PDA

View Full Version : Saudia blame Philippine govt for Ondoy tragedy

GaryFifer
30th September 2009, 16:27
(source GMA NEWS TV 30/09/09 9:27PM)
A Saudi Arabian newspaper on Wednesday criticized past and present Philippine administrations for their "shortsighted" cost-cutting policy that may have contributed to the tragedy caused by tropical storm Ondoy (international name: Ketsana) over the weekend GMA Article continued here (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173519/saudi-paper-blames-rp-govt-for-ondoy-tragedy)

belfast_dude
30th September 2009, 20:45
:gp::iagree:...the government owes the people....they work for the people....for the last few months...all i have seen in the net is arroyo on holidays all over the world...turkey,libya,us....i think she will be remembered as a person who did nothing for the people...maybe i do not have a good knowledge of filipino politics...but i think i am sure she is not doing a good job...she had the chance to fix the wrongs of the marcos regime...and what did she do...???....nothing.....i hope the next president will be a good president....i know he cud not be a worse president

Sophie
30th September 2009, 21:09
:gp::iagree:...the government owes the people....they work for the people....for the last few months...all i have seen in the net is arroyo on holidays all over the world...turkey,libya,us....i think she will be remembered as a person who did nothing for the people...maybe i do not have a good knowledge of filipino politics...but i think i am sure she is not doing a good job...she had the chance to fix the wrongs of the marcos regime...and what did she do...???....nothing.....i hope the next president will be a good president....i know he cud not be a worse president

I don't think this politicians are there to work for the people nor to serve the people.....
they just want to get in the position to enrich themselves, purely self-serving.....
so if people will count on this politicians to make their lives better, that's wishful thinking.....
People should just work hard to better their lives and not depend on other people nor depend in the hopeless, useless government.....

Northerner
30th September 2009, 22:00
Although the Saudi's are correct in their assessment, it is a little short sighted!

It is easy for the Saudi's to criticize other nations when they themselves are sitting on the biggest oil reserves in the world and have few natural disasters to plan ahead for. And with their vast wealth they are building cities like there is no tomorrow. Basically, they have money for nothing! So planning ahead is not a problem.. And they can afford to commit serious human rights abuses and nobody will demand changes whilst dependant on that oil!

But getting back to the criticism of the Philippines. From the little I know of the modern political system of the Philippines, the people have suffered successive governments who line their own pockets whilst allowing the country to continue with a shockingly bad infrastructure! And with a national debt of 2.035 trillion pesos, real and constructive planning would need international help.

World governments are happy to send aid to help flood and earthquake victims, and clean up the mess. And it would be nice if the UN could help governments around the world build the infrastructure to deal with these disasters, with the aid of the international community... Or maybe I am just too much of a hippie! :beatnik2:

Sophie
1st October 2009, 17:19
Although the Saudi's are correct in their assessment, it is a little short sighted!

It is easy for the Saudi's to criticize other nations when they themselves are sitting on the biggest oil reserves in the world and have few natural disasters to plan ahead for. And with their vast wealth they are building cities like there is no tomorrow. Basically, they have money for nothing! So planning ahead is not a problem.. And they can afford to commit serious human rights abuses and nobody will demand changes whilst dependant on that oil!

But getting back to the criticism of the Philippines. From the little I know of the modern political system of the Philippines, the people have suffered successive governments who line their own pockets whilst allowing the country to continue with a shockingly bad infrastructure! And with a national debt of 2.035 trillion pesos, real and constructive planning would need international help.

World governments are happy to send aid to help flood and earthquake victims, and clean up the mess. And it would be nice if the UN could help governments around the world build the infrastructure to deal with these disasters, with the aid of the international community... Or maybe I am just too much of a hippie! :beatnik2:

As far as i know, other countries are sending millions of pesos to help out for the rebuilding as well as financial aid to those victims.....
The problem is, if this money will be handed directly to the government and political leaders, i doubt this will go to where it should go.....
This will just be another source for the politicians to corrupt and fill their own pockets,
specially with the election coming to a close, this politicians need funds for their campaign.....
I just hope that with so many financial help being extended by other countries,
that this money will really go to the calamity victims, not on the hands of the greedy officials....
in the first place, that's what this financial help are for - to help the victims and not to feed the greed of corrupt officials....

GaryFifer
1st October 2009, 17:57
As far as i know, other countries are sending millions of pesos to help out for the rebuilding as well as financial aid to those victims.....
The problem is, if this money will be handed directly to the government and political leaders, i doubt this will go to where it should go.....
This will just be another source for the politicians to corrupt and fill their own pockets,
specially with the election coming to a close, this politicians need funds for their campaign.....
I just hope that with so many financial help being extended by other countries,
that this money will really go to the calamity victims, not on the hands of the greedy officials....
in the first place, that's what this financial help are for - to help the victims and not to feed the greed of corrupt officials....

Just on one point, if you cannot trust politicians, do things yourselves. I don't know who said it, but if you want a job done right, do it yourself. I have seen some interesting video clips of how people are coping after the flooding. Making rafts and getting on it. Politicians cannot rule that. Although it helps to have someone like our Queen during the war. I guess she did her bit during those times. Older people than me know about that ;)

Sophie
1st October 2009, 21:41
Just on one point, if you cannot trust politicians, do things yourselves. I don't know who said it, but if you want a job done right, do it yourself. ;)

I totally agree :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Florge
2nd October 2009, 04:43
no one is to blame but us, filipinos. why? because we chose these politicians... we allowed vote-buying... we know that senator this or congressman that would buy votes.. and what do we do? we let them! and we even vote for them...and if ever we didn't, we allowed them to manipulate the counting... we don't educate the uneducated about politics... we are also corrupt... we don't attend the seminars in LTO when we get our license or car's registration.. or when we get our NBI clearance... or when we transact businesses in any government agencies... we go to fixers... because we don't want the hassle.. and isn't that simply corruption?

when we are flagged down by a traffic officer.. what do we do? we bribe them.. so, in the end, it becomes the norm... we create the norms in our society... we initiate practices in our country.. and we blame only the government for that? we created our government.. we allow all these to happen... I allow these things to happen. We all contribute to the greater scheme of things!

yes, it is the duty of our government to give us what we need, but let's not forget that we also have the duty to ourselves, our community, and our country to uphold the law, ensure that the law is being followed by everyone, to help each other in our own little way...

all i'm saying is... well, clearly... let's stop blaming whoever.. may it be our government or the tricyle driver... we are all to blame... we keep damaging our environment.. we don't segregate and recycle even if there's a law on that.. we have the clean air act and yet every time we renew our car's registration, we secretly pay the emmission center just so they give us a clearance.. we don't abide by the laws and yet we complain about corruption...

maybe the biggest challenge for us filipinos is to learn how to change ourselves first... be true to our pledge of allegiance (panatang makabayan)... show and not just talk about our love for our country... sa isip, sa salita, at sa gawa (in mind, in words, and in deeds)

"ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" - jfk

scott&ligaya
2nd October 2009, 05:31
Hi Florge, well said, if only every filipino tok that attitude maybe things would change

pennybarry
2nd October 2009, 08:14
I don't blame the Filipino people at all, but we can wake them up !:omg::icon_lol:

We are the weather bureau in our own country as PAGASA has no Doppler radar equipment.:D Will the government will spend the money and allocates to buy such equipments? Or they are now busy spending money posturing to cameras?

People accepts vote buying because of poverty created by corrupt politicians. People learned to touch the sharp edge of knife but there's also smart citizens who don't allow themselves to do such wrong doings of corrupt politicians.:xxgrinning--00xx3: Politicians knows every filipino's weaknesses!!!

Is there any govenrment and governance? Wake up sitting corrupt politicians!!!!

adam&chryss
2nd October 2009, 10:41
no one is to blame but us, filipinos. why? because we chose these politicians... we allowed vote-buying... we know that senator this or congressman that would buy votes.. and what do we do? we let them! and we even vote for them...and if ever we didn't, we allowed them to manipulate the counting... we don't educate the uneducated about politics... we are also corrupt... we don't attend the seminars in LTO when we get our license or car's registration.. or when we get our NBI clearance... or when we transact businesses in any government agencies... we go to fixers... because we don't want the hassle.. and isn't that simply corruption?

when we are flagged down by a traffic officer.. what do we do? we bribe them.. so, in the end, it becomes the norm... we create the norms in our society... we initiate practices in our country.. and we blame only the government for that? we created our government.. we allow all these to happen... I allow these things to happen. We all contribute to the greater scheme of things!

yes, it is the duty of our government to give us what we need, but let's not forget that we also have the duty to ourselves, our community, and our country to uphold the law, ensure that the law is being followed by everyone, to help each other in our own little way...

all i'm saying is... well, clearly... let's stop blaming whoever.. may it be our government or the tricyle driver... we are all to blame... we keep damaging our environment.. we don't segregate and recycle even if there's a law on that.. we have the clean air act and yet every time we renew our car's registration, we secretly pay the emmission center just so they give us a clearance.. we don't abide by the laws and yet we complain about corruption...

maybe the biggest challenge for us filipinos is to learn how to change ourselves first... be true to our pledge of allegiance (panatang makabayan)... show and not just talk about our love for our country... sa isip, sa salita, at sa gawa (in mind, in words, and in deeds)

"ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" - jfk

:xxgrinning--00xx3:
i definitely agree with you florge!

stop blaming.. better to do what everyone must do after that tragedy. It's a wake up call for all of us!

GaryFifer
2nd October 2009, 12:31
I remember reading Peter and Gina blog. Peter was the only one watching TV when the President was addressing the nation. She talked about policies and how great things are than before, and then things went downhill at the end of her speech when she started personal insults about the other party. Meanwhile at the house the Filipinos were eating and drinking and talking, not interested in TV. Perhaps there is a lack of interest, an apathy. This flood should bring the country together for the common good.

Sophie
2nd October 2009, 23:07

very well said florge, i coudn't agree more :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
2nd October 2009, 23:22
I am not up on the politics of the Philippines, but know the Saudi system well. How they can critisize is beyond me. They allow Philippine workers into their country to do their dirty work for them, treat the Philippine people like rubbish, pay them a pittance, take away any freedom they have, and in most cases their passportts too. Slavery is alive and well in the middle east, been there.....seen it!.

I agree that in the present climate of disaster and poverty more should be done, but what ? do any governments ever serve the people more than they serve themselves?

GaryFifer
3rd October 2009, 01:24
I am not up on the politics of the Philippines, but know the Saudi system well. How they can critisize is beyond me. They allow Philippine workers into their country to do their dirty work for them, treat the Philippine people like rubbish, pay them a pittance, take away any freedom they have, and in most cases their passportts too. Slavery is alive and well in the middle east, been there.....seen it!.

I agree that in the present climate of disaster and poverty more should be done, but what ? do any governments ever serve the people more than they serve themselves?

If you say Saudi is like that.do not work for people like that, and have pride in yourselves. Money is not everything.

Steve.r
3rd October 2009, 18:57
If you say Saudi is like that.do not work for people like that, and have pride in yourselves. Money is not everything.

I agree

somebody
3rd October 2009, 21:39

Very true peer pressure if people had carried on the good work when they took on Marcos regime and said no more. But i certainly dont blame people for finding it tough as people need to look after themsleves and families.

One of the biggest issues I think Phill has is that due to it being so tough to travel abroad to see how other systems work. Most of those that do and go back have made their money. They are comfortable and allright jack so let the staus quo carry on.

Well put Flogre:xxgrinning--00xx3: