PDA

View Full Version : Transitional Arrangements for earned citizenship announced by Border Agency

Pepe n Pilar
3rd October 2009, 19:55
IMMIGRATION MATTERS

Transitional arrangements for earned citizenship announced by Border Agency

By Charles Kelly

03 October 2009

Reprieve for migrants with Indefinite Leave to Remain. The UK Border Agency has announced transitional arrangements for migrants who will be on the ‘journey to British citizenship’ when earned citizenship is introduced.
The UK Government has agreed the following transitional arrangements:

•If a migrant has already been given indefinite leave to remain (ILR - also known as settlement) on the date when earned citizenship is introduced, they will automatically be considered to be a ‘permanent resident’. They will not need to pay or apply for this to occur. They will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.
•If a migrant has applied for indefinite leave to remain before the date when earned citizenship is introduced, and is subsequently granted indefinite leave to remain, they will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.
•The government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.
•The introduction of earned citizenship has been postponed by six months, to give people time to adjust to the new system and to allow more applicants who are already in the United Kingdom to apply under the current rules. Earned citizenship will now be introduced in July 2011.

:)

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 20:02
I
•The government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.

what about those on workpermits, why are those on hsmp given more rights? :NoNo:

those who come on workpermits should have the same rights as those on hsmp

:furious3:

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 22:34
Why ! what makes you say that !!!

both are immigrant workers thats why :doh

why should workpermit holders be treated differently than hsmp.

infact workpermit holders should have more rights to stay than hsmp, as they have had to stick in the same type of job for 5yrs unlike hsmp.

darren-b
3rd October 2009, 22:50
both are immigrant workers thats why :doh

why should workpermit holders be treated differently than hsmp.

infact workpermit holders should have more rights to stay than hsmp, as they have had to stick in the same type of job for 5yrs unlike hsmp.

The difference is that the Uk wants to attract highly skilled people to the uk, where normal work permit holder don't need to be attracted as they want to come here for their own benefit. Aren't normal work permit holders losing their rights to permanent residency under the new rules?

joebloggs
3rd October 2009, 23:11
The difference is that the Uk wants to attract highly skilled people to the uk, where normal work permit holder don't need to be attracted as they want to come here for their own benefit. Aren't normal work permit holders losing their rights to permanent residency under the new rules?

hsmp can apply for any job, taking highly skilled jobs away from brits, no control on what jobs they apply for, as the gov discovered when british medical students couldn't find work or training becuase of the numbers here on hsmp. so the gov try to make it more difficult for hsmp to apply for training posts.get taken to court and lose on any retro changes.

why shouldn't someone who's given 5yrs of their life working here, with out any recourse to public funds not be entitled to stay here? europeans only have to work here a year to get them same benefits.

yes i've seen somewhere that workpermit holders cannot get ilr/PR.

wachovia
4th October 2009, 02:11
I'm on HSMP (well, Tier 1, same thing though) paying my NI and will be paying tax but with no recourse to public funds as well. I'm scared of getting sick as it would be very expensive for me. So, I'm in the same boat as the people with work permits. I'm just thinking it will be 8 years for me before I can have a British passport. 2 more visa extensions if I'm lucky to have them approved.

darren-b
4th October 2009, 07:16
hsmp can apply for any job, taking highly skilled jobs away from brits, no control on what jobs they apply for, as the gov discovered when british medical students couldn't find work or training becuase of the numbers here on hsmp. so the gov try to make it more difficult for hsmp to apply for training posts.get taken to court and lose on any retro changes.

why shouldn't someone who's given 5yrs of their life working here, with out any recourse to public funds not be entitled to stay here? europeans only have to work here a year to get them same benefits.

yes i've seen somewhere that workpermit holders cannot get ilr/PR.

If the HSMP/Tier 1 is attracting highly silled people we don't need then that is a failing of that particular system.

The EU/benefits arguements are irrelevant. The joining of the EU removes some of our control, and someone who is here to work should be able to support themselves out of the money they earn.

In my opinion Tier 2 visas ought to be used for the benefit of the country to fill jobs when required - basically offered if and when we need them for limited periods with no offer of permanent residency. At the end of if the immigrant worker doesn't like it they don't have to come here.

joebloggs
4th October 2009, 08:18
I'm on HSMP (well, Tier 1, same thing though) paying my NI and will be paying tax but with no recourse to public funds as well. I'm scared of getting sick as it would be very expensive for me. So, I'm in the same boat as the people with work permits. I'm just thinking it will be 8 years for me before I can have a British passport. 2 more visa extensions if I'm lucky to have them approved.

major difference is you can go and apply for any job you want and you dont need to find a new job within 28 days if your made redundant/quit etc..

it can only get more difficult for those wanting to come here on hsmp or workpermits, tier 1 you need a masters degree.

wachovia
5th October 2009, 22:22
yup, I can apply for any job, but that doesn't mean I can get any job I want. Took me 2 months to get a job here. I even applied for some salesperson positions but I'm not qualified because I haven't got the experience even just to sell candies.

Anyway, it's hard being an immigrant, whatever your visa may be.

joebloggs
6th October 2009, 19:00
Anyway, it's hard being an immigrant, whatever your visa may be.

true but how much harder would it be if you were restricted to the type of job which is listed on your workpermit and having to find that job within 28 days .. :NoNo:

jobs are difficult to get for brits to, i've been made redundant 3 times in the lasty 8yrs :NoNo: