PDA

View Full Version : Do you Miss your Barkada ! (group)

ginapeterb
22nd August 2009, 08:21
I love my Barkada (group) do you miss yours ?

I have been back from the Philippines just under 1 week now, and its been a kind of deathly silence return, what do I mean, well getting home last Sunday taught me just how much, I have the Filipino way of life in my veins, its kind of like you arrive at NAIA and have an injection, that puts the Filipino DNA into your system.

Once the DNA is in your system, you start to think as a Filipino, act like a Filipino, eat like a Filipino, and talk like a Filipino.

Just look at my English, I tend to slow down, emphasize certain points, and have this yo yo stretching words, such as take the word attentive, you roll it like this...atennnnntive !

Yes the DNA is coming up to the surface of my veins and complaining, or is that reklamo ng reklamo, the fact is:

I miss my barkada !

Coming back to UK is bad enough, don't get me wrong guys for those reading this, I know UK is where I make my living, but making a living is not always enough, you have to have some kind of life too, and life is always what you make it, but I cannot help feeling that my barkada, or social group is where my heart is.

Do you all have this feeling that I have, I think it has much to do with the fact that I have only 1 sister in this country, and we rarely see each other due to distance, so family is not always easy for me to keep in touch with, and I do miss the times when I was in the Armed Forces, because back then we had a great social group system, we were always 6 to 10 of us going out, and you could always rely on each other, not just in dangerous situations but in social situations too.

The last time I was in Philippines, I was accepted into my wife's barkada of high school class mates, now in the Philippines, these girls have a barkada for almost anything, and Filipinos love to celebrate, they are always celebrating someone's birthday, someone's graduation, a relatives's anniversary, it doesn't take much to cause a party to be formed, or just a meal out, or general discussion, with snacks, soft drinks, because the amount of time I have tried to offer coffee, it goes un drank, I think Filipinos prefer soft drinks at occasions.

My wife's barkada of high school class mates, from the 1984 Batch have adopted me into the group, the group is called the Pink Ladies, because they always were known at school as a group that likes Pink.

Now I am officially a Pink gentleman, that is the husband of a Pink lady, this group on my travels, goes everywhere together, they laugh and joke, and go out for dinner, meet up at different ones houses for snacks, but what amazes me is the total atmosphere of the occasions.

Its fun to be there, and fun is important when you need to relax, they are always laughing and cracking jokes, thats another thing I find, Filipino's seem to love to make fun of people, and even themselves, they make fun of their lot in life, how hard life is, and at least they can poke fun at their elected representatives, or some other city official who promised this and that, even the roads they are supposed to be building, they would laugh and point out its not finished.

I must confess I miss my barkada, I left them all behind, I am sure they are always meeting up, but I am not there, what is it about Filipino barkada's that gives you a sense of belonging, they are always in large groups, I used to criticise them saying that they can't seem to go anywhere, without holding each others hand, but then it took me a long time to realize, that its nothing to do with that.

I belong to a group now, and I miss my group, they were great fun, and I wonder how many here, on arriving in the UK, miss their group too, perhaps some of you girls, who came to UK, feel a little isolated, perhaps you miss your groups too, I can well understand how you feel, the UK can be unforgiving when it comes to groups.

Some ladies find themselves isolated in towns and cities where they cannot find a friend or group of friends, its like that sometimes, some Filipina's complain there is no life outside the window of the house.

I know what they mean, no Jeepneys, no pedicabs, no tri-cyles and even more so, no noise, (akin to life) no one selling anything, and no one calling for a chat.

When you see life in the Philippines and the culture of saying "Gabi" or M/Umaga to someone in the morning, you realize just how isolated we have become, in 2025 the government estimates that 1 in 4 houses will actually be single occupied, no one else in the house.

Thank God for sites such as Facebook and Friendster, or one could really find themselves isolated, I am so happy to be part of a group, but I miss my group, my wife is away right now, still on duty in the Philippines, thankfully I have some freinds I am meeting today, but this week has been a quiet week, my only company is sky news in the morning, and t.v. in the evenings, but nothing can prepare me for:

The Deathly silence of the 4 walls, when you put the key into your door lock after landing at Heathrow Airport.

Come on guys I would like to seriously explore how you felt, this is for the men here at the forum.

How was your landing ? did you stare out through the port holes ? what were you thinking ?

How was the journey home back to your house ? what went through your mind ?

Did you leave a girl behind for the first time ?

Was that your first visit ?

Did you leave a newly married wife behind ?

Are you a seasoned traveller, and still get the same feeling ?

What was it like when you put the key in the door lock and went in through the door.

What about the 300,000 letters on the floor or in the mail box ?

These and many other questions circulate through all of our minds, perhaps maybe you are like me, if you know you have a problem with all of this, you mentally prepare yourself as I did.

What I tend to do is physch myself up for the return, I remind myself of what I will expect, how it will be, and tell myself you have done this many times before, and its always the same, I tell myself a little plan how to overcome it, and ensure that I know what I will do when I get home, so as not to be stuck watching the 4 walls.

Its harder I guess for guys who left a newly married wife there in the Philippines, some guys are luckier in that they fetch the girl back with them, and they arrive together, this can be an exciting time, as the guy would want to show the lady around, coming back together is a nice way to start your life together, your barkada starts the minute you arrive.

For others, its not much fun, having to leave the girl you love behind after a great time, my experiences tell me, these things pass in time, but my experiences tell me also, that nothing is like UK life, in terms of isolation, life is what you make it I tell myself, but somehow, I don't think I will ever get used to:

Being seperated from my Barkada, but its only a week and 2 days to go, and finally my girl will be back, and that's all I need for the moment...

Let me hear your stories....

vbkelly
22nd August 2009, 10:15
agree! but not only barkadas and family also the foods, beaches, and heat specially winter is coming huhuhu

Tawi2
22nd August 2009, 10:39
First time I went to Manila I was about 19 :Erm: Didnt really bother me leaving it as I was going back home to Hong Kong which is a city that really holds my heart,it was a short flight and there wasnt a pile of Junk mail on the floor when I slid the key into the lock and opened the door,I never remember getting Junk-mail in Honkers :Erm:Hong kong had similar weather,more pinays than you could shake a stick at but had the added advantage that the banking system functioned perfectly(I opened an account in PNB dumaguete,PNB cebu wouldnt let me withdraw money as it was a different branch:Erm:nothing was computerised back then)and I had a huge variety of food to choose from when I popped into Park'N'Shop or Welcome :icon_lol: Philippines was ok though.

Arthur Little
22nd August 2009, 10:56
... you start to think as a Filipino ...

... yes, :iagree: ... up to a point ... though my wife & I tend to think along similar lines anyway - regardless of CULTURAL differences.

... eat like a Filipino ...

... no :NoNo: ... if anything my wife is finding it easier to adapt to 'westernised' eating habits than ever I could to a daily staple diet consisting of rice with virtually ALL meals.

... talk like a Filipino ...

:Erm: ... I DO admit to the occasional "lapse" into my wife's STYLE of communication.

JimOttley
22nd August 2009, 11:26
I love my Barkada (group) do you miss yours ?

Just look at my English, I tend to slow down, emphasize certain points, and have this yo yo stretching words, such as take the word attentive, you roll it like this...atennnnntive !

Yes the DNA is coming up to the surface of my veins and complaining, or is that reklamo ng reklamo, the fact is:

I belong to a group now, and I miss my group, they were great fun, and I wonder how many here, on arriving in the UK, miss their group too, perhaps some of you girls, who came to UK, feel a little isolated, perhaps you miss your groups too, I can well understand how you feel, the UK can be unforgiving when it comes to groups.

I know what they mean, no Jeepneys, no pedicabs, no tri-cyles and even more so, no noise, (akin to life) no one selling anything, and no one calling for a chat.

Come on guys I would like to seriously explore how you felt, this is for the men here at the forum.

How was your landing ? did you stare out through the port holes ? what were you thinking ?

How was the journey home back to your house ? what went through your mind ?

Did you leave a girl behind for the first time ?

Was that your first visit ?

Did you leave a newly married wife behind ?

Are you a seasoned traveller, and still get the same feeling ?

What was it like when you put the key in the door lock and went in through the door.

What about the 300,000 letters on the floor or in the mail box ?

These and many other questions circulate through all of our minds, perhaps maybe you are like me, if you know you have a problem with all of this, you mentally prepare yourself as I did.

What I tend to do is physch myself up for the return, I remind myself of what I will expect, how it will be, and tell myself you have done this many times before, and its always the same, I tell myself a little plan how to overcome it, and ensure that I know what I will do when I get home, so as not to be stuck watching the 4 walls.

Let me hear your stories....

Yeah exactly, really hard coming home to the silence.

Done it loads of times, absolute agony at the airport particularly if the kids are there as well, I am a usually a bubbling wreck while going through the first x-ray inspection.

I take pictures out of the portholes every time I take off and land, I want to remember those moments, always feel the cold when I get back to Glasgow or Manchester and look at the others around me and wonder what is going through their minds, wonder what's on the telly as that is the only companionship I'm going to have for a long time, I usually just want to sleep as soon as possible when I get back then I call back home as soon as I can to let everyone know I'm safe on the ground.

In the air on the way back and on the ground I'm thinking about Ana about everything we have been doing together for the previous few weeks, remembering all our missions to this government office or that government office, thinking about all the times we have cried our hearts out to each other in bed when things have been going badly.

Remembering playing with James and him destroying the umpteenth toy car that we got for him :) and watching him bouncing up and down on the sofa and wondering exactly how much longer it will last before he goes right through it. :)

I just think about the smiles all the time, everywhere I go all the lovely smiling kind generous people, god I'm crying typing this, it's so hard not being there :(

I remember the smells and the pollution :) pushing Janna's pram round mall of Asia and going for Sunday night dinner after Church at Adriatico by the Bay before they closed the businesses at Baywalk.

Ana has lots of friends but it's only recently that some of her really good strong minded friends have come back into her life they have been missing for many years, she really needs those good friends in her life. We had a really good time with them last time I was over, barbecues on our terrace, going out to the pub, simple stuff but really good being with them all and to feel I belong somewhere.

I miss fixing the plumbing when it goes wrong or running round the house with Bygone trying to murder the ants :) we rent a nice place but next door have ants and they spread to our place really badly.

Yes I am a seasoned traveller and I feel this way every time, I usually drive home when I get back to Britain and it is a hard adjustment, really hard.

My heart is in the Philippines I would love to retire there but I worry that things will get much worse over there in the next 10 years, also that things are going to get really bad over here in 10 years time and it will be at least that long before I can retire probably longer.

Asia is alive...... the people are alive...... some of us live a very sterile existence here in the UK and I worry so much that if I ever manage to get my family over here that Ana will find the life here too empty.

All this goes though my head, every time I land back here in the UK.

Ana has been here once but even that journey was tinged with sadness as we had to leave James behind she spent 42 days in the UK and it was very hard for her, didn't help that she had morning sickness within 3 weeks of getting here (I got her pregnant either a couple of days or so before she arrived here or the first couple of days she was here :) )

But I do worry about her ability to adjust, no life outside the four walls/window could pretty much sum it up for a Filipina in the UK :( and it is so hard to see your partner suffer.

But sadly I have to work here I have no choice :(

Jim

Arthur Little
22nd August 2009, 12:28
Come on guys I would like to seriously explore how you felt, this is for the men here at the forum. Let me hear your stories ...

How was the journey home back to your house ? what went through your mind?

Being widowed nearly 17 years earlier ... and having been accustomed to living on my own [for the most part] ... I confess to feelings of trepidation :cwm24: as to my family's reaction to my [sudden, and hitherto unannounced] intention to re-marry ... !

Did you leave a girl behind for the first time?

Yes. But only for the express purpose of obtaining a CNI from my local Registry Office :rolleyes: and visit my grown-up children ... after which I would return to the Phils in order to fulfil our plans.

Was that your first visit?

Yes ... [for 3 weeks in September, 2008]. I went back out in November to marry my mahal. :BouncyHappy:

Did you leave a newly married wife behind?

:bigcry: Sadly, yes. And, in spite of twice extending the duration of my [second] stay for up to 3 months in the vain hope of Myrna's spouse visa being approved in time for her to accompany me on February 19/20, I ended up travelling home alone. Ironically, the visa was granted less than a week later!

I felt "knackered" ... (i.e. exhausted, to the uninitiated) ... and extremely frustrated :doh that the UK's "daft" Immigration Policy prevented me from bringing my lawfully-wedded wife back to the country of my birth - where I'd lived for more than six decades.

What about the 300,000 letters on the floor or in the mail box?

Yeahhh ... tell me about it! :ARsurrender:[big sigh of resignation] Luckily I'd given my next-door neighbour a spare key, and she'd separated the important stuff from what looked like the usual junk mail and placed it in two neat [albeit bulky] piles on the kitchen worktop for me to sift through.

JimOttley
22nd August 2009, 12:59
Being widowed nearly 17 years earlier ... and having been accustomed to living on my own [for the most part] ... I confess to feelings of trepidation :cwm24: as to my family's reaction to my [sudden, and hitherto unannounced] intention to re-marry ... !

Very easy to understand Arthur I felt that way the first time I came back from the Phils, my (at that time) 18 year old daughter was used to her dad having being single for her whole life, I was very concerned about how she would feel when I said I had a girlfriend :)

She did have a hard time at first but she did adapt and after they met she was a lot better about it.

First time I've posted a photo here but these are two of people I love the most in the whole world :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/2105971707_7d37ff9611.jpg

Jim

JimOttley
22nd August 2009, 13:02
I felt "knackered" ... (i.e. exhausted, to the uninitiated) ... and extremely frustrated :doh that the UK's "daft" Immigration Policy prevented me from bringing my lawfully-wedded wife back to the country of my birth - where I'd lived for more than six decades.

Ana loves the word "knackered", it has flavour and I love hearing it said in a Filipino accent :)

Jim

LadyJ
22nd August 2009, 13:31
Hi Pete, thanks for another lovely stories from you again.

Yes I missed all my barkadas back in Phils. in fact most of my barkadas were my second-degree cousins and childhood friends, we've been all through ups and downs, shared happiness and sadness of ourlives together, did all the teenage life were supposed to do and I really enjoyed the experienced of being a teenager when I was young but our friendship will never be the same again because we have our own lives to look after now.

Im a married woman now and I've come to a different chapter of my life.:Hellooo:

ginapeterb
22nd August 2009, 14:58
Excellent stories from all of you, you see, its true..you do miss it...

Lets hear a few more, cos it doesnt get any better, no matter how seasoned you are to Phils...I have a house there which is worse in some respects...now what do I Miss,

hahaha just about everything, massages, clothes laid out, food prepared, helpers, JoJo, my trusted companion and driver/guide, my koi fish, my satellite t.v., I could go on as the list is endless, I have just been back on the British Filipino website updating a few things, and its going to take time to update, alot of work, editing, and uploading, but I decided to put up a photo of me outside Glorietta taken last week, so guys if you want to see, navigate across to http://www.british-filipino.com

Ive got a few more as well as I am starting a new page on the site, called My Philippine blog....so thats something I will be working on....