labour ? why not china or india then ??

100 years ago, we use to use scouser kids to do it near me :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
6th July 2009, 23:50
why Filipino ? what's the Philippines got to do with chimney sweeps :Erm:, cheap labour ? why not china or india then ??

Exactly! :iagree:

100 years ago, we use to use scouser kids to do it near me :rolleyes:

Near YOU? 100 years ago? ... :yikes: ... hadn't realised you were THAT old, Joe!

GaryFifer
7th July 2009, 00:09
Yeah they should have said a long tall skinny comedian called Brand is good for cleaning muck out of Chimney I think thats how his hair got like that!
http://images.celeb9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/russell_brand.jpg

MarBell379
7th July 2009, 00:30
I'm not sure I'd regard that as intentioanlly racist.
Stereotyping, yes, but most of us do that on a regualr basis without even realising it.

While it may be politically more accurate, I'm not sure that "adopting a filipino, chinese, indian, african or otherwise underpriveleged boy to clean the chimneys" would be any more acceptable, and certainly not dramatically effective, or reflective of how people generally speak.

NB - I havent yet seen the program but will hopefully watch it tomorrow on iplayer - I quite like Torchwood normally.

KeithD
7th July 2009, 08:40
Oh for God's sake, I said some idiots would pull this up today. It's an off the cuff remark based on the assumptions in this country that folk from the Philippines do slave labour around the world....which they basically do....FACT :doh

I found it amusing, and so did the wife.

bornatbirth
7th July 2009, 13:22
i married my wife to clean the chimneys :D but i have house with no chimneys :Erm: :icon_lol:

and also i never knew they was good as chimney sweeps!

i saw the show and was more concerned with the gay guy acting tough.

Jay&Zobel
7th July 2009, 14:02
Alien Invasion :8_1_215::8_1_215::Erm:

Hmmm... a bit racist but more of a stereotyping I must say...

Sophie
7th July 2009, 15:26
Yeah they should have said a long tall skinny comedian called Brand is good for cleaning muck out of Chimney I think thats how his hair got like that!
http://images.celeb9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/russell_brand.jpg

hey, i like him, he's a funny guy :xxgrinning--00xx3: along with alan carr :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 15:36
Oh for God's sake, I said some idiots would pull this up today. It's an off the cuff remark based on the assumptions in this country that folk from the Philippines do slave labour around the world....which they basically do....FACT :doh

I found it amusing, and so did the wife.

Yeah, some may find this as stereotyping or racism or whatever it's called, but there's some truth to it,
and we cannot deny the fact that philippines is a 3rd world country so other people may have that kind of assumption....
I noticed we tend get over sensitive about small and silly remarks or jokes made about our country,
but i guess sometimes we just have to brush off and ignore trivial stuff, laugh it off and move on....

Jay&Zobel
7th July 2009, 15:43
hey, i like him, he's a funny guy :xxgrinning--00xx3: along with alan carr :xxgrinning--00xx3:

he's not!! lol :NoNo::D

Sophie
7th July 2009, 15:53
he's not!! lol :NoNo::D

LOL, which one among the two? or both of them? :D:D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

ukgangster
7th July 2009, 15:56
Russel Brand - About as funny as Gordon Brown. He's a grade one dipstick. As for Alan Carr, the less he squeaks the better. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jay&Zobel
7th July 2009, 15:56
LOL, which one among the two? or both of them? :D:D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

the one in the pic! lol/// :D or shall I say hehe both of them aren't...lol

Sophie
7th July 2009, 15:59
the one in the pic! lol/// :D or shall I say hehe both of them aren't...lol

hehehe, i know what you mean, lol :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:
maybe i'm already starting to embrace and enjoy the british sense of humor (if they are considered as one, lol) :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

aromulus
7th July 2009, 16:28

I am really worried about your well being....:doh

KeithD
7th July 2009, 16:44
Her well is a 'being'.....back to aliens :omg:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 17:19

well, i just find some of his humor funny, nothing to do with my well being :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

and for the record, i find what russel did in radio 2 show before not amusing at all,
and i'm not even here yet when that happened, my hubby just told me about it.....
my basis for saying he is funny, was his stand up comedy routine that i saw on tv when i got here 3 months ago,
and based on that, i find some of his humor funny and hilarious, some are nasty but i don't mind, i just laughed it off :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
as with alan carr, well, i just find his stand up comedy stunts funny and hilarious as well, i can't help it, lol :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 17:22
Her well is a 'being'.....back to aliens :omg:

then back to the boss :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 18:04
I'm not sure I'd regard that as intentioanlly racist.
Stereotyping, yes, but most of us do that on a regualr basis without even realising it.

I totally agree on this one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

adam&chryss
7th July 2009, 18:34
i married my wife to clean the chimneys :D but i have house with no chimneys :Erm: :icon_lol:

and also i never knew they was good as chimney sweeps!

i saw the show and was more concerned with the gay guy acting tough.

I agree, never heard of a filipino chimneysweep.
Filipino nurses or caregivers would be more accurate im sure :Rasp:

nigel
7th July 2009, 19:11
I think the guy has got a point...I'm not going to deny that Filipino's are working as nurses/maids/carers in many places...there is nothing wrong with it as such....whats wrong is when people talk and act as if Filipino's are only good for this kind of thing, it's not right! It's oppression!:yikes:

I get saddened when I hear Filipino's say I could be a maid..a waitress/waiter...a carer/nurse....there is nothing wrong with this as such but, why not manager of multimillion pound company? Why not an Estate Agent? etc..In my experience Filipino's can be very educated, I've spoke to children in Philippines that are more educated and intelligent than me...

I once started the thread "The Filipina Maid Mentality" and I'm not sure you guys understood what I was getting at...Is the Filipino modesty really an oppression?:Erm: I sometimes feel it might be..:bigcry:

Sophie
7th July 2009, 19:36
Is the Filipino modesty really an oppression?:Erm: I sometimes feel it might be..:bigcry:

In some way, yeah, i think so too................

trader dave
7th July 2009, 23:22
its a joke lang :icon_lol::icon_lol: some find it funny others dont:doh

if it was said on philippine tv noboby would be phoning up to complain ,because as someone said cheap labour ,slave labour ,human rights does not exist YET:omg::omg::Erm:

pennybarry
8th July 2009, 05:57
That's not new with BBC. I can't remember if they have programme that gives compliments to us and our country. :NoNo:

KeithD
8th July 2009, 08:58
That's not new with BBC. I can't remember if they have programme that gives compliments to us and our country. :NoNo:
:Erm: They had a program on the Philippines a couple of months back, and as I said, the Philippine people put themselves into the world market as general cheap labour. For every skilled Filipino abroad, over 100 are maids, nannies, working in ships bellies, etc.

Most countries have labels, France....cowards....(also works for Italians as well :icon_lol:)....Holland....sex......Germans.....war.......but go to Europe and mention the English, the only responce you get is drunken hooligans. Not nice, they've probably never been here, but abroad it is the truth based on what our younger folk do.

aromulus
8th July 2009, 09:10
As it happened in the past, I am half expecting the Ambassador to complain bitterly and ban every BBC presenter, actor, producer and executive from entering the Philippines as undesirables......:icon_lol::icon_lol:

fred
8th July 2009, 09:28
I once started the thread "The Filipina Maid Mentality" and I'm not sure you guys understood what I was getting at...Is the Filipino modesty really an oppression?:Erm: I sometimes feel it might be..:bigcry:
Nothing to do with modesty..Its just them being realistic about their job prospects abroad.
Filipino`s are no longer thought as by many companies of being the cheapest world labour these days and that's why the Indians have replaced them in countries like Saudi and Dubai. Get real.

Jay&Zobel
8th July 2009, 12:31
:Erm: They had a program on the Philippines a couple of months back, and as I said, the Philippine people put themselves into the world market as general cheap labour. For every skilled Filipino abroad, over 100 are maids, nannies, working in ships bellies, etc.

AT LEAST HEHE, It only means Filipinos are hardworking and not couch potatoes hahaha...:Erm: think about it:Erm:
It's quite positive you see hahaha:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:Erm: Most countries have labels,
France....cowards....(also works for Italians as well :icon_lol:)....
Holland....sex......
Germans.....war.......but go to
Europe and mention the English, the only responce you get is drunken hooligans.
Not nice, they've probably never been here, but abroad it is the truth based on what our younger folk do.

:Britain::Beer::Beer::party-smiley-012::party-smiley-012: YEP, I TOTALLY AGREE!! but what about those Brits who were caught in Dubai beach having :censored:? What do you call them? :omg::D SAD REALLY!!!

:Erm: Not nice, they've probably never been here, but abroad it is the truth based on what our younger folk do.

Are you that old now? :D

bornatbirth
8th July 2009, 13:38
What do you call them? [/B]:omg::D SAD REALLY!!!

horny? :D

trader dave
8th July 2009, 14:28
horny? :D

tight kurypot cant rent a room for a few hours:icon_lol::Erm: