PDA

View Full Version : The Most Ridiculous Filipina "Old Wives Tale" I've Heard

Jamesey
11th July 2009, 18:15
This one is brilliant! My wife even hesitated to tell me because she realises how silly it is! :Rasp:

When he woke up the other day, our baby son had some hair on the back of his head stuck together.

"Oh dear", exclaimed my wife. "He's been visited by dwarves and they've been playing with his hair and twisting it together!"

I just cracked up. That's the funniest one I've ever heard! :3:

My previous favourite was "if you go to bed with wet hair, you'll wake up blind", but this one is much better! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alec&Davina
11th July 2009, 18:47
This one is brilliant! My wife even hesitated to tell me because she realises how silly it is! :Rasp:

When he woke up the other day, our baby son had some hair on the back of his head stuck together.

"Oh dear", exclaimed my wife. "He's been visited by dwarves and they've been playing with his hair and twisting it together!"

My previous favourite was "if you go to bed with wet hair, you'll wake up blind", but this one is much better! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

oh aye, we have loads of different superstitous belief in the Philippines. but I havent heard yet with the first one u mentioned.

but with the second i was brought up with that kind of belief.:doh:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Jay&Zobel
11th July 2009, 19:22

oh aye, we have loads of different superstitous belief in the Philippines. but I havent heard yet with the first one u mentioned.

but with the second i was brought up with that kind of belief.:doh:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol:

hahaha... tell me more about it!! :doh:omg::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

KeithD
11th July 2009, 19:31
I used to be told that if I run around the garden naked I'd be arrested.....haven't been caught yet :Cuckoo:

Jay&Zobel
11th July 2009, 19:37
I used to be told that if I run around the garden naked I'd be arrested.....haven't been caught yet :Cuckoo:

Are you sure? Check google earth (street view) :omg::xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

charlwill
11th July 2009, 21:17

Ha ha ha. there is one as well. Don't trim finger nails at night because it is bad. Someone might die. Lol, but of course it's not true.

Pepe n Pilar
11th July 2009, 22:14
Nice thread Jamesey!!!.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I have heard this from my grandmother - refrain from sweeping the floor at night because luck will be swept out of the house...:D

Alan
11th July 2009, 22:17
Rubbing mango chutney on your front door will stop elephants from entering your house. (Works for me!)

Al.:)

Sophie
11th July 2009, 22:18

LOL, i've already heard about this myth of "going to bed with wet hair" stuff but this is the first time i've heard about the dwarf playing on a baby's hair :Erm::D:D

bornatbirth
11th July 2009, 22:50
when i was young i thought santa was real??

Sophie
11th July 2009, 23:09
when i was young, i thought "tooth fairy" was real, lol, i didn't know it's my mom :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Alec&Davina
11th July 2009, 23:12
yeah tooth fairies and santa.lol

Jay&Zobel
11th July 2009, 23:16
yeah tooth fairies and santa.lol

false hopes ... :NoNo::NoNo::D

tiN
11th July 2009, 23:21
very funny this one :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

trader dave
11th July 2009, 23:32
dont forget the sandman :NoNo:

Sophie
11th July 2009, 23:38
dont forget the sandman :NoNo:

lol, scary one :D:D

eagles
12th July 2009, 00:18
Oh when we had a house blessings...we throw out coins, eat jackfruit... etc to bring luck

Alan
12th July 2009, 02:02
Oh when we had a house blessings...we throw out coins, eat jackfruit... etc to bring luck

Can you throw some coins to me please? Or preferably notes. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
12th July 2009, 09:34
Not long after my wife arrived here we had a Chinese takeaway. Once I had finished eating mine and cleared the plate, my wife decided that she couln't eat any more and asked me if I wanted her leftovers. I said yes and took her plate with the leftovers, put it on top of my empty plate and started to eat.

My wife grabbed both plates from me and had a bitof a fit, so I asked what was wrong. She said that if I eat from one plate on top of someone elses empty plate, this means I'll run off with another woman. :Erm::Erm::Erm:
Iain.

Alan
12th July 2009, 09:52
Not long after my wife arrived here we had a Chinese takeaway. Once I had finished eating mine and cleared the plate, my wife decided that she couln't eat any more and asked me if I wanted her leftovers. I said yes and took her plate with the leftovers, put it on top of my empty plate and started to eat.

My wife grabbed both plates from me and had a bitof a fit, so I asked what was wrong. She said that if I eat from one plate on top of someone elses empty plate, this means I'll run off with another woman. :Erm::Erm::Erm:
Iain.

What's her name Iain?:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 09:53

Iain.

Lol, this is funny :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
But i've heard of something else about this "plate on top of each other" stuff,
they said that if someone is still eating and the others are already finished and clearing up the table
and if they put their used plates on top of each other for washing, the woman who is still eating will not be able to marry :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
how strange is that, lol :doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 09:54

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Alec&Davina
12th July 2009, 10:06
Lol, this is funny :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
But i've heard of something else about this "plate on top of each other" stuff,
they said that if someone is still eating and the others are already finished and clearing up the table
and if they put their used plates on top of each other for washing, the woman who is still eating will not be able to marry :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
how strange is that, lol :doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

yeah Ive heard tis one too Sophie.:icon_lol::icon_lol:

also if u're all eating in a table and one person decided to leave u have to turn the plate to make sure he will be safe..:doh

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 10:10
Three that stand out,dont have sex during pregnancy or the baby will have dandruff :Erm:Dont take a shower as soon as you arrive home after a hot day or it will affect your eyesight :Erm: Dont sleep under one of those huge banyan trees as the spirits that live there will enter your mind :Erm::NoNo:

meandwifey
12th July 2009, 10:22
wifey warned me about eating late at night , she tells me dont go to sleep for at least an hour after you have eaten or you will have bad dreams that you wont wake from :omg:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 13:43
yeah Ive heard tis one too Sophie.:icon_lol::icon_lol:

also if u're all eating in a table and one person decided to leave u have to turn the plate to make sure he will be safe..:doh

LOL, i've heard of this one too :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 13:47
wifey warned me about eating late at night , she tells me dont go to sleep for at least an hour after you have eaten or you will have bad dreams that you wont wake from :omg:

Oh i've heard this one too, that if you eat too much or so stuffed just before you go to bed, you would have nightmares :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

gracia143
12th July 2009, 13:53
Oh i've heard this one too, that if you eat too much or so stuffed just before you go to bed, you would have nightmares :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

...and eventually die of bangungot???:omg:

Florge
12th July 2009, 13:57
This is funny! Specially that of Ian's... lol

Would like to share a quick list of some Filipino superstitions:

* If you cut yourself on Good Friday, the cut will take months to heal.
* If you have sex on Good Friday, you will never be able to extract your penis, remaining joined until you die.
* If you bbq or fry food on Good Friday, you will get black freckles on your face.
* Don't go to a baptism when pregnant or the two kids will be enemies.
* Don't clip fingernails at night or you will have a fight with your parents.
* Don't bathe when you are menstruating or your ovaries will be damaged by the water.
* If you are a virgin, don't sing while cooking or you will marry an old man.
* If you eat bananas when pregnant, you will have twins.
* If your baby is always sick, you must change his name.
* If you see a monkey when pregnant, your child will be wild. Seeing or hearing about any animal will make your child resemble that animal.
* If you dream of losing your teeth, a family member will die.
* Don't sweep the house at night or you sweep away the blessings.
* If someone leave the dinner table, turn your plate around or you will not have food soon.
* Say a special phrase "Porya Gaba" when throwing away discarded rice or you will lose all your money and never have rice again.
* Sighing while eating causes your spirit to starve. The solution is to force the person to eat a great deal of food immediately.
* Don't kill ants in your house. They are a sign of a happy family.
* All houses and vehicles must be blessed by a priest or they will be destroyed by the devil.
* Pink eye can be cured with breast milk or with the first urine in the morning.
* Virgins do get pregnant from swimming pools and public baths.
* During a girl's first menstruation, she must be careful not to step in animal waste, or her mense blood will always smell awful. During the first menstruation, a girl should rub tomato on her face to ensure she always has soft skin. Blood from the first menstruation cures pimples if rubbed on one's face.
* Birth control pills and semen build up inside the vagina, requiring periodic cleaning by a doctor. (More: Birth control pills cause cancer. Birth control pills taken before a first pregnancy make you infertile. Birth control pills make you fat. Birth control pills make your breasts grow. All filipinas are allergic to condoms.)

Funny but true... and some of us believes in some of them... LOL

Sophie
12th July 2009, 13:57
...and eventually die of bangungot???:omg:

exactly, lol :xxgrinning--00xx3: I can't even believe i bought this one back in childhood, as i used to be really scared to go to bed stuffed back then lol :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:03
I heard the bangungot(nightmare) one in Siquijor,thats got to be the most superstitious place of them all :icon_lol:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 14:07
Speaking of siquijor, is it true that there are "aswangs" there?? lol
or is it in capiz??? :Erm::Erm::Erm::D:D:D

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:10
The aswangs,balbals,wakwaks,mananangals etc are all siquijodnon :icon_lol:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 14:12
The aswangs,balbals,wakwaks,mananangals etc are all siquijodnon :icon_lol:

LOL, thats scary :yikes::omg::yikes::omg::omg::yikes:
but maybe its just a myth, i don't believe any of this creatures exist at all :D:D

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:19
Siquijor is a very,very strange place indeed :omg: I saw the flicker of flames,some sort of Pyre through the trees one night,maybe 2am as I was walking around and heard a scream which made my neck hairs stand on end and curdled my blood,I also saw St Elmos fire there once,which could be why the spaniards called it isla del fuego?:Erm:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 14:31
LOL, that's creepy indeed :omg::omg::yikes::yikes::D:D

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:36
All the locals used to tell me about the Puti-babae who wandered around the local cemetery in Larena,I went there on the stroke of midnight once on my own,its right next to the cockfighting arena just outside town off the road to siquijor town,I honestly didnt see a thing,nothing,even though it was a full moon,but I did smell the stench of death,I thought maybe a body?I returned the next day to look around and found the corpse of a dead dog bloated almost to bursting point by expanding gases and the heat of the sun :vomit-smiley-011:

Florge
12th July 2009, 14:37
you have seen a Santilmo? wow! how cool is that? did you light a match? my grandma said that's how you get rid of a santilmo... hehehe... she got that from her parents who grew up in Bohol... which is just in front of Siquijor...

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:42
I did indeed see it,in the early 1990's sitting upstairs in "Louisa&Sons" guest house in Larena with an old australian guy called Kim,sadly now dead,theres a mangrove swamp near the sea-wall,it was clearly visible,strange memories :icon_lol: I didnt light a match,but I will remember that tip in case theres a next time Florge :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 14:44
I don't believe in "puti babae" or "white lady" as well, lol :D:D

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:46
I wouldnt know about that,I walked around London last week and saw loads :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Florge
12th July 2009, 14:52
@Tawi: LOL.. yeah... match sticks will drive it away... not a lighter ok?

Got strange stories of folklore from grandparents too... my mom's dad is from Capiz.. and people say that it's where there are plenty of aswang. I hope I'm not one... lol

Sophie
12th July 2009, 14:55
@Tawi: LOL.. yeah... match sticks will drive it away... not a lighter ok?

Got strange stories of folklore from grandparents too... my mom's dad is from Capiz.. and people say that it's where there are plenty of aswang. I hope I'm not one... lol

LOL, you are way too nice and too cute to be one florge, lol :):):)

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 14:55
I always wanted to take one of those huge black power-kites shaped like a gigantic bat and fly it over one of the Siquijor villages one bright moonlit night :icon_lol: just to listen to the mananangal stories the next day :icon_lol:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 14:57
I wouldnt know about that,I walked around London last week and saw loads :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Huh???:Erm::Erm: white ladies in london??? hmmmmmm:Erm::Erm::Erm::D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 15:06
Its true,my sisters are white ladies :D

Sophie
12th July 2009, 15:10
Its true,my sisters are white ladies :D

LOL, i knew it :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
this country is full of white ladies indeed :xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D just not like the one's in siquijor though :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Florge
12th July 2009, 15:17
I always wanted to take one of those huge black power-kites shaped like a gigantic bat and fly it over one of the Siquijor villages one bright moonlit night :icon_lol: just to listen to the mananangal stories the next day :icon_lol:

oooooo... I love it!!! can I join? That could be a wonderful gimmick for my birthday, which falls on Halloween...

ooooo... still have time to prepare and rehearse and learn sky diving... :xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

Florge
12th July 2009, 15:20
oh wait... I meant kite flying! LOL...

jimeve
12th July 2009, 15:26
oh wait... I meant kite flying! LOL...

I've tried diving, aqua diving that was a long time ago thou.

Florge
12th July 2009, 15:32
I've tried diving, aqua diving that was a long time ago thou.

yeah... scuba diving is cool.. had my intro dive with my bf when he visited last month... was difficult and scary for me at first.. specially when i saw that we are about 20 feet below... will try it again soon... and going deeper this time. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 15:35
yeah... scuba diving is cool.. had my intro dive with my bf when he visited last month... was difficult and scary for me at first.. specially when i saw that we are about 20 feet below... will try it again soon... and going deeper this time. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I so envy you florge, i wish i'm as brave and fearless :bigcry:

jimeve
12th July 2009, 15:40

I did my training in a old quarry in Germany, it was pitch black and very cold, brrrr. then most dives around the Baltic sea and Holland. Can't dive no more because of a ruptured ear drum.:bigcry:

Florge
12th July 2009, 16:21
I so envy you florge, i wish i'm as brave and fearless :bigcry:

You are... just have to do it slowly... try snorkeling at first... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Florge
12th July 2009, 16:23
I did my training in a old quarry in Germany, it was pitch black and very cold, brrrr. then most dives around the Baltic sea and Holland. Can't dive no more because of a ruptured ear drum.:bigcry:

:omg:wow! I would assume that you must've been below 60 feet! a master diver? :)

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 16:24
Before SCUBA comes snorkelling,before snorkelling comes drowning :bigcry::ARsurrender: dont get out of your depth if your not comfortable.

jimeve
12th July 2009, 16:55
:omg:wow! I would assume that you must've been below 60 feet! a master diver? :)

No, the water was murky ( lots of sediment) dirty in other words. vis was one inch, cound'nt see my hand in front of the mask.

IainBusby
12th July 2009, 17:48

She didn't tell me who I'd run away with, but if she hadn't snatched the plate se seemed convinced it would definitely happen. :Erm:

pennybarry
12th July 2009, 18:45
"if you go to bed with wet hair, you'll wake up blind",! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

How about if no hair left???:D

I heard if you let your visitors to wash plates after having a dinner in your house, the rats will start coming to your house.:D

Also heard that if snake entered your house, it is a LUCK:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I think this was true as one early morning in my bed, I've seen a long cobra inside my room. I ran as I could and my brother killed it. Then the next day I've see again 3 little cobras inside my box and ran again. :omg:
Few months later, I won 3 times in a raffle:xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you heard a lizard talking tsktsktsk, you will receive letter or maybe money:D

If you heard your dog ot neighbor's dog howling during midnight, someone will die soon:omg:

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 18:49
A lizard saying tsktsk?:Erm: What about a Tucko screaming all night long.........TUCKOOO......TUCKOOOOO......TUCKOOOOO :Erm:I was told if I picked one up bad luck would befall me :Erm: I caught one and it bit me drawing blood from my fingers :NoNo::ARsurrender:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 19:07
You are... just have to do it slowly... try snorkeling at first... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

yeah, you're right sis, no harm in trying, need to conguer my fear :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Before SCUBA comes snorkelling,before snorkelling comes drowning :bigcry::ARsurrender: dont get out of your depth if your not comfortable.

lol, very encouraging words tawi :D:D this one sure boost my confidence :bigcry::D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
12th July 2009, 19:14
I dont want to worry you Sophie,just watch out for the sharks and the sea-snakes and you will be just fine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
12th July 2009, 20:40
I dont want to worry you Sophie,just watch out for the sharks and the sea-snakes and you will be just fine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:yikes::yikes::yikes::omg::omg::omg::omg: Oh gee, that's scary, never mind then, lol :D:D:D:D:D