PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition in PI!

Sis Suze
24th August 2009, 01:03
Hi everyone again

I spoke to my friend today online and I happened to ask her what she had eaten today. The answer was "Not much of rice and chickens feet"!!!!

What dried foods or canned foods do you think might be good to send over in my balikbayan box? It seems to me that there isn't much protein in their diet so I'm wondering what I could provide....also rice is quite expensive there too isn't it of late so I think I'll send some rice. I know it's a staple but it will save some money if I do won't it...do you think dried potato would be appreciated as a change from rice? I'll get some tinned corned beef, and maybe the chicken roll and stuff like that? Sorry i know I've done nothing but ask questions but I am so shocked and I so want to help with useful things as well as nice gifts. What about baked beans? They're full of protein....hahahaha! Listen to me! I haven't even sorted out a box yet...giggle.
But really, what goodness is there in chickens FEET for goodness sakes?

Right, I'll shut up now and put my thinking cap on....tinned steak...hmmm...now there's a plan....lol OK I'm gone xxxx

fred
24th August 2009, 01:36
Hey suze...I think your great!!
My Mum still asks me the same questions but all I really want is a crate of English mustard..
Loads of stuff here that are jammed packed with nutrients that dont come in a tin (malungay leaves are the best example) and rice is still much cheaper here than in the UK thank goodness!!
Incidentally..I eat about 10 ripe mangoes a day..Cost a bloody fortune in Sainsbury`s!! Want me to send you some???

Take care!!

Fred.

Sis Suze
24th August 2009, 02:16
Awwww, thanks, but I'm just ordinary really...lol.

Those thingey leaves don't have protein though do they and you need a bit of protein each day. I can't believe people eat CHICKEN FEET!!! I'm glad you get your quota of mango but I don't like it much to be hones...lol. Where in the Phils are you?

trader dave
24th August 2009, 02:21
My Mum still asks me the same questions but all I really want is a crate of English mustard..
Loads of stuff here that are jammed packed with nutrients that dont come in a tin (malungay leaves are the best example) and rice is still much cheaper here than in the UK thank goodness!!
Incidentally..I eat about 10 ripe mangoes a day..Cost a bloody fortune in Sainsbury`s!! Want me to send you some???

Take care!!

Fred. :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo: mangoe mangoe breakfast every day i love them always bring a few back to uk :Rasp::Rasp::Rasp::Rasp: cant buy them ones in sainsburys:D

darren-b
24th August 2009, 07:35
I personally wouldn't bother sending rice - it might seem expensive out there but it is far more expensive here plus it's quite bulky/heavy. You'd be far better to send money to buy rice..

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 11:35
Just a joke Suze,but one thing that would make ALL pinoy families jump with joy when they opened a box is one of these :icon_lol:

jencha8569
24th August 2009, 13:06
Just a joke Suze,but one thing that would make ALL pinoy families jump with joy when they opened a box is one of these :icon_lol:

hmmm.. lechon:D

miss.piggy
24th August 2009, 13:34
Hi everyone again

I spoke to my friend today online and I happened to ask her what she had eaten today. The answer was "Not much of rice and chickens feet"!!!!

What dried foods or canned foods do you think might be good to send over in my balikbayan box? It seems to me that there isn't much protein in their diet so I'm wondering what I could provide....also rice is quite expensive there too isn't it of late so I think I'll send some rice. I know it's a staple but it will save some money if I do won't it...do you think dried potato would be appreciated as a change from rice? I'll get some tinned corned beef, and maybe the chicken roll and stuff like that? Sorry i know I've done nothing but ask questions but I am so shocked and I so want to help with useful things as well as nice gifts. What about baked beans? They're full of protein....hahahaha! Listen to me! I haven't even sorted out a box yet...giggle.

Right, I'll shut up now and put my thinking cap on....tinned steak...hmmm...now there's a plan....lol OK I'm gone xxxx
Hi Suze,

You're awesome. I'm sure the family you're helping is ever thankful. :)

I don't think dried potatoes (or even fresh ones) could replace rice for Filipinos. We were brought up eating rice for breakfast, lunch and supper. Some people are having it for merienda (snacks) in between meals. And as most Filipino would say, a meal is not a meal without rice :) .

If you are really decided to send a balikbayan box, the canned goods you mentioned are really good, and that would give you much value for what you have to pay for the shipment. Whatever you send, it's the thought that counts anyways.

Chickens feet?? It's not that bad really! Just part of the delicacies?? My dad is not allowing us to eat these sort of street foods, but me and my brothers are sneaking in to the nearest bbq to get chickens feet and betamax (pigs blood in squares). They're tasty! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 13:38
:Erm: Waste not want not :xxgrinning--00xx3:

miss.piggy
24th August 2009, 13:41
yum...the chicken intestines too...that's another tasty part (if cleaned properly!!:)

Sophie
24th August 2009, 15:08
Hi everyone again

That's very nice and thoughtful of you suze :xxgrinning--00xx3: And i commend you for wanting to help a friend out :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Anyway, i think those tinned cans, baked beans, etc, will do,
i guess it would be good to send some authentic uk food for a change, they might come to appreciate the uk taste :)
As for chicken feet along with chicken intestine, balut, etc. - never tasted it, never tried it and never plan to, lol :ARsurrender:

IainBusby
24th August 2009, 15:32
Hi Suze,
You can't go wrong with canned stuff like corned beef, spam, baked beans, chicken/turkey roll, tuna (or any other canned fish) etc etc. Soap and shampoo will also be greatly appreciated.
Iain.

IainBusby
24th August 2009, 15:34

Take care!!

Fred.

When I'm over there I eat mangoes everyday for breakfast, you can't beat it!

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 15:36
Dove soap,if they are in Gen San dont send canned Tuna,if your looking for canned fish make it Sardines in tomato juice :xxgrinning--00xx3:If they are in manila or anywhere that tuna is relatively expensive then Tuna in oil not brine,baked beans,luncheon meat,spam,corned beef :xxgrinning--00xx3:All canned goods really :Erm: Educational books for kids,visit oxfam for those :xxgrinning--00xx3:Pop into the cash and carry and bulk buy biro pens :xxgrinning--00xx3:

trader dave
24th August 2009, 15:53
i would imagine your friends eat quite well in fact i would hazard a guess that there diet is more healthy than yours or mine :D fresh fruit is in abundance over there people share food as well ----if you cook to much you share with your neighbour :Erm::icon_lol::icon_lol: a lot of guys will know what i mean :cwm24:

they will never stop eating rice even if they only have rice water just a bone and a few vegtables boiled to make a soup thats ok by them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

they dont eat all the stodge and crap that kills us :xxgrinning--00xx3:

toothpaste and toothbrushes because many will not waste money on that even some of the childrens teeth are in a terrible state pain killers antiseptic cream plasters babys tin milk :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 15:55
First aid kit,I forgot about that dave :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ana_may365
24th August 2009, 15:58
hiya!Suzie,what ur plan is good!its a big help for the people who u want to send balikbayan box with our can foods from here:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:anyway,about adidas[chicken feet]that u mention i think a lot of filipino like it.also the head,wings,or bi2ka ng manok.everytime we go back to phils i always eat this kind of foods,i love it:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy: spclly if theres a nice gravy with it or spicy vinegar:BouncyHappy:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 16:03
I actually labelled my pic Adidas Ana :icon_lol: I wonder if you eat your pigeons feet :Erm::icon_lol: I tell you whats a great idea to stick in as well Suzie,ask your mates for their old mobile-phones,I normally take 3 or 4 or however many I have or can beg,borrow or steal,easy to get them unlocked,stick a smart or Globe in and off they go TXT'ing :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
24th August 2009, 20:54

Those thingey leaves don't have protein though do they and you need a bit of protein each day. I can't believe people eat CHICKEN FEET!!! I'm glad you get your quota of mango but I don't like it much to be hones...lol. Where in the Phils are you?

It's my partners favourite, seriously :)

Jim

joebloggs
24th August 2009, 21:10
I actually labelled my pic Adidas Ana :icon_lol: I wonder if you eat your pigeons feet :Erm::icon_lol:

tawi2, you seem to have photos of everything :rolleyes:

have you got a pic of a bbq rat or rats feet, i believe they eat them in some parts of india :vomit-smiley-011::Blacklistthatsucks:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 21:16
tawi2, you seem to have photos of everything :rolleyes:

have you got a pic of a bbq rat or rats feet, i believe they eat them in some parts of india :vomit-smiley-011::Blacklistthatsucks:

Could be because I have been around a bit :xxgrinning--00xx3:They dont eat rats in most parts of India,lived there for a year,but I did eat cane rat AKA bushmeat in Ghana :NoNo: and I did visit the Karni Mata rat temple in Deshnok where rats are revered and I had hundreds climb over me,they eat rats in Pinas,thats fact,I found skinned out cadavers in a gutter,the locals call it STAR meat(read it backwards) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
24th August 2009, 21:31
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2553352/Eat-rats-for-snacks-says-Indian-official.html

snack - cuppa a rat :rolleyes:

:NoNo:

have you got a pic of those pinoy red sausages made out of worms :D

my misses bought some from a Asian food shop near us, when we went back a week later, the guy asked if she liked them, she said no they didn't taste the same, he told her thats because there is no worms in them, they are not allowed to sell them here with worms in :cwm24:

:icon_lol:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 21:34
I havent a pic of pinoy worm sausages to be honest :Erm: The next time I am in Cebu I will try and get a pic of a rat being BBQ'd over some charcoal :Erm: Unless Northerner gets it for us :Erm:

Ana_may365
24th August 2009, 21:49
I actually labelled my pic Adidas Ana :icon_lol: I wonder if you eat your pigeons feet :Erm::icon_lol: I tell you whats a great idea to stick in as well Suzie,ask your mates for their old mobile-phones,I normally take 3 or 4 or however many I have or can beg,borrow or steal,easy to get them unlocked,stick a smart or Globe in and off they go TXT'ing :xxgrinning--00xx3:

like what i said tawi2,i eat adidas but not our racing pigeons feet:doh:doh:doh
i cant do that man!one pigeon is cost us £800 to £1000[it depends what bloodlines r they]:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
24th August 2009, 22:06
I havent a pic of pinoy worm sausages to be honest :Erm: The next time I am in Cebu I will try and get a pic of a rat being BBQ'd over some charcoal :Erm: Unless Northerner gets it for us :Erm:

Sure, just don't expect another pic alongside it of me eating the thing :D

joebloggs
24th August 2009, 22:19
is this them

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:0jeBKEKTkFiA1M:http://img.alibaba.com/photo/100179597/Tender_Juicy_Hotdog.jpg

:Erm:

i think so :rolleyes:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 22:23
like what i said tawi2,i eat adidas but not our racing pigeons feet:doh:doh:doh
i cant do that man!one pigeon is cost us £800 to £1000[it depends what bloodlines r they]:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ana,your funny man,I actually stick the word "Man" on the end of most sentences,or rather I used to :icon_lol:Theres a pinay in Sunderland called Angie,she was one of the first ones there,havent seen her for years but she was there maybe 18 years ago last time I popped home,she had a north east twang and even used the word "Man" as a full stop at the end of sentences :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 22:24
Juicy.....tender.....wormdogs :vomit-smiley-011: Wonder how long it is before they recycle people :Erm: Lolo-digs :D

vbkelly
24th August 2009, 23:14

chicken feet hmmm they love it and they also eat chicken intestine, liver, heart, blood and head.

Northerner
24th August 2009, 23:18
chicken feet hmmm they love it and they also eat chicken intestine, liver, heart, blood and head.

I'm pulling the same face that I pull when I see someone tucking into Liver Pate:NoNo: Nasty stuff.....

It's just wrong:icon_lol:

Ana_may365
24th August 2009, 23:41

to tell u the truth suze,that thingey leaves that u mention is the best!i always eat it together with some talbos ng kamote leaves with some sea shells[halaan]when i breasfeed all my children:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 23:44
Breastfeed :cwm24::Erm:Joe said I have pics of EVERYTHING I wonder which folder I have pinay breast pics in :Erm:

joebloggs
24th August 2009, 23:52
Breastfeed :cwm24::Erm:Joe said I have pics of EVERYTHING I wonder which folder I have pinay breast pics in :Erm:

the folder at the front :xxgrinning--00xx3:
just b4 the one with :butthead: in (and i'm not talking about the scousers :butthead: you see on the streets in manchester :rolleyes:

:icon_lol:

fred
25th August 2009, 00:00
This is a good reason why we should give Malunggay a second look
Nutritional Values:

7 times the Vitamin C in Oranges
4 times the Calcium in Milk
4 times the Vitamin A in Carrots
3 times the Potassium in Bananas
2 times the Protein in Milk/Yogurt

Read that again Suze.. 2 times the Protein in Milk!!

Im in Bohol BTW..Regards,
Fred.

JimOttley
25th August 2009, 00:28
Juicy.....tender.....wormdogs :vomit-smiley-011: Wonder how long it is before they recycle people :Erm: Lolo-digs :D

:laugher: I liked that one, I'll volunteer in 20 years :)

vbkelly
25th August 2009, 10:44
This is a good reason why we should give Malunggay a second look
Nutritional Values:

7 times the Vitamin C in Oranges
4 times the Calcium in Milk
4 times the Vitamin A in Carrots
3 times the Potassium in Bananas
2 times the Protein in Milk/Yogurt

Read that again Suze.. 2 times the Protein in Milk!!

Im in Bohol BTW..Regards,
Fred.

how's bohol fred i'll be there soon

fred
27th August 2009, 05:12
how's bohol fred i'll be there soon

Good here..Very warm !! No rain for 6 weeks now..Lots of construction in Dauis so delays getting onto island..