PDA

View Full Version : Buying Jade

subseastu
26th September 2009, 03:19
Folks

I'm sat in singapore at the mo "working" on my ship and I want to buy the wife some jade jewelery. Does anyone know anything about jade, like how to tell if its the real thing and the cost. Also any good shops?

Ta

KeithD
26th September 2009, 09:54
I know it's dried dinosaur snot! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Go get it in Mustaffa's in Little India, you don't get ripped off, and you'll end up buying all kinds of other stuff as well! It's like Aladdins cave! :cwm24:

Ping
26th September 2009, 09:55
Don,t buy any jewelry in Lucky Plaza cause its expensive.Have a look at Poh Heng along Orchard road or go to Serangon road or China town.You have look arounf first and compare the prices.You have to haggle like for example the price is 200 dollar try to haggle it of 150 then will adjust the price by calculating it.Or other tactics is show the money and tell the salesperson thats all your budget take it or leave it then say I will find another that give you what you want.
In Singapore gold jewelry is price by grams not by piece.You can haggle in Singapore but not in department store.
Or if you plenty of time go to different town like Toa Payoh, Yishun,Paya Lebar,its easy cause plenty of transportation. If you go by train to any direction or taxi and it cheap.

subseastu
26th September 2009, 10:11
thanks both, off out now to have a look and spend spend spend

Mrs Daddy
26th September 2009, 10:23
Take it from the expert :D ate ping stayed and worked there for quite a while so she knows everything about jewelry:)

lavander
26th September 2009, 11:14
pls. try roaming around chinatown as well..lots of items you can choose from... at the moment till tom,pls avoid place such as cityhall raffles and marina...as it is damn chaos due to F1 fever.. enjoy your stay.. :)

Pepe n Pilar
26th September 2009, 15:09
I like jade stone:). I received a jade bracelet when i graduated from high school as a gift from my Aunt (mum's youngest sister). The stones are individually separated from each one with gold as the base:xxgrinning--00xx3:. I like it so much that i wore it everyday until after college and already working. I lost it:bigcry::Brick:. I hope i will find that kind of design here in England.

:)

Tawi2
26th September 2009, 15:41
I still have a jade pendant given to me in Hong Kong years ago,the chinese have a saying that when you give someone a jade item your giving them a piece of you to carry with them forever :)

Pepe n Pilar
26th September 2009, 16:04
I still have a jade pendant given to me in Hong Kong years ago,the chinese have a saying that when you give someone a jade item your giving them a piece of you to carry with them forever :)

Yes i heard that saying as well:xxgrinning--00xx3:. My Aunt told me to take good care of it. Who gave you the jade pendant?:)

Tawi2
26th September 2009, 16:12
They say you can feel the warmth in it if you hold it in the palm of your hand.If your looking for a piece in the UK theres a nice jewellers in Londons Chinatown,they always have a stock but obviously its cheaper in the far-east.I have a nephew just gone to Afghanistan and have asked him to get me a chunk of lapis lazuli,another mystical semi-precious gemstone with a lot of stories woven around it :)

tiN
26th September 2009, 17:00

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

My husband gave me one, a jade pendant it comes from new zealand we called it tikki as we both have it as a lucky charm:D

subseastu
27th September 2009, 02:37
Holy :censored: Have you seen the price of grade A jade. Its thousands of sing dollars which means thousands of pounds!!!!!! Anyway i've found some nice grade B stuff. Got a carved braclet, earing and pendent with gold chain at "knock down, this price for you only, I like the english, my boss will kill me if he know how much i sell it for" price.

Thanks for the shopping tips folks, I'm off to count the money I've not got anymore!!!

KeithD
27th September 2009, 09:05
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

My husband gave me one.....
I should hope so! :rolleyes: