PDA

View Full Version : Members who holds dual citizenship

Tish
4th October 2009, 12:32
Any members here with dual citizenship (Filipino & British)?

A friend of mine who just been for Dual oath taking this week was told that once dual nationality is obtain, one can only be away from Britain for a period of 2 years, and if one stays out longer than that will lose their British citizenship! :doh

what do you think?

Tish

somebody
4th October 2009, 12:34

A friend of mine who just been for Dual oath taking this week was told that once dual nationality is obtain, one can only be away from Britain for a period of 2 years, and if one stays out longer than that will lose their British citizenship! :doh

what do you think?

Tish

I know if your a British resident (i.e ILR) if you leave the UK for more than two years in one go you may lose the right. But once a citzen always a citzen i belive:Erm:

Tish
4th October 2009, 12:36
once a citzen always a citzen i belive:Erm:

That's what I thought :Erm:

Tish

Tish
4th October 2009, 12:41
With only having ILR; once a person stays out for over 2 years, one will lose their ILR and have to re-apply again.

With regard to obtaining British citizenship, I thougt it's a permanent status regardless :NoNo:

Tish

Tish
4th October 2009, 12:46
To all the mods and the boss,

I think I've put this in the wrong thread:doh

Tish

somebody
4th October 2009, 12:50
Hi Tish,

Well doesn't mention it here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

But does have a point worth highlighting that you when in the other country you hold citzenship for you cant use the services of the British Embassy.

Here is wikipedias take on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#Automatic_loss_of_British_nationality

joebloggs
4th October 2009, 12:58
cannot take citizenship away from you, can only be revoked i think if you obtained it using fraud or something like terrorism.

not true about the 2yrs - thats if you have ILR.

Tish
4th October 2009, 13:00
Hi Tish,

Well doesn't mention it here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

But does have a point worth highlighting that you when in the other country you hold citzenship for you cant use the services of the British Embassy.

Here is wikipedias take on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#Automatic_loss_of_British_nationality

Thanks for the links Somebody, it's very much appreciated :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tish

Tish
4th October 2009, 13:07
cannot take citizenship away from you, can only be revoked i think if you obtained it using fraud or something like terrorism.

Maybe my friend have misunderstood the information?:NoNo:

My understanding is that once you're British, always be British.

But according to my friend who's just been for her dual citizenship, that once dual nationality is obtain at the Philippine embassy, one can no longer stay in Philippines for more than 2 years, as your British citizenship will be revoke :doh And I can't find any exact informaiton to confirm this type of situation.

Will I hope my friend just misunderstood the information. Because I myself, don't fancy losing my Britishness :doh Not that I've taken up dual citizenship yet :D

Tish

somebody
4th October 2009, 14:11
cannot take citizenship away from you, can only be revoked i think if you obtained it using fraud, or being a southerner or something like terrorism.

I agree with all those

joebloggs
4th October 2009, 14:24
i agree with that you agree with me andy :D

Tish
4th October 2009, 14:33
i agree with that you agree with me andy :D

:icon_lol: The famous Nod goes a long way and so as 'yes dear' :Rasp:

Tish

jimeve
4th October 2009, 15:54
Yep,once a Brit,always a Brit.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ayjay
4th October 2009, 20:34

what do you think?

Tish

My three kids have dual nationality, two born on the Phils and one in Abu Dhabi. Once you have British nationality and a passport you can stay out of the country as long as you want, and renew your passport overseas.

AJ