PDA

View Full Version : Serious Flooding in Manila Typhoon Ondoy

JimOttley
26th September 2009, 09:00
At the moment large area's of Las Pinas in Metro Manila are 2 to 3 feet under water, this looks like a really bad one as these are area's that don't usually flood.

Looks like the flooding will be extensive across the whole of Manila :(

Electricity is off as usual.

Sorry don't know offhand how to do the indirect link to the news page but it's on the front page of philstar.

From a personal angle our house which is slightly raised is ankle deep on the whole of the ground floor :(

Jim

pumpkins
26th September 2009, 09:09
At the moment large area's of Las Pinas in Metro Manila are 2 to 3 feet under water, this looks like a really bad one as these are area's that don't usually flood.

Sorry don't know offhand how to do the indirect link to the news page but it's on the front page of philstar.

From a personal angle our house which is slightly raised is ankle deep on the whole of the ground floor :(

Jim

NAIA 1 terminal shutdown according to GMA flash report

heavy rains caused some domestic flights to get canceled Saturday morning.

belfast_dude
26th September 2009, 10:01
when do they think the typhoon will leave manila....does anyone know?

JimOttley
26th September 2009, 10:07
when do they think the typhoon will leave manila....does anyone know?

Don't know in the last hour the water in our house has risen 2 foot :(

jim

mickcant
26th September 2009, 10:22
Don't know in the last hour the water in our house has risen 2 foot :(

jim

Hi jim,
So it is still rising in your home!
I hope this is soon over, and that everyone are ok.

I have been trying to find flight information at Manila Airport but they do not seem to be saying much?
Mick.

RickyR
26th September 2009, 10:22
TS 17 will clear Rizal in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
http://www.alertnet.org/thefacts/imagerepository/200917W_09260202.png

Has been predicted and on international forecasts for days...

belfast_dude
26th September 2009, 10:39
TS 17 will clear Rizal in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
http://www.alertnet.org/thefacts/imagerepository/200917W_09260202.png

Has been predicted and on international forecasts for days...

i really hope so...all our prayers our with them

GaryFifer
26th September 2009, 12:23
i really hope so...all our prayers our with them

indeed latest news 6:40PM (its 7:20 as I write this)

Metro Manila under state of calamity (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=508814&publicationSubCategoryId=200) Hope the link works.

Jessica has relatives in Pasig. I am sure that area is the same. Wish them ok.

Nearly 2,000 people were evacuated in Manila and surrounding areas, a disaster council report said.

Here are the areas:
Areas submerged in water Updated at 3:18PM (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=508808)

Johnthelaw
26th September 2009, 12:49
I am desperately worried as my wife texted me to say that she and the children had to seek refuge in the local school. She is in St. Josephs, Pasig City. I keep trying to phone but cannot connect. Does anyone know if all mobile networks are now out of operation.
Kind Regards,
John

pumpkins
26th September 2009, 13:08
I am desperately worried as my wife texted me to say that she and the children had to seek refuge in the local school. She is in St. Josephs, Pasig City. I keep trying to phone but cannot connect. Does anyone know if all mobile networks are now out of operation.
Kind Regards,
John

i am watching news right now.. and the residents lives in pasig is really affected..especially lives by the river
they said , more rain tomorrow..but the typhoon will go away tomorrow night
the mobile networks might work but she might be lowbat

GaryFifer
26th September 2009, 13:13
Kind Regards,
John

I hope this helps. This is an update on the evacuation areas.I check the NDCC(national diaster Coordinating Council) website.
The report is PDF format here: PDF report on effects of Ondoy (http://210.185.184.53/ndccWeb/images/ndccWeb/ndcc_update/TS_Ondoy2009/ndcc%20sitrep%20no.%202%20on%20the%20effects%20of%20ts%20ondoy%20as%20of%20sept%2026%2C%202009-2pm.pdf)

I copy the important image for people here. It is jpg format.

johncar54
26th September 2009, 13:44
Talking now to relatives in Cainta, Rizal. Close to Manila Their home is flooded to their necks (adults) and everything in house id swot away and or destroyed.

johncar54
26th September 2009, 13:47
From ABS CBN

Top Story
People trapped on roofs, waiting to be rescued as tropical storm Ondoy lashes Metro Manila and several other provinces in Luzon.

People trapped on roofs, waiting to be rescued as tropical storm Ondoy lashes Metro Manila and several other provinces in Luzon.
(Update) 10 dead in massive floods
Agence France-Presse as of 09/26/2009 7:43 PM

MANILA - At least 10 people were reported dead or missing and more than 1,800 were forced to evacuate as tropical storm Ondoy lashed the Philippines Saturday, officials and radio reports said..

Johnthelaw
26th September 2009, 13:51
Thanks Pumpkins and Gary2Jessica for your posts. I feel so useless here in the UK as my family suffers half a world away!

GaryFifer
26th September 2009, 14:10
Thanks Pumpkins and Gary2Jessica for your posts. I feel so useless here in the UK as my family suffers half a world away!

Sorry tried to upload the pdf report file, but it is too large. I don't know if against copyright to paste some of the details of the report for you john. It details things more detail. You can delete this post if it is not allowed.

Here is the website: NDCC WEB- EFFECTS OF TROPIC STORM (http://210.185.184.53/ndccWeb/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=164&Itemid=221)

If you cannot open pdf:

NCR
· A total of 33 barangays have been flooded in Manila City (1), Marikina
City (2), Malabon City (6), Muntinlupa City (2), Quezon City (5), Makati City
(1), Pasay City (1), Pasig City (5), Valenzuela City (1) and San Juan City
(9) with flood water ranging from 2 ft. to waist-deep are not passable to
light vehicles. Road clearing, search and rescue and evacuation
operations are on-going
· Thirty Seven (37) road sections in Metro Manila are not passable to light
vehicles due to flooding
Region IV-B
· Trips from Romblon Port to Sibuyan Island, Romblon Province were
cancelled
· OCD IV-B is closely monitoring the status of roll-on-roll out operations
Region V
· A landslide occurred in Brgy. Bongalon, Sangay, Camarines Sur on or about
5:00 PM, September 24, 2009 due to heavy rains. No damages and casualties reported
· Power interruption has been experienced in some parts of Labo, Camarines
Norte due to fallen tree. Power restoration is being done by Camarines Norte
Electric Cooperative (CANORECO)
C. Strandees in Regions IV-A and V
· As of todate, a total of 1,806 passengers, 120 trucks, 27 small cars, 2
passenger buses, 15 vessels, and 6 motor bancas were stranded in the Ports
of Batangas, Calapan, Puerto Real, Tamban, Virac, Tabaco, and Pasacao
· PCG Unit Commanders in various ports are closely monitoring and providing
assistance to ensure security and safety of strandees

III. ACTIONS TAKEN
NATIONAL Actions
· NDCC Advisory was disseminated to regions concerned through SMS and
facsimile for further dissemination to their respective local disaster coordinating
councils from the provincial down to the municipal levels

NDCC-OPCEN has been continuously coordinating with AFP Command
Center and emergency responders of respective areas for the conduct of
immediate search and rescue operations in various flooded/critical areas
in Metro Manila: Manila City, Marikina City, Malabon City, Muntinlupa
City, Quezon City, Makati City, Pasay City, Pasig City, Valenzuela City
and San Juan City; Central Luzon (Bulacan); and Region IV-A (Rizal
Province particularly San Mateo, Cainta, Tanay, Angono, Taytay, Baras,
Montalban and Antipolo City)
· Requested Olongapo Rescue and SBMA Emergency Responders to
assist AFP in the conduct of search and rescue operations in Metro
Manila
AFP
· Major AFP units such as 48IB, 7th ID deployed and respective DRRUs
to render assistance
· GHQ and HSC DRRUs lead by LtC Docil, PA (GSC) assisted stranded
commuters in the vicinity of EDSA-Santolan area
REGIONAL Actions
· OCD Regional Centers concerned have been continuously disseminating
weather advisories/bulletins to the Local Disaster Coordinating Councils and
monitoring of possible effects in their respective areas of responsibilities
NCR
· OCD-NCR alerted QCDOPs to monitor areas likely to be affected by the
spilling of La Mesa Dam and coordinated with NCRCOM and CDAG for
immediate deployment to Brgy. Bagong Silangan and Brgy. Fairview and
Sitio Ruby East Fairview and the collapsed building in 18th Avenue
Region I
· RDCC OPCEn has been activated since yesterday with the Naval Force
Northern Luzon (NFNL) and PNP Officers and other RDCC members
rendering duty at OpCen
· DSWD RI instructed the SWAD teams to coordinate with PDCCs to
monitor situation in respective areas of responsibilities
Region III
· PDCC Bulacan is continuously monitoring the situation and population
affected in 25 barangays of Marilao, Meycuayan, San Miguel and Bocaue
with flood waters ranging from 1 ½ ft to waste deep ft
Region IV-A
· The Philippine Coast Guard and Philippine Ports Authority in Batangas
have suspended the inter-island travel. Vessel of 1,000 gross tonnage
(GT) and below are not allowed to venture into the sea
· All local DCCs of CALABARZON are placed on alert status
Quick Alert Response Teams of DPWH, Southern Luzon Command
(SOLCOM), DOH, DSWD, PCG and PNP are on alert status ready for
deployment as the need arises
Region IV-B
· PDCC Oriental Mindoro dispatched its Provincial Disaster Response to
monitor the situation particularly the water courses affected by the
monsoon rains. Likewise, alerted the MDCCs in their area of
responsibilities
CAR
· DPWH CAR is now conducting clearing operations along the areas with
reported land/mud and rock slides
· OCD CAR coordinated with PRO-COR to assist in the dissemination of
warning advisories at the local level trough their radio communications
network

JimOttley
26th September 2009, 15:26
Thanks for all the info Gary water is still rising in zapote waist deep Ana is telling me she just waded a mile too and from the hospital to our house, we've lost all our funiture on the ground floor but everyone is safe, hope everyone elses families are safe too.

I'm mobile today and this site is great on a day like this.

Jim

belfast_dude
26th September 2009, 17:50
big thankz to gary2jesssica for keeping us all informed...it means a lot to us....u r the eyes and ears for us.....keep us posted dude.....

thankz man..

GaryFifer
26th September 2009, 19:05
The BBC have started to post some coverage now.
Dozens dead in Philippine floods (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8276347.stm)

RickyR
26th September 2009, 19:18
I've managed out of 150 attempts to connect only 1 call for about 30 seconds. Apparently it appears to be subsiding now, and has calmed down considerably.
Marvie is thankfully fairly high up in the apartment building, but the ground floor is completely flooded. The BBC photos show quite serious results.
The government of the Philippines is just not capable of foreseeing and dealing with natural disasters.

Ji&Ma
26th September 2009, 19:30
We are worried in here as well as my Maricel has a part of her family in Metro Manila - Makati exactly and she currently can't get in touch with them.
Managed to calm her down that it is possibly due to network overload and disruptions cused by flooding.
Just hope I am right in this...
According to last satellite pics from NOAA the storm Ondoy (international name "Ketsana") left Philippines and is headig westwards while gaining strenght over open waters. :NoNo:

Last NOAA satellite image:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/products/4KMIRIMG/2009WP17_4KMIRIMG_200909261713.GIF

GaryFifer
26th September 2009, 19:39
There has been another situation report put up. 1:00am

PDF report number 4 of effects of tropical storm ONDOY (http://210.185.184.53/ndccWeb/images/ndccWeb/ndcc_update/TS_Ondoy2009/ndcc%20sitrep%20no%204%20on%20the%20effects%20of%20ts%20ondoy%20as%20of%20sept.%2027%2C%202009%2C%201am.pdf)

RickyR
26th September 2009, 19:45
We arer worried in here as well as my Maricel has a part of her family in Metro Manila - Makati exactly and she currently can't get in touch with them.
Managed to calm her down that it is possibly due to network overload and disruptions cused by flooding.
Just hope I am right in this...
According to last satellite pics from NOAA the storm Ondoy (international name "Ketsana") left Philippines and is headig eastwards while gaining strenght over open waters. :NoNo:

Last NOAA satellite image:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/products/4KMIRIMG/2009WP17_4KMIRIMG_200909261713.GIF

Westerly, will build up over the next 24 hours, then dissipate quickly.

Ji&Ma
26th September 2009, 19:59
Westerly, will build up over the next 24 hours, then dissipate quickly.

Ohhh sorry :doh :doh :doh
Plonker I am indeed... :NoNo:
My apologies :ARsurrender:

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 11:01
Update for the Las Pinas Zapote & Pulanglupa area is that the waters have receeded somewhat and power appears to be back on, like all of us I was worried that I would lose contact with my family because the cellphones would all be lowbat in a day or so.

Just spoke to Ana, I could tell she was on a Jeepney so the roads must be starting to be passable again and she says things are much better, plus my son is out of the hospital now.

Jim

IainBusby
27th September 2009, 11:26
The BBC have started to post some coverage now.
Dozens dead in Philippine floods (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8276347.stm)

It seems the best TV news coverage with regards to anything to do with the Philippines in general is usually to be found on Aljazeera, Sky TV channel 514. On there the floods in Manila is the lead story.

Iain.

johncar54
27th September 2009, 11:40
Iain, Thanks, I had not thought of Aljazeera Channel 514 on Sky

jimeve
27th September 2009, 11:43
Wife had a lucky escape, she was in Las Pinas last week, another week she would have been hit.

My heart goes out to the unfortunate ones who lost their homes and life's.

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 11:46
It seems the best TV news coverage with regards to anything to do with the Philippines in general is usually to be found on Aljazeera, Sky TV channel 514. On there the floods in Manila is the lead story.

Iain.

Thanks Iain. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
27th September 2009, 11:47
Ian, Thanks, I had not thought of Aljazeera Channel 514 on Sky

It's always worth a look, they seem to do quite a lot of coverage of events in the Philippines.

KeithD
27th September 2009, 11:54
It seems the best TV news coverage with regards to anything to do with the Philippines in general is usually to be found on Aljazeera
Iain.
Best news channel if you want to know what's going on in the world, also the French News channel, UK news has gone all American and insular.

mickcant
27th September 2009, 12:05

Iain.

Hi all, is there a freeview channel number for thoes who do not have Sky?
I have been trying the internet links posted before but only seem to see clips from programmes not the programmes and no news channel?
Mick.

IainBusby
27th September 2009, 12:06
Best news channel if you want to know what's going on in the world, also the French News channel, UK news has gone all American and insular.

If you mean France 24, Sky channel 513, I agree wholeheartedly. I think that the coverage of world events on both of these channels is also a lot more unbiased than the UK or American channels.

jimeve
27th September 2009, 12:09
If you mean France 24, Sky channel 513, I agree wholeheartedly. I think that the coverage of world events on both of these channels is also a lot more unbiased than the UK or American channels.

Won't it be in French :Erm:

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 12:17
Hi all, is there a freeview channel number for thoes who do not have Sky?
I have been trying the internet links posted before but only seem to see clips from programmes not the programmes and no news channel?
Mick.

Try this Mick

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Jim

KeithD
27th September 2009, 12:19
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

5olidsnake
27th September 2009, 12:54
List of addresses of flood-stranded people needing rescue (with interactive map) (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173248/list-of-addresses-of-flood-stranded-people-needing-rescue-with-interactive-map)

IainBusby
27th September 2009, 12:56
Won't it be in French :Erm:
No it's in English!

jimeve
27th September 2009, 13:01
No it's in English!

Getting mixed up with TV5.

lenlen
27th September 2009, 13:34

Jim

Hello Everyone.
Sorry to hear the news about Philippines Typoon.Love to all the People in the Philippines.

Tawi2
27th September 2009, 18:05
:Erm: I just watched BBC 1 news showing the terrible scenes of flood devestation in Manila,the report ended and the reporter gave his name and location Alastair ???????(didnt catch his last name)BANGKOK :Erm:He is either geographically challenged or reporting on the flooding from the luxurious confines of the Bangkok Marriott 1400 miles away :Erm:

Sis Suze
27th September 2009, 18:15
Hi everyone, just heard the news about the floods...hope everyones relatives are safe evn though the belongings are gone! i know someone in Paranaque City in Manila but don't know if they're OK or not. No response from text message.

All positive thoughts going out to everyone
xxxx

Sis Suze
27th September 2009, 18:16
:Erm: I just watched BBC 1 news showing the terrible scenes of flood devestation in Manila,the report ended and the reporter gave his name and location Alastair ???????(didnt catch his last name)BANGKOK :Erm:He is either geographically challenged or reporting on the flooding from the luxurious confines of the Bangkok Marriott 1400 miles away :Erm:

Yes I caught that too....guess he forgot where he was in all the chaos...lol :doh

GaryFifer
27th September 2009, 19:06
Investment in roads and suitable housing has never been a priority with the filipino government, loads of money has been spent on shopping malls and high rise developments, which are way out of the league of the normal filipino salary... The government have not invested in any major development for the poor and needy..... The country is run by a few big families, who suck the life blood out of the filipinos....This is very sad to see the reports on the news, of people who have very little loosing everything..... While the rich living inthere high rises and large houses in protected villages will hardly notice the chaos for the majority of the filipinos. I had to just laugh, though , they showed a bulletin on sky news, with GMA, in a meeting , with her black shinny raincoat on, as if she is saying to people, i am there in the flooded streets with you.. her hair was immaculate ....... :angry:

Ok this is off-topic but at this time, we are glad the government did something good and helped the people. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Why wait till now to complain that people have nothing. Just because of the storm? Before or after the storm, things will stay the same unless Filipinos build the government they want. It is a complex situation many money is owed to other governments though.

Marcos is alive and well and living in Taguig. Get your money back from her lavish apartments. Sell it all. Have a revolution.The church is too powerful there too. I often wonder how much influence they have on laws like lowest age to have sex is 12. What on earth is right with that?

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 20:02

They drop some right howlers sometimes do the beeb. :)

didn't see this one but I've heard their reporters do this before, too often.

Jim

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 20:06
Ok this is off-topic but at this time, we are glad the government did something good and helped the people. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Why wait till now to complain that people have nothing. Just because of the storm? Before or after the storm, things will stay the same unless Filipinos build the government they want. It is a complex situation many money is owed to other governments though.

Marcos is alive and well and living in Taguig. Get your money back from her lavish apartments. Sell it all. Have a revolution.The church is too powerful there too. I often wonder how much influence they have on laws like lowest age to have sex is 12. What on earth is right with that?

Good post gary2jessica :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jim

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 20:15
Hi everyone, just heard the news about the floods...hope everyones relatives are safe evn though the belongings are gone! i know someone in Paranaque City in Manila but don't know if they're OK or not. No response from text message.

xxxx

yep stuff is not important, but I really do feel for those who have lost everything, starting again from scratch is not easy anywhere.

And obviously it is tragic for those who have lost family :(

jim

LEAHnew
27th September 2009, 20:20
List of addresses of flood-stranded people needing rescue (with interactive map) (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173248/list-of-addresses-of-flood-stranded-people-needing-rescue-with-interactive-map)

:NoNo::NoNo:most areas are very familiar to me especially in Rizal Province all the way to Marikina City, I stayed at my auntie's house at San Mateo Rizal for almost 8 years for my college and had my first job in Marikina City... while watching it..it's really terrible:NoNo: my Dad told me, my auntie's family are safe coz they managed to stayed at the 2nd floor:cwm34:Thank God, but it's really traumatic exprience for them and lots of adjustment in their surroundings:cwm34:

GaryFifer
27th September 2009, 20:30
That BBC pundit, must have got his wires crossed United Nations climate talks are in Bangkok. The WWF are running a bad taste media campaign because of the floods. They say Philippine floods are wake-up call for negotiators in Bangkok. Majority of people are for fighting climate change, but to use human suffering to highlight their cause stinks.

LadyJ
27th September 2009, 21:22
Im originally from Quezon City and one of my relatives place is flooded upto adult's neck and all his computers (internet cafe business) are now all wet or destroyed, well never mind the computers, Im just hoping that they're all OK though.

I've also seen the video on Sky news and its really terrible. It's another sad day for all of us.

LadyJ
27th September 2009, 21:26

xxxx

Hi Suze thanks for your thoughts:Hellooo: I hope your friend is OK:cwm3:

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 21:31
Im originally from Quezon City and one of my relatives place is flooded upto adult's neck and all his computers (internet cafe business) are now all wet or destroyed, well never mind the computers, Im just hoping that they're all OK though.

I've also seen the video on Sky news and its really terrible. It's another sad day for all of us.

Ladyj this is my big fear for the nation, huge numbers of small local businesses will be wiped out, stock ruined, infrastructure destroyed few resources to start again :(

jim

LadyJ
27th September 2009, 21:36
Ladyj this is my big fear for the nation, huge numbers of small local businesses will be wiped out, stock ruined, infrastructure destroyed few resources to start again :(

jim

I know and its very sad to think that:bigcry: specially to those families who have just tiny houses build from bits of pieces of wood and now just wiped out.

LadyJ
27th September 2009, 21:40
why mother of nature always strikes on poor countries just like Philippines?:NoNo:

Pepe n Pilar
27th September 2009, 21:48
I guess it is not because it is a poor country, it is because of the georgraphical location. It is in the tropics hence the typhoons. Other countries has also experience natural disasters such as USA has hurricanes and tornadoes, Canada has ice storms, Australia has bush fires and Japan has earthquakes.

:)

LadyJ
27th September 2009, 21:51
It is not because it is a poor country, it is because of the georgraphical location. It is in the tropics hence the typhoons. Other countries has also experience natural disasters such as USA has hurricanes and tornadoes, Canada has ice storms, Australia has bush fires. Japan has earthquakes.

Yeah I know that...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

can we just choose instead of what natural disaster can strike to Phils?:Erm:

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 21:54
It is not because it is a poor country, it is because of the georgraphical location. It is in the tropics hence the typhoons. Other countries has also experience natural disasters such as USA has hurricanes and tornadoes, Canada has ice storms, Australia has bush fires and Japan has earthquakes.

:)

We get the extremes here too but the scope is much more limited.

This was an exceptional typhoon and sadly many of the poor nations are in the equatorial regions :(

jim

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 21:59
Yeah I know that...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

can we just choose instead of what natural disaster can strike to Phils?:Erm:

I think a lot of us feel the same pain, frustration and despair :(

I really wish we had the choice, it just seems sometimes to be one thing after another :(

jim

KeithD
28th September 2009, 08:47
why mother of nature always strikes on poor countries just like Philippines?:NoNo:
Kansas, Florida, Texas, Australia, Oregon, Switzerland, Kobi :Erm:

Sis Suze
28th September 2009, 13:15
My friend has sent me a number of pictures of the floods if anyone wants them? If so, how to I post them on here please?

JimOttley
28th September 2009, 13:33
My friend has sent me a number of pictures of the floods if anyone wants them? If so, how to I post them on here please?

I've not tried this myself but if you use the Quote button to do a quoted reply then scroll down a bit there is a "Manage Attachments" button that should allow you to attach the pics Suze.

Jim

Sis Suze
28th September 2009, 15:23
I've not tried this myself but if you use the Quote button to do a quoted reply then scroll down a bit there is a "Manage Attachments" button that should allow you to attach the pics Suze.

Jim

Hope this works...I have a couple more too

Sis Suze
28th September 2009, 15:25
Hope this works...I have a couple more too

Doesn't seem to be working this time :Erm:

Sis Suze
28th September 2009, 15:25
Ah....yes it did
xxx

Sis Suze
28th September 2009, 15:26

Jim

Thanks very much for that...seemed to have worked OK xx

pumpkins
28th September 2009, 15:32

hi sis suze..
its very tragic.. i feel sad when i watching those families who lost their love ones..
anyway, thanks for the pictures...

JimOttley
28th September 2009, 17:54

Thanks for the pics Suze, looking at that brings it all home.

My family have been lucky the house needed thorough cleaning and we're maybe going to lose a couple of couches but that's nothing compared to the plight of so many others.

Jim

Sis Suze
28th September 2009, 18:46
I wonder whether any of the aid agencies are going to start anything to collect clothing and other items for the people affected by this disaster?
I know we can send cash but to be honest, I don't have much left after filling my balikbayan box so would be easier for me to get clothing etc to be sent, either by the Red Cross or Oxfam or suchlike organisations. If anyone hears of anything, please let me know
Suze
xxxx

LadyJ
28th September 2009, 19:49
I wonder whether any of the aid agencies are going to start anything to collect clothing and other items for the people affected by this disaster?
I know we can send cash but to be honest, I don't have much left after filling my balikbayan box so would be easier for me to get clothing etc to be sent, either by the Red Cross or Oxfam or suchlike organisations. If anyone hears of anything, please let me know
Suze
xxxx

Aw bless your heart Suze:xxgrinning--00xx3:

GaryFifer
28th September 2009, 20:03
I think the most important thing, would be clean water for sanitation,drinking and rice right now. I saw some of the military giving it rice. Does WATER AID work there, or any organisation similar to this?

I checked their web page, but they mostly work in third world countries.

I asked them if they had any plans, so I will hope to hear from them soon
WATER AID (http://www.wateraid.org/uk/default.asp)

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 20:46
The country is run by a few big families, who suck the life blood out of the filipinos

I think that's the only thing that will ever really change things in the Philippines. As Mike said, the majority of the wealth and power in the Philippines is in the hands of a few families and on top of that, the power that the catholic church weilds within the state is also to the detriment of Filipinos in general.

Iain.

GaryFifer
28th September 2009, 21:19
I think that's the only thing that will ever really change things in the Philippines. As Mike said, the majority of the wealth and power in the Philippines is in the hands of a few families and on top of that, the power that the catholic church weilds within the state is also to the detriment of Filipinos in general.

Iain.

Well Scotland kicked out the Catholics through fire and brimestone, perhaps they need someone like John Knox to stir things up. Catholics- you are your churches do not get to be millionaires while people starve. They are your rules- stick to them or abandon the faith.:ARsurrender:

donrobert
29th September 2009, 08:51
Let us pray for our country men... two more typhoons are slated to hit the philippines

Pepe n Pilar
29th September 2009, 13:56
I can't believe it:NoNo::bigcry:. As i was watching the gma news on my laptop i can't hold my tears:bigcry::bigcry:from falling down my cheeks. My heart goes to those that are affected by the typhoon Ondoy. I just learned the latest news that Angat Dam will release 100 cu.m/ second so there are towns in Bulacan that will be affected again:NoNo:. Ang there is an upcoming cyclone Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. I just hope it won't be this severe anymore or will divert away from the country.

I have called my relatives last Saturday, Sunday and this morning as well. I just want to make sure if everyone is ok. Luckily all of them are safe and their houses are not affected:xxgrinning--00xx3:. A sister works in Kalentong Mandaluyong and her workplace was flooded up to the 2nd floor. She left at 3pm Sat and arrived in her house at 3am Sun and was surprised there was no flood in her place. She has still the internet connection and i was able to talk to her. A brother lives in East Fairview and he said his place was not flooded but no landline connection. The flood was just outside the village. It was in West Fairview where the flood was severe. A brother in QC was not affected as well he said they were still able to attend their church the ffg day.

I called this morning to know the updates about the aftermath of the typhoon and to wish my sister a happy birthday. It took me awhile before i was able to speak to my sister because i was watching the news again:bigcry:. I was touched and i pity the families that have lost their houses, businesses and family members. When i talked to my older sister she can't hear me well for she and her family was in Megamall. She said they were in a hotel in Pasig last night with her family. She said SM Marikina was also affected by floods. They were so thankful they are all ok and are preparing some goods for donation. My son told me he will bring some goods, clothings to the St James Church and to his school in Alabang where there are repacking of goods to be delivered to Manila. When I told him and the rest of the family to donate, they said they are already preparing for it:). I was so happy to know that they themselves has ransacked their closets to choose some clothes for donation:). And he said he will offer his help by bringing the goods (he will be with the group of volunteers)because he is very thankful everyone in the family is fine. Some villages in Makati were flooded as well like San Lorenzo Village where his classmate lives.

I'm just so thankful my immediate family members are all safe:):xxgrinning--00xx3:.

JimOttley
29th September 2009, 18:15
I can't believe it:NoNo::bigcry:. As i was watching the gma news on my laptop i can't hold my tears:bigcry::bigcry:from falling down my cheeks. My heart goes to those that are affected by the typhoon Ondoy. I just learned the latest news that Angat Dam will release 100 cu.m/ second so there are towns in Bulacan that will be affected again:NoNo:. Ang there is an upcoming cyclone Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. I just hope it won't be this severe anymore or will divert away from the country.

I have called my relatives last Saturday, Sunday and this morning as well. I just want to make sure if everyone is ok. Luckily all of them are safe and their houses are not affected:xxgrinning--00xx3:. A sister works in Kalentong Mandaluyong and her workplace was flooded up to the 2nd floor. She left at 3pm Sat and arrived in her house at 3am Sun and was surprised there was no flood in her place. She has still the internet connection and i was able to talk to her. A brother lives in East Fairview and he said his place was not flooded but no landline connection. The flood was just outside the village. It was in West Fairview where the flood was severe. A brother in QC was not affected as well he said they were still able to attend their church the ffg day.

I called this morning to know the updates about the aftermath of the typhoon and to wish my sister a happy birthday. It took me awhile before i was able to speak to my sister because i was watching the news again:bigcry:. I was touched and i pity the families that have lost their houses, businesses and family members. When i talked to my older sister she can't hear me well for she and her family was in Megamall. She said they were in a hotel in Pasig last night with her family. She said SM Marikina was also affected by floods. They were so thankful they are all ok and are preparing some goods for donation. My son told me he will bring some goods, clothings to the St James Church and to his school in Alabang where there are repacking of goods to be delivered to Manila. When I told him and the rest of the family to donate, they said they are already preparing for it:). I was so happy to know that they themselves has ransacked their closets to choose some clothes for donation:). And he said he will offer his help by bringing the goods (he will be with the group of volunteers)because he is very thankful everyone in the family is fine. Some villages in Makati were flooded as well like San Lorenzo Village where his classmate lives.

I'm just so thankful my immediate family members are all safe:):xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Very glad your family are ok Pepe n Pilar, these are terrible times for the Philippines. My family is ok as well and Ana has told me she was crying too while watching the hardship of everyone on the news.

The Angat Dam report is for a release of 500 cubic metres per second to reduce the water level in the Dam by two metres, they seem to think it is not an unusual level of release so let's hope they know what they are doing and don't overload the rivers downstream.

I just hope that there are no outbreaks of disease as a result of all the flooding.

Jim