PDA

View Full Version : 1707

Arthur Little
12th October 2009, 14:35
Clearing out some old newspapers the other day, I came across a supplement from the 'Scotsman' dated Tuesday, 16 January 2007, commemorating the 300th anniversary of the Anglo-Scottish Treaty of Union. And I thought, "Hmm, what an ideal way of marking my 1,707th post!"

Those of you who are familiar with my occasional :Cuckoo: ramblings on matters historical, will be thinking: ":omg: ... here's Arthur at it again!" But, more than a decade down the line since the official opening of the first devolved Scottish Parliament in almost three centuries, I daresay I'm not alone in wondering if either of the two nations have benefitted in any way from what COULD conceivably lead to the eventual split-up of the United Kingdom as generations of proud British Citizens have known it ...!

In much the same manner, the formation of the Welsh Assembly has provided Wales with greater legislature in the governance of its own affairs. And, of course, the Irish Free State came into being early in the 20th Century.

But has it all been worth it, folks? :rolleyes:

GaryFifer
12th October 2009, 14:46
Clearing out some old newspapers the other day, I came across a supplement from the 'Scotsman' dated Tuesday, 16 January 2007, commemorating the 300th anniversary of the Anglo-Scottish Treaty of Union. And I thought, "Hmm, what an ideal way of marking my 1,707th post!"

Those of you who are familiar with my occasional :Cuckoo: ramblings on matters historical, will be thinking: ":omg: ... here's Arthur at it again!" But, more than a decade down the line since the official opening of the first devolved Scottish Parliament in almost three centuries, I daresay I'm not alone in wondering if either of the two nations have benefitted in any way from what COULD conceivably lead to the eventual split-up of the United Kingdom as generations of proud British Citizens have known it ...!

In much the same manner, the formation of the Welsh Assembly has provided Wales with greater legislature in the governance of its own affairs. And, of course, the Irish Free State came into being early in the 20th Century.

But has it all been worth it, folks? :rolleyes:

It's the first step. I do not like the building.It was unfortunate about the architect&the choices that happen.But a building does not make the choices, it is the people. I wish our love affair and our attitude to drinking and "having a laugh" was different. Discipline and respect have gone. I was the last to do the Ordinary Grade (do you remember these?) before they scrapped them for Standard Grades.
I do not think the education system is as good as it used to be. Coursework is the majority of the marks. The exam is deemed too stressful for the kids. University let students in based on A grades that are devalued, as everyone has an A, so no I do not think our future is good at present.:NoNo:

vbkelly
12th October 2009, 15:30
i thought 1707 is your age lol

aromulus
12th October 2009, 19:31
the formation of the Welsh Assembly has provided Wales with greater legislature in the governance of its own affairs. :rolleyes:

I thought long and hard, and reluctantly I had to make my mind up wether move this to the humour section of the forum or not.....:Erm:

I tossed for it in the end....:NoNo:

But it is a very funny statement, as westminster has been pulling the strings all along...:omg:

walesrob
12th October 2009, 19:44
the formation of the Welsh Assembly has provided Wales with greater legislature in the governance of its own affairs.

The Welsh Assembly is a bit of a bad joke to be honest, we have no say over finances, defence, foreign affairs, its all dictated by some people in the London village.

Wales will never be independent from the rest of the UK, not in my lifetime anyway, the thought of Plaid Cymru nutters running Wales fills me with dread. Plaid Cymru are a bit like New Labour, a bit of a fraud. They say one minute they want to unite Wales, then a certain Dafydd Iwan, the President of Plaid, wants all "English" retired people to return to where they came from because they could be a burden on the Welsh economy. I have the displeasure of having to work with these Welsh Nationalists and they are very unpleasant people. Ship them all out to Patagonia, they be much happier out there. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
12th October 2009, 20:00
maybe we could have a civil war,to sort it all out :Erm:

GaryFifer
13th October 2009, 21:11
The Welsh Assembly is a bit of a bad joke to be honest, we have no say over finances, defence, foreign affairs, its all dictated by some people in the London village.

Wales will never be independent from the rest of the UK, not in my lifetime anyway, the thought of Plaid Cymru nutters running Wales fills me with dread. Plaid Cymru are a bit like New Labour, a bit of a fraud. They say one minute they want to unite Wales, then a certain Dafydd Iwan, the President of Plaid, wants all "English" retired people to return to where they came from because they could be a burden on the Welsh economy. I have the displeasure of having to work with these Welsh Nationalists and they are very unpleasant people. Ship them all out to Patagonia, they be much happier out there. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Return from whence you came? Why is only old English people? That is silly. An old English veteran could have fought in the war and now he gets kicked out of the country. That would make wonderful headlines in the sun

WELSH KICK OUT OLD WAR HERO.:doh

Well, every time you see the VOTE NO people, remember, it is your country, change it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
13th October 2009, 21:24
my parents moved to wales back in 2000 to buy a cheaper house,only thing is they want to move back here but need another retired couple from the uk to buy it :icon_lol:

so if you know any welsh who will buy there house,let me know :D