PDA

View Full Version : cockroach rant

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 16:16
:cwm23:You want a rant? I got a rant for ya.

Cockroaches.:bigcry: Lamok (Mosquitoes):angry:. Lamigas (ants):NoNo:. EVERY WHERE!:Brick: ARRRGH:cwm23:

Mabuhay sa Pilipinas :)

LadyJ
3rd October 2009, 16:21
:icon_lol:something different compare to UK..

wear a protective bee suit?:Erm:

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 16:27
:icon_lol:something different compare to UK..

wear a protective bee suit?:Erm:

I am also scared of bees and wasps, but the saying goes, "better the devil you know . . . "!

And bees and wasps are slightly cuter - being yellow and all ...

but I'm sure a sting is very sore ... I am glad I've never been stung :):xxgrinning--00xx3:

pumpkins
3rd October 2009, 16:48

Cockroaches.:bigcry: Lamok (Mosquitoes):angry:. Lamigas (ants):NoNo:. EVERY WHERE!:Brick: ARRRGH:cwm23:

lamigas ( ants )???
or langgam:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 16:57
Binisaya lang ;)

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 17:08
never mind phils, whats them little black insects you find in the rice, i caught 2 of them the other day having :Sex:

the misses said ' i'll wash the rice' :vomit-smiley-011:

one reason i don't eat rice :doh

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 17:14
never mind phils, whats them little black insects you find in the rice, i caught 2 of them the other day having :Sex:

having lived here for a year, I'm used to them things, indeed, I don't watch when the missus gets the rice and washes it :)

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 17:20
having lived here for a year

well the first time i went to the phils, i saw a 1ft lizard (tuko) run across the ceiling, misses told me it lives there :yikes:

a year, what did you do, just chill out :rolleyes:

i wished i had done the same :D

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 17:25
lol

I feel just how darn british I am every day when I get impatient. It seems that Filipinos don't get impatient or complain about anything. I'm constantly reminded of my stiff britishness!

I saw a couple of them tuko, and the coconut tree lizards about 7 inches can fly and nip your skin!

My wife knows the score, if there's a cockroach in the house, I must see it's dead body before it's OK for us to go to bed. I don't care who kills it. It must die :)

I'm good that way!

pumpkins
3rd October 2009, 17:34
Binisaya lang ;)

oh... sorry jim:doh

KeithD
3rd October 2009, 17:35
I used to keep cockroaches as pets....nice cute things :)

gWaPito
3rd October 2009, 17:43

Yummy too.....crunchy on the outside with a soft centre, best eaten live :xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 17:44
when bodybuilding you need protein :D

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 17:52

me fear no insects scouser keith, i'll catch them and evict them, but some of them big flying coachroaches :NoNo:

:ARsurrender:

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 17:58
i think they are called weavels ,, disgusting, i remember once going to help out at an orphanage and the milk powder was full of them, but the babies had to drink the milk, and they were just left at the bottom of the bottles, disgusting

i think your nearly right :xxgrinning--00xx3:

but checking the web, i think they are weevils :Erm:

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/graphics1/emergingweevils.jpg

Female grain weevils lay from 36 to 254 eggs at a rate of 2-3 a day. At 80 to 86°F, 75 to 90% relative humidity, eggs hatch in wheat with a moisture content of 13.5 to 19.6% in 3 days. Larvae mature in 18 days, and the pupa in 6 days. The life cycle is about 30 to 40 days during the summer, and 123 to 148 days during the winter, depending on temperature. Adults live 7 to 8 months. Female rice weevils lay between 300 to 400 eggs, with the life cycle requiring about 32 days for completion. Rice weevil adults live 3 to 6 months, infesting grain in the field, especially in the tropics and sub-tropics, in fact it is one of the most serious pests. Two larvae can develop in one wheat kernel, but only one larva of the granary weevil can develop per wheat kernel. Both granary and rice weevils feign death by drawing up their legs close to the body, falling, and remaining silent when disturbed.

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7c.htm

i'll never eat rice again :cwm24: :doh

James Hubbard
3rd October 2009, 18:48
That's a beautiful image now for me just going to bed. Thanks for that ;)

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 18:50
That's a beautiful image now for me just going to bed. Thanks for that ;)

sorry, dream of a spud then.. good old fish and chips :rolleyes:
non of that pesky rice :NoNo:

bornatbirth
3rd October 2009, 18:56
waking up in the middle of the night and going to get a drink and switching the light on,seeing all the cockroaches running for cover can send a shiver down my spine.

i fell asleep while my wife was having a shower and woke up as there was a itch on my butt,thinking there was a cockroach on my butt i almost jumped out of bed...only to find it was my wife looking at my butt :Erm: :rolleyes:

JimOttley
3rd October 2009, 20:52

Seriously Joe?

I could not live without rice!

The only problem with our place in the phils is a drain in the kitchen area, we have a metal plate that sits on top of it, if we lift the plate it's like those things in the "Mummy" movie yuck, they pour out in a torrent, it's fun bygone'ing them though :)

Jim

Sim11UK
4th October 2009, 05:08
I hate the cockroaches too, I can deal with the 5" spider in the house & I like the lizards. The ants & mosquitos are a pain, but when a huge cockroach runs over my foot, I scream like a girl. :yikes:....I'm staying here for a couple of months. :)

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 05:37
lol, I've been here a year and it's still not long enough to get used to the cockroaches!

Also, lizards are fine, until you get hit with lizard poo a couple of times :(

aromulus
4th October 2009, 08:09
Seriously Joe?

I could not live without rice!

The only problem with our place in the phils is a drain in the kitchen area, we have a metal plate that sits on top of it, if we lift the plate it's like those things in the "Mummy" movie yuck, they pour out in a torrent, it's fun bygone'ing them though :)

Jim

Nothing that a good dose of industrial strenght Jeyes fluid can't cope with....:D

IainBusby
4th October 2009, 09:37
me fear no insects scouser keith, i'll catch them and evict them, but some of them big flying coachroaches :NoNo:

:ARsurrender:

Oh Noooooo. On my first visit to Phils one of those things started flying around the bedroom and I jumped out of the bed and said to the missus, what the bloody hell is that, to which she replied, dont worry, it won't hurt you, it's only a cockroach. Only.............. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

jimeve
4th October 2009, 10:05
Roaches in phils seem to be slow moving compared to those in Spain,I worked in a bar in Spain for two years, and by law had to get the place fumigated every year, never seen so many dead roaches.

bornatbirth
4th October 2009, 10:41
i also found them softer too?

when you stamp on them :D

Tawi2
4th October 2009, 10:45
Just do what the Thais do,fry them and eat them,they are all carapace and chitin,no taste really except for the oil they were fried in :)

jimeve
4th October 2009, 10:47
i also found them softer too?

when you stamp on them :D

not the same crunch, those in Spain run up the leg as you try to stomp on them

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 10:47
Just do what the Thais do,fry them and eat them,they are all carapace and chitin,no taste really except for the oil they were fried in :)

remind me to watch what I eat when I visit thailand

Tawi2
4th October 2009, 10:52
remind me to watch what I eat when I visit thailand

I actually paid for them,from a stall that sold me a pick'n'mix of assorted locust,cockroach,ants eggs and a big type of fried spider :Erm:They all tasted like crap to be honest but the most memorable thing I can recall was how dirty the oil looked in the wok :icon_lol:

jimeve
4th October 2009, 10:57
I actually paid for them,from a stall that sold me a pick'n'mix of assorted locust,cockroach,ants eggs and a big type of fried spider :Erm:They all tasted like crap to be honest but the most memorable thing I can recall was how dirty the oil looked in the wok :icon_lol:

they never change the oil,just leave it overnite uncoverd and let the insects crawl in, then morning time instant breaky.:icon_lol:

Tawi2
4th October 2009, 11:10
they never change the oil,just leave it overnite uncoverd and let the insects crawl in, then morning time instant breaky.:icon_lol:

:icon_lol: Like a beer slug-trap :icon_lol:

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 11:11
I think i'm getting nauseous

jimeve
4th October 2009, 11:14
:icon_lol: Like a beer slug-trap :icon_lol:

yeah,:xxgrinning--00xx3:good memory mate.:icon_lol:

scottishbride
5th October 2009, 05:39
lol

My wife knows the score, if there's a cockroach in the house, I must see it's dead body before it's OK for us to go to bed. I don't care who kills it. It must die :)

I'm good that way! I am actually brutal with cockroach and mosquito :D!!! I don't want any of it in my house! So whenever I see one of it sneaking in my house, I chase it with Baygon or slipper! :icon_lol:

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 07:45
I am actually brutal with cockroach and mosquito :D!!! I don't want any of it in my house! So whenever I see one of it sneaking in my house, I chase it with Baygon or slipper! :icon_lol:

Me too, exactly. My wife is more bahala na:NoNo::Brick:. If the cockroach hides, her attitude is like "ok, it's gone now".

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there! :cwm23::furious3::Brick:

Baygon, slippers. Yes. Me too :D:cwm12:

gWaPito
5th October 2009, 08:46

hi james, I had my first experience of sleeping below a gecko or as some on here call it a tuko because that is the sound it makes. When it first kicked off it gave a sound of clearing it's throat then, what a noise! :omg: I woke Jane with my impression of jumping out of my skin, she said it only gecko so, we watched it catching flys above us.

Jane and I were staying in a nipa hut on the sea front so I guess we were the guests and the animals were the residents.

Another one we came across in our bathroom, (I will add, not in the same sense us soft brits call a bathroom.) was the crabs that borrows shells to wear, crazy or what? :cwm3:

jam07
5th October 2009, 12:02
brit guys chasing cockroaches with tsinelas and baygon... hmm.. what a sight would that be! lol! :)) :P :D

scott&ligaya
5th October 2009, 13:13
when stopping at our place, prior to our arrival our caretaker pays some local school kids to blitz the house, kill everything that crawls (tukos are fine they eat wee small beasties) go through several sticks of anti ant chalk around the kitchen work tops and doorway sand set out the coils in advance. One of the local neighbours has a pest control business and they hit the place twice a year as well. House rule number 9 (the breaking of which is instant dismissal) is Sir must not find any ants in his bag of pandesal or coffee cup 1st thing in the morning. Only topped by house rule 10 Never run out beer!!

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 13:28
brit guys chasing cockroaches with tsinelas and baygon... hmm.. what a sight would that be! lol! :)) :P :D

That's the sight every day in my house here in Philippines.

AyinX
5th October 2009, 13:34

haha! i should've taken a photo of my husband doing just that! :icon_lol:

I used to leave the cockroaches alone, until one bit by bum.. :cwm23:

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 13:40
Then it was war! There's only one person I allow to bite my bum ;)

AyinX
5th October 2009, 13:42
Then it was war! There's only one person I allow to bite my bum ;)

it was indeed! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 13:44
Your thumb is pointing to my bum (comment) lolz

AyinX
5th October 2009, 13:50
Your thumb is pointing to my bum (comment) lolz

how did you know?? :omg::icon_lol:

Tawi2
5th October 2009, 14:22
Tuckos are the biggest species of Gecko on the planet,I once watched one stalk and eat a ticki,I have a friend with an aviary of small finches on his garden,he told me some of his chicks were eaten by a tucko,I caught one once which drew blood when it began gnawing my knuckle :cwm24: Could be worse though,I saw Komodo dragons in Indo,at least we dont have them racing around the ceilings :xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 17:20
how did you know?? :omg::icon_lol:

Trust me, if I know anything, it's that :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

whiteraven
5th October 2009, 17:33
watching kimono dragons on the ceiling is usually after too much redhorse:D

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 18:06
watching kimono dragons on the ceiling is usually after too much redhorse:D

you mean there's a such thing as "too much" red horse? For me it's usually til I either pass out or choke on my own vomit.

Actually, red horse, really catches up on one.

I started on that stuff when I moved here a year ago...

I'm on the beer na beer P155 now! lol:ARsurrender:

KeithD
5th October 2009, 19:38
From a biological point of view, not all roaches have cocks :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lizaphil
5th October 2009, 20:13
Yummy too.....crunchy on the outside with a soft centre, best eaten live :xxgrinning--00xx3:

did you eat crickets???

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 20:40
From a biological point of view, not all roaches have cocks :xxgrinning--00xx3:

what do you call the other kind? :rolleyes:

Piamed
5th October 2009, 20:52
I ahte cockroaches most of all but was in a real state the other day when when travelled to Manila from Surigao. I decided to empty the suitcases to make sure we got rid of as many ants as possible. I dropped the Ipod adapter in the bathroom and Pia and I were astonished to find thousands upon thousands of ants of all levels of maturity pouring out.

We spent 45 mins pouring hot water and disinfectant in and then double bagged it when we felt sure the ants were dead. 1 week later in the UK we found live ants inside the bag.

jam07
6th October 2009, 02:40
Tuckos are the biggest species of Gecko on the planet,I once watched one stalk and eat a ticki,I have a friend with an aviary of small finches on his garden,he told me some of his chicks were eaten by a tucko,I caught one once which drew blood when it began gnawing my knuckle :cwm24: Could be worse though,I saw Komodo dragons in Indo,at least we dont have them racing around the ceilings :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We have 2 or 3 tukos on our house in Romblon. They were very noisy specially at night and I was praying hard that they wont fall down on me as they stay at the top of the cieling :omg: :cwm24: wasnt able to sleep well that night :doh :bigcry:

James Hubbard
6th October 2009, 06:36
1 week later in the UK we found live ants inside the bag.

You mean you didn't fully escape them when you came back to heaven :doh erm, I mean home to UK

Florge
6th October 2009, 07:33
eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww..... i hate roaches... that's why i made sure there's none in my house...

when bf was here for a visit, we had one roach in my bedroom curtain.. we both screamed and no one wants to get in the room to kill it... i'm so scared of it flying over my head, and he's scared of it because i'm scared so he thought it is something deadly... LOL... my sister had to get the Baygon and spray on it until it died!

James Hubbard
6th October 2009, 07:36
eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww..... i hate roaches... that's why i made sure there's none in my house...

when bf was here for a visit, we had one roach in my bedroom curtain.. we both screamed and no one wants to get in the room to kill it... i'm so scared of it flying over my head, and he's scared of it because i'm scared so he thought it is something deadly... LOL... my sister had to get the Baygon and spray on it until it died!

LoL, yeah, when I get in a screamy mood about cockroaches, and my wife needs to give the roach the baygon or tsinela treatment, she tells me that she's the man of the house ;):Help1:

Florge
6th October 2009, 08:16
LoL, yeah, when I get in a screamy mood about cockroaches, and my wife needs to give the roach the baygon or tsinela treatment, she tells me that she's the man of the house ;):Help1:

LOL.... you're funny!!!

James Hubbard
6th October 2009, 08:17
LOL.... you're funny!!!

salamat!

I am also funny looking!

KeithD
6th October 2009, 08:53
Easy way to get rid of roaches is buy a cage and catch a lizard, then leave jummy roach food in the cage......the lizard will be happy in the morning :)

James Hubbard
6th October 2009, 09:05
Then cook the nice fat lizard for dinner :)

KeithD
6th October 2009, 09:06
Then cook the nice fat lizard for dinner :)
:yikes: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! My pet darlin' :bigcry:

James Hubbard
6th October 2009, 09:11
lolz, it's ok, we'll get you another one :)