PDA

View Full Version : New UK Border Force

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 21:08
The New UK Border Force is on now, Sky 1 Channel 106.

Dedworth
28th September 2009, 21:48
Border Farce would be more apt

KeithD
29th September 2009, 08:39
At least we have one now that can be improved.

IainBusby
29th September 2009, 10:52

I think they do a good job but they are hampered by the weakness of the system. It's about time they kept illegal immigrants in custody, whether they have passposts or not until they can be removed from the country.
Iain.

bornatbirth
29th September 2009, 10:58
I think they do a good job but they are hampered by the weakness of the system. It's about time they kept illegal immigrants in custody, whether they have passposts or not until they can be removed from the country.
Iain.

do they really? :Erm:

i saw a tv show when the police caught 2 of them and took them to the local office to register,the police left and after the 2 them of walked off into the cash in hand sunset :NoNo:

darren-b
29th September 2009, 12:37
Iain.

But who is going to pay the cost of keeping them in custody for maybe up to a year? Should it be the tax payer or should it be paid for by the UKBA? I am sure there would be lots of unhappy people on here (though not me personally...) if they announced that they were doubling the price of visas to keep more illegal immigrants in custody.

KeithD
29th September 2009, 13:10
Common sense...Develop a fasttrack system to deport. Other EU countries manage it, while we pussy foot around the Human Rights act.

IainBusby
29th September 2009, 16:24
Common sense...Develop a fasttrack system to deport. Other EU countries manage it, while we pussy foot around the Human Rights act.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I heard the guy on last nights program say that you can get an emergency travel document within 24 hours from the Nigerian embassy so I wouldn't be surprised if most embassies do the same. If the illegal imigrants knew the system had changed and they couldn't just work the system by claiming they hadn't any documents and they were likely to spend quite a while in a detention centre with the same end result (deportation), then I'm sure they'd would be queuing up to show their passports or apply for emergency travel documents once they had been caught.

I think there might be some initial extra expense until the problem was brought under control, but in the long run I think it would save millions of pounds and improve the job prospects of those who were born here or are legally entitled to be here.

Iain.

darren-b
29th September 2009, 19:57

You mean like France who just tend to release them as they know they are heading for the UK anyway?

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I heard the guy on last nights program say that you can get an emergency travel document within 24 hours from the Nigerian embassy so I wouldn't be surprised if most embassies do the same. If the illegal imigrants knew the system had changed and they couldn't just work the system by claiming they hadn't any documents and they were likely to spend quite a while in a detention centre with the same end result (deportation), then I'm sure they'd would be queuing up to show their passports or apply for emergency travel documents once they had been caught.

I think there might be some initial extra expense until the problem was brought under control, but in the long run I think it would save millions of pounds and improve the job prospects of those who were born here or are legally entitled to be here.

Iain.

There will be a lot of initial expenses - the UKBA would have to be prepared to lock up every illegal immigrant they catch that they couldn't prove the identity of until they admitted who they were. I agree with the idea, just can't see any of the mainstream parties implementing it.

Dedworth
29th September 2009, 22:35
But who is going to pay the cost of keeping them in custody for maybe up to a year? Should it be the tax payer or should it be paid for by the UKBA? I am sure there would be lots of unhappy people on here (though not me personally...) if they announced that they were doubling the price of visas to keep more illegal immigrants in custody.

:confused::confused:

As far as I'm aware the UKBA hasn't been privatised and is part of the Home Office so it is all paid for by the taxpayer

darren-b
30th September 2009, 07:17
:confused::confused:

As far as I'm aware the UKBA hasn't been privatised and is part of the Home Office so it is all paid for by the taxpayer

Not all of it - the UKBA receives some funding from the visa fees. The jusification for the increased cost in visas in recent years has been to pay for the increased cost of securing the UK borders.

Admittedly some of the visas are paid for by the British spouse (a UK taxpayer..) so technically in some cases it is really a tax on marrying a non-EU citizen.

KeithD
30th September 2009, 08:56
Not all of it - the UKBA receives some funding from the visa fees. The jusification for the increased cost in visas in recent years has been to pay for the increased cost of securing the UK borders.
Every time I visit the USA I pay a $5 premium to cover border security charges, that's fine with me, even though it is a tax :)

darren-b
30th September 2009, 09:17

Admittedly some of the visas are paid for by the British spouse (a UK taxpayer..) so technically in some cases it is really a tax on marrying a non-EU citizen.

Just to back up my comment

http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/Lords/ByDate/20090326/mainchamberdebates/part011.html

"For 2009-10, we will spend about £2.2 billion on securing our borders and managing the immigration system. There is widespread agreement with the Government’s policy that those who benefit from the services should contribute towards the cost of the system. In total, about 30 per cent of the costs of securing our borders and managing the system are recovered through charging for applications and services. The remaining costs are met by the UK taxpayer."

Dedworth
30th September 2009, 15:39
Just to back up my comment

http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/Lords/ByDate/20090326/mainchamberdebates/part011.html

"For 2009-10, we will spend about £2.2 billion on securing our borders and managing the immigration system. There is widespread agreement with the Government’s policy that those who benefit from the services should contribute towards the cost of the system. In total, about 30 per cent of the costs of securing our borders and managing the system are recovered through charging for applications and services. The remaining costs are met by the UK taxpayer."

I wonder who this "widespread agreement" is from ? A Labour "focus group" perhaps ?

I've no problem with paying my taxes towards services that the whole country benefits from and to this end I would like to see massive investment made in both the UKBA and provision of huge detention camps to hold those caught here illegally. These camps should be austere with no luxuries of any kind and the regime hard but fair..........word would soon filter out to the would be male wife abandoning asylum seekers camped out in Calais etc that the UK was no longer a soft touch and they would soon turn their energies to seeking asylum elsewhere.

somebody
30th September 2009, 20:32
Every time I visit the USA I pay a $5 premium to cover border security charges, that's fine with me, even though it is a tax :)

Never seen an ilegal in the USA so must be working:D

KeithD
30th September 2009, 20:45
Never seen an ilegal in the USA so must be working:D
All the whites are illegal. :rolleyes:

somebody
30th September 2009, 21:01

Indeed

IainBusby
30th September 2009, 21:07

That's true, the native indians should round them all up and send them back where they came from........... oops, what am I saying, most of them came from here. :yikes:

somebody
30th September 2009, 21:23
That's true, the native indians should round them all up and send them back where they came from........... oops, what am I saying, most of them came from here. :yikes:

Coventry:Erm: The West Orchards Shopping mall should be a tad busy:D

IainBusby
30th September 2009, 21:35
Coventry:Erm: The West Orchards Shopping mall should be a tad busy:D

Naa, the yanks wouldn't go there, they'd say, call that a shopping mall, it can't be it's far too small, why back home we've got malls that are so big....... blah blah blah.....