PDA

View Full Version : Entry into Eire

deckard97f
9th July 2009, 11:26
My wife is on a settlement visa, can she enter Eire or does she need a Schengen visa?

Any ideas

Deck

Arthur Little
9th July 2009, 11:44
My wife is on a settlement visa, can she enter Eire or does she need a Schengen visa?

Any ideas

Deck

As Eire is the :irish: Gaelic name for the Republic of Ireland ... and thus, no longer part of the United Kingdom ... I should IMAGINE so, though cannot be absolutely certain. Others might be able to tell you for definite, however.

aromulus
9th July 2009, 11:48

Any ideas

Deck

"To be sure, to be sure", I would phone the Embassy and try to get some sense out of them directly, as I can't find anything by googling.:doh

Please share your findings, as I was thinking of taking Jet to the Emerald Isle myself in future, or as soon as I get my Consulate to release my new passport....:furious3:

darren-b
9th July 2009, 11:48
To legally enter Eire she needs a visa. I believe it needs to be issued by the Irish government as they are not part of the schengen travel zone.

Arthur Little
9th July 2009, 12:06
To legally enter Eire she needs a *visa. I believe it needs to be *issued by the Irish government as they are not part of the schengen travel zone.

For the record ... HOW much does *THAT cost? :cwm24: ... since there's [usually] a price to be paid!

johncar54
9th July 2009, 13:22
To legally enter Eire she needs a visa. I believe it needs to be issued by the Irish government as they are not part of the schengen travel zone.

As above,, Eire is not part of Schengen. My wife has Schengen Residencia thus can travel to any Schengen country, she cannot go to UK, Gibraltar nor Eire

However, although UK is a 'pain the butt' when I called the Irish (southern) Government I was told as I am British we can make the application in the post and again because I am British my wife's visa would be free. Not 100 euros for a one entry to UK or 150 euros for Gib.

vbkelly
9th July 2009, 14:17

Any ideas

Deck

if your wife have a british settlement visa she can enter in northern ireland and she need schengen visa if your going to republic of ireland.

johncar54
9th July 2009, 14:43
if your wife have a british settlement visa she can enter in northern ireland and she need schengen visa if your going to republic of ireland.

These are Schengen Countries:

Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark
Estonia Finland France Germany
Greece Hungary Iceland Italy
Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta
Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden

I REPEAT THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE EIRE

vbkelly
9th July 2009, 15:10
These are Schengen Countries:

Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark
Estonia Finland France Germany
Greece Hungary Iceland Italy
Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta
Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden

I REPEAT THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE EIRE

northern ireland is part of uk, coz i went there with my philippines passport i've flew in belfast and they don't ask me for a visa

Arthur Little
9th July 2009, 15:46
northern ireland is part of uk, coz i went there with my philippines passport i've flew in belfast and they don't ask me for a visa

Yes, NORTHERN Ireland is part of the UK. But Eire is NOT! :NoNo: It is the Irish Gaelic term for the *REPUBLIC of Ireland ... which is a *SEPARATE country ... as I specifically stipulated earlier in my initial response to Deck's query, and John Carr has also since reiterated!

trader dave
9th July 2009, 16:13
as already stated nothern ireland is part of the uk no visa needed for your wife :cwm34:

southern ireland [the republic ] she should have a visa:xxgrinning--00xx3: i say should because you both can fly to befast hire a car then drive through the border to the south the border is virtualy none existent now days:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
9th July 2009, 16:24
as already stated nothern ireland is part of the uk no visa needed for your wife :cwm34:

southern ireland [the republic ] she should have a visa:xxgrinning--00xx3: i say should because you both can fly to befast hire a car then drive through the border to the south the border is virtualy none existent now days:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I would not recommend anyone breaking the law, especially when it maybe obtaining the visa can be done in the post and its free. If you break the law, first you could be in trouble this time and any other applications for visa to anywhere may prove harder o obtain.

Why don't don't you call the Irish Consulate and ask?

INFO

Irish Consulate London:-

17 Grosvenor Place,
London SW1X 7HR
Telephone: 020 – 7235 2171
Fax: 020 – 7245 6961
Opening Hours: Monday – Friday 9:30am – 5:30am
Passport and Visa Office

For information about applying for a visa to travel to Ireland or for a Working Holiday Authorisation (Australian Nationals only), please see the Visa pages of the Embassy website. You should check the "Frequently Asked Questions" page before you send your query as you may find the answer you need the

vbkelly
9th July 2009, 16:25
Yes, NORTHERN Ireland is part of the UK. But Eire is NOT! :NoNo: It is the Irish Gaelic term for the *REPUBLIC of Ireland ... which is a *SEPARATE country ... as I specifically stipulated earlier in my initial response to Deck's query, and John Carr has also since reiterated!

yeah Eire means Ireland in gealic coz my husband's family from there REPUBLIC OF IRELAND in Buncrana.

southern ireland [the republic ] she should have a visa i say should because you both can fly to befast hire a car then drive through the border to the south the border is virtualy none existent now days

yeah but be aware of check point in the boarder

trader dave
9th July 2009, 16:41
I would not recommend anyone breaking the law, especially when it maybe obtaining the visa can be done in the post and its free. If you break the law, first you could be in trouble this time and any other applications for visa to anywhere may prove harder o obtain.

Why don't don't you call the Irish Consulate and ask?

INFO

Irish Consulate London:-

17 Grosvenor Place,
London SW1X 7HR
Telephone: 020 – 7235 2171
Fax: 020 – 7245 6961
Opening Hours: Monday – Friday 9:30am – 5:30am
Passport and Visa Office

For information about applying for a visa to travel to Ireland or for a Working Holiday Authorisation (Australian Nationals only), please see the Visa pages of the Embassy website. You should check the "Frequently Asked Questions" page before you send your query as you may find the answer you need the

having been a frequent traveller to ireland for fishing my first filipina wife used to come we would travel across the border quite reguarly only ever being stopped once and they was not interested that my wife only had a philippine passport :Erm::icon_lol:

BUT AS EVERYONE SAYS SHOULD HAVE A VISA :doh:doh

Tiggers0608
9th July 2009, 17:13
If your wife have a UK spouse visa, she can enter north ireland but not ireland, but some people just go there without visa :doh

But just make sure that u got a visa b4 visiting ireland as they said their strict now (but not sure anyways) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

good luck, just phone their embassy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mike1
9th July 2009, 17:17
Yes,legally she needs a visa ,you can fly via Belfast -which is uk- and drive in to the republic ,no border control for the past few years,but its not worth it as the visa is easy enough to get , cost nothing and can be applied for through the postal system , we just got one recently :xxgrinning--00xx3: