PDA

View Full Version : My Oath of Allegiance

aphrodite78
15th September 2009, 16:48
Hi All,

Probably most of you were aware that I recently got my Application for Naturalisation Approved. I immediately booked it as there is a 14 days timeframe to book your Citizenship Ceremony at your local registry office.

It was booked today 15th September 2009 at 3:00 PM. I was told to be there at 2:30 PM for document checking and for them to confirm who you are. I got there 5 mins before 2:30 there was a small queue I was last in the queue.

I felt a bit excited but all my excitement, sense of achievement has gone with the wind, I was a bit annoyed, frustrated, disgusted to be honest. Most of the people in front of me due for the oath taking ddoesn't even know how to speak in English. I am soooo disgusted. My 4 years of ups and down, highs and low for this was nothing really. I felt a bit insulted that I didn't even noticed that my name was called. I mean how would you feel? You have embraced the culture, studied the language, adhered with the law and passed the life in the uk exam for what??? But the person in front of you or beside you didn't know how to speak the language let alone understand it!!! You wouldn't mind if they tried speaking the language but the lack of effort would make you really feel disgusted.

And when the ceremony was finally conducted, we were stating our names, affirming our oath of allegiance I didn't felt any sense of achievement at all. Ceremony took 30 mins all in all. Room was full of mixed race, we were all made British in the end but the sad thing is some of us didn't understand what was it all about. We weren't one in the end. It was sad as well because my two other kids is still in the Phils and I have now come to the end but their journey is just about to begin. Sad really :NoNo:

scott&ligaya
15th September 2009, 17:13
I feel bad for you and embarrassed and ashamed of our country that you were let down. It does seem that we are penalised for doinhg the right thing so many times these days. Well at least you will be able to moan about the weather now that you are British

sorry you had this bad experience

joebloggs
15th September 2009, 18:02
:doh yes it was the same for my misses,

i suppose when you've got 100+ people attending, there is not enough time to make it more personal. thou if you wanted that you could have paid extra and had your own private ceremony.

as for people speaking english, they all should have past the 'life in uk test' - more of a test of reading, than speaking. and everyone of them has been in the uk at least 3yrs. maybe the gov should do something more like the IELTS exam, tests your reading, writing,listening and speaking capabilites.

i expected a bit more, but the mayoress was there, and she didn't charge people to have her picture taken with them :icon_lol:

aphrodite78
15th September 2009, 18:16
:doh yes it was the same for my misses,

i suppose when you've got 100+ people attending, there is not enough time to make it more personal. thou if you wanted that you could have paid extra and had your own private ceremony.

as for people speaking english, they all should have past the 'life in uk test' - more of a test of reading, than speaking. and everyone of them has been in the uk at least 3yrs. maybe the gov should do something more like the IELTS exam, tests your reading, writing,listening and speaking capabilites.

i expected a bit more, but the mayoress was there, and she didn't charge people to have her picture taken with them :icon_lol:

Yes, you are absolutely right. The government should implement more exam. With regards to the ceremony, it's not really about being personal, if money is not an object yes i'd say so but why bother anyway when anyone can be "british citizen" even without having to know :censored: all (excuse me for the language) with britain. It's just really frustrating :NoNo:

GaryFifer
15th September 2009, 18:48
Here is the life in the UK test- Free Online practice.

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

JimOttley
15th September 2009, 22:24
Here is the life in the UK test- Free Online practice.

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

Well I just failed that test and even if I had been sober I would have failed and it took me four attempts to type every word I typed here because I'm stuck working abroad and I'm pished (I hope that is not swearing boss :cwm34:) tonight so I will not comment further :)

Seriously even on a good day I would have failed that test!!!

Jim

jaishann
15th September 2009, 22:44
Hi All,

Probably most of you were aware that I recently got my Application for Naturalisation Approved. I immediately booked it as there is a 14 days timeframe to book your Citizenship Ceremony at your local registry office.

It was booked today 15th September 2009 at 3:00 PM. I was told to be there at 2:30 PM for document checking and for them to confirm who you are. I got there 5 mins before 2:30 there was a small queue I was last in the queue.

I felt a bit excited but all my excitement, sense of achievement has gone with the wind, I was a bit annoyed, frustrated, disgusted to be honest. Most of the people in front of me due for the oath taking ddoesn't even know how to speak in English. I am soooo disgusted. My 4 years of ups and down, highs and low for this was nothing really. I felt a bit insulted that I didn't even noticed that my name was called. I mean how would you feel? You have embraced the culture, studied the language, adhered with the law and passed the life in the uk exam for what??? But the person in front of you or beside you didn't know how to speak the language let alone understand it!!! You wouldn't mind if they tried speaking the language but the lack of effort would make you really feel disgusted.

And when the ceremony was finally conducted, we were stating our names, affirming our oath of allegiance I didn't felt any sense of achievement at all. Ceremony took 30 mins all in all. Room was full of mixed race, we were all made British in the end but the sad thing is some of us didn't understand what was it all about. We weren't one in the end. It was sad as well because my two other kids is still in the Phils and I have now come to the end but their journey is just about to begin. Sad really :NoNo:

Chill out , I can understand how you feel but one thing I can think of is maybe they feel a bit akward if they were from the same country and start talking in English, maybe they are a bit more comfy using their own language which they are basically fluent. Another thing is maybe they are too excited that they forgot how to speak in English:). Anyway my congratulations to you. Well done, hope all things go well with your children as they apply.

MarBell379
15th September 2009, 22:58
scraped through - useful site though - thanks Gary

Sophie
16th September 2009, 21:40
congratulations aphrodite :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
17th September 2009, 08:43
"I pledge my allegiance to my flag, of the United States of Europe" :action-smiley-081:

ukgangster
17th September 2009, 11:52
"I pledge my allegiance to my sheep, of the United Flock of Wales":prosper: