PDA

View Full Version : Beckham confronts fans after boos

Win2Win
20th July 2009, 14:00
David Beckham reacts angrily to a hostile reception from LA Galaxy fans during his first home game since a spell with Milan.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/8158547.stm)

GaryFifer
20th July 2009, 15:36
I do not think he was ever happy there. He should be back home in his home country. American do not understand the game. Do your talking on the field my son!

jimeve
20th July 2009, 15:42
I do not think he was ever happy there. He should be back home in his home country. American do not understand the game. Do your talking on the field my son!

on me head son.

KeithD
20th July 2009, 15:51
American do not understand the game. Do your talking on the field my son!
Actually, they do. Although it is a minority sport in the US, that still means they have 10's Millions supporters, and is the fastest growing sport.

When we came through Philidelphia the staff all knew about the Champions League Final and ManU.

beppe
20th July 2009, 16:29
David Beckham reacts angrily to a hostile reception from LA Galaxy fans during his first home game since a spell with Milan.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/8158547.stm)

Soccer players at that level are professionals, don't give damn about fans, the same applies in other sports.
High paid contracts is leitmotif.

Jay&Zobel
20th July 2009, 16:33
They didnt understand british accent? lol That's why he's unpopular haha...

adam&chryss
20th July 2009, 19:27
Who cares what those idiots think. He`s a bigger person than they are. Most are still wondering why we call it football. :Erm: Cos we use our feet to play it, divs.
They have moved on from when they hosted the world cup and their tv channels had the pitch divided into quarters :doh
Im not sure what Donovan has won either that gives him the right to question Beckhams commitment. Jealousy is a horrible thing :Rasp:

somebody
20th July 2009, 23:05
Actually, they do. Although it is a minority sport in the US, that still means they have 10's Millions supporters, and is the fastest growing sport.

When we came through Philidelphia the staff all knew about the Champions League Final and ManU.

THe hispanics love their football and slowly as they grow in number and infulence.

Plus many play watch any film or take the expression Socer mom.

Its like we all play rounders (baseball) and bull dog (american run into one another football) as kids:icon_lol:

bornatbirth
20th July 2009, 23:14
it appears more girls play than men?

naked footie anyone!

joebloggs
20th July 2009, 23:39
it appears more girls play than men?

naked footie anyone!

is it shown on freeview :rolleyes:

talking about naked and freeview, whats that partyland channel about, half naked woman on the mobile :rolleyes:

bornatbirth
20th July 2009, 23:59
i have freesat,so i cant see those channels?

are you watching them when the missus is out?

gracia143
21st July 2009, 00:50
I don't think Beckham was angry, he was asking the fans 'what do you want? and was saying 'come on' to them. The one of them jumped off the barricade, the picture showed Beckham extending his arm to shake that person's hand.

I don't know:Erm: maybe he is better off in England?

Arturo
21st July 2009, 06:18

Therein lays a conumdrum.... knowing about the Champions league and perhaps more famous thanthat... Man U, does not mean the understand football.

As for David Beckham, at the risk of sounding a name dropper.. I met the guy once - in Sainsburys doing some midnight Christmas shopping.
We passed in an isle and I joked saying, "no kicking my ankles to get past David" . He stopped and smiling said, I think I have enough pace on you to pass"! Cheeky boy!!! I joked and asked which gift in the shopping basket was for his biggest fan. He poked a finger in my gut and said.. you may be the biggest fan I have...but your getting nothing here tonight , wait for father Christmass.
By which time because he had stopped to talk..a crowd started to gather and he smiled and said "Better move while we can" and we both started walking!

He is as a person, a quiet, polite, family guy that puts up with the limelight brilliantly. On field his passion for the game flows and his heart in on his sleeve.

I can understand the LA fans - who I seem to remember - had to pay higher ticket prices after DB moved across to play there - getting upset. But they should ask how much money did LA Galaxy either make or save shunting him to Italy.
Without the clubs approval, he could not have played anywhere.

So when you say they understand football... sorry... no they dont!

I predict aftrer he stops playing a knighthood will happen and he will become some form of Ambassador for kids welfare or similar.

KeithD
21st July 2009, 08:59
Therein lays a conumdrum.... knowing about the Champions league and perhaps more famous thanthat... Man U, does not mean the understand football. .
:Erm: I picked one example, I wasn't going to list them all :doh

They have their own leagues with more employed players than we do in the UK. A lot of US players are in EU teams, and vice versa.

ESPN has just paid a fortune for the Prem League so they can show it live in the USA. A company like Disney would not do that if they didn't already know they'd make good money on it.

If the money wasn't in the game Chelsea would not be over there now.

The official US soccer web site (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thefa.com) gets at least 2X more hits than our FA (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thefa.com) one, an the former count is growing while ours is dropping.

The big names in the US constantly get 60,000 per match, more than the UK average.

The English and Spanish-language telecasts of the FIFA World Cup Final combined to attract an estimated 16.9 million American viewers, comparable to the average viewership of the World Series of Major League Baseball, so it is not really a minority sport anymore either. I bet Sky would love 16.9 million per Prem match, but they get nowhere near that.

The US televise a lot of women's football as well, in the UK harldy any, even English cricket is ahead of footy on that one.

I wonder how many Yanks you have actually spoken with about the subject of soccer, not even close to those I have I guarantee you. I actually know more English folk who know less about footy than I do Yanks.

Official Top 10 Supported teams in the World (Millions):
1) Flamengo (Brazil) - 28.299.981
2) Corinthians (Brazil) - 24.526.651
3) America (Mexico) - 18.355.494
4) Chivas (Mexico) - 17.372.164
5) Sao Paulo (Brazil) - 15.093.324
6) Boca Juniors (Argentina) - 14.657.394
7) Palmeiras (Brazil) - 13.206.658
8) River Plate (Argentina) - 11.827.501
9) Juventus (Italy) - 11.040.000
10) Olympique (France) - 10.144.000

Where are the English teams?

nigel
21st July 2009, 09:08
He came "Beck" to get them..?:Erm:

I hope he can "Beck" up these claims..?:Erm:

aromulus
21st July 2009, 09:22
He came "Beck" to get them..?:Erm:
I hope he can "Beck" up these claims..?:Erm:

Can I have some of whatever you smoke, so early, in the morning...???:Erm:

KeithD
21st July 2009, 09:31

Tea :rolleyes:

bornatbirth
21st July 2009, 09:49

best to avoid or your going to start posting jokes like nigel? :icon_lol:

KeithD
21st July 2009, 10:12
....or your going to start posting jokes like nigel? :icon_lol:
He posts jokes? :Erm:

adam&chryss
21st July 2009, 19:08
:Erm: I picked one example, I wasn't going to list them all :doh

They have their own leagues with more employed players than we do in the UK. A lot of US players are in EU teams, and vice versa.

ESPN has just paid a fortune for the Prem League so they can show it live in the USA. A company like Disney would not do that if they didn't already know they'd make good money on it.

If the money wasn't in the game Chelsea would not be over there now.

The official US soccer web site (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thefa.com) gets at least 2X more hits than our FA (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thefa.com) one, an the former count is growing while ours is dropping.

The big names in the US constantly get 60,000 per match, more than the UK average.

The English and Spanish-language telecasts of the FIFA World Cup Final combined to attract an estimated 16.9 million American viewers, comparable to the average viewership of the World Series of Major League Baseball, so it is not really a minority sport anymore either. I bet Sky would love 16.9 million per Prem match, but they get nowhere near that.

The US televise a lot of women's football as well, in the UK harldy any, even English cricket is ahead of footy on that one.

I wonder how many Yanks you have actually spoken with about the subject of soccer, not even close to those I have I guarantee you. I actually know more English folk who know less about footy than I do Yanks.

Official Top 10 Supported teams in the World (Millions):
1) Flamengo (Brazil) - 28.299.981
2) Corinthians (Brazil) - 24.526.651
3) America (Mexico) - 18.355.494
4) Chivas (Mexico) - 17.372.164
5) Sao Paulo (Brazil) - 15.093.324
6) Boca Juniors (Argentina) - 14.657.394
7) Palmeiras (Brazil) - 13.206.658
8) River Plate (Argentina) - 11.827.501
9) Juventus (Italy) - 11.040.000
10) Olympique (France) - 10.144.000

May I ask where these figures come from and what they`re based upon?
I`m not questioning them but I am interested as to how they measured it.
As in match attendences over a season or however.

bornatbirth
21st July 2009, 19:46

heres the english top 5 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

1.man utd - 100,000,000,000
2.aston villa - 10,000
3.asrenal - 5700
9.liverpool - 20
10.chelsea - 1

KeithD
21st July 2009, 19:58
May I ask where these figures come from and what they`re based upon?
I`m not questioning them but I am interested as to how they measured it.
As in match attendences over a season or however.
Attendance figures per season.

We have small grounds compared to the rest of the world, mainly due to our wonderful Health & Safety, but then in the other countries a lot of supporters die due to being crushed!

Yes other teams have supporters in other countries, but the figures are based on the fact that the vast majority of supporters are in the country of origin.

Leyton Orient have 3 supporters, 2 of them are staff :Cuckoo: