PDA

View Full Version : Those coming to the UK

bless.books
27th September 2009, 11:48
Hello to the women coming to the UK!

I know how excited you are to come over UK for all sorts of reason, I am assuming that you are all coming over to be with your love/sweetheart and I can imagine how excited you all are.

Just some pointers for you to add on your list do/have before coming over. Of course it is not compulsary. You can do without it but just a thought.

1. Major dental work (have it done there, much cheaper).
2. Contact lenses/Glasses.
3. Driving Lessons (if you have time, much much cheaper there).
4. If Mama Sita is part of your cooking, bring it loads.
5. Open two accounts at BPI, one for you, one for your trusted one. Then enrol it online, so that you can send money online. It would be much cheaper that way. Once you are here, remit a big about to your BPi, then from this BPI account, send as much/many as you want without having to pay the fee everytime.
6. Enroll you credit card as well, so you can pay online.
7. Put all your documents in one place/folder and careful not to lose it.

Okay, that's it for now ... will update late. maybe others can add too.

LittleFingers
27th September 2009, 12:49

I know how excited you are to come over UK for all sorts of reason, I am assuming that you are all coming over to be with your love/sweetheart and I can imagine how excited you all are.

Just some pointers for you to add on your list do/have before coming over. Of course it is not compulsary. You can do without it but just a thought.

5. Open two accounts at BPI, one for you, one for your trusted one. Then enrol it online, so that you can send money online. It would be much cheaper that way. Once you are here, remit a big about to your BPi, then from this BPI account, send as much/many as you want without having to pay the fee everytime.

and if coming on a fiance visit - are you entitled to free NHS treatment?

aromulus
27th September 2009, 12:59

1 - Agree on that
2 - Ditto
3 - It is not recommended as the licence would be valid for only 12 months in the uK, and you would have to take the full UK tests before that time to be able to continue driving. (Foreign licence... Insurance premiums very expensive)
4 - Don't bother.... Any Philipino store stocks that stuff nowadays, and you would only waste valuable space in your luggage.
5 - Agree
6 - Agree
7 - Agree

bless.books
3rd October 2009, 00:37

Hello littlefingers! I am not totally sure fiancee visa status but I know that, any foreigner who comes over will be helped without question if under emergency. Are you coming on a fianee visit?

bless.books
3rd October 2009, 00:53
1 - Agree on that

3 - It is not recommended as the licence would be valid for only 12 months in the uK, and you would have to take the full UK tests before that time to be able to continue driving. (Foreign licence... Insurance premiums very expensive)

Hello aromulus! Thank you for adding more info. I just would like to mention some points about taking driving lessons at home - mainly for those who don't drive and intending to drive. Driving lessons here in UK cost a bomb and it would help if they take lessons there at home. Cost of 1 hr. lesson here is about £25 more or less. With that amount in Philippines Peso is almost like 5-10 hours of lessons. Just the basic lessons will do and not to the full extent of getting a driving license, as you have indicated, there are disadvantages. I've known/met Filipinas here in UK that took them 2 years more or less just to learn how to drive ... quite a lot of money.

estherboaz
3rd October 2009, 08:45

No.

estherboaz
3rd October 2009, 08:49

to add for number 5. you need to open a BPI star account in Earls Court or Threadneddle to replenish the Bpi original account you opened in Pinas.

pumpkins
3rd October 2009, 10:37
The filipino driving licence is not valid in the UK for obvious reasons

i think i read it somewhere here that you can drive for 1 year with philippine drivers license
just correct me if i am wrong:doh

LEAHnew
3rd October 2009, 15:02

I'm not sure what kind of NHS treatment you wanted :Erm: but as a fiancee holder IMO you can register easily. In my experience just after 3 days I arrived here in UK (as fiancee visa) and been registered quickly and got my NHS card after a week, and had my first visit to GP already :):xxgrinning--00xx3:btw it's a family planning concern and got free pills as well:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:
As fiancee you can use this NHS card for your identification for marrying purpose and applying FLR:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ann07
3rd October 2009, 15:48
I'm not sure what kind of NHS treatment you wanted :Erm: but as a fiancee holder IMO you can register easily. In my experience just after 3 days I arrived here in UK (as fiancee visa) and been registered quickly and got my NHS card after a week, and had my first visit to GP already :):xxgrinning--00xx3:btw it's a family planning concern and got free pills as well:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:
As fiancee you can use this NHS card for your identification for marrying purpose and applying FLR:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Agree:xxgrinning--00xx3: I came on a fiancee visa here too and was able to register to nhs quickly:)

Ann07
3rd October 2009, 15:50
i think i read it somewhere here that you can drive for 1 year with philippine drivers license
just correct me if i am wrong:doh

yes, you are right provided its an international driving licence you've got:)

Ayjay
3rd October 2009, 18:00

Thank God for that...

AJ

aromulus
3rd October 2009, 19:06

What reasons are they, then...?:Erm:

When my wife arrived, I made some enquiries and was told that, yes, she could have driven for the first 12 months only.

So much so, that I included her name on my insurance policy, without hiding any details, and my premium was actually reduced by a considerable amount....:D

But if she was to be insured from scratch, then it would have been well over £1500 a year.:Erm:
Silly situation, huh...?:doh

xebec
3rd October 2009, 19:12
Agree:xxgrinning--00xx3: I came on a fiancee visa here too and was able to register to nhs quickly:)

I think local practice varies. Daisy, on a fiance visa, tried to register with my surgery and they wouldnt register her: had to be on a visa lasting more than 6 months which they considered would be "permanent residency" Referred us to the local hospital GP service if we needed it and free emergency service at the hospital if necessary.

As discussed before the official advice reads ambiguously.

Family planning I believe is treated slightly differently.

Daisy's advice would be to bring sinigang mix, mangos and bagoong alamang.

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 19:48
What reasons are they, then...?:Erm:

When my wife arrived, I made some enquiries and was told that, yes, she could have driven for the first 12 months only.

So much so, that I included her name on my insurance policy, without hiding any details, and my premium was actually reduced by a considerable amount....:D

But if she was to be insured from scratch, then it would have been well over £1500 a year.:Erm:
Silly situation, huh...?:doh

only can drive dom for a yr if your misses converted it to an international one, no practical test in the phils thats why :D..

my misses insurance was around £850, 3yrs later its now only £420 3rd party.

happyboy
9th October 2009, 16:08
may i ask the minimum wage per hour there in london? im about to work there this coming december

aromulus
9th October 2009, 20:31
only can drive dom for a yr if your misses converted it to an international one, no practical test in the phils thats why :D..

my misses insurance was around £850, 3yrs later its now only £420 3rd party.

Today a bloke gave me a nice juicy order, and as he is a driving instructor, I am going to get him to teach Jet. ( he may just order a few more windows, next year...)
He is quite cheap too, compared to the rest...:rolleyes:

Sadly gone are the days of £10 an hour....:doh

xebec
9th October 2009, 22:44
may i ask the minimum wage per hour there in london? im about to work there this coming december

National minimum wage £5.73 per hour

bless.books
11th October 2009, 23:11
to add for number 5. you need to open a BPI star account in Earls Court or Threadneddle to replenish the Bpi original account you opened in Pinas.

Hello estherboaz. If I may say, one does not need to open any BPI account neither home nor here. Doing so, will be a cheaper option.

pennybarry
12th October 2009, 10:51
Done

Reading glasses done

Done

Done

Not really needed if you have IREMIT Visa/ Xoom

NO to Debts:omg::icon_lol::D

Done

bornatbirth
12th October 2009, 10:56
YOUR wife is not covered on your insurance, you should check straight away, i know this because my son had a filipino licence and it is not valid for insurance purposes. you did not tell them the truth, and she is breaking the law by driving. I suggest that you tell the insurance company the truth straight away, then see how much your premium will go up....But at the end of the day if she has an accident you could loose a lot more

:Erm: how do you know this?