PDA

View Full Version : Gerrard cleared after bar brawl

Win2Win
24th July 2009, 15:20
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is cleared of affray after punching a man during a fight in a Merseyside bar.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/england/merseyside/8167000.stm)

KeithD
24th July 2009, 17:09
His defense was: "I thought he was a Manc"

So of course under Liverpool law cannot be found guilty :D

joebloggs
24th July 2009, 17:36
:NoNo: British justice for you

how a jury can find him not guilty :icon_lol:

you know what i think about this self defence :censored: scouser keith, and the reasons why.. maybe one day when someone beats the :censored: out of one of the jury or their family, and the low life gets away with it claiming self defence they'll remember how they let someone off.

as for gerrand, i would have found him guilty because..

1) he walked away from the guy, but minutes later went back to him..
2) the guy didn't throw a punch or attempt to
3) when gerrand pulled the guys jumper over his head he could have walked away, he didn't he punched him 3 times in the face.
4) gerrand says he thought the guy was going to attack him, what with gerrand and at least 5 friends there ?
5) all the others pleaded guilty except gerrand, none of them claimed self defence
6) he's admitted he was wrong, that the guy wasn't going to attack him..

so how can they find him not guilty ?

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 17:40
:NoNo: British justice for you

how a jury can find him not guilty :icon_lol:

you know what i think about this self defence :censored: scouser keith, and the reasons why.. maybe one day when someone beats the :censored: out of one of the jury or their family, and the low life gets away with it claiming self defence they'll remember how they let someone off.

as for gerrand, i would have found him guilty because..

1) he walked away from the guy, but minutes later went back to him..
2) the guy didn't throw a punch or attempt to
3) when gerrand pulled the guys jumper over his head he could have walked away, he didn't he punched him 3 times in the face.
4) gerrand says he thought the guy was going to attack him, what with gerrand and at least 5 friends there ?
5) all the others pleaded guilty except gerrand, none of them claimed self defence
6) he's admitted he was wrong, that the guy wasn't going to attack him..

easy he was tried in liverpool crown court:doh
anywhere else he would have been found guilty,as usual one rule for rich and famous:cwm23:

KeithD
24th July 2009, 17:47
We only know the 'media' story, not the actual story. If you listened to the prosecution statements that came out it sounded more like David v Goliath.

Anyway, he was not guilty under the legal definition of affray, and that was no surprise.

So as for one rule for others, myself and my mates have all been in those situations and none have ever gone as far as court...... so maybe you are right, a different rule for him as he was taken to court, while the majority of Joe Public aren't.

joebloggs
24th July 2009, 18:11
how can you call it self defence, from what ? when the other person doesn't even attempt to attack you.

self defence is used as an excuse for beating the :censored: out of someone and then trying to get away with it.

one for dom. as i know he's a fan of 'The Jeremy Kyle Show' :D

why didn't her b/f claim self defence, he probably wouldn't have gone to prison

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1127857_another_judge_blasts_kyle_

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 18:41
so it's ok to throw a few punches when no one is attemptimg to strike you!
c'mon keith we all seen the video.you know i'm man utd fan but if that had been rooney i would have said the same-guilty.of course you dont wanna loose him from your side and i would not wanna loose rooney but gerrard is as guilty as hell and he has got away with it.

bornatbirth
24th July 2009, 18:44
did he pull i have a better lawyer than you card?

KeithD
24th July 2009, 18:52
so it's ok to throw a few punches when no one is attemptimg to strike you!
c'mon keith we all seen the video.you know i'm man utd fan but if that had been rooney i would have said the same-guilty.of course you dont wanna loose him from your side and i would not wanna loose rooney but gerrard is as guilty as hell and he has got away with it.
Obviously he isn't guilty :Erm:

Menedez wasn't a threat...but he stood up and took one step towards the police so they shot him.....that was self defence.

bornatbirth
24th July 2009, 18:56

Menedez wasn't a threat...but he stood up and took one step towards the police so they shot him.....that was self defence.

you cant really compare them can you?

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 18:59

obviously he is guilty we seen him do it:doh
cmon keith blind loyalty to a liverpool player aint gona wash.
ok cantona slipped of the grass and flew into the crowd and accidently kung fu-ud that poor fam:yikes:

joebloggs
24th July 2009, 19:04
its a lot worse than what cantona did, gerrand walked away and came back, if he stayed away from the guy, then it wouldn't have happened, it says in the metro his friends told him not to go back to the guy, but he didn't listen to them.

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 19:09
its a lot worse than what cantona did, gerrand walked away and came back, if he stayed away from the guy, then it wouldn't have happened, it says in the metro his friends told him not to go back to the guy, but he didn't listen to them.

yep and all his mates pleaded guilty!

jimeve
24th July 2009, 19:33
the judge supports Liverpool fc what did you expect.

KeithD
24th July 2009, 19:47
obviously he is guilty we seen him do it:doh
cmon keith blind loyalty to a liverpool player aint gona wash.
ok cantona slipped of the grass and flew into the crowd and accidently kung fu-ud that poor fam:yikes:
Why do people think I have great support for Liverpool? :Erm: I couldn't honestly give a hoot if they get relegated, only sport I'm heavily involved with is horses, any other sport is a pastime. If the whole team died in a plane crash it doesn't effect me.

How many of you have been in court for these cases? Very close to none I'll bet, but you'll find in most of these cases they are found not guilty when charged with affray. If he'd been charged with ABH then it may have been a different matter, but more than likely the CPS did not have enough evidence for that so tried a weaker charge as they do.

You can compare it with Menendez under the title 'Intent'.

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 19:59
Why do people think I have great support for Liverpool?

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=11814&highlight=liverpool
your post does not lie :)

aromulus
24th July 2009, 20:02

Probably because if he gets a criminal record he won't be able to have gongs from the Queen, on Gordon's honours list... Or whatever you call it....:NoNo:

I had a feeling that he was getting away with it....:doh

LadyJ
24th July 2009, 20:23
Why do people think I have great support for Liverpool? :Erm:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:busted:icon_lol::icon_lol:

@lestaxi: Or maybe he now changed his mind now support Manchester United:icon_lol:

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 20:29
:icon_lol::icon_lol:busted:icon_lol::icon_lol:

@lestaxi: Or maybe he now changed his mind now support Manchester United:icon_lol:

good search engine on this site my reguards to the boss:icon_lol:

KeithD
24th July 2009, 20:43

Les said 'blind loyalty' which it is not as state. Of course I want them to win and happy when they do the same as Everton & Tranmere......and if ManU are the only ones left in Europe I'm happy to see them win, but I don't support any of the overpaid players regardless of who they play for. Celebrity culture is for people who don't have much of a life themselves.

KeithD
24th July 2009, 20:45
good search engine on this site my reguards to the boss:icon_lol:
I feel sorry for anyone in court with you in the jury....death by media...contextual disentanglement....and exaggeration :doh

les_taxi
24th July 2009, 21:02
I feel sorry for anyone in court with you in the jury....death by media...contextual disentanglement....and exaggeration :doh

lol i'm enjoying this:)
i do admire your fairness on here,you report sports news and rarely have a go at man utd-fair play,i wager you are in the minority of most people when you think he is not guilty of affray or whatever.gerrard tonked the guy and thats the facts.he went back to confront him and struck the blows.our justice system is getting like us heaven forbid.

jimeve
24th July 2009, 21:09
I want them to win and happy when they do the same as Everton & Tranmere..elves.

what about Wrexham. :xxsmilie_fussball:

KeithD
24th July 2009, 21:16
I think I'll neg rep you for mentioning a foreign team :icon_lol:

adam&chryss
24th July 2009, 21:17
As a Liverpool fan i`m so very very happy that he`s been found not guilty, even though he quite clearly punched someone, and he admitted he did 3 times, without being punched himself!
Nows he`s clear to play football :Hellooo: maybe its time to change the law from afray , ABH or GBH to something like " punching someone cos they looked at you funny "

STEVE GERRARD GERRARD, HE`S BIG AND HES :censored: HARD :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
24th July 2009, 21:18
Les said 'blind loyalty' which it is not as state. Of course I want them to win and happy when they do the same as Everton & Tranmere......and if ManU are the only ones left in Europe I'm happy to see them win, but I don't support any of the overpaid players regardless of who they play for. Celebrity culture is for people who don't have much of a life themselves.

:bigcry:

KeithD
24th July 2009, 21:19
My mate once broke the jaw of a copper, and put two of his mates in hospital....he got off with it in court as a case of mistaken identity :icon_lol:

aposhark
24th July 2009, 21:27

I thought LFC was a foreign team, not many English players in that squad.
Foreign manager and owned by Yanks too.

Wikipedia - List of foreign Premier League players:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players

aposhark
24th July 2009, 21:50

I used to play for Colwyn Bay years ago.
We had a game up in the hills at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I fouled one of their players in the first 5 minutes and ran down the wing 5 mins later and had to duck as 3 farmers swung their walking sticks at me with very choice language.
"You dirty $%£* town boys from Colwyn Bay"!!!!!

Had to keep away from the touchline for the rest of the game.

Great memory.

dontpushme
27th July 2009, 06:59
I used to play for Colwyn Bay years ago.
We had a game up in the hills at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

:Rasp: I know this is supposed to be about Gerrard, but how the heck do you pronounce Blaenau Ffestiniog? Is that Welsh? For a woman, I consider myself pretty good with maps (and as a Filipina, I'm pretty good with pronunciation), but I couldn't even begin to understand all those place names over there.:CompBuster:

Also, it's funny how you call Americans Yanks.:icon_lol: Hicks can't be considered a Yank coz he's from Texas. Out here, the only people that get called Yanks are from the Northern states (like Gillett), and it's considered an insult. Something about a civil war or some other junk like that. :icon_lol:

Incidentally, I'm not an LFC fan. I prefer Arsenal.

aromulus
27th July 2009, 07:37
:Rasp: I know this is supposed to be about Gerrard, but how the heck do you pronounce Blaenau Ffestiniog? Is that Welsh? For a woman, I consider myself pretty good with maps (and as a Filipina, I'm pretty good with pronunciation), but I couldn't even begin to understand all those place names over there.:CompBuster:.[/QUOTE

Watch my lips......... B-l-a-e-n-a-u F-f-e-s-t-i-n-i-o-g......:xxgrinning--00xx3: Easy peasy.....

[QUOTE=dontpushme;157739]Also, it's funny how you call Americans Yanks.:icon_lol: Hicks can't be considered a Yank coz he's from Texas. Out here, the only people that get called Yanks are from the Northern states (like Gillett), and it's considered an insult. Something about a civil war or some other junk like that. :icon_lol:.

Personally I would call them other things, but I would be arrested if I did.....:omg:

Incidentally, I'm not an LFC fan. I prefer Arsenal.

You are the weakest link......:Hellooo:

aposhark
27th July 2009, 07:48
Watch my lips.......

No thanks :yikes: :confused:

dontpushme
27th July 2009, 08:05
Watch my lips......... B-l-a-e-n-a-u F-f-e-s-t-i-n-i-o-g......:xxgrinning--00xx3: Easy peasy.....

Hmm, I think my lipreading needs a lot of improvement, coz that didn't help me at all.:NoNo:

Personally I would call them other things, but I would be arrested if I did.....:omg:

:yikes: What sort of other things would these be?:cwm12:

You are the weakest link......:Hellooo:

:icon_lol: I'd argue that, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's never to argue about football with a Brit. I'll never win and I'll get picked too (being from a country obsessed with basketball no matter how short everyone is).:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

KeithD
27th July 2009, 09:10
The meaning of the word Yank in the UK is an insult :icon_lol: