PDA

View Full Version : Can Iphones be used in the Phils????

pacificelectric
25th August 2009, 16:33
My gf's son would like an Iphone as present but if I buy a brand new Iphone here in France will it work in the Phils? The issue of plug can be solved easily I guess but will it still be operational as a phone? I am a total moron in that kind of field so I hope someone can give me some advice.... thanks in advance!!

RickyR
25th August 2009, 16:43
Yes it will, but you must get a phone that is unlocked. Buoytel is selling an 8GB iPhone 3G in carrefour for 299 Euro at the moment I believe, but you must have service from them for 6 months before they will unlock it for you.

3G service is available extensively through the major towns and cities in the Philippines, but service can deteriorate elsewhere.

trader dave
25th August 2009, 18:22
My gf's son would like an Iphone as present but if I buy a brand new Iphone here in France will it work in the Phils? The issue of plug can be solved easily I guess but will it still be operational as a phone? I am a total moron in that kind of field so I hope someone can give me some advice.... thanks in advance!!

yes buy a cheaper phone :xxgrinning--00xx3: why does he want an expensive one:Erm::Erm:

pacificelectric
25th August 2009, 18:33
yes buy a cheaper phone :xxgrinning--00xx3: why does he want an expensive one:Erm::Erm:

I offered an expensive dermatological treatment to his mother lately so he must believe I am rich.... :cwm24:

kimmi
25th August 2009, 18:42
yes it works! but make sure it is unlocked..I sent one for my sister a couple of months ago it is unlocked and jailbroken.

tiN
25th August 2009, 20:55

Yep it will:xxgrinning--00xx3:

And unlocking the phone will be easy, there are loads of stalls who will unlock the phone for him.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

trader dave
25th August 2009, 20:58
I offered an expensive dermatological treatment to his mother lately so he must believe I am rich.... :cwm24:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::yikes: exactly :Hellooo::doh

IainBusby
26th August 2009, 15:40

In that case, if I were you I would be sure to scotch this belief ASAP . Buy him a basic run of the mill (current model) nokia and tell him that's all you can afford, that's probably better than what your average Filipino would own. I think that your treading a very slippery slope right now and if you get it all wrong you'll be making a rod for your own back.

Filipino's have very big extended families and if the word gets around that your an easy touch, you'll soon find that they'll be queuing up with their requests.

Iain.

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 15:48

Tiggers0608
26th August 2009, 15:54
:Erm:

yeah i guess u can use iphones in the phils, but i rather use a not expensive phone in the phils coz of robbers and snatchers :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: unless u just leave it at ur house but whats use of ur mobile phone if its only in ur house (just like 1 of my friend :icon_lol:, thats why we cnt reach her lol)

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 15:57

Northerner
26th August 2009, 16:12
Yeah, I recently bought a cheap phone for going to the phils. It is a sony w350 walkman phone, quad band so it will work anywhere and cost me £40 including £10 credit from orange. It's already unlocked and using my pinoy sim. And if I lose it or it gets stolen:Erm: Big deal! Not the end of the world.. But if I was waving round a blackberry or iphone and it got snatched:cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23: Ooooooohhh, I'd be gutted:yikes:

tiN
26th August 2009, 16:12
I use my iPhone in the PI, there is quite alot of snatchers, but as long as u are careful and not showy,(use ur earpiece and ur phone in ur pocket) i think u will be ok:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 16:16

Northerner
26th August 2009, 16:25
Nokia 3310:Erm: Even better idea... If I hadn't have needed a phone to stick my pinoy sim into, I might have gotten one of those old things:xxgrinning--00xx3: from cebu..

Years ago when I had one, it survived all sorts of things. Even dropped it under a taxi once and after the driver rolled over it, it still survived:D

Ain't getting toughness like that from an Iphone:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 16:29

Northerner
26th August 2009, 16:36
a wise man once told me he would rather know himself he had the money in the bank to buy a porsche cash than actually buy one just to impress his neighbours.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

He is indeed a very wise man:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The most expensive thing I'll be walking round with will be my £40ish trainers:D The rest will be from the markets in cebu or mactan:xxgrinning--00xx3: Cheap and keeps me covered!

I think in reality though, being a white man on holiday I will stand out like a sore thumb to potential theives but they just won't have anything visable to go for! I remember in Thailand feeling on edge at the ATM as I usually took out 10,000 baht and put it in the hotel safety box. But the walk from the ATM to my hotel with a few months pay was enough to keep me alert. I expect the same feeling in Pinas:Erm:

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 16:43

trader dave
26th August 2009, 16:48
more white boys to choose from in bangkok but in the phils everyone knows you are there :icon_lol: hi joe :doh

Northerner
26th August 2009, 16:52
I always felt more relaxed in Thailand,dont know the statistics but most of bangkok I would wander around in the AM hours of dark'O'clock without feeling on edge,try doing that in parts of North harbour,QC,pasig,Pasay,around baclaran etc:NoNo: White man in the mathematical calculus of a lot of pinoys(and 'Nays)equates to cash,think of those cartoons where the characters have pound signs in their eyes and you get the picture :icon_lol:

Hmm.. I guess I will find out. I always felt safe in Thailand. What bothered me were the tuktuk drivers, soon as I got within distance to them it I was constantly saying "No thank you" a good six times:Erm: I just don't like carrying tons of cash one me. Same thing in the UK when once or twice I had to carry over £500 cash:cwm24: Always felt uneasy.. Once had £1,500 in a money belt for a day around Manchester.. Felt like I was being stalked:D

Plus, I am going nowhere near the rough areas, I hope... And when I do go shopping, it'll be straight into a taxi and back to the hotel with my stuff:rolleyes:

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 16:53

Northerner
26th August 2009, 16:57
more white boys to choose from in bangkok but in the phils everyone knows you are there :icon_lol: hi joe :doh

:D:yikes: Like the Fonzie said... Coooool.. :icon_lol:

New Shoes
26th August 2009, 18:18
In that case, if I were you I would be sure to scotch this belief ASAP . Buy him a basic run of the mill (current model) nokia and tell him that's all you can afford, that's probably better than what your average Filipino would own. I think that your treading a very slippery slope right now and if you get it all wrong you'll be making a rod for your own back.

Filipino's have very big extended families and if the word gets around that your an easy touch, you'll soon find that they'll be queuing up with their requests.

Iain.

This is the best advice you'll hear........

britishdetained
26th August 2009, 18:23
yeah im using iphone but same as others advise its not safe to hve this kind of phone:doh cant even use it outside as im too afraid it will be snatch as here in the Philippines cellphones are easy target:NoNo:

Northerner
26th August 2009, 22:29
I was going to get an iphone, but considering the exploding batteries (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8223005.stm) found in some of them, I think I'll go with a blackberry on my next upgrade:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Matt7
26th August 2009, 22:46
Hmm.. I guess I will find out. I always felt safe in Thailand. What bothered me were the tuktuk drivers, soon as I got within distance to them it I was constantly saying "No thank you" a good six times:Erm: I just don't like carrying tons of cash one me. Same thing in the UK when once or twice I had to carry over £500 cash:cwm24: Always felt uneasy.. Once had £1,500 in a money belt for a day around Manchester.. Felt like I was being stalked:D

Plus, I am going nowhere near the rough areas, I hope... And when I do go shopping, it'll be straight into a taxi and back to the hotel with my stuff:rolleyes:

I almost had you too, you're a fast walker! :cwm24:

Northerner
26th August 2009, 22:49
:23_116_6[1]:

I almost had you too, you're a fast walker! :cwm24:

£1,500.00 gives you a reason to speed up:icon_lol:

New Shoes
26th August 2009, 22:51

Be careful, don't make a rod for your own back........ I mean, could the kid have asked for a more expensive phone?????????

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 23:06

JimOttley
26th August 2009, 23:40

Rizza will take care of you, she will protect you and make sure you don't go anywhere that could be dangerous but as always keep your eyes open, 'Opportunity Knocks' for the desperate in Manila.

But don't let yourself get too concerned, just don't flash the cash, or credit cards, don't hang around near an ATM if you have just taken out some cash, if you don't feel comfortable in a taxi get out first chance you get as long as you are not in the sticks.

Only take out enough for the night, and keep only one card on you preferably not in your wallet but somewhere it won't show through your jeans or trousers.

Basically just act like you would if you were somewhere a bit rough in the UK and you will almost always be fine.

But as I said Rizza will take of you she will have your safety at the top of her mind always!

Jim

Northerner
26th August 2009, 23:53
Rizza will take care of you, she will protect you and make sure you don't go anywhere that could be dangerous but as always keep your eyes open, 'Opportunity Knocks' for the desperate in Manila.

But don't let yourself get too concerned, just don't flash the cash, or credit cards, don't hang around near an ATM if you have just taken out some cash, if you don't feel comfortable in a taxi get out first chance you get as long as you are not in the sticks.

Only take out enough for the night, and keep only one card on you preferably not in your wallet but somewhere it won't show through your jeans or trousers.

Basically just act like you would if you were somewhere a bit rough in the UK and you will almost always be fine.

But as I said Rizza will take of you she will have your safety at the top of her mind always!

Jim

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh, I know I will be fine. Spent years going through a paranoid phase when I was into self protection and all the Martial Arts BS from back in the day. Not that a lot of that stuff isn't good, but I think it is not healthy to be on guard 24/7!

Going nowhere near Manila, other than the airport so not too worried there either. Cebu is where I will be, and a week in Valencia, Bukidnon. And whatever else in Camiguin. Not exactly Jolo, so should be fine:Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3: And when I am in Valencia, I will probabl be in the company of Rizza's father and two brothers. So they will know of any local dangers and I think everything will be fine. I won't be flashing the cash and Rizza has already asked me to save and not go spend, spend, spend:) So, no worries:xxgrinning--00xx3:

pacificelectric
27th August 2009, 08:22
Be careful, don't make a rod for your own back........ I mean, could the kid have asked for a more expensive phone?????????

Actually my gf told me that if it wasn't OK with me I could just disregard the request.

Oh by the way this morning she asked me if I could send her 8,500 PHP because she needs screen doors to prevent mosquitoes, flies and frogs (?) to sneak into the place.... :yikes: but OK it is my fault, I told her that if she needed something she should ask me, i do not like the idea of her going to the pawn shop... so i guess the screen doors are more important than the Iphone.....

aromulus
27th August 2009, 08:41
Actually my gf told me that if it wasn't OK with me I could just disregard the request.

Oh by the way this morning she asked me if I could send her 8,500 PHP because she needs screen doors to prevent mosquitoes, flies and frogs (?) to sneak into the place.... :yikes: but OK it is my fault, I told her that if she needed something she should ask me, i do not like the idea of her going to the pawn shop... so i guess the screen doors are more important than the Iphone.....

I would wait until your visit, and if need be, then invest in that.....
It seems to me that it is all getting, slightly, out of hand....:doh

Spoiling someone is good at times, but not all the time.:NoNo:

pacificelectric
27th August 2009, 09:16
The funny thing is that she mentioned the screen doors just after sending me a scan of her pap smear results. Is this just a coincidence or an encrypted message like "we do kayat at the Waterfront hotel and the kids are not bothered by flies at home"?????? :omg:

eagles
27th August 2009, 09:25
Pacific, sounds like more request are coming up from her.. beauty feel, phone, screen doors ..:omg:... so what's more will come........

Tawi2
27th August 2009, 12:22

Florge
27th August 2009, 14:27

here we go... lol... good luck... how old is the son?

Florge
27th August 2009, 14:37

oh please!!! you'll only be there for 2 weeks right?? You only need to put a mosquito net to cover your bed and put off lotion.. and you'll be ok.

next thing... it'll be airconditioning!!! LOL

Florge
27th August 2009, 14:41
The funny thing is that she mentioned the screen doors just after sending me a scan of her pap smear results. Is this just a coincidence or an encrypted message like "we do kayat at the Waterfront hotel and the kids are not bothered by flies at home"?????? :omg:

they were able to stay alive without screen doors... why? because they keep it close :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pacific, please be careful. but if it keeps you happy... who am i to convince you otherwise. :doh

Tawi2
27th August 2009, 14:41

pacificelectric
27th August 2009, 15:30
they were able to stay alive without screen doors... why? because they keep it close :xxgrinning--00xx3:

pacific, please be careful. but if it keeps you happy... who am i to convince you otherwise. :doh

Yes, they keep it close but then it keeps warmth inside and she said aluminium screen doors are better and last longer than plywood..... :rolleyes:

Yes I know, she is smart and irresistible.... just as a reminder:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg125/tanuccio/diana185.jpg

:Rasp:

maria_and_matt
27th August 2009, 15:33
just say no to all of the things they are asking and see what the reaction will be.... just an idea:D

trader dave
27th August 2009, 15:35
:yikes: i am afraid they have seen a sign on your head already it reads ..........SUCKER :icon_lol: there is a word called NO NO NO NO NO DO YOU THINK MONEY GROWS ON TREES :cwm23: :doh

i would suggest you get it inside your head now :icon_lol: but its your cash not mine:doh

Tawi2
27th August 2009, 15:40

mrs traderdave
27th August 2009, 15:47
The funny thing is that she mentioned the screen doors just after sending me a scan of her pap smear results. Is this just a coincidence or an encrypted message like "we do kayat at the Waterfront hotel and the kids are not bothered by flies at home"?????? :omg::NoNo::NoNo:just drink cup of english tea:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:i never ask my hubby to send money just to buy screen door or whatever:omg::omg:good pilipina never been as of anything just wait if u offer:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

belfast_dude
29th August 2009, 11:00
i recently got an iphone for £40...but no stall will unlock it....i got it jailbroken,...can anyone help with getting it unlocked for any sim.....cheers big ears

somebody
29th August 2009, 12:09

Iain.

Word Iain spot on as normal.

If a flash phone is give it because its a hand me down.

Last time i went we took the usual batch of 2nd hand phones. Some still quite flash two were very smart sonys neither lasted more than six months. Nokias, sonys, samsungs, possiblyu motorola all fairly easy to find a repair shop locally this smart iphone (a mate had a quote of 180 pounds for the screen recently) 60 odd quid for a battery which is sealed in the phone unlike most which you can swap your self. Ok someone in phill may do slightly cheaper but still expensive.

Also iphones even though apple deny it seem to have had a few get very warm and cause damage in Europe let alone Phill:omg:

Although Iphones and touchs are fun to use, for the above reasons i could never recomend either to anyone.

Seriously consider if he should get what he wants not what you can provide.

THe wifes young Bro and Sis might like the latest but still dead happy with quite flash but not brand shiny new as its still better than what they would have otherwise. Dont set the bar to high.

somebody
29th August 2009, 12:13
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh, I know I will be fine. Spent years going through a paranoid phase when I was into self protection and all the Martial Arts BS from back in the day. Not that a lot of that stuff isn't good, but I think it is not healthy to be on guard 24/7!

Going nowhere near Manila, other than the airport so not too worried there either. Cebu is where I will be, and a week in Valencia, Bukidnon. And whatever else in Camiguin. Not exactly Jolo, so should be fine:Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3: And when I am in Valencia, I will probabl be in the company of Rizza's father and two brothers. So they will know of any local dangers and I think everything will be fine. I won't be flashing the cash and Rizza has already asked me to save and not go spend, spend, spend:) So, no worries:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You have a Wise, sensible as well as a Beautiful lady there:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
30th August 2009, 00:20
You have a Wise, sensible as well as a Beautiful lady there:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:iagree::smileybigtmouth:

britishdetained
1st September 2009, 07:18

You havent married her yet and it seems that she ask for so many things already:NoNo::NoNo: what more she would ask once she carries your surname:yikes::yikes:

be careful:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ca143
1st September 2009, 09:34
all i can say if you continue to spoiled ur lady (malagas kang magkomkom sa itlog):icon_lol:

u can ask MR TAWI2x to translate it for U.....

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 10:24