PDA

View Full Version : swine flu vaccine..would you have it?

maria_and_matt
29th September 2009, 20:22
with an underlying health condition, my surgery wrote to me today to ask if i would consider having the vaccine in oct.... :NoNo: i really dont know know if i want it.. what do you guys think?

KeithD
29th September 2009, 21:06
:Erm: Why not.

If you have a health condition you should be getting the noraml flu vaccine every year. I get mine on Thursday :xxgrinning--00xx3: .....and maybe Swine flu next week.

If you have an underlying health condition you stand a very higher chance of dying from the illness+flu than a healthy person.

maria_and_matt
29th September 2009, 21:10
im scared:NoNo:, i ean have they even tested this vaccine properly, :bigcry:

JimOttley
29th September 2009, 23:38

They use the same basic technology to generate the flu vaccine every year and have been doing so since the early 1940's.

It doesn't always work but it's a pretty safe vaccine, don't worry about it.

Jim

KeithD
30th September 2009, 09:26
Of course it is tested to the normal rigourous safety checks, and past with flying colours in independent tests in Australia, USA and the EU.

maria_and_matt
30th September 2009, 09:35
Of course it is tested to the normal rigourous safety checks, and past with flying colours in independent tests in Australia, USA and the EU.

my husband insisted tha i should have it, if something goes wrong i will haunt his :action-smiley-081: to kingdom come:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Arthur Little
30th September 2009, 10:13
... if something goes wrong i will haunt his :action-smiley-081: to kingdom come ... icon_lol::icon_lol:

... and that's the "bottom" :butthead: line, is it, Maria? Nah, seriously, from what both Keith and Jim have said, it seems a pretty safe bet that all will be well as far as this particular vaccine is concerned. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Besides, it'll keep your Matt happy!

maria_and_matt
30th September 2009, 10:31
... and that's the "bottom" :butthead: line, is it, Maria? Nah, seriously, from what both Keith and Jim have said, it seems a pretty safe bet that all will be well as far as this particular vaccine is concerned. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Besides, it'll keep your Matt happy!

:icon_lol::icon_lol: we are having the vaccination together (my matt has asthma)... i hope everything goes well

pumpkins
30th September 2009, 11:59
:icon_lol::icon_lol: we are having the vaccination together (my matt has asthma)... i hope everything goes well

you are lucky to have swine flu vaccine..its for your health girl :)

maria_and_matt
30th September 2009, 12:54
you are lucky to have swine flu vaccine..its for your health girl :)

you dont have it where u are pumpkin?

GaryFifer
30th September 2009, 13:00

If you have a health condition you should be getting the noraml flu vaccine every year. I get mine on Thursday :xxgrinning--00xx3: .....and maybe Swine flu next week.

If you have an underlying health condition you stand a very higher chance of dying from the illness+flu than a healthy person.

What is classification underlying health condition? I never get info about this. I on epilepsy tablets and in remission for testicular cancer. I guess it is if you have problem with lungs before.

gWaPito
30th September 2009, 13:07
you dont have it where u are pumpkin?

Hi Maria,

Pumpkins is still in the land of corruption and smiling faces hence, no injection available.
We are both praying our heads off she can come back with me late November :)

maria_and_matt
30th September 2009, 13:15
Hi Maria,

Pumpkins is still in the land of corruption and smiling faces hence, no injection available.
We are both praying our heads off she can come back with me late November :)

:icon_lol::icon_lol:if she goes to er doctor there is a vaccine at a cost... my nices and nephew had them already

IainBusby
30th September 2009, 13:34

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I get one every year as well, it's nothing to worry about, the swine flu vaccine will be just the same as all of the other flu vaccines they've been giving people for years because it's made exactly the same way and remember, most of the take up for these annual vaccines are people who are generally quite vulnerable like old age pensioners and people with weakened immune systems etc.

Iain.

gWaPito
30th September 2009, 13:41
:icon_lol::icon_lol:if she goes to er doctor there is a vaccine at a cost... my nices and nephew had them already

Like our leader said ''if you have health issues'' it would be wise to get, so you get!
luckily we don't have, we ''don't want to fix what isn't broken.'' :D

KeithD
30th September 2009, 14:59
My doctor is giving me a little prick tomorrow :action-smiley-081:

GaryFifer
30th September 2009, 17:27
Like i said, I want to know in more detail who the target population for the vaccine is..

WHO recommendations for pandemic (H1N1) 2009 vaccination

* vaccinating healthcare workers should be first priority
* individual countries will need to determine priority of vaccination for other groups based on country-specific conditions, groups may include

o pregnant women
o children > 6 months old and adults with specific chronic medical conditions
o healthy young adults aged 15-49 years
o healthy children
o healthy adults aged 50-64 years
o healthy adults ≥ 65 years old

Source- Harford Hospital Health Library (http://www.harthosp.org/HealthLibrary/SwineInfluenza/default.aspx)

KeithD
30th September 2009, 18:04
I come under No.1 :cwm24: I caught it off Mrs Daddy :omg:

belfast_dude
30th September 2009, 20:48
i work in the N.H.S....i will take the flu vaccine...and the swine flu vaccine...partly because of my job...but part of me wants it to....the good thing about the swine flu vaccine...is it is not a live vaccine...so hopefully no bad side effects...i hope..lol

KeithD
1st October 2009, 08:55
i work in the N.H.S....
That explains a lot about the health service then :icon_lol:

maria_and_matt
1st October 2009, 10:18

ur having your flu shot today... i hate needles... i hope ur not:icon_lol:

maria_and_matt
1st October 2009, 10:19
i work in the N.H.S....i will take the flu vaccine...and the swine flu vaccine...partly because of my job...but part of me wants it to....the good thing about the swine flu vaccine...is it is not a live vaccine...so hopefully no bad side effects...i hope..lol

i hope so too:NoNo:

KeithD
1st October 2009, 11:04
ur having your flu shot today... i hate needles... i hope ur not:icon_lol:
Had it an hour ago....still here :Hellooo:

maria_and_matt
1st October 2009, 16:01

good to hear you are still amongst the living:icon_lol:

Ayjay
1st October 2009, 16:12

It is my understanding that most seniors have some level of natural immunity towards this virus..?? And that its the younger folks that are most vulnerable..??

AJ

triple5
1st October 2009, 16:49
It is my understanding that most seniors have some level of natural immunity towards this virus..?? And that its the younger folks that are most vulnerable..??

AJ

I believe that's right, it's most common in males 15-35 so I read.

JimOttley
1st October 2009, 17:57

AJ

It is impossible to state anything with any certainty, the influenza virus is extremely prone to mutation.

In the 1918-1920 flu pandemic the first wave affected young healthy adults, by the time the much more deadly second wave came round it had mutated a bit and the primary victims were back to being the elderly and children.

The big fear is that the pattern of this virus is strikingly similar so far to the 1918 outbreak and the worry is that the second wave, like the 1918 virus, could be a lot worse.

Jim

KeithD
1st October 2009, 18:19
One of the main reasons the 1918-1920 flu pandemic killed so many people in the West is that many had lowered immune systems after years of bad diet due to the war, hygenie was bad, and life expectancy a lot lower, it is not really comparable with the West today.

belfast_dude
1st October 2009, 21:09

:doh:bigcry::ARsurrender:

JimOttley
1st October 2009, 23:37
One of the main reasons the 1918-1920 flu pandemic killed so many people in the West is that many had lowered immune systems after years of bad diet due to the war, hygenie was bad, and life expectancy a lot lower, it is not really comparable with the West today.

The 1918 strain was genetically sequenced in 2005 and was recreated in 2007, not sure exactly how but I think it was from the same tissue samples, from that time, that had been used for the sequencing.

In 2007 the recreated virus was used in experiments on monkeys who exhibited the symptoms of the 1918 pandemic and died from a cytokine storm, which was the prevailing cause of death in young healthy adults at the time.

I'm not scaremongering but one day something is going to cull the population to greater or lesser degree whether we like it or not :(

Jim

KeithD
2nd October 2009, 08:56
I'm not scaremongering but one day something is going to cull the population to greater or lesser degree whether we like it or not :(

Jim
That'll be famine and war that does that, no single virus can effect a complete population enough to decimate the world now due to the huge genetic diversity of the human race. Some folk are naturally immune to Aids, and after 20 years science has no idea why.

JimOttley
2nd October 2009, 09:07
That'll be famine and war that does that, no single virus can effect a complete population enough to decimate the world now due to the huge genetic diversity of the human race. Some folk are naturally immune to Aids, and after 20 years science has no idea why.

Agreed, it's not in the self interest of a disease to totally decimate its host.

However anything that comes along that has a 5% or greater mortality is going to be seriously noticable to the general public indeed even > 1% would be pretty noticable.

Jim

KeithD
2nd October 2009, 09:09
The death rate from piggy flu is less than standard flu, however the difference is that it either very mild, or in less than 1% of cases, extremely serious, no middle ground.

We should all be immune on here having spent years living around monkeys :omg:

:xxparty-smiley-004: